Melatonin

One stearate free possibility:

Pure Encapsulations,Melatonin 3 mg
Other Ingredients: Hypo-Allergenic Plant Fiber, Vegetable Capsule.
Does Not Contain: Hidden Coatings, Excipients, Binders, Fillers, Shellacs, Artificial Colors, Fragrance, Dairy, Wheat, Yeast, Gluten, Corn, Sugar, Starch, Soy, Preservatives or Hydrogenated Oils.
Suggested Use: As a dietary supplement, take 1 capsule daily, 1/2 to 1 hour before bedtime.
Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings Per Container: 60
Amount Per Serving
Melatonin (99.5% pure synthetic Melatonin) 3 mg
_http://www.needs.com/product/Pure_Encapsulations_Melatonin_3_mg_60/b_Pure_Encapsulations

Just to sway into the discussion - thought this was an interesting article and the two links below are as follows; the first is a scientific evaluation from 1973 with some interesting hypothesis on DNA/Antimutagenic or Antioxidants of Melatonin, there are also LD50 stats and producers/manufacturers which would need to be culled to find purest constructed forms.

The second link is from a popular brand with some interesting ingredients, but still there is the stearate components.

Ancillary: My partner studied/practiced Herbology and one thing that always resonated in my mind was when she discussed contraindications as being the biggest folly for folks messing around with herbs ; please use mental faculties when mixing – not much room for trial and error here especially if constitutionally impaired.

Regards,

Tim

Note: There is often ulterior motives with these types of studies i.e. who’s funding etc. as most know, so read between the lines but nonetheless there were a few points that mesh with the Melatonin discussion.

Cultivating quality

Researchers safeguard Ontario's medicinal plant industry
by Joseph Briante

Natural remedies may be popular, but they're not always safe. So University of Guelph researchers are working to secure the bounty of nature's medicine cabinet.
Prof. Praveen Saxena and graduate students Susan Murch and Colleen Simmons of the Department of Plant Agriculture are examining the chemical compounds found in plants used in natural remedies such as feverfew. At the same time, they're trying to improve the methods of growing medicinal plants to protect consumers and ensure quality.

Their timing is critical. Driven by concerns about well-being and cuts to the health-care system, Canadians are zealously embracing natural remedies as alternatives to conventional medicine. But consumers are generally unaware that plants contain a complex mixture of biochemicals.
"Developing a comprehensive understanding of the medicinal ingredients will help consumers feel safe about alternative medicines," says Saxena.
Although some producers of natural remedies offer high-quality products to consumers, the researchers say there are problems in the industry. These include medicinal preparations containing misidentified plant species, contamination by pests and disease, a lack of understanding of plant physiology or efficacy for human consumption, and consumer fraud.

Most herbal remedies have been developed on historical and anecdotal evidence rather than by scientific testing. Saxena's group is trying to change this by systematically identifying, characterizing and quantifying the chemical constituents of these plants.
They're making headway. They've found that traditional migraine and depression remedies like feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium), St. John's Wort (Hypericum performatum) and Huang-qin (Scutellaria baicalensis) contain high levels of melatonin, which may be responsible for the plants' actions. But more research is needed to establish the effect of melatonin in plant tissue on human health, Saxena says.

To improve growing methods for medicinal plants and introduce uniformity to the end product, his group is using a technique called micropropagation. It exploits the natural potential of plant cells to develop into embryos - and ultimately into whole plants - without undergoing sexual recombination. This allows the plant to grow in a sterile and stable environment without contamination by bacteria, fungi and pests.
"Our research will help set a standard for the development of safe value-added products," says Saxena. "This will benefit the industry and consumers by building consumer confidence in herbal remedies."

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/Chem_Background/ExSumPdf/Melatonin.pdf

http://www.naturessunshine.ca/ca/products/catalog/product/default.aspx?stocknum=2830

I came across this book while attempting to understand the connection, if any, between vagal nerve activity, the production of tryptophan/serotonin/melatonin, and/or the ingestion of 5-HTP/melatonin on the cardiovascular and/or nervous system. The book is entitled Melatonin: Present and Future and can be found here. I thought it may be beneficial to those wishing to learn more about melatonin and its effects on the body. I though it would be appropriate to post it here.

Here is a book overview given by Google Books:
Book overview
Melatonin is a neurohormone produced in the brain by the pineal gland, from the amino acid tryptophan. The synthesis and release of melatonin are stimulated by darkness and suppressed by light, suggesting the involvement of melatonin in circadian rhythm and regulation of diverse body functions. Levels of melatonin start to increase prior to bedtime. Synthetic melatonin supplements have been used for a variety of medical conditions, most notably for disorders related to sleep. Melatonin possesses antioxidant activity, and many of its proposed therapeutic or preventive uses are based on this property. This important book presents a full spectrum of research on melatonin and is destined to become an essential reference for anyone interested in melatonin.

A good source of melatonin is serotonin, for example 5HTP supplements along with B vitamins and magnesium which are needed for serotonin synthesis. 5 HTP not only will provide for the melatonin, but also will take care of many low serotonin symptoms. For example feelings of depression, shame and guilt, obsessive or controlling feelings, angry feelings, fear or anxiety have been associated with low serotonin levels. Also gut (like IBS) and heart problems, sleep problems, fibromyalgia and other pains, cravings for carbs, alchohol and drugs have been associated with low serotonin.

Before going to bed, one can start with 50mg of 5HTP and increase the dose progressively until one has a good night sleep (up to 300mg of 5HTP before going to bed) and if that doesn't work, then one can add melatonin. Sometimes it happens that it produces the opposite effect, for example me, I stay up if I take the5 HTP at night. This happens when one has a sluggish liver, or when there are thyroid problems. So I take the 5THP with meals instead, 100mg with each meal (300mg per day) and after a couple of weeks, I'm sleeping better. For more details, see "Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" by Rodger Murphree, it is available as an e-book as well.

Received this e-mail (sent at Monday 2 nov) from carolyndean.com
I thought it might be interesting:

A Wellness Tip From the Future...

Yesterday, those of you living too far from the equator had to
turn you clocks back one hour thanks to Daylight "Savings" Time.
(Here in Hawaii, I'm spared such nonsense -- I go to bed between
9 and 10pm every day of the year).

Now that the whole world is back to REAL time (according to how
the sun actually rises and sets) you can get your waking and
sleeping schedule back in tune with nature. You know… the way our
biological clocks evolved over thousands of years.

Getting into bed before 10pm (11pm DST) can make a big
difference with how easily you fall asleep and how well you
sleep. So if you were going to bed at 11pm during Daylight
Savings Time you need to make sure you hit the sack by 10pm, now.

So has anyone experienced any type of attack in their dreams after taking melatonin?

The first time I took some (about 3mg) I dreamed I was in a very strong struggle with a dark figure, then woke up quite sweaty. happened again the second time i took it, so I stopped for several months after that. Tried again ( with reservation) and the attacks don't seem to happen anymore.

cheers.

lamalamalamalama said:
So has anyone experienced any type of attack in their dreams after taking melatonin?

The first time I took some (about 3mg) I dreamed I was in a very strong struggle with a dark figure, then woke up quite sweaty. happened again the second time i took it, so I stopped for several months after that. Tried again ( with reservation) and the attacks don't seem to happen anymore.

cheers.

I personally have never had a problem as you describe using melatonin. Have you tried lowering the dosage?

Just curious, are you doing the breathing program? If so, were your experiences tied to that?

This was prior to trying the breathing program. In fact, the last time of an attack, i had a big red handprint on my body when I woke up in the middle of the night. Scared me enough to stop me from taking it for a while. In fact, i told myself to never take it again, but for some reason I did after about 7 months, and things are fine with it now (more or less). also before starting the breathing program. Can't really tell what that all means, or if it was even a 'negative' thing or not, since I've seen this black figure in my dreams before I even tried melatonin.

cheers.

Hi Truth Juicer, and welcome to the forum :)

We ask that new members post an introduction in the Newbies section -- something about yourself and how you found the forum.

As for melatonin, here in the States, you can usually find it at health food stores. I assume Australia is the same, but Australian members can correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey Truth Juicer,

Melatonin (pharmaceutical quality) is not allowed for sale in Aus or NZ, however it is legal to order from overseas. I order mine from the US. The brand I was using was this one:
_http://www.sleepnow-melatonin.com/2010/05/melatonin-optimum-3mg-100-tablets/
But I can't remember which online store I purchased from. Just google and find the best price. Perhaps other Australian members can suggest their favourite store.

I should mention that I'm currently getting enough melatonin from 5HTP (and Niacin), both of which I order from New Zealand. Adding actual melatonin is currently making me a bit groggy in the mornings.
90 capsules of 5htp: _http://www.healthy.co.nz/product/2767-serotone-5-htp.html
no-flush niacin: _http://www.healthy.co.nz/product/3514-no-flush-niacin-500mg.html

EDIT: Needs.com (suggested at the top of this page) appear to ship overseas. They sound like a good place to start!

Hi Truth Juicer, welcome to the forum.

I am in Adelaide and I bought mine in a health food store.

Stellar, you found some in a health food store? Awesome!

Was it pharmaceutical quality or homeopathic?

I just bought a bottle of 120 x 3 mg Melatonin

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220636181722&ssPageName=MERC_BC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_W0_IT&refitem=370309813231&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=bin_confirm&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p760.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DSI%252BISS%252BUCI%26otn%3D4

Looking forward to opening the doors of my mind...

Back
Top Bottom