Rings of Trees

Jtucker

Jedi Master
I discovered these rings of spruce trees on Google Earth a few years ago while looking for geographical features and hiking trails near Spruce Woods Provincial Park (Manitoba) where we camped a few times over the years.

Co-ordinates:
49.41.25 N
99.10.05 W
Elevation - 324 M

Rings 1 new Edied copy (1).jpg
This location isn't hard to reach as it's only a 5 minute drive from the campground and there are equestrian trails leading right up to them. From the ground the rings just look like clusters of spruce in a meadow.

The circles are quite large and in a very unusual pattern (see the scale in the lower right hand corner). They sit below the level of the meadow in depressions that have thick vegetation underlying the trees as well. The surrounding meadow land is very sparsely vegetated and quite open.

Rings 3 (1).jpg
I enhanced the image above with contrast to get a better look. Also note the strange rectilinear structure below the rings. It looks to be about 400 metres long. We couldn't get close enough to that to get a good look as there was a fence line blocking it. There was also a lot of coyote scat and tracks which we weren't comfortable having our dogs around for too long as they could end up as lunch.

In terms of the rings, I don't think there's any likelihood their man-made as they don't seem to have any purpose. Conceivably they may have been planted that ways decades ago (the trees are very large) to prevent bank erosion as the Assiniboine River floods regularly. But that seems unlikely as there are no farms or farm land anywhere near there and the banks are 70 feet high off the river. Also the worst flooding is upstream and has wiped out the park and HWY 5 in the past 20 years, so protecting this area makes no sense.

As for the rectilinear pattern, I have no idea what that is. There were a number of fur trade forts in the general area from the 1760's, but none recorded within 20 km of this location and it would not make sense to have one on such a steep area. It's also a much larger structure than any of the Forts would have had at that time. It may not even be a remnant of a structure, but just more tress growing in an unusual pattern.

Rings 5 copy (1).jpg

After watching some Randall Carlson on the potential impact at Glacial Lake Hind (50km to the SW), I'm thinking that an impact (wether that one or another) may have left some unusual soil deposits deep enough in the sand to keep a healthy tree population fed for centuries? Or an unusual energetic EM profile? Below is a larger image of the whole area.

Spruce Woods.jpg

The Assiniboine Delta Fan looks like a huge mud flow coming down towards the river. But's actually all sand. It's referred to as Spirit Sands Trails and is an anomaly in the area. The volume of sand is so huge that the ecosystem has remained a desert island surrounded by this woods. We've hiked it twice and it's an actual desert. Hiking in sand is exhausting when you haven't done it before. You need to carry a lot of water if you hike in the summer (we made that mistake, thinking it's not a real desert).

Spirit-Sand-Trail-3-500x375.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what the rings or the rectilinear structure might be?

Does anyone have any idea what the rings or the rectilinear structure might be?
Interesting. Perhaps it would be an idea to first of all find out who manages the place and ask them if they were responsible for this way of planting and if not, whether they have an explanation for the phenomenon. That would be my first line of enquiry so as to possibly eliminate some possible answers.

Interesting. Perhaps it would be an idea to first of all find out who manages the place and ask them if they were responsible for this way of planting and if not, whether they have an explanation for the phenomenon. That would be my first line of enquiry so as to possibly eliminate some possible answers.

I forgot to mention that part. I did ask the main Ranger who's been there for many years and showed him the map. He said he didn't know off hand, but that is a section outside of the maintenance of the park. His guess was that it was natural. I researched flood mitigation/bank erosion on the Assiniboine and couldn't find anything about planting rings of trees.

The rings area is back from the edge of the bank and it's a pretty sheer drop of seventy feet down to the water. When it floods there - it doesn't flood anywhere near the top of the bank. Maybe less than a third. The deep cut is left over from flooding back to the end of Glacial Lake Agassiz according to the published research.

We have a small river by our house that regularly floods. To prevent erosion, scrap cement, boulders enmeshed in chain link are piled up on the bank - the trees are everywhere and apparently do nothing, or why all the rocks and cement?

They remind me of something I saw in the desert, although with much smaller plants like grasses and shrubs. They haven't been conclusively explained, there are various theories about competition for water, activity of termites and so on.

In temperate climates the phenomenon referred to as 'fairy rings' is generally accepted to be related to the underground part of fungi. Sometimes the fruiting bodies themselves appear in the grass, but usually they are just a pattern in the grass itself.

fairy-rings.jpg

We know that mycelium (underground fungal filaments) are a widespread network of great importance to forest trees, they grow in association with the roots in a form of mutualism. I wonder if there is a connection between your trees and what is happening underground.

They remind me of something I saw in the desert, although with much smaller plants like grasses and shrubs. They haven't been conclusively explained, there are various theories about competition for water, activity of termites and so on.

In temperate climates the phenomenon referred to as 'fairy rings' is generally accepted to be related to the underground part of fungi. Sometimes the fruiting bodies themselves appear in the grass, but usually they are just a pattern in the grass itself.

View attachment 94896

We know that mycelium (underground fungal filaments) are a widespread network of great importance to forest trees, they grow in association with the roots in a form of mutualism. I wonder if there is a connection between your trees and what is happening underground.
Joe Asked in a 2018 Session about the circles in Namibia:

(Perceval) What are those so-called "Fairy Circles" in the desert in Namibia?

(L) What do they look like?

(Perceval) They're in the desert, and it's like really low brush or grass. But there are thousands and thousands of these circles.

(Andromeda) Small circles in the sand, but they've never been able to figure it out.

(Perceval) They're like dead patches in a circle where the grass doesn't grow.

(Andromeda) Like sand circles.

A: Related to fungal spread under surface.

There was also a Sott.net article exploring 50km or so circles of trees in northern Quebec. I searched on the site with a number of different phrases, but it's too close too "Tree Rings" and that's all I could get.

While Fairy Rings are seen frequently, I found it strange that 50 foot tall Spruce would take up the same pattern - and clustered as they are. I've gone through quite a bit of Google Earth for Southern Manitoba and haven't seen anything close to that pattern.

Joe Asked in a 2018 Session about the circles in Namibia:

(Perceval) What are those so-called "Fairy Circles" in the desert in Namibia?

(L) What do they look like?

(Perceval) They're in the desert, and it's like really low brush or grass. But there are thousands and thousands of these circles.

(Andromeda) Small circles in the sand, but they've never been able to figure it out.

(Perceval) They're like dead patches in a circle where the grass doesn't grow.

(Andromeda) Like sand circles.

A: Related to fungal spread under surface.

There was also a Sott.net article exploring 50km or so circles of trees in northern Quebec. I searched on the site with a number of different phrases, but it's too close too "Tree Rings" and that's all I could get.

While Fairy Rings are seen frequently, I found it strange that 50 foot tall Spruce would take up the same pattern - and clustered as they are. I've gone through quite a bit of Google Earth for Southern Manitoba and haven't seen anything close to that pattern.

Good catch, it never occurred to me to check the sessions for some reason! It was in the Namib that I saw these things with my own eyes. They go on for miles and miles, like everything in that part of the world. Yours are intriguing in that they seem to be a localised, unusual feature in the area. They don't look man-made either, somehow.

Back
Top Bottom