2009 Crop Circles

I think the butterfly one looks amazing! (even if it is man made :P) It reminds me of "the butterfly effect".

Also, Redrock12 posted these pictures in this thread. I thought we should put the pics up here as well since it's a 2009 crop circle :P

According to Redrock's post, it appeared eight miles north of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan Canada.
sept%20crop%20circle%201.jpg

sept%20crop%20circle%202.jpg

sept%20crop%20circle%203.jpg

sept%20crop%20circle%204.jpg

Deedlet said:
I think the butterfly one looks amazing! (even if it is man made :P) It reminds me of "the butterfly effect".

yes the Butterfly Man one is pretty straight forward too: metamorphoses for dummies

Deedlet said:
Also, Redrock12 posted these pictures in this thread. I thought we should put the pics up here as well since it's a 2009 crop circle :P

According to Redrock's post, it appeared eight miles north of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan Canada.
sept%20crop%20circle%201.jpg

sept%20crop%20circle%202.jpg

sept%20crop%20circle%203.jpg

sept%20crop%20circle%204.jpg

this one looks like a man sitting on a 'futuristic' wheelchair :lol:

love to hear what it could actually symbolize

There's a video on nationalgeographic.com showing how huge is one crop circle (~00:40):
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/science/weird-science-sci/uk_cropcircles.html

Attachments

• enormous_cc1.jpg
    enormous_cc1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 327
Ellipse said:
There's a video on nationalgeographic.com showing how huge is one crop circle (~00:40):
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/science/weird-science-sci/uk_cropcircles.html

nice aerial shots in that video! the reticence to admit this is (largely) not a man-made phenomena still boggles my mind though...

quote from video said:
"Well, if there are aliens out there doing it, they're using stomper-boards and these little markers..."

:shock: :lol: :lol:

I had a hunch about 21st June Avebury, Wiltshire crop circle after 2 days it was appeared or so. I don't know the reason for this, maybe it was so fascinating even though yin-yang symbols are so common and used everywhere. So after I had this hunch I put the photo of this crop circle into some basic engineering program and had tried to measure the ratios between some distances. Well, I had realized that this was somehow coherent with golden ratio.

drawing1x.jpg

70.4 / 43.6 = 1,6146
114 / 70.4 = 1,619

And the golden ratio is approx. 1.6180339

Well I know this photo has an angled view and I don't know the real dimensions but since this is a scaled measurement the ratios will not change i think. And since this crop circle has been chosen for the FOTCM symbol i wanted to share this idea. Conclusion : very good choice.

un chien anadolu said:
...I had realized that this was somehow coherent with golden ratio.

drawing1x.jpg

70.4 / 43.6 = 1,6146
114 / 70.4 = 1,619

That's pretty cool! Any idea if the ratio still holds in the FOTCM logo?

un chien anadolu said:
I had a hunch about 21st June Avebury, Wiltshire crop circle after 2 days it was appeared or so. I don't know the reason for this, maybe it was so fascinating even though yin-yang symbols are so common and used everywhere. So after I had this hunch I put the photo of this crop circle into some basic engineering program and had tried to measure the ratios between some distances. Well, I had realized that this was somehow coherent with golden ratio.

drawing1x.jpg

70.4 / 43.6 = 1,6146
114 / 70.4 = 1,619

Well I know this photo has an angled view and I don't know the real dimensions but since this is a scaled measurement the ratios will not change i think. And since this crop circle has been chosen for the FOTCM symbol i wanted to share this idea. Conclusion : very good choice.

I was trying to analyze the proportions of this circle too! Unfortunately I think the angle the photo is taken at does make a difference. The right side would be shortened more than the left side because it is further away.
I was curious because of a thread that shijing resurrected from a 3 and a half year sleep about the geometry of crop circles. I ended up checking out some of the proportions in the FOTCM logo with some interesting results: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=475.msg116256#msg116256

There was a diagram of this formation created in the thread with FOTCM logo designs, but i'm not sure if it is entirely accurate. From the looks of it and from the explanation it sounds like it may be.

forge said:
Double Yin-Yang crop circle proportions, good for 2D mask and 3D reference. Shapes filled (paths), PSD format, (photoshop CS3 ~4 hours of work from yesterday)
_http://hardwired.hu/upload/logo_V2_06.zip

Fantastic work here everyone! Now, let's get to work!
dblyinyangccprop.jpg

So I did the same thing with the crop circle diagram that I did with the FOTCM logo and here's what I found:

Measuring from the center of each circle (for the logo I measured from the outer edge of each circle), I found all of the ratios of the areas of the circles to the area of the yin/yang to be approximately diatonic.

yin/yang = 1
first circle = 1.96 (approximately 2)
second circle = 4
third circle = 6.212 (approximately 6.25)
fourth circle = 9.658 (approximately 9.666666... *nine and two thirds)

When I measured from the outer edge of the circles none of them were even close. But I think it makes more sense to measure from the center anyways.

