Moon Landings: Did They Happen or Not?

Only when on the 'lunar' surface. Here's a snip of an over exposed sun from the Gemini missions and with levels adjusted.
View attachment 95780View attachment 95781
The spiky sun appears, when the camera settings are applied correctly you get this no need to adjust any levels, 10 spikes and a chain pentagonal lens flares. Typical of 1960s camera tech and happens today with digital SLR cameras with a 5 blade aperture. Provided you have a single bright light, the result is the same.
View attachment 95782View attachment 95783
This image was taken by Gene Cernan during the Gemini missions, one purpose of these missions was to hone space photography skills. Cernan was also commander of Apollo 17 and below is an example of his work, levels adjusted AS17-136-20762, AS17-136-20764 and AS17-136-20819.
View attachment 95785View attachment 95786View attachment 95787
Seems that Commander Cernan solar photography skills had diminished somewhat since his Gemini days! Where is the sun in these photos? I can see a disc shaped flare of varying shades, very different to my previous example: Faint horizontal and vertical lines but no sun. There's a short chain of flares but they're circular, not pentagonal and they point to where the source of light is which which seems to lie beyond the image's edge. If these images were overexposed there should still be 10 spikes radiating from a bright center because these images were taken through a lens that had a 5 bladed aperture. An aperture that could be cranked down to f/45, making it essentially a pinhole camera that could negate any overexposure and provide a dazzling depth of field but Commander Cernan wasn't up to it. None of them were, despite having extensive training and the guidelines glued to the top of their cameras. All we have is one single image in over 20000 snaps taken on the moon and in orbit!

Notice that the original arguments you presented are still seriously (in fact, pretty much totally) undermined by the two simple and pretty obvious statements/sentences mkrnhr presented:

That's an over-saturated image of the sun, not an image of the sun.
Here's a non-saturated picture I took yesterday with a pocket digital camera (through binoculars..):
View attachment 95325
There is a center to limb darkening. It's not evenly illuminating.

When the image is over-exposed, the sun appears larger than it is as in this shot:
View attachment 95324

But now you are arguing that some pictures can't be overexposed images because of the spike forms of the overexposed sun and/or the lack there of. Then you continue further down the "there must be something wrong" "rabbit hole", by statements like this:

All we have is one single image in over 20000 snaps taken on the moon and in orbit!

Ok then, I guess we have to address that one as well:

Let's just stay on earth for a moment and notice what most people have done and still do if they take pictures of anything (especially with older cameras/equipment): They purposefully avoid having the sun in the photo, because, well, they want to avoid an overexposed image! In other words: Unless you want to purposefully make a picture of the sun, most likely, the overwhelming majority of pictures taken by anyone on earth purposefully avoid having the sun in the shot. Which means, that on average, we can assume that pretty much anyone who has ever taken pictures on earth has only a very tiny percentage of photos that have the sun in it (if at all). And people on earth are also likely to throw pictures out that have a sun in it, because well, the image is too overexposed.

Furthermore, if we now go out of earths atmosphere, people usually also want to make sure to not have the sun in any picture EVEN MORE SO, because of this pretty simple/obvious fact:

While the Apollo astronauts took many photos of the Earth and lunar surface, they took no images of the Sun. Without the Earth's atmosphere protecting their cameras from harmful solar radiation, our star is able to destroy any imaging equipment.

And, as it turns out, the Apollo guys did actually take a number of pictures with the sun in it, probably more by accident and carelessness than anything else. And, they and/or NASA did in fact not publish or maybe even destroy some of those images, not because of a "conspiracy", but because of exactly the same reason you do it on earth: the image is too overexposed.

Also, notice that the last quote above, by another simple and obvious deduction, strongly points to the possibility that the reason for why the sun (or rather, the overexposed image of it) appears "so big" in some of the pictures you presented, is also very simple:

If you take a picture of the sun in space and/or on the moon, the image is much more overexposed, and thus it is likely, that the overexposed image of the sun is much bigger compared to earth, where the intensity of the light is filtered through layers of earths atmosphere.

1715588385352.png
1715588451174.png
1715588958301.png

Seems that Commander Cernan solar photography skills had diminished somewhat since his Gemini days! Where is the sun in these photos? I can see a disc shaped flare of varying shades, very different to my previous example: Faint horizontal and vertical lines but no sun. There's a short chain of flares but they're circular, not pentagonal and they point to where the source of light is which which seems to lie beyond the image's edge. If these images were overexposed there should still be 10 spikes radiating from a bright center because these images were taken through a lens that had a 5 bladed aperture.

When the flare is like in the above photos (i mean the smaller light blobs), kind of slightly oval, (or roundish) - albeit usually gets more squished towards the edges of the frame) - it means that the aperture was wide open (so no aperture blades where in the light pathway and therefore no spikes can ever appear - no matter how many blades the lens has).

