Narcissistic Personality Disorder: Subcriminal Psychopathy?

Re: Narcissists @ Work: How to Deal with Arrogant, Controlling, Manipulative Bullies

It could be the typical mode of operation that bullies take once you stand up to them. They try to make nice to be your friend to let your guard down them bam! The fact that he is sending you a friend request reeks of ulterior motives in my opinion. More than likely he wants access to your page so that he can glean information to get you in trouble somehow with your managers at work. Or I could be completely wrong...

I second Anart's suggestion.

Re: Narcissists @ Work: How to Deal with Arrogant, Controlling, Manipulative Bullies

Well now that you two are 'equal' in the work place, he might actually think you are 'friends' now and you both can gain up on the next victim and have twice the jerk power.

Or simply he might not be aware that you don't like him. Narcissists think they are liked by everyone.

He may have also, sent out a FB friend's request to a bunch of people that day. I'm betting he doesn't say anything about it.

I have to say thanks for this thread too.

We have a 'low level narcissist' at my work. I call her that as my experience is not as intensely negative as the BlockBuster story or any others. I have been working with this gal for about 5 years...and another person has been working with her for just a year.

At a certain point we - me, the new gal and our supervisor - started sharing experiences...and then going back to review older experiences, and realized we were dealing with a person who is probably a narcisist (a fun day was the day one of us googled a checklist for narcissist personality disorder). The point of my tale is that in sharing our experiences as a group we have been able to 'depressurize' the situation. Now we have frequent chat sessions, which include just laughing at the things our co-worker does/did. Getting fired from this place is not easy so we know we have to wait for her to leave, but having a team understanding has been a very good way to handle her. I even realized much of my stress here, a library, was because I was having to pick up 'her' slack (she is working on 2 majors...usually only) and dealing with her shenannigans by myself. Maybe that will be helpful for someone else...

Again, my co-worker does not seem as malicious as some of the situations described here, so it seems there are degrees of -pathy or degrees of expression of it? I haven't read 'snakes in suits' yet but have read others...

Best of luck to anyone who has to deal with this alone. I experienced enough before my co-workers and I started talking to know that this could drive a person bonkers.

Just wanted to say that I decided not to add him on my FB. Didn't feel comfortable with it, so I'm listening to my gut on this one as I want to avoid any possible attacks from people I KNOW to be narcissistic and capable of whatever.

adding people to facebook

Reading deedlets concern over facebook. I closed my account few years ago. I was in throes of a battle with a narcisst. She was very computer savy. I realised she or anyone that wanted could see who my friends were or who the friends of friends were. Seems to me Facebook is a great place for narcisstic abuse. I recently reactivtated my account and can see how easy it would be for any personal info to be used in a covert attack. One approach i noticed before was people asking to be friends and one woman in particular i knew did not like me so it flagged up a warning for me. later a friend told me she had heard this same woman on the pta discussing how they got rid of another member. yet i would not initially have felt her a threat. Indeed she was sspoken friendly. She had this side kick who was her opposite. You would have said the side kick was the dangerous one but i found out it was the other way round. it sounds so nice to have a friend request but essentially you should think hard before adding anyone.

Re: adding people to facebook

piranah said:
Reading deedlets concern over facebook. I closed my account few years ago. I was in throes of a battle with a narcisst. She was very computer savy. I realised she or anyone that wanted could see who my friends were or who the friends of friends were. Seems to me Facebook is a great place for narcisstic abuse. I recently reactivtated my account and can see how easy it would be for any personal info to be used in a covert attack. One approach i noticed before was people asking to be friends and one woman in particular i knew did not like me so it flagged up a warning for me. later a friend told me she had heard this same woman on the pta discussing how they got rid of another member. yet i would not initially have felt her a threat. Indeed she was sspoken friendly. She had this side kick who was her opposite. You would have said the side kick was the dangerous one but i found out it was the other way round. it sounds so nice to have a friend request but essentially you should think hard before adding anyone.

Now a days HR people are doing lot of background checks on the internet , even with the good intention. Now days, LinkedIn is dubbed as 'Facebook for Professionsals' widely used for the employee references and background checks and job searches etc. So, every body into the internet background checks. So If some body from work wants a link, it is better to do it on Linked In and separating Facebook for other personnel things. There too many instances Facebook landed people in troubled waters. Probably internet companies will soon start selling IP addresses secretly to HR people for interlinking, so that they can hire only Psychopaths. :evil:

I know exactly how you people feel. I was fired last september because I complained to the chief of staff of the company about my manager for treating me like a piece of garbage. The thing is that the manager was known for shouting at people openly and using foul language, but the owner did absolutely nothing to stop this individual from abusing the employees emotionally. For those reasons no one at the company, except the owner who was just another psychopath in a different body, liked him and avoided him at all costs. I did not have a choice becuse I worked for him. I worked for the biggest ATM company in Canada; I was a dispatch coordinator taking care of the eastern part of the country.

