"Crisis of the Republic" and Pathocrats - An Exercise in Discernment

EsoQuest said:
"Pity" is probably the most loaded of the three words mentioned above. In every case, however, it always seems to come back not so much to how to deal with the psychopaths, but how to deal with yourself dealing with the psychopaths. I know that all this makes me even more motivated to explore what "empathy", "compassion" and "pity" really mean to me, and how they correspond to the non-verbal aspect of feeling.

It is a razor's edge and we all seem to be learning to be expert acrobats!
I think this is a very good way of putting it. Having pity for the psychopath because of their genetic constitution may be possible in some clinical setting, assuming that the reason they are in that setting is because they are seeking help, but what if we are the focal point of their pathological actions?
Giving pity to such a person just seems to me to send a signal to them to seek your soft underbelly and then find tactical ways to get you to expose it. Such a person will get you to question yourself in many ways, using very subtle and ingenious ploys that work on your sympathies, your hopes, your dreams, your likes and dislikes, etc. These predators are very aware, very conditioned, very focused on what they need, much more so then the person who is the recipient of their attacks. Giving them pity just acts to focus the predators awareness on you even more so then before, since this pity is a form of awareness in and of itself, by virtue of the fact that ones attention is directed on that other person hoping that they could be helped so that they need not to be pitied any longer. Then the predator will make it a point to NOT be helped so the attention (pity), which is now given them will still be maintained and thusly amplified. This pity, this 'hanbledzoin' as Gurdjieff calls it, this "blood of the soul," is what they are really after.

If they are in power and we give them pity then they will have power over us. What if the majority of people are controlled by psychopaths as they appear to be today? Should we give them any pity? Perhaps when they are helpless pathetic shells of their former selves and have no more power, then, in a clinical setting we can give them pity. But what if the whole power structure is controlled by such psychopaths? In that case what is there to pity? You are no longer in a clinical setting but rather you are now in a battle for your life.

kenlee said:
If they are in power and we give them pity then they will have power over us. What if the majority of people are controlled by psychopaths as they appear to be today? Should we give them any pity?
I think the operative word here is "give". It's one of the indications why I think the word "pity" is so loaded. My version of "pity" is closer to an understanding that this is a sick person, a living walking pathology, a "failed" human. IMO, karmic issues aside, organic psychopaths are born that way, and psychopathy is a matter of survival for them.

Along with this, however, comes the understanding that this is a dangerous person who will in no way reciprocate any feelings EXTENDED. The reason that the pity issue even comes up IMO, is that many of us are tempted to treat psychopaths in a retaliatory manner, where there may be a possibility of even acting psychopathically toward the psychopath. It is true that the psychopath triggers psychopathic symptoms in others, and you end up becoming what you hate.

So the suggestion basically is to refrain from hating, and the only way I can see that is through understanding the situation deeply and not only intellectually. In this case, feeling compassion and pity are not for the psychopath. They are for US, so that psychopathy does not tempt us to lose touch with our inner soul essence, which is what it wants anyway.

I believe we can feel pity because it is a pitiful situation that psychopathy should even exist, and we can feel pity for the psychopath because if they were given the experience of having a soul and healthy genetics for a minute they would probably look up themselves in horror. That said, feeling pity as a result of taking in the situation objectively and GIVING pity are two different things.

It is simply unrealistic, and possibly even arrogant to think we can "help" the psychopath. It is also foolish to think we can hurt the psychopath. The only way to deal with them is to refrain from giving them what they want, and remove ourselves from their vicinity as soon as we can. Giving in any shape or form is the LAST thing you want to do regarding a psychopath.

Pity to me is the result of feeling the understanding that nobody in their right mind would want to be a psychopath, and that motivates me to keep addressing the issue so that there may come a day when psychopathy CAN be resolved. That day, however, is not today and most likely not tomorrow or the day after.

