Would a freezer in my bedroom be okay?

I had one small chest refrigerator and used to store bulk purchased meat. All meat gone bad including refrigerator( started smelling how many times I cleaned) during 1 week power outage due to Hurricane Sandy in 2012. But, the canned food from that time still good and i use it once in a while.

I do go out for shopping with a mask, Mostly I cover nose and mouth while entering the shop, nearer to people and leaving (if it is mandatory). Otherwise, I simply cover mouth. Whether we call it obedience or external consideration, atleast it solves the problem. I am not happy with it, but it is what it is in the current world.
Just went out to buy smokes. Mandatory masks. I had many excuses in my head to explain for dissent for not wearing a mask (it blew away in the mile walk, then got run over) ( I actually just forgot) but it worked out, no issues. Not everyone is insane

I just got my chest freezer today! I ordered it early April They are back ordered 2-3 months. Craziness. I can't answer your questions regarding EMF and safety. Thinking about it, I wouldn't want to put one in a totally enclosed location, due to ventilation / overheating issues.

If you live in the US, the GE chest freezers are the highest rated by consumer reports, so that's what I went with. They are rated to operate in temperatures up 110F and advertised to be usable in garages that don't get AC. HotPoint is also GE's budget brand, those seem to be decent too. If you really want one, check eBay, otherwise order one from Home Depot or Lowe's and wait.

Anyone else thinking of getting a chest freezer, I would recommend one. They are very efficient in terms of power usage. A 10 cubic foot freezer draws about 100 watts/hour, and surges to around 600 when the compressor turns on. This means you could easily power one during a power outage with a small generator. You could also power it with a small "portable power bank" - One that's rated for 500 watts should be enough to run a 5 or 7 cubic foot fridge. You can usually connect a solar panel to those little power banks, good renewable energy to keep your meats/veggies frozen during a power outage.

Before freezers, food was fermented or dried for longer shelf life.
You can store fermented vegetables for a year or more.

How long does dehydrated food last?
Most home dehydrated food, when prepared and stored correctly, can last for months and up to a year. But a lot depends on the storage method and storage environment.​
Fruits & Vegetables: 1 year for fruit, about 6 months for vegetables at 60F (source: NCHFP), though vacuum sealing can extend the shelf life.​
Fruit leathers: up to a month at room temperature, or a year in the freezer (source: NCHFP).​
Meat: 1 to 2 months (source: USDA), or 6 months if vacuum sealed and frozen (source: The Dehydrator Cookbook).​
Grains, Beans, and Rice: 1 year (source: The Dehydrator Cookbook).​
Of course, some report that their dehydrated food lasts much longer than the timeframes listed above, but these are the general guidelines we follow based on the listed sources. And, some foods may not last as long due to dehydrating and storage conditions. When in doubt, discard any questionable food!​

I've lived in a caravan on two occasions while building or renovating a house and have to say that the fridge being in the same room that I was sleeping in was disturbing and uncomfortable.

On a side note, canned food in the UK kinda sucks and most of it has gluten and other gross stuff in it, but I'm sure Waitrose did canned duck legs in the past that were fairly decent, and sometimes bigger Marks and Sparks stores do canned pork. The name escapes me but it was flakes of pork in pork fat which is delicious.

Was it canned brawn? If so, I agree. Brawn is yummy.

I bought a freezer recently and put it in the garage - it hums along nicely even though its not rated for garage use. @Matthew, if it gives you any comfort, I grew up sleeping in a bedroom with the refrigerator right next to the bed. There was some noise but we got used to it - at least it wasn't as bad a trains passing by every 30 minutes. You see, our house was very close to the train tracks.

An excellent article and podcast of the befits of Zero EMF exposure at night, (and improving the quality of sleep).
Nick Pineault and Dan Evison
Discussed during this episode
  • How Dan, a former EMF skeptic, ended up changing his mind and inventing the EMF Sleep Switch
  • Is it safe to turn your circuit breakers on and off every night? Dan weighs in.
  • How one of the more advanced models of the EMF Sleep Switch can reduce dirty electricity at home by turning off the neutral phase of your household wiring
  • Can the EMF Sleep Switch work in Europe or Asia too?
  • Who can install the EMF Sleep Switch, and how much does it cost

When we were first married, me and my wife bought a chest freezer, about 9 Q/ft. We had it in the kitchen in our first house, and then in a utility room in this house. I eventually got fed up having to manually defrost it several times a year so we decided to get an upright, self defrosting freezer 2 years ago.
Believe it or not the chest freezer lasted for 43 years and never once broke down, but the outer enamel casing had a lot of rusty patches on it.
Anyway, the 2 delivery men brought the new freezer in and as they were wheeling the 43 year old chest freezer away on their trolley down the path (I already knew that if a household appliance can be fixed they can sell it to be done up and maybe make a bit on the side) I overheard the young lad ask the older bloke 'what are we going to do with this one'? He said what do you think, it's going straight to the bloody dump, I've never seen anything like it.

So if you don't like the thought of manually defrosting, a frost free freezer is a good option.

That's not the issue, it's the mandatory facemasks that the UK government is imposing on us in a few days. I am hoping that I can avoid it using respiratory issues as a medical exemption but there has been no communication that will be an option yet. It is an option on public transport where masks are mandatory but I have not tested that yet. I really don't want to have to wear a mask. I have only done it twice since the lockdown began and it gave me a headache each time within a couple of minutes. Also, I really don't want to submit to their oppression unless I have no choice. Fun times.

Hi Matthew, you may be interested in posts by Jenn and me in another thread where we shared info on mask orders in the UK:

As for the freezer, I slept for a few days in a room with one some time ago and found it really annoying. So unless you have a really tough sleep I'd advise you against it.

Canned food is your best shot as it won't rely on electricity and power shortages to stay fresh. If you really don't want to go into shops how about online shopping? I think all UK supermarkets offer this service.

Hi Matthew, you may be interested in posts by Jenn and me in another thread where we shared info on mask orders in the UK:

As for the freezer, I slept for a few days in a room with one some time ago and found it really annoying. So unless you have a really tough sleep I'd advise you against it.

Canned food is your best shot as it won't rely on electricity and power shortages to stay fresh. If you really don't want to go into shops how about online shopping? I think all UK supermarkets offer this service.

Thank you but despite my fears I have not had any issue with not wearing a mask in shