Panic Attacks

Keit said:
seek10 said:
Interestingly, one thought keeps popping up is "I am alone" because not many people are talking about it. this has its own effect to the situation.

Panic attacks are a recurring thing in my life. Today they are not as debilitating as in the past, and it is all thanks to the diet and EE.

Good to know that you are able to control it , which raises my hopes.

In my case panic morphed into depression, with a tendency to procrastinate because of lack of motivation. Which in its turn fed further panic attacks. What I noticed that at least in my case the core reason for panic attacks was a feeling that I have no control over some situation in my life, or that the mistakes I made will come to haunt me and that I need to go over everything I did and see if I can fix it somehow. Usually the urge to fix means "now!".
Exactly SAME Feeling.
Keit said:
You mentioned that it usually happens to you at night and especially when you need to finish an important work. Well, 2am is a very quiet moment, and if you have some heavy thoughts weighting on you, it is a perfect time for all your fears to become activated. Those might be fears of failure, or fear of punishment or condemnation, again lack of control and urge to fix the situation and end the self-torture. In my case, it was part of a vicious circle where my procrastination led me to do everything in the last minute, or not do at all, and then spending sleepless nights being afraid of circumstances.

There is some thing more to it in my case. I feel some tick tick tapping on back of my head and feet. Honestly, It reminds me of upstairs evil magician control mechanism. Of course there is nothing we can do except controlling our faculties. for some reason, this happens at 1 to 3 AM. Some times I keep my mp3 player running with some useful reading. this has positive effect. some time I ignore it and sleep to get blockages. Most of the times, I wake up lazily thinking I need some more sleep. During the waking hours, these tapping happens, when I am relaxed and self observant and in good mood, as if it is reacting to my situation. I started realizing that 'Breath In with Nose , Breath Out with throat' has a positive effect of reducing this panic effect. I hope, I get some handle over this phenomena. POTS has lot of positive effect on this phenomenon. that is why I wake up at that time and do POTS. As long as I doesn't indulge in self pity for sleep reduction and lazily lie to sleep, I think I am doing good.

I started realizing that there is lot of 'FEAR' factors at work and in my personnel life are contributing to this very badly.

Keit said:
Also, in this opportunity I wanted to thank you mentioning "Change Your Thinking" (Cognitive Therapy) book by Sarah Edelman. I am reading it now, and it is very helpful and practical. Do you find it helpful for you too? What is good about this book is that it helps to identify the true reasons for emotional reactions or thought loops. And when you know the true reason, it is easier to find the proper solution.
Yes , This is a good book. Other day, I was rereading the snakes in suits and felt that what I ever do is useless at my work and slept. This is in the afternoon. I woke up with Intense depression and hopelessness. I forced my self to open the book and read the list of destructive cognitive distortions in thoughts which leaves negative emotional state. The entire depression lifted in 2 minutes. I was amazed at the result. I bought the David Burn's Feeling good book. This is also very good book. techniques are same, but Burn's techniques are much more original I think. burns checklist is very interesting

Keit said:
Also, I would advice you to ask Psyche, or search the forum for the information on supplements that might help you to calm yourself and have better sleep.
I will checkup. thank you for taking time and suggesting.

Hi Seek10,

It seems to me like you are really making progress, but that it probably doesn't always feel like it, because lots of things are coming up that used to be repressed.

It sounds like the things that you are doing are the right ones for you right now. The crying is probably a good sign like others said. Hang in there!

seek10 said:
I know how it feels, and it's certainly the EE program who is doing its job:
you may have some old emotions who are trying to getting out, and it's a good news. You're maybe feeling guilty about some things you've done in the past, or things that people have done to you. No matter what you did, you don't deserve panic attacks, and you have to let those emotions making their way out of your heart: write them, say them out loud. Works for me.

that is what I do I write it down. This is much better than nothing. but I sense some thing bigger has to be done permanently, I keep fumbling. when I wrote this yesterday to the forum, after long time I cried. I really don't know the meaning of the cries. Is it relief or release of block or some thing more.? I don't know.

You will get rid of these attacks, it's just a matter of time now that you've asked for help here. Let us know how it works for you.

thank you for your comment.