And true, when we are in a battle for our lives and integrity, we have other things to worry about than the well-being of the psychopath, which is non-existent anyway. At the same time, even the word "battle" has animal kingdom, OP and psychopathic connotations. That is why the C's say that Knowledge protects. It places the whole encounter with psychopaths on a whole other level than that of the battle-field, which equates with violence at least on subconscious levels.

The key in my view is to shift the focus from the psychopath to ourselves. In this sense, "pity", compassion and the like are indications that we are in touch with our soul essence, and as long as we are the psychopath is NOT feeding. If we have to sacrifice that for the sake of winning the "battle" or even in believing we are defending ourselves, we have lost.

Laura said:
Subject: Re: A bit help Date sent:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:45:28 +0100

Dear Professor,

Thank you for your kind words of support.

One question I have is: do you really think they actually feel "suicidal?" I'm trying to understand this because I have always understood suicide to be a consequence of great despair - emotional pain including self-doubt - which the psychopath does not ever experience. [...]

Do you know of cases where a real, confirmed, psychopath has done this?
Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goring, and the many Nazis that committed suicide upon being 'found out' or captured come to mind. While a psychopath can be seen as a-moral, a-religious, etc (they'll adopt whatever mask necessary to achieve their deception, unlike 'true believers,' osit), they are also absolutists. They have a purpose/mission, and if that mission is foiled they have nothing to live for. Maybe, if failure becomes obvious they commit suicide just to avoid being executed, because they know what normal people will want done to them. A friend recently related an instance where he saw a movie in which the protagonist found child torture/rape videos of 2 psychopaths/paedophiles in their house. She calls the police, tells them the address and that she just heard some shots. After she hangs up, she goes into the next room and shoots the villains. The whole audience cheered.

EsoQuest said:
Pity to me is the result of feeling the understanding that nobody in their right mind would want to be a psychopath, and that motivates me to keep addressing the issue so that there may come a day when psychopathy CAN be resolved. That day, however, is not today and most likely not tomorrow or the day after.
I still contend that pity is not an appropriate response to a psychopath. Compassion for their situation seems much more appropriate. Pity is elicited, and denotes a victim, while compassion is something generated from within, and denotes understanding, it can come from that very 'thing' that makes a souled human different from a psychopath.

EsoQuest said:
And true, when we are in a battle for our lives and integrity, we have other things to worry about than the well-being of the psychopath, which is non-existent anyway. At the same time, even the word "battle" has animal kingdom, OP and psychopathic connotations. That is why the C's say that Knowledge protects. It places the whole encounter with psychopaths on a whole other level than that of the battle-field, which equates with violence at least on subconscious levels.

The key in my view is to shift the focus from the psychopath to ourselves. In this sense, "pity", compassion and the like are indications that we are in touch with our soul essence, and as long as we are the psychopath is NOT feeding. If we have to sacrifice that for the sake of winning the "battle" or even in believing we are defending ourselves, we have lost.
What you're describing is how the battle takes place within us.

And again there are the semantics of the words used.

Defending vs. Protecting. They are not synonymous in this case. They can evoke different different emotional responses, consciously or unconsciously. To defend infers the possibility of violence, while to protect simply means to keep oneself from harm, and no violence is necessarily inferred.

Instead of believing we must defend ourselves, we need to understand, and keep in mind, that the appropriate action is to protect ourselves--which in this case simply means to act in our own best interests, rather than acting against anyone else, including a psychopath.

The battle isn't with the psychopath, the battle is within ourselves, what we do, our personal struggles; the aquisition of knowledge and the choices we make.

So while we don't dare to feed the psychopath, or give them power over us by letting them generate feelings of pity, we can (and should) experience feelings of compassion for the situation the psychopaths are in. But pity is dangerous. Pity is difficult to keep balanced. It can get away from us. After all, it is what a psychopath works to get from us.

So it seems we are basically in agreement, EsoQuest, with the 'sticking point' being that little four-letter word "pity."