When the company decided to terminate my employment they gave me a 6 week severence pay. Don't get me wrong I could have done more than just take my money and look for other work, but I am just really tired of being exposed to various psychopaths at workplaces and I really don't give a damn anymore about making a difference in this world. I have reached my limit. I just want peace and quite in my life. I have already tried to make a difference, which I probably did for those other new employees who entered the workplaces, but I did not make a difference in my life from all that stress that I had to undergo by myself, because no one else cared to speak out and tell the truth. I have already complained to Human Rights Commission twice before, and have won both times years ago. I think if you do the digging you can find the details on the Internet pertaining to both cases. The first employer, The BIg Muffin, was sued for discrimination, and the second one, Interalia, was sued for sexual harassment. The first case made it all the way to a hearing, so I have an experience in that as well, and I must say it was nerve wrecking. It is really stressful to try to sue psychopaths who have all the money in the world to hire the best lawyers to represent them. Though, the lawyer who represented The BIg Muffin, could not do much for his client because I had the owner taped and that tape was used as evidence by my lawyer at the hearing. Interalia settled out of court; they were also aware of the tape I had in my possession. If you are thinking that I sued these companies for money, as the accused said at the hearing, then that is totally wrong because I ended up with $2000 for the discrimination case after 2.5 years of constant correspondece with the lawyer who was assigned to my case by the Human Rights COmmission, and that was a lot of work. I would have been awarded more money if I had hired my own lawyer but I could not afford one, besided I was not doing it for money anyway. I wanted to make a difference in this world, that is all. Yes, I sure was naive. The second time I was awarded 2.5 thousand dollars for being sexually harassed at a worklace by not only my supervisor but also by the rest of the male employees. I worked in the tech department at a manufacturring facility and was the only female employed in that department. I was also the only female at the ATM dispatch department. You can tell that sexual harassment is not taken very seriously in this society, just like child sexual abuse.

If anyone is thinking of being successful in teaching these losers a lesson, then get some kind of evidence before you walk away from the workplace. It worked for me twice. And don't trust the lawyers.If I did not have the tapes I would not have won. And that is the truth.

Even though I have taped the last psychopath, this time I choose to walk, as I am leaving the city, actually this province for good. I want a peaceful life, a new life, and I want to be as far away from these psychopaths as possible. I will give other people the chance to make a difference; I am old, worn-out and in need of a peaceful life. It's time for a change.

Hi Mona,

Good on you for standing up for yourself in such a big way, and I agree that you have to outsmart them with evidence to beat them which is very energy-consuming. Sometimes you just have to get out of the toxic environment for a bit of that 'peaceful life'.

I really appreciate all the thoughts expressed by the members on this thread.
I actually found this thread because i also wanted to share a recent shocking experience at my workplace.

Recently at my job i recieved a very public and unexpected attack regarding my personal appearance from a person from higher management that drew a big 'ooooooooh' from my work colleagues, who all stopped and put their focus on me to see how i would respond. Initially i could not believe it happened and i contained my emotional reaction so i could try and view it as some kind of 'off-hand' thing but the more i analysed it, it was clearly a strong attack in front of the group for his ego, that could become a habit if i didnt do something soon to tell him this was not ok. So, i decided to approach the person on his own and discuss it whereby he was very flippant in response.

I have alot of emotion buried inside me, that i do my best to manage and feel, but I am not a good 'stalker' of 'tyrants' as i have a very low threshold, (i'm sure those who have experienced repeated severe Narcissistic attack from an early age will relate). I am aware of this negative aspect inside of me so I went home and tried to let this particular incident go, overnight, but my rage came up and i thought that if this happens once it will probably happen again, and i worked very hard for this job.

The next 2 days at work I went into a kind of vengeance mode and became very passive-aggressive in my dealings with him, which was noticed by other staff and the move was made to quickly seperate me away from him, this made me feel good but was also very draining and I felt very unhappy because of the raw emotions it re-activated. In my head i was thinking that sometimes these critical-types should know who they are messing with because some times they might just pick on someone with alot of wounding who could have a strong reaction and beat the s**t out of them. ( - i would always leave the workplace first -) I always believe you should try to retain your composure or leave.

Often when i become a bit dissassociative in reaction to my past, to give myself some perspective, i often find myself empathising and thinking about the trauma of people who have been the victims of racism - the most crude mass-Narcissistic strategy of all time.

Back
Top Bottom