Keit said:
Also, I would advice you to ask Psyche, or search the forum for the information on supplements that might help you to calm yourself and have better sleep.

psyche,
I appreciate your opinion of the vitamins I am taking. I should have asked you month back , but I thought of trying what you mentioned other threads. namely 5-HTP , Magnesium . I know , it varies with person to person, but I thought of trying out that before asking ( self importance too).

one year back, I did ultramind quiz and listed out all the vitamins needed with vitamins. after 6 months I did ultramind quiz again. some of the symptoms disappeared and I scaled back lot of vitamins. I will do the quiz again to day and see what will come out.

Currently these are the vitamins I am taking.

morning - berry milk shake with all vitamins ( I take vitamin D before that ) - vitamin C ( 5g ) , NAC , B complex , glutathoine, ALA , digestive enzymes, B-12 , magnesium citrate ( 400 mg) , glutamin, tyrosin

lunch/ dinner - mostly brown rice ( some times buck wheat or quonia) with some vegetables ( carrots or brocolli or spinach ) or some chicken or ground turkey

snack - some raw organic carrots , some nuts like almonds or macademia
or some fruit bar or some

evening vitamins - 2 GPC , 2 vitamin E , fish oil , primeroseoil , B6, Gaba, oxbile.

before sleep - vitamin c(2g) , magnesium ( citrate, malate or oratate) - 600 mg or more , 5-HTP 200mg to 300 mg.

I did once nystatin candida control for couple months and I will start again in coming 2 weeks.

It looks good to me! I will keep the schedule if that is what has worked for you, and then if your necessity of supplements decreases according to your guide (quiz results or symptoms), you can cut out further. You can add a good multivitamin/mineral with selenium and zinc. When you take the nystatin, don't take it at the same time you're taking your minerals though.

I'm happy to hear things are going better.

Some people need more than 300mg of 5HTP to achieve a good night sleep. Here is a rough guide made by Rodger Murphree, author of "Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome." It also has a guide of melatonin. It might be useful in order to find your own requirements of 5 HTP:

One of three things will happen when taking 5HTP with
a beginning dose of 50 mg at night:

1. The person falls asleep within 30 minutes and sleeps
through the night. If this is the case, stay on this dose. After
a few days, if you start to have problems with sleep again,
increase your dose of 5HTP as described below.

2. Nothing happens. This is the typical response to such a low
dose. Continue to add 50 mg each night (up to a maximum
of 300 mg) until you fall asleep within 30 minutes and sleep
through the night. You should stay at the minimum dose
needed for deep sleep (up to a maximum of at 300 mg per
night).

Example: You take 50 mg of 5HTP 30 minutes before bed on
an empty stomach with 4 ounces of grape juice [Psyche:we use water to cut sugar intake and works just fine]
but don’t fall asleep within 30 minutes and/or don’t sleep through the
night. If this happens, add an additional 50 mg for a total of
100 mg of 5HTP. Take as directed above. If you don’t fall
asleep within 30 minutes and/or don’t sleep through the
night (7–8 hours of sleep), add an additional 50 mg for a
total of 150 mg. Keep increasing as needed up to 300 mg or
until you fall asleep within 30 minutes and sleep through
the night.

3. Instead of making you sleepy, the dose makes you more
alert. This occurs more often in CFS
patients and is due to a sluggish liver. If this happens, you should discontinue taking
5HTP at bedtime. Instead, take 50 mg with food for 1–2
days. Taking 5HTP with food will slow it down and allow the
liver to process it like any other food stuff. Taking 5HTP with
food will not (usually) make you sleepy. If after 1–2 days you
have no further problems with 5HTP, you should increase to
100 mg of 5HTP with each meal (300 mg a day).
Taking 5HTP with food will help raise your serotonin and normalize
your sleep/wake cycles. It may take a little longer to see positive
results when taking 5HTP with food (1-2 weeks), but don’t
worry. You’ll eventually build up your serotonin stores and start to
see an improvement in your sleep, pain, moods, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), and energy.

Melatonin Supplementation

When administered in pharmacological doses (1–6 mg before bed),
melatonin acts as a powerful sleep-regulating agent that controls
the circadian rhythm. A low dose of melatonin has also been
shown to be effective in treating insomnia and jet lag.

