Melatonin

To Vulcan59: I can't vouch for this, but a friend told me about 3 months ago that Melatonin is obtainable from Health2000 at Eastridge Mall. It's obtainable from chemists but a doctor's prescription is needed. Nanny State is the culprit.
Isabel

I've tried 1 MG, 2.5 MG, 3 MG and 5 MG. Haven't noticed any difference at all. I still wake up multiple times throughout the night, whether I take melatonin (in any amount) or not. :( I've always used the Source Naturals sublingual brand since I don't seem to get much out of any pill I swallow whole. Maybe I need a different brand? What brand do you all use?

Perhaps your system needs less sleep now that it did before, Shar? I don't take anything to sleep, i fall asleep just by putting my head on the pillow and can sleep for as long as i want/need/can. Lately though, there were nights that i couldn't sleep as fast, so i read instead and then slept only for 4-5 but felt fine the next day (usually i need a minimum of 8 hours to properly function the next day). I am actually glad to have more time to study and not be cranky.

Irini said:
Perhaps your system needs less sleep now that it did before, Shar?
Hi Irini,

No, part of my problem IS that I don't get the retorative sleep my body needs. Last night I woke up every two hours. I feel like crap when the alarm goes off, even on weekends when I sleep in a couple extra hours. I've tried Benedryl also, and it didn't help either. I've never slept through an entire night since I can remember.

Shar said:
Irini said:
Hi Irini,

No, part of my problem IS that I don't get the retorative sleep my body needs. Last night I woke up every two hours. I feel like crap when the alarm goes off, even on weekends when I sleep in a couple extra hours. I've tried Benedryl also, and it didn't help either. I've never slept through an entire night since I can remember.
Hello Shar,

As a retired insomniac, I'd recommend you evaluate your diet, mainly relating to caffeine and solid foods beyond 6pm. I once tried the herbal remedies to help me sleep - it worked other than a toilet break somewhere inbetween 2-3am!

Another thing to consider is are you exercising enough or past 6pm? You might find that if you're inactive during the day, it can affect you in the evening. If you exercise late on, you might find this gets your blood flowing and it takes a while to settle back down. A similar effect is having a hot bath/shower just before bedtime.

'Catnapping' during the day is always a way to reduce the amount of sleep needed at night.

I hope this is of some use.

paulnotbilly said:
I hope this is of some use.
Hi, thanks for your suggestions. I know about exercising late and I'm still experimenting with diet. I've read so much about sleep that it should put me to sleep! ;) I think it's more along the lines of:

"Sleep disorder - Most FMS patients have an associated sleep disorder called the alpha-EEG anomaly. This condition was uncovered in a sleep lab with the aid of a machine which recorded the brain waves of patients during sleep. Researchers found that most FMS patients could fall asleep without much trouble, but their deep level (or stage 4) sleep was constantly interrupted by bursts of awake-like brain activity. Patients appeared to spend the night with one foot in sleep and the other one out of it."

I forget where else I read about people whose brains during sleep behave like they are in the awake stage and don't reach the restorative phase. I don't know that there is anything one can do about it though.

Hi all!

Annother way to boost your melatonin levels is to sleep on a biomag (magnetic underlay for sleeping on), reduces stress, aleviates many kinds of pain, particularly back pain, I got one for my mom who couldnt walk any more her arteries in her legs were so bad. Shes only had it a week but it looks like it will help her to recover much faster. They are proven to increase melatonin production in the body, very usefull !