Notice that the original arguments you presented are still seriously (in fact, pretty much totally) undermined by the two simple and pretty obvious statements/sentences mkrnhr presented:
Hardly, 2 images with barely any context. Anyway, was out deer hunting early yesterday morning and after a thrilling stalk and a clean kill I skinned and cleaned my prey. By the time I'd finished the sun was well and truly up I followed your advice and shot it as well.
1716157414002.jpeg
With my phone of course, its 5.3MB. The field of view is 85 degrees, its 5100 pixels diagonally and the sun is about 150 pixels in diameter. One degree is 60 pixels so the sun covers 2.5 degrees of sky and is 5 times bigger than it should be. It's normal, the atmosphere refracts the light as will the lens but it's nowhere near the size of the lunar 'suns'! Today I snapped the sun through a dark green welding mask lens and you can see that much of the flaring has vanished as you can see in these before and after images.
1716189631290.png1716190328472.png
Its shrunk from 150 to only 48 pixels or 0.8 of a degree so its almost its natural size. Zoom in on the sun and measure the inner circle. Its 30 pixels, 0.5 of one degree, its the sun! Impossible to achieve with Apollo 'suns' despite their high resolution!
But now you are arguing that some pictures can't be overexposed images because of the spike forms of the overexposed sun and/or the lack there of. Then you continue further down the "there must be something wrong" "rabbit hole", by statements like this:
It was the nature of the technology, provided examples. Here's a contemporary example of a nicely exposed sun and earth, 10 spikes and pentagonal shapes, 5 bladed aperture. Just like Gemini and nothing like Apollo!
1716160501102.png1716207066214.png
Furthermore, if we now go out of earths atmosphere, people usually also want to make sure to not have the sun in any picture EVEN MORE SO, because of this pretty simple/obvious fact:
It's a TV camera, somewhat different to a film camera. One's electrical, the other chemical and the cameras had adjustable shutter speeds and apertures. Simply by adjusting these you can get decent exposures! Like they did in the Gemini missions.
Bean and mission commander Charles Conrad carried the first colour television camera to the lunar surface but within minutes the transmission was lost after Bean accidentally pointed the camera at the Sun.
Interestingly, watching the TV and film footage some astronauts were quite happy to walk around with their sun visors open and exposing their eyes and face to an unfiltered 'sun'!
And, as it turns out, the Apollo guys did actually take a number of pictures with the sun in it, probably more by accident and carelessness than anything else. And, they and/or NASA did in fact not publish or maybe even destroy some of those images, not because of a "conspiracy", but because of exactly the same reason you do it on earth: the image is too overexposed.
Yes as part of a pan but they completely avoided it during surface photography in Apollo 11. I've looked at most of them, that's how I know AS15-87-11745 is an outlier. Most have something indicating a bright spot in the center visible without enhancement. However some are positively psychedelic!
1716191591031.png1716204539571.png1716205181259.png
They often have wonky and duplicated fiducials within and adjacent to the discs and lines that only appear within the disc. Dirt and dust motes that only seem to contaminate the sun. Even found what looks like a cursive lower case 't'! As for NASA, they have published them, 40 years later, photoshopped. Some people wondered where these gems were and requested they be released.
If you take a picture of the sun in space and/or on the moon, the image is much more overexposed, and thus it is likely, that the overexposed image of the sun is much bigger compared to earth, where the intensity of the light is filtered through layers of earths atmosphere.
Earth's atmosphere causes much of the flaring, excellent medium for scattering light. That's why the sky is blue. Moon has none, the only flaring you see could only be caused by the cameras and of course, dirt on the lenses.
Quiz time, these two 'suns' are the same image, one's the 'original scan' and the other was photo shopped in 2015
1716157997568.png1716158273633.png
Can you picked the shopped one? Anyone know why they did it?

Attachments

• 1716159281245.png
    1716159281245.png
    441.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1716188808085.png
    1716188808085.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 2
When the flare is like in the above photos (i mean the smaller light blobs), kind of slightly oval, (or roundish) - albeit usually gets more squished towards the edges of the frame) - it means that the aperture was wide open (so no aperture blades where in the light pathway and therefore no spikes can ever appear - no matter how many blades the lens has).
Thanks! Indeed, interesting that by A17 they hadn't learnt how to use the aperture setting! In your experience can the shape of the light influence the shape of the lens flare? Take this example here AS17-134-20413, this is a very common feature of Apollo lunar photography
1716240043157.png1716241185401.png
We can see a Tesla logo shaped flare followed by squashed circle then a large faint pentagon, indicating that the aperture was in use. In the other example get the round flares, a larger but well defined pentagon and a huge pentagon to the latter's upper right. This indicates that the aperture is partially closed but there's no neat chain of pentagons. What causes the Tesla logo flare? I've asked elsewhere but I get conflicting answers, some say its natural, some say the large offset pentagons are earthshine or light reflecting off spacesuits or lunar terrain. Others say the Tesla logo copies the shape of the spotlight they used to define the shadows and the and the large offset pentagons are from the fill lights. Who knows? What I do know is that Apollo photography is brimming with weird artifacts and inconsistencies that were often shopped and cropped out.

Back
Top Bottom