Or so I think.
Lucy

Lucy said:
So it seems we are basically in agreement, EsoQuest, with the 'sticking point' being that little four-letter word "pity."
The word is a sticking point, and its probably because its meaning is not quite the same for all people and even every time its used. It can be derogatory, it can demean, it can imply a comparison between the "are's" and the "are not's", and it can also be a synonym for compassion as you describe it above.

Maybe I should get a dictionary and just stick to some official definition, but when Lobaczewski mentioned that we should pity the psychopath, I think he was using a synonym for compassion in the sense of showing mercy and not being too harsh in our attitude toward them. This is how I took it in my own comments, although the other less respectful understanding of the word was at the back of my mind, where I tried to keep it since I was trying to comment with respect to what Lobaczewski was saying.

So maybe we are not in disagreement even about the word "pity" after all.

I even wonder about this whole idea of Pity at all... I mean, if you finally grok what the psychopath is, isn't pity kind of a thing that comes from a feeling of superiority?

Do we pity the crocodile for being a crocodile?

Laura said:
I even wonder about this whole idea of Pity at all... I mean, if you finally grok what the psychopath is, isn't pity kind of a thing that comes from a feeling of superiority?

Do we pity the crocodile for being a crocodile?
Certainly not for being a crocodile, but there are many environmentalists who pity crocodiles hunted to near extinction. And these accuse those who are not environmentalists for not pitying the crocodiles mercilessly hunted to extinction.

And this is the thing that strikes me with the word "pity", is that it is closely associated with its opposite "pity-less" used to described people with no heart, no feeling, no compassion, in other words psychopaths. Thus, IMO the lure of the word pity is the desire to avoid being its opposite, i.e. pityless =uncaring, cold, merciless etc.

What also strikes me is that psychopaths relate to words like pity and mercy, which denote an attitude or an acting out rather than words like empathy and compassion, which represent an inner experience. So on the one hand "pity" implies superiority because it refers to the attitude of the "better off" to the "lesser off", and on the other "no pity" also implies an attitude of the "better off" only this time against the "lesser off".

And we notice the "lords" of the Feudal systems in Europe and elsewhere often used terms such as pity and mercy or their opposites to indicate their two ways of acting toward those beneath them. Even in religion and at least one esoteric aspect (Qabbalah) we notice a cosmic system defining deity in terms of "Mercy" and "Severity".

Mercy may not be the same as pity, but it certainly seems very close IMO, especially where the relationship
superior/inferior is concerned. As I said, I used the word because that was how Lobaczewski put it, and also because when the words "show no pity to psychopaths" were used I could not help but feel that the term desribed pity reversed.

What I am trying to say is I think that pity/pityless are just inversions of the same manipulative dynamic, and both must go, because one always has a sneaky tie to the other. Words like pity, mercy, severity and pityless now that I come to think about it should really have no place in the vocabulary of individuation, not because of the words themselves, but of the tangled web of hidden implications underlying them.

If Lobaczewski had said "understand and feel for the plight of the psychopath" (which is what I think he meant) instead of "show pity to the psychopath" there may not even have been any objection here. When the word "pity" comes up, however, any lack of pity tends to point to a hardness in the place of soul. One then tends to go round in circles between two unhealthy poles. This is a case where a single word can be highly deceiving and generate unecessary confusion (unlike the argument for the OP term in another thread).

In short I have to say that if a crocodile comes to eat me I will try to understand and feel for its hunger (and so refrain from launching a campaign to rid the world of all crocodiles), but that does not mean I have to sit down and be the food. After all, I understand and feel for my own right to life as well.

I see pity as sympathy but with added distortion/assumption/judgement. In other words, it's like a misdirected sympathy, sympathy for an illusion that you've created for yourself based on your own subjective perspective of someone's situation, instead of an objective evaluation of just what the situation is.

Much too often I confuse pity with empathy and sympathy in practice, and I think it would be VERY helpful if I had a clear understanding of exactly what separates pity from sympathy and empathy - what element is contained in pity that is not contained in empathy and/or sympathy, to lessen or remove any confusion. Right now I'm inclined to think that Laura is correct about superiority, as that seems to be related to subjectiviely judging someone's situation as "inferior" to yours, thinking that you're in a position that allows you to pity that person instead of them being in a position to pity you.