Melatonin helped me to handle my "sleep" problems and helped me to got rid of migraines. I do meditate before I go to sleep and most of the times I feel so energized and boosted after that, that my eyes become wide-open and I can not fall asleep for a long time, and in the morning I would feel like crap. Melatonin fixed that. It also does help to "disconnect" my mind little bit from the world (I do not know the right words to explain it), almost the same feeling you get if you do not sleep for 2 days, but you do not feel tired at all... With melatonin I wake up energized and stay energized... and just these feelings... when "reality" starts to remind of a dream in a way... I feel "out" of it when I feel like it... It kinda helps me to put myself together :)

Shar said:
Irini said:
Hi Irini,

Perhaps you suffer from sleep apnea?
http://www.sleepapnea.org/info/index.html
It can really stuff up your night, if not your life, so I hope you will investigate it as a cause...?! It seems to be a very common and serious problem, from what I've heard. My advice would be to leave no stone unturned when trying to find 'cure' for various ailments. Look at all options and keep and open mind.

one pill 3mg Melatonin + Vitamin B6 2mg. Veg - other: Cellulose, Di-Calcium Phosphate
No Sugar, No Starch, No Artificial Color, No Artificial Flavors, No Preservatives, Sodium Free, No Wheat, No Gluten, No Corn, No Soy, No Dairy, Yeast Free

Melatonin has helped from taking 1hour or more to fall asleep to being less than 5 minutes (estimating since I don't have a clock in my bedroom) experimented during a stress month. 3 days for each dose. Yes, I was impatient.

3mg - there wheren't any changes I could make out, small noises still woke me up
6mg - good sleep, logged out of world didn't remember anything
9mg - good sleep, short term memory of dreams improved
12mg - I wake up zone out - makes me get out of bed as soon as I open my eyes

going to take a break from it, lower it back down to 3mg, try each dose for a week, and pay more attention, lower down the variables (do exact routine, warm shower, same time to sleep, note hours of sleep, etc...)

Only pill i have taken is b-12 chew before going to sleep. I don't take any other medications (including headache stuff), herbs or enhancements (alcohol, tabacco, etc...)

Pixel world - I just have to relax and the world becomes pixelated, usually is fun, but sometimes it freaks me out ("auto defence program reverts to child like and start yelling at moving spot things"... ok that's what came out when I asked myself why I get freaked out).

yikes this forum makes me see myself in ways I wouldn't and would like to, wow I just went to so many programs. (pay attention to me, arrogant, I'm crazy, take some pity in me, I know nothing, I'm useless, I shouldn't post anything) This usually happens just with reading, and with posting it just brings all of them out.

Thanks, and now I'll just go back to reading...
Primechild

There is no way in which the much-needed changes to the world and to humanity will be achieved by trying to improve either. Those who try to do so are merely using their struggle to improve the world as a way of avoiding improving themselves. They are playing the usual deplorable game of demanding of others what one is too lazy to carry out oneself. Yet such illusory succes as they achieve does not absolve them of having betrayed not only the world, but themselves. -Jean Gebser

3mg - there wheren't any changes I could make out, small noises still woke me up
6mg - good sleep, logged out of world didn't remember anything
9mg - good sleep, short term memory of dreams improved
12mg - I wake up zone out - makes me get out of bed as soon as I open my eyes
12mg? Whoa dude! I thought I read that one shouldn't take more 5mg.

I haven't heard anything about it being toxic. I have taken as much as a 20 mg dose before without any noticeable side effects (still in the "good sleep" range of primechild's post above).

Rhansen said:
I haven't heard anything about it being toxic. I have taken as much as a 20 mg dose before without any noticeable side effects (still in the "good sleep" range of primechild's post above).
Just a quick search brought up this, plus I think I read something about dosage limits on the bottle, but from what I'm reading, there are two schools of thought on the proper dosage levels...

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2001/melatonin-1017.html

"The researchers also discovered that the typical health food store dosage of melatonin, which is about three milligrams (or 10 times the dosage in the study), is less effective in treating insomnia. In addition, the higher dosage can cause potentially serious side effects, including hypothermia (low body temperature). The study also showed that the higher dosage elevated plasma melatonin levels during the day, which can cause a "hangover" effect in some of the subjects."

Thanks for the link. My melatonin bottle has no dosage guidelines and when I initially researched I got the impression that there was no toxic dose - which is also mentioned in the first couple of posts in this thread.
Laura said:
I've read that there is no "toxic" level. Extra is excreted.
article said:
Our study has shown that less is more as far as melatonin is concerned
I would say that more is not necessarily better from my experience.

Back
Top Bottom