Here's the picture:

[edit: I'm not entirely sure of the accuracy of my measuring techniques, so this may all be null. But I will see if I can find a way of being more precise and post back in the future]

Attachments

• logocircle.jpg
    logocircle.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/197969-I-think-the-shapes-are-touching-something-deep-within-us-Crop-circles-crossovers-from-another-dimension

Very interesting video with info that was new to me including:

In part 1: Crop cirlcles have been around for hundreds of years and were thought to be the work of the devil; one was depicted in a copper engraving in 1678. Generations of families have memories of crop circles - kids, parents, and grandparents - and the children playing in them when they were growing up. A strong correlation between the crop circles and the chalk soil of southern England was found. Chalk is the main aquifer base of this region and 98% of the southern England crop circles are located over underground water or aquifers. There's only aquifers under 40% of the land mass of Britain. Also, the underground water needs to be water that is activated by the currents of earth energy which course through the ground, currents that are very strong around the ancient sites of England. Crop circles are a worldwide phenomenon.

In part 2: Allan Brown's comments regarding "squaring a circle by it's circumference" which is "impossible to achieve with 100% accuracy", but "new principles for doing this ... was revealed in a crop circle"; Michaeal Glickmans discovery in 1997 of a crop circle with some very special proportions: a formation that encoded a squared circle and that Brown found this same principle demonstrated repeatedly from 1982 to 2002 in the circles he studied during that period. There is also a correlation between the earth and the moon's radiuses - if you run a circle through the center of the moon (the moon is centered atop the earth in the diagram), it squares the circle (around the earth). Astonishingly, this same principle is found in the Stonehenge formation in relation to the distance between the inner and outer stone circles! Also, when you take the earth's diameter plus the moon's and earth's radiuses in English miles (5040 miles/7920 miles), it corresponds to the same figures at Stonehenge in feet and decimals (50.4 feet/79.2 feet). 5040 is the first seven numbers multiplied together (1x2x3x4x5x6x7) and 7920 appears by multiplying the next four (8x9x10x11). Plato describes these numbers as the key symbols of the divinely ordered creation and the video narrator says they lay on the root of all ancient culture. The video then discusses a crop circle that appeared consisting of 144 circles around a circle with the same figures of 504 standing elements and 792 flattened elements in a scale of 1 to 10. It clearly symbolized the DNA spiral, the squaring of the circle, and the relationship between the earth and moon by divine numbers. (Does anyone seriously think that Doug and Dave pulled this one off?!!) If you add, 504 + 792 = 1296 (6x6x6x6) which in the ancient Greek alphabet spells out a name: GODDESS OF ALL CREATION. How amazing is that?!!

There is also included video of a crop circle actually forming and of the various anomalous balls of light seen flying over crop circles. All in all, an extremely interesting film although having been produced in 2006, the amazing circles of the past three years are not a part of the film.

combsbt said:
[edit: I'm not entirely sure of the accuracy of my measuring techniques, so this may all be null. But I will see if I can find a way of being more precise and post back in the future]

I would say that for the highest accuracy for whatever you do, you should try to get an original, high resolution image from the crop circle and then 'un-distort' it. Since those pictures are taken from a large distance, the distortion is fortunately nearly orthographic and can be undone with standard computer programs. The posted image from forge is still not completely un-distorted; you can see that the circles still are slight ellipses.

Then I would try to reconstruct the geometry in a CAD program with exact circles -- and only circles -- and measure there the distances/intervals.

Maybe you could illustrate it and explain a bit about "diatonic" scales so that everyone can see and understand what you've done?

Just wanted to add this here as a perhaps relevant piece of trivia. This year there was a hummingbird cc, and it came to my attention recently that a hummingbird's wings trace a horizontal figure 8 or infinity symbol when it flies.

JEEP said:
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/197969-I-think-the-shapes-are-touching-something-deep-within-us-Crop-circles-crossovers-from-another-dimension

Very interesting video with info that was new to me including:

Well, the video is no longer available. Do you happen to know the name of the video so I can search for it Jeep?

Well, this is very strange! I looked in my History to locate the original URL of the Sott article: http://www.viddler.com/explore/ConspiracyFact/videos/258/386.213/
The video there is now missing, too! I was actually composing an email to my personal contacts regarding this video and came across this 2009 documentary which corresponds to the 2006 documentary - it has some of the same info including the video of a crop circle being made. Better watch it quick before it disappears as well! :O I was also formulating a post in suggest an article for Sott when I noticed that the original video was no longer listed in the Haunted Planet section and began searching and found your reply that it was now missing.

New swirled order (crop circle documentary 2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mAdrSvOgwI

Noted onscreen of this video: www.nuoviso.com

Meanwhile, I wonder what happened to the 2006 video? :huh:

Data said:
combsbt said:

I would say that for the highest accuracy for whatever you do, you should try to get an original, high resolution image from the crop circle and then 'un-distort' it. Since those pictures are taken from a large distance, the distortion is fortunately nearly orthographic and can be undone with standard computer programs. The posted image from forge is still not completely un-distorted; you can see that the circles still are slight ellipses.

Then I would try to reconstruct the geometry in a CAD program with exact circles -- and only circles -- and measure there the distances/intervals.

Maybe you could illustrate it and explain a bit about "diatonic" scales so that everyone can see and understand what you've done?

I agree this is what needs to be done to have the accuracy required to provide any dependable results. This is assuming I can get high res images in the first place.

About the diatonic scale thing - it was from this post:

shijing said:
I recently read about a mathematician named Gerald Hawkins who seems to be best-known for his earlier work on Stonehenge, but who also studied crop circles toward the end of this life. His findings include the inclusion of the diatonic ratios in several formations (the diatonic ratios are the mathematical ratios which correlate to the notes of the diatonic musical scale), as well as a new Euclidian theorem. This is an interview before his death (from _http://www.share-international.org/archives/crop_circles/cc_ml-music-spheres.htm):

Music of the spheres?
Interview with Gerald S. Hawkins
by Monte Leach

A radio astronomer reports on the mathematical relationships within the elements of crop circles in England.

Gerald S. Hawkins earned a Ph D in radio astronomy with Sir Bernard Lovell at Jodrell Bank, England, and a D Sc for astronomical research at the Harvard-Smithsonian Observatories. His undergraduate degrees were in physics and mathematics from London University. Hawkins’ discovery that Stonehenge was built by neolithic people to mark the rising and setting of the sun and moon over an 18.6-year cycle stimulated the new field of archaeoastronomy. From 1957 to 1969 he was Professor of Astronomy and Chairman of the Department at Boston University, and Dean of the College at Dickinson College from 1969 to 1971. He is currently a commission member of the International Astronomical Union, and is engaged in research projects in archaeoastronomy and the crop circle phenomenon.

Monte Leach: How did you get interested in the crop circle phenomenon?

Gerald Hawkins: Many years ago, I had worked on the problem of Stonehenge, showing it was an astronomical observatory. My friends and colleagues mentioned that crop circles were occurring around Stonehenge, and suggested that I have a look at them.

I began reading Colin Andrews’ and Pat Delgado’s book, Circular Evidence. I found that the only connection I could find between Stonehenge and the circles was geographic. But I got interested in crop circles for their own sake.

ML: What interested you about them?

GH: I was very impressed with Andrews’ and Delgado’s book. It provided all the information that a scientist would need to start an analysis. In fact, Colin Andrews has told me that that’s exactly what they intended to happen. I began to analyse their measurements statistically.

The major scale

ML: What did you find?

GH: The measurements of these patterns enabled me to find simple ratios. In one type of pattern, circles were separated from each other, like a big circle surrounded by a group of so-called satellites. In this case, the ratios were the ratios of diameters. A second type of pattern had concentric rings like a target. In this case, I took the ratios of areas. The ratios I found, such as 3/2, 5/4, 9/8, ‘rang a bell’ in my head because they are the numbers which musicologists call the ‘perfect’ intervals of the major scale.

ML: How do the ratios correspond with, for instance, the notes on a piano that people might be familiar with?

GH: If you take the note C on the piano, for instance, then go up to the note G, you’ve increased the frequency of the note (the number of vibrations per second), or its pitch, by 1 1/2 times. One and one-half is 3/2. Each of the notes in the perfect system has an exact ratio — that is, one single number divided by another, like 5/3.

ML: If we were going to go up the major scale from middle C, what ratios would we have?

GH: The notes are C, D, E, F, G, A and B. The ratios are 9/8, 5/4, 4/3, 3/2, 5/3, 15/8, finishing with 2, which would be C octave.

ML: How many formations did you analyse and how many turned out to have diatonic ratios relating to the major scale?

GH: I took every pattern in their book, Circular Evidence. I found that some of them were listed as accurately measured and some were listed as roughly or approximately measured. I finished up with 18 patterns that were accurately measured. Of these, 11 of them turned out to follow the diatonic ratios. Colin Andrews has since given me accurate measurements for one of the circles in the book that had been discarded because it was inaccurate. That one turned out to be diatonic as well. We finished up with 19 accurately measured formations, of which 12 were major diatonic.

The difficulty of hitting a diatonic ratio just by chance is enormous. The probability of hitting 12 out of 19 is only 1 part in 25,000. We’re sure, 25,000 to 1, that this is a real result.

ML: Could this in some way be a ‘music of the spheres’, so to speak?

GH: I am just a conventional scientist analyzing this mathematically. One has to report that the ratios are the same as the ratios of our own Western invention — the diatonic ratios of the (major) scale. We have only developed this diatonic major scale in Western music slowly through history. These are not the ratios that would be used in Japanese music, for instance. But I am not calling the crop circles ‘musical’. They just follow the same mathematical relationships.

I just took the ratios of the areas of the circles, but where I measured from was kind of arbitrary, so any results would not be dependable. With a high res version, un-distorted by CAD software, It would be better. However, It may even be that what constitutes "accurate measurement" is actually going to them and physically measuring them.

Back
Top Bottom