The Role of Meditation in the Work

whitecoast said:
In a nutshell, could the energy I'm saving in trying to be impeccable be wasted by focusing my attention on the blissful pleasures of meditation? As another draw into illusion, or an incentive to disengage from the world? I know the beliefs about renunciation and "letting go of the world" that the Theravada Buddhists practice, and I want no part of that.

I think the state of bliss will be there since it might simply be a chemical refection of something much deeper that you may be making contact with. I'll feel it when pondering on ideas and seeing patterns of significance in their interconnections but even then, I think, this is still a 'state' that's limited (to greater and lesser degrees). What you might be making a connection with (and this is just my opinion) is something that goes even beyond conditioned states and even beyond ideas themselves. Possibly it's like being in a receptive mode of readiness to receive something where ideas and patterns take form in your consciousness.

But whatever it is, it may be a world that's 'beyond form' that your making a very, very brief contact with and it may feel blissful when this happens but I don't think it's a 'blissful world.' It's just that your state of non anticipation to receive something from this formless world (that takes some kind of form in your consciousness) can feel' blissful' when your in this pure state of non anticipation which may only last for a very brief moment before, of course, it can (and probably will) become all subjective when you cling to the forms and the feelings associated with it! Just my opinion of course FWIW.

whitecoast said:
Even though I've have many benefits and increased reality-engagement recently (even just two weeks after, I've been meditating more, getting up earlier to be more productive in the mornings, gaming far less, et cetera), it is something I wanted to bring up here.

One thing I realized while typing all this out is that I should probably remember that meditation is a means to an end, and my end is to reach higher levels of being/knowing to better serve others. I guess from that perspective enjoying meditation isn't necessarily a bad thing unless I don't set it aside once its job is done in helping me (in whatever way it does) become more STO-oriented.

*Shrugs* Does it stop being part of The Work once it starts feeling less like work? :P

It appears you have already had some practical results from your work as you've written above. So tangible results can provide a benchmark for how effective your practice is. G.'s activities were about continuously improving the quality of human beings. Are you becoming more able to serve others in your everyday life? Are you a better friend and a better son? Are you a better member of your workplace?

The soul needs nourishment just as the body does, and imo, might "enjoy" feeling nourished. It only becomes a problem when that pleasure becomes something that disengages you from the responsibilities of 3D life. You already seem to be aware of that.

Hey, thanks for the feedback all :lol:

Obyvatel, I do have a semi-consistent schedule - meditating a half hour to an hour with EE mixed in either in the morning or at night 3-4 nights a week. I've actually noticed it's much harder to meditate in the mornings, and reach the same level of non-anticipation/focus/awareness as I do at night. I was wondering if it had something to do with how my centers were being plundered. Similar to how a water bucket with a hole on the side of it rapidly gushes out water initially, then reduces as the water line matches the hole's position. Maybe my sex center energy, which is plundered a lot by my mental center, has much more energy in the morning and gushes out through the leaks in my machine, but does so in a way that's much easier to control later in the day (since most of it is spent already by then)? :huh: My mind can never seem to shut up earlier in the day, hehe.

Kenlee, thanks for you input - the whole "being obsessed and fixed on a temporal state of being" makes a lot of sense... as long as the blissful state is not harmful in itself I'm at peace with it (which is what my main concern was).

herondancer said:
It appears you have already had some practical results from your work as you've written above. So tangible results can provide a benchmark for how effective your practice is. G.'s activities were about continuously improving the quality of human beings. Are you becoming more able to serve others in your everyday life? Are you a better friend and a better son? Are you a better member of your workplace?

The soul needs nourishment just as the body does, and imo, might "enjoy" feeling nourished. It only becomes a problem when that pleasure becomes something that disengages you from the responsibilities of 3D life. You already seem to be aware of that.

For your questions I would say yes, I have been a better servant, friend, son, and worker. But I can't say that's been due to meditation entirely. It has more to do with my attempts at considering circumstances over internal conditions, and related conscious efforts. The boons in energy I feel from meditation don't often last beyond 24 hours unless I'm at a retreat where stimulation is low. In terms of being an active force, everyday self-remembering often does the majority of heavy lifting. But like I mentioned initially, as a way to cut out wasteful pursuit of physical, emotional, and mental desires it serves me strongly. :)

wilecoyote said:
I just want to know what tecniques of meditation and energy work can be utilized to further one on the path of truth.

My suggestion is to read "Mindfulness in plain English" by Gunaratana. Excellent is not enough praise. :cool:

Hello. Anybody can help with understanding the meaning of "tuning the reading instrument"? I know what "tune the instrument" means but what does "tuning the reading instrument" mean"?

MoonSun said:
Hello. Anybody can help with understanding the meaning of "tuning the reading instrument"? I know what "tune the instrument" means but what does "tuning the reading instrument" mean"?

What does "tune the instrument" mean to you? Maybe we can just extend that metaphor to make it easier to understand.

MoonSun said:

Tuning makes things more accurate.

Buddy said:
MoonSun said:

What does "tune the instrument" mean to you? Maybe we can just extend that metaphor to make it easier to understand.
It means getting the instrument ready for playing then it sounds at the correct pitch

MoonSun said:
Buddy said:
MoonSun said:

It means getting the instrument ready for playing then it sounds at the correct pitch

Then 'reading' would mean not mistaking a "G" for a "C" or recognizing the pitch, and the process of learning and training that allows for the correct recognition could be stated as "tuning the reading instrument", I think. In this way of putting it, reading = recognition.

to quote yoda. Do or do not there is no try.
When I come to meditate this is what I believe to be true. As the more I try I get frustrated and get further away from a meditative state. It's more releasing emotion and any tension you may have. It's interesting to see Laura post about two forms of meditation, with seed and without seed. I will incorporate these methods in my meditations and see where it can take me.

Babylion said:
to quote yoda. Do or do not there is no try.
When I come to meditate this is what I believe to be true. As the more I try I get frustrated and get further away from a meditative state. It's more releasing emotion and any tension you may have. It's interesting to see Laura post about two forms of meditation, with seed and without seed. I will incorporate these methods in my meditations and see where it can take me.

I figured that when I have a hard time to come down and just sit or lay somewhere and do the meditation and my mind and body get the strong feeling of "hurry up, you have other stuff to do! Ohh... when is it finally over and I can do something else?", then meditation is probably exactly what my brain and body needs. For years I found it very hard to just sit down or lay down still and just relaxe or meditate. Then Laura and crew brought the topic of meditation up in a session and basically explained it as way to disciplining your mind through repeated practise.

So after breeding over it for some time and after discovering the book "The Practising Mind", it finally dawned on me that it is probably indeed a very useful and helpful tool to discipline my mind, especially because my mind and body so strongly resisted to just do that for so long.

If you just commit a bit of time every day to meditation, that "hurry up" mode starts to change and you feel more balanced and in the moment in other situations in your life as well. One just needs to get over oneself and just stick to it regularly, OSIT, especially when it is hard for you to just be still for a moment.

Pashalis said:
If you just commit a bit of time every day to meditation that "hurry up" mode starts to change and you feel more balanced and in the moment in other situations in your life as well. One just needs to get over oneself and just stick to it regularly OSIT especially when it is hard for you to just be still for a moment.
True.

If someone experience amazing results from meditation, there will be always flame in one that have a need (like for food, water, air or love..) to meditate (IMO). When I reach that state I can see everything more clearly, the best way to understand priorities and how easy is to resolve life's problems.

Meditating first thing in the morning right when you wake up (after voiding your bladder) or right before you go to bed at night is what many meditation teachers advocate. At these times your brain waves are naturally slower and it makes it easier to relax into the proper state for meditation. Also, that "other stuff to do" feeling is diminished because the day is essentially "done" for the night meditation or it hasn't started yet for the morning meditation. I've tried meditating during the middle of the day and it's harder for me to become fully relaxed. Others might not have a problem with it though.

Pashalis said:
If you just commit a bit of time every day to meditation, that "hurry up" mode starts to change and you feel more balanced and in the moment in other situations in your life as well. One just needs to get over oneself and just stick to it regularly, OSIT, especially when it is hard for you to just be still for a moment.

Exactly. Next to Odyssey's recommendation to try it in the mornings or evenings and find out which time of day works better in your case, what it comes down to is seeing it as similar to training a muscle: the more often you do it, the stronger the 'muscle of the mind' becomes. Whenever the frustration comes up when you notice your thoughts are wandering off again, don't feed the frustration, simply re-focus and try again. Step by step, and consistent practice, and you'll get there.

Back
Top Bottom