Delayed Sleep Phase Insomnia

Patients with altered circadian rhythms (sleep wake cycles) often
find it hard to fall asleep before the early morning hours. They
then end up sleeping through the day. This causes a further disruption
to normal circadian rhythms. It can be hard to get these
patients’ rhythms normalized. Studies have shown that 5 mg of
melatonin given at 11 p.m. helps advance and reset circadian
rhythms.

If you aren’t falling asleep within 30 minutes and sleeping through
the night on 300 mg of 5HTP, then it’s time to add melatonin.
If you’re taking 5HTP with food, make sure you’re taking 300–400
mg a day.

Magnesium

You should already be on CFS/Fibro Formula or some other highdose,
broad-spectrum multivitamin and mineral formula with a
minimum of 700 mg of magnesium.

5HTP plus B6 (piridoxin), B3 (niacin) and magnesium

A deficiency of any of the synergistic nutrients (magnesium, calcium, and
vitamins B6, B12, B1, and B3), will prevent the production

Psyche said:
It looks good to me! I will keep the schedule if that is what has worked for you, and then if your necessity of supplements decreases according to your guide (quiz results or symptoms), you can cut out further. You can add a good multivitamin/mineral with selenium and zinc. When you take the nystatin, don't take it at the same time you're taking your minerals though.

I'm happy to hear things are going better.

thank you psyche. I will add zinc and selenium, Multivitamins.

I’m not sure whether my experience of what I called asphyxiating attack is as a result of external influences or as a consequence of doing the three-stage breathing and PotS daily. Back in April I posted that I felt it was the former, as it appeared to happen around a certain time period. After a while it seemed to go away, more recently it has reappeared. Now it appears at any time, although it does tend to be when I’ve drunk hot fluid, such as herbal tea, my waist belt is tight, and I’m reclining. Fortunately, now recognizing the symptoms I take immediate action before it gets to the stage of my breathing stopping. I mentioned it to my therapist yesterday and she said it was a panic attack, and last night I woke up in the middle of the night with what I would call a panic attack, it was as if I was being smothered. I’m still not sure if it the E-E programme or external influences. This post was initially made on another thread, where it was confirmed that these symptoms where classic for panic attacks; hence re-posting it here.

Trevrizent said:
I’m not sure whether my experience of what I called asphyxiating attack is as a result of external influences or as a consequence of doing the three-stage breathing and PotS daily. Back in April I posted that I felt it was the former, as it appeared to happen around a certain time period. After a while it seemed to go away, more recently it has reappeared. Now it appears at any time, although it does tend to be when I’ve drunk hot fluid, such as herbal tea, my waist belt is tight, and I’m reclining. Fortunately, now recognizing the symptoms I take immediate action before it gets to the stage of my breathing stopping. I mentioned it to my therapist yesterday and she said it was a panic attack, and last night I woke up in the middle of the night with what I would call a panic attack, it was as if I was being smothered. I’m still not sure if it the E-E programme or external influences. This post was initially made on another thread, where it was confirmed that these symptoms where classic for panic attacks; hence re-posting it here.

I really doubt that your panic attacks are related to the EE program at all, Trevrizent. Are you sure they are panic attacks? Are you sure there's no other physiological issue causing them? Like thyroid/hormonal issues? Are you sure you are doing the pipe breathing correctly? It reads very weird to me, because ANY breathing technique in fact is recommended and relieves panic attacks. And how often to you do the Baha in a week? Could it be old fears coming to surface? Perhaps you can do an experiment and don't do the Baha for a month and see what happens? I am sure others will jump in with more insight. Do keep us posted.

Alana said:
Could it be old fears coming to surface? Perhaps you can do an experiment and don't do the Baha for a month and see what happens?
I agree with this. Try letting go of the baha for a while and take note of what happens. It may be old fears/issues surfacing and you just need to slow down for a while as they process. Keep us updated. :)

truth seeker said:
Alana said:
Could it be old fears coming to surface? Perhaps you can do an experiment and don't do the Baha for a month and see what happens?
I agree with this. Try letting go of the baha for a while and take note of what happens. It may be old fears/issues surfacing and you just need to slow down for a while as they process. Keep us updated. :)
Hi Alana and truthseeker

I have not done the BaHa breathing part of the E-E programme for months, because of this. It may well be old fears/issues surfacing, possible neonatal trauma.

