YEAHHH!!! - Found my caffee latte alternative: caffeine and dairy free

nicklebleu

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hi,

One of the things I really have been missing since I changed my diet is caffee latte.

Now I have found a healthy alternative, without the caffeine, without coffee, without dairy ...

Here goes:

1. For the "coffee" I use chicory granules made from its roots. I remember my grandpa using that in Europe when I was little. During WWII it was a common "coffee ersatz", which he got so used to that he continued to drink even when coffee became widely available again.
These granules I brew with hot water for 5 minutes and drain.

2. For the "latte" bit I use self-made almond milk, as described in this forum section elsewhere. I then foam it with my coffee machine just like ordinary milk.

3. Pour into "coffee" - et voilà! Enjoy.

OK, it's not the real deal, but I find it really good. The texture is the same, the bitterness is there and the sweetness from the almond milk (thanks to a small amount of xylitol). So now when my wife has one of my real cafe latte I don't miss out ...

Sounds good, I tried chicory before and I liked it. I'll try it out with rice milk to see if I can enhance the flavor and substitute the almonds :) Thanks!

Have improved on the original "recipe", I think ...

I now mix 1:1 roasted chicory with roasted dandelion roots.
I think it is a little bit closer to coffee.

Back
Top Bottom