In fact, maybe another approach to contemplating this is to consider self pity and how that compares to self empathy. I think it's very important to have empathy for yourself, but not self pity. Right now I'm thinking the difference may be simply subjectivity vs objectivity. In other words, "poor me/complaining/etc" vs "Does this action help me or hurt me and in what ways?". It is easy to "poor me" about everything, you can pity anyone and complain about ANYTHING - anything and everything can be seen as "bad" and "unlucky" and "unfortunate", just like it can be seen as "good" and "fortunate" etc - but both perspectives are entirely useless UNLESS they're objective. Otherwise it's just pure delusion, and yeah, in a sense superiority. This would go hand in hand, I think, with another thing Laura was talking about (I think in the wave) where many people think they have to "give till it hurts" - which in turn makes you yourself food for the moon and target for psychopaths, and this effectively renders you unable to truely SERVE or HELP anyone in any significant way.

I don't think you can use someone's empathy against them - not when it's only empathy. But when they can be made to pity, aka judge/submit to illusion/submit to lie based on emotion, they're ripe for manipulation. Wasn't it America's pity for 3000 dead on 911 that made America tolerate the Iraq war, which ironically killed MUCH more than 3000? That's not empathy, but it certainly was pity! All those "911 - we'll never forget" signs! I think it was America's pity for itself, "booo hooo poor lil innocent freedom and democracy-loving us attacked by savage uncivilized satan-worshipping fanatics that hate all humanity and represent the panultimate evil!". Pity for self only leads to selfishness and entropy, empathy for self leads to greater service to others, osit.

Some thoughts!

EsoQuest said:
This goes without saying, I believe. These are all loaded words, and you have completely different types of people habitually using them. What strikes me is a feeling that OP's, psychopaths and empathic individuals may all use the same words, but are actually speaking three different languages.
I don't get it. How could this situation exist without being discovered for many thousands of years? And can't people learn different languages if necessary? That won't mean they are going to change their basic nature. Surely their basic nature must remain the same?

Ruth said:
I don't get it. How could this situation exist without being discovered for many thousands of years? And can't people learn different languages if necessary? That won't mean they are going to change their basic nature. Surely their basic nature must remain the same?
Here are two ways to view language: one is as an accumulation of sound-symbols with visual correspondences (letters and words) to form meanings. The other is as an accumulation of strings of basic meanings (of whatever medium) to form more complex meanings. You can view language as a concrete concept, in other words, where you focus on what language is made of (symbol structures), or as a more abstract concept, where you focus on the meanings corresponding to the structures.

What I meant to say was that everyone who speaks the same language uses the same structure, words and symbol forms, but as far as the resulting meanings resulting from word synthesis are concerned, there can be divergences to the point that it may seem there are several languages spoken within the same one. Of course, I exaggerated to make a point regarding the fact that two people can say the same and mean two different things, or different enough to create misunderstanding.

Actually, there are always nuances of meaning lost when translating from language to language, especially when attempting to do so in a linear word-for-word manner. Someone unfamiliar with English can use a string of words as they would in their own language. The native English speaking listener, however, may attribute a different overall meaning to that string, especially if the subject is abstract. This is actually quite common.

This can happen between two native speakers as well. Haven't you ever tried to get a point accross in plain English to another native English-speaking person and they just could not grok what you were saying, or understood something completely different than what you were saying?

In that case, the words you spoke and the words the other heard were the same. However, two different overall meanings could be attributed. It can happen between people with different personalities, biases, backgrounds. If it did not happen there would be no such thing as miscommunication and maybe no need for estendied dialogue.

We are not computers with the same reference matrix of understanding. We often see the same things differently. To bring coherence and alignment to those differences we discuss. Since, as the proposition goes, the individual-prone, the OP's and the psychopaths have different inner worlds, it stands to reason that they understand things differently and this can be reflected in how they use and percieve language meanings.

In my experience one can actually observe this in action. In fact, you may also ask why the difference between OP's and the individual-prone isn't popularized in our culture or explored by science? And why is Political Ponerology a fringe-theory when it seems so blatantly obvious? Just because something is not taught in books does not mean it is not true.

As an example a psychopath talking about pity may imply manipulation, an OP may imply acts of mercy and an individualize person may imply (out of reflex) compassion. Three different meanings to the same word, as if the same symbol is used by three different languages. Corrections occur when we consider how others might take our words as well as how we understand them.

As you said in another thread:

Ruth said:
Sometimes I think taking things literally may be a distraction.

I semiotics one differentiates between a restricted code and an elaborated code.

EsoQuest said:
Here are two ways to view language: one is as an accumulation of sound-symbols with visual correspondences (letters and words) to form meanings.
This would be the restricted code.

EsoQuest said:
The other is as an accumulation of strings of basic meanings (of whatever medium) to form more complex meanings.
This would be the elaborated code.

Two people can use the same restricted code and at the same time use two entirely different elaborated codes.

Think of man and woman for example. They could be speaking not only the same language, even share some of the same elaborated code as they come from a similar cultural background and still they just don't understand each other.

Or think of the the true adepts that can talk to each other while 'normal us' catch nothing of their deeper meanings.

Ruth said:
Did you read the Adventures Series where I talked extensively about the difference between the "adult dictionary" and the "juvenile" dictionary?

That discussion begins here: http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/adventures100.htm

Semiotics is the study of language or any other symbol system that conveys meaning. The Bible tells us that God spoke before all things, and in this way he created both heaven and earth. It was from the Divine Word that the Cosmos came into being.

One of the great themes of esoterica is that of the alphabet giver and "namer" of things. Adam is, of course, the one we think of when we think of the "giving of names" to things. In terms of the study of Semiotics, the question is: did he name things based on what they WERE, in ESSENCE, or did he simply create a convention, and arbitrarily name them whatever appealed to him?

This is an important issue because conveying things in language is very much like the game in which one person whispers something to another, and on down a line of people, and at the end, the last person announces what was said, and it often bears no relationship whatsoever to the original statement. Being able to communicate the TRUE meaning of something is of paramount importance not only in terms of the thing being said remaining as clear and undefiled as possible, but also in terms of the rapport between the speaker and the listener.

According to the Pythagoreans, the true language was mathematics, and sounds were simply a transformation of mathematical principles into an exchange medium. In this sense, the "sound vibration" of a word had a mathematical nature that could convey something much higher than just the ordinary understanding of the world as it applied to objects in our reality.

But this leads to a problem because there are many languages, and they utilize sounds in different ways, and this leads to the question of which language is the one that truly conveys the deepest, or widest meaning of a word?

The theories of Semiotics propose that there are two levels, or "planes of articulation." At the level of any given language, such as Greek, English, Chinese, or whatever, there is what they call the "Expression plane" that consists of a lexicon, a phonology and syntax. In other words, the Expression Plane is the selection of words that belong to that language, the sounds that the selection of words produce, and the way they are arranged to convey meaning. That is the first plane. The second plane is called the Content Plane. This is the array of concepts that the language is capable of expressing. This last is rather important because, as we have all heard at least once in our lives, Eskimos have many words for snow while people who do not live in an environment where snow and ice are the dominant features, may only have one or two words for these phenomena.

So it is that the "Content Plane" of a language becomes crucial to what can be discussed in that language. Whatever a group of people experience the most becomes part of their awareness, and thus the Content Plane of their language is accordingly modified. In order for the sounds of speech to be meaningful, the words formed out of these sounds must have a meaning associated with them. In other words, the sounds relate to the Content.

This brings us back to the example of the sea slug that a kind of "associative learning" could take place when a mild shock was delivered with the puff of water. The slug learned to associate the puff with the shock and when the puff came alone, the slug withdrew. For the slug, the Content of the puff of water was "pain." Words are similarly learned. And, as we have also discussed, the pyramidal neurons in the Ammon's horn gather the input of other sensory neurons and fire if two separate inputs arrive at the same time. Once fired, it is easier to fire by one of the two inputs that originally fired it, but not by another input. In this way, we also learn the meanings of words, we establish the Content Continuum of our understanding.

The Content Continuum represents the Universe or reality to which our words relate as we are capable of conceiving it. Thinking about this factor, we begin to get a glimmer of the idea that our ability to associate words, to derive deeper and broader or multilevel meaning from them in our process of understanding, is directly related to how we, ourselves, interact with the Cosmos.

The words we use, individually and collectively, and the way we use them, are very deep clues to our perspective and comprehension of the Universe. Our words and the way we use them reveal the totality of our experiences - mental and physical and emotional - our sensations, perceptions, abstractions and so forth. Keeping in mind, of course, that no purely verbal system ever achieves total communication; how do you express in words the scent of a rose? We are always required to supplement words with "helpers, " which may include expressive gestures, or even producing a metaphoric example, or finding a basis of comparison to convey meaning. Nevertheless, in our reality, language and words are clearly Divine, and are the rungs on which we may climb to the Stars.

As noted in the example of Eskimos and snow, there are experiences recognized by other cultures and capable of being expressed in their languages, which we neither recognize nor can we express them. The same problem poses an even greater difficulty when we consider realms of pure thought, or the hyperdimensional reality in which our reality is embedded. In dreams we revert to using words in the "universal" language, a Content Continuum wherein the sound is still connected to the object it designates. This is a clue to the phonetic cabala, of which Fulcanelli speaks; this is also the language into which I was initiated by the Cassiopaeans.

As the C's dropped "word clues" and encouraged me to search for the "mosaic" meaning, I discovered many amazing things. At one point, I stumbled on a little book by a gentleman named Abraham Abehsera. He points out that there seem to be two "universal dictionaries" in which words from all languages are grouped according to their meanings (synonyms) and sounds (homonyms). That is to say, whenever the same or a similar sound is given to different objects in two or more languages, a precise relationship between these objects is being indicated by the Universal language. He theorized that the sum total of languages forms a puzzle in which the image - the true meaning - may only be recovered through reassembling words having the same sound.

The fact that in English, for instance, morning and mourning have the same sound could have been just a coincidence. When German and English both reproduce this coincidence by using the same sound to say morgen (morning) and morgue (chamber where the dead are laid), Hebrew the same group of consonants BQR, to say morning and tomb, and Chinese the same syllable mu, to say evening and tomb, we may legitimately ask what lies behind this repetition. What have morning and evening time to do with mourning, tomb and morgue? [Babel, the Language of the 21st Century, Abehsera]

Abehsera then establishes a mathematical model for comparing words, or a "four language unit" that suggests that a deep common experience between a certain period of time and death related themes. And, as it happens, hundreds of other sound-relationships develop these themes, such as dream and drama, traum (German for dream), trauma, bed, bad, mita in Hebrew which means both death and bed, and so on. Words then become the mode of access to the right half of our brain as opposed to the flat and precise use of words typical of the left brain. Speech can then become a synthesis of the Universal Content Continuum the by a study of the Expression Plane.

There are, of course, many so-called "one way words" that may seem to be sharply defined, and necessarily so for the purpose of describing "events" in our world. But when dealing with what are called "state vectors" in physics, or all possible events given a certain set of parameters, the phonetic cabala is a similar "state vector" to thinking multi-dimensionally. Like pieces of a puzzle, words have been inextricably interwoven into our reality since the dawn of human history. To find the living unity behind language, without negating diversity, is like assembling a body with all its different parts, each of which does different things, and without one of which, the body would be lacking. The greater the number of words for any given object, the more precise a definition can be made about it in terms of the Content Continuum. If there are a thousand ways to say "apple, " by knowing all the associations, we can access that higher realm of thought from whence the idea of an apple has a deeper meaning for man. In this sense, all languages are necessary because they are all complementary. They all tell us about the extraordinary wealth and diversity and limitless possibilities of the Universe in which we exist. What is more, such study of words enables us to interact dynamically with the surrounding reality itself. Word studies develop hyperdimensional awareness which "binds" us to higher realities.

For the reader to simply read the Cassiopaean Transcripts and to assume that they have received the information that was intended to be conveyed; to read any part of it and assume that one has a grasp of a principle, or that it means this or that in a "one way" sort of context, is to miss the important process. The process of "initiation" consisted, in part, of the encouragement of the creation of a far vaster system of "associations" than normally prevails, most especially among those who have followed rigid scholastic or ritualized programs. By expanding the associative memory, the very practical result is that synaptic relationships are created in the Ammon's Horn, and they are "sensitized" to perceive the reality in a multidimensional way. At another level, expanding the associations of things that "occur together in time, " with other things that do likewise, the perception of time changes fundamentally. And we begin to realize why the alchemist Fulcanelli insisted that word studies were the key to unlocking the great secrets.

06-21-97
Q: Well, I think that a HUGE key is in the tracking of the languages...
A: The roots of all languages are identical...
Q: What do you mean?
A: Your origin.
Q: You mean Atlantis?
A: Is that your origin?
Q: You mean Orion?
A: Interesting the word root similarity, yes?
Q: Well, the word root similarities of a LOT of things are VERY interesting!It is AMAZING the things I have discovered by tracking word roots...
A: The architects of your languages left clues aplenty.

It was from these word studies as well as the above remark, that I began to realize that the process of expanding associations of words was literally the process of learning the higher density language. And it most certainly was not, as some suppose, a process of "memetics" or "deriving new meanings" from word associations. Oh no! It was the process of assembling words into mosaic structures through which the mind could access the original meaning that was inherent in the structure. It was a process of "restoration" of the original language of supernatural wisdom that was present in mankind "before the fall." Studying words and myths is a process of archaeologically excavating a marvelously ancient, prehistoric, almost extinct parent language - the language of the Gods. [...]

A lot of people draw lines in the sand of their minds and establish very early on what kinds of things they will or will not consider. We have done it ourselves. Not too long ago, proposing the idea of "aliens" as "real" in ANY sense was so far outside of our own reality that it wasn't even within hailing distance. So we know how this works. Since we had decided, a priori, that such a thing was impossible, we simply never exerted any effort really looking into it, much less examining it in a systematic way. That door was firmly closed in our minds.

But it's a curious thing, this Universe we live in. It seems that the doors we close in our minds leave other doors in our lives wide open - and things come through those doors that are not altogether friendly. Just as a particular definition or association of a word may be unknown to an individual, leaving a sort of "blank spot" in their mind - a point of ignorance which may one day cause them embarassment if they are challenged in a situation where that particular definition is the right one - so it seems that such "blank spots" in our awareness of the possible associations of events in our reality leave us open to their effects on us without any ability to define or understand the real "meaning."

I wrote the first volume of Amazing Grace for the explicit purpose of describing my life during the many years when my "definitions" and "associations" of reality were strictly circumscribed by the "dictionary of life" I was using. When things happened in my life, they were ever and always interpreted by this "dictionary" written by Christianity, and the linear, uniformitarian view of the world. If the interpretation didn't quite "fit" the event, the event was either distorted in my mind, parts of it covered up, shoved under the rug, or I just ignored it. I didn't realize that whoever writes the "dictionaries" that we use to understand the events of our lives have written them with only one or two basic definitions, and have left out a whole host of associations or other definitions that more fully explain the word/event. In a sense, the dictionary we use to define our lives is like a children's dictionary where the simplest and most juvenile definition is given. This leads us to interpret our lives and the world around us in a Cosmically Juvenile way. Even great scholars and "experts" of all kinds continue to use the Juvenile version of the Cosmic Dictionary when it comes to defining and intepreting the facts of their lives and the "real world."

When the average person puts on their power clothes and goes to the workplace, or puts on their Jerry Garcia tee shirt to settle down with a brewski for the big game, intimations of mortality, or immortality are not allowed to intrude. Sure, everyone has a little "strange story" to tell maybe once in their life, maybe even an ghostly encounter, and it is always whispered in hushed or embarrassed tones if it is mentioned at all. The very idea that there are layers, or depth and breadth to our reality that may not be part of the dictionary we have been brought up to use is strictly hidden. Everyone has "agreed" to use the Juvenile Dictionary, and anybody who proposes to use one with more definitions, more semiotic "content" is attacked.

Why?

Well, because our basic reality is defined by a Juvenile Dictionary, of course! That means that Juvenile Reactions are part of the "right" definitions. People who evaluate life based on this Juvenile Dictionary tend to feel overwhelmed by more Semiotic content. It is too much for their brains, too much to think about, too much to handle, and they begin to feel oppressed by their awareness that there may, indeed, be more to the world than they supposed. This awareness of so much "unknown" territory makes the person who has circumscribed their reality into comfortable zones of what is or is not "right" and acceptable, feel a terrifying sense of vertigo, and they want, at all costs, to close that door of awareness. So, since they can't destroy the universe that IS, they seek to get their revenge against the symbolic target of awareness - the individual who has pointed out that there are other definitions and other dictionaries.

Most of ordinary humanity - the vast majority of people - use the Juvenile Dictionary. They have adopted, and internalized, and "made real" this narrow view of the world, and woe to anyone who points out that there ARE other languages, there ARE other definitions, there IS a wider Semiotic Content Plane. But what is important is that no one is born to be forever stuck in a circumscribed Semiotic Content Plane. They are first taught, and then they actively choose to select what defnitions of their experiences they will accept and which ones they will edit out.

Gurdjieff was right: People get out of life what they put into it.

EsoQuest said:

Ruth said:
It tends to be a lot simpler if things are taken in context and left there. Cutting and pasting from other threads is deliberately misleading and manipulative. Besides, if you take something literally which at best is a distraction and at worst a complete fabrication you will end up the creek without a paddle. Its a bit like relying on facts that are incorrect. Or like promoting something that is incorrect. There tends to be something else that gets ignored.

Ruth said:
EsoQuest said:

Ruth said:
It tends to be a lot simpler if things are taken in context and left there. Cutting and pasting from other threads is deliberately misleading and manipulative. Besides, if you take something literally which at best is a distraction and at worst a complete fabrication you will end up the creek without a paddle. Its a bit like relying on facts that are incorrect. Or like promoting something that is incorrect. There tends to be something else that gets ignored.
Ruth, I think Esoquest was trying to help you understand by referring to your post about taking things literally. There wasn't any manipulation or attempt to be misleading. Your reaction seems to be an example of the point he was trying to make. Although you are both using English, there appear to be two languages being spoken.

Henry is right, Ruth. I was actually trying to be as helpful as I could in my whole commentary. I figured you are familiar with your own thought process, and thought to refer you to it regarding taking things literally. Maybe the context was not identicle but I thought it would give you a familiar frame of reference as to where I was coming from.

The motives you attribute to me...personally I have no clue where they came from, because I made an effort to be civil in my presentation. These motives, however, imply I was trying to lure you into thinking in a certain way or to a certain type of thinking, when all I was trying to do is answer your question, which I believe the posts following mine clarified very well.

Please take off the boxing gloves, because they make objective communication difficult. In any case, just as you are up the creek without a paddle when you take something literally that is misleading, you can also be up the creek when you consider a sincere statement to be misleading and manipulative. Besides, the statement I quoted from you holds true regardless of the thread it was on, and identifies why abstract thinking is necessary when discussing certain topics.

Back
Top Bottom