Alana said:
… Are you sure there's no other physiological issue causing them? Like thyroid/hormonal issues?

I’ll look into possible thyroid problems.

I’ll keep you updated.

Today, I rechecked my score in the Ultramind quiz for Thyroid - 7 which is OK.

From a therapy session yesterday exploring a childhood trauma that occurred at school, holding my breath cropped up here. So it is quite likely related to primal fears (pain) experienced much earlier in life.

Trevrizent said:

My score for thyroid in the Ultramind quiz came out ok too, though i know from tests that i have hypothyroidism. It's not so severe as to require medication, according to my endocrinologist, and my tests remain stable, with no change to the worst so far. I wonder whether the diet and the EE program keep it in check. I haven't had a test in over a year too.

Trevrizent said:
From a therapy session yesterday exploring a childhood trauma that occurred at school, holding my breath cropped up here. So it is quite likely related to primal fears (pain) experienced much earlier in life.

This might be the case for you then, Trevrizent. Thank you for letting us know. And how are your panic attacks lately, did you see any improvement?

I know how horrible the feeling is, so i wish you wholeheartedly to be soon free from them. I did not have the EE back when i was suffering from them, but breathing did help me a lot. Keep doing the Pipe Breathing and the meditation daily. It will help you process gently all your past repressed emotions.

Trevrizent said:
It reads very weird to me, because ANY breathing technique in fact is recommended and relieves panic attacks.

I used to get panic attacks quite a bit. I had generalized anxiety and indigestion so bad I chewed those antacid tabs like they were candy. It progressed to where I began to experience (mild) agoraphobia - Sometimes I just could not bring myself to leave my house. I would be dressed, with my keys in hand, standing at my front door and just could not go out that door.

The thing that helped most of all was learning about "progressive relaxation" techniques. Basically, it is:

Lie down.
Starting with the feet, clench them tight and release. Next (each in turn) the lower legs, upper legs, hands, arms, belly, shoulders/neck, and face. Notice the difference between the clenching and the relaxing. Then, take slow deep breaths (belly breaths are best). I practiced at least a few times a week.

When an attack occurred, I learned to remember to breathe! Long slow deep belly breaths. The theory is that you cannot be both anxious and relaxed at the same time.

My panic attacks went away and I rarely have one these days and when I do, it is usually very mild. My indigestion went away and I rarely have heartburn these days. No drugs were needed, thankfully.

The book I got most of the information from was "Managing Your Anxiety".

Of course, this deals with the physical aspects and I think you are on the right track with working on tracking down the sources of your anxiety. But, dealing with the physical can be helpful in support of the rest of your work. I wish you success in overcoming this.

Alana said:
Trevrizent said:

My score for thyroid in the Ultramind quiz came out ok too, though i know from tests that i have hypothyroidism. It's not so severe as to require medication, according to my endocrinologist, and my tests remain stable, with no change to the worst so far. I wonder whether the diet and the EE program keep it in check. I haven't had a test in over a year too.

Trevrizent said:

This might be the case for you then, Trevrizent. Thank you for letting us know. And how are your panic attacks lately, did you see any improvement?

I know how horrible the feeling is, so i wish you wholeheartedly to be soon free from them. I did not have the EE back when i was suffering from them, but breathing did help me a lot. Keep doing the Pipe Breathing and the meditation daily. It will help you process gently all your past repressed emotions.

Thanks for the reply Alana, I take note of your comment on the thyroid score.

After finishing mercury detoxing I've recently restarted doing the Ultra Simple Diet and eliminations testing - one or two surprises there too. I do the three stage Pipe Breathing and PotS daily, more than once.

I am still getting attacks - though not every day, still around about the same time of the day - on recognizing the symptoms I immediately start Pipe breathing. There are other symptoms of releasing repressed emotions too, in my sleep - which I'd like to overcome too, it's a little embarrassing at my age! :) Therapy continues this week, moving slowly forward towards the primal fears situation.

Thanks for the update Trevrizent, keep us posted. Seems like you are making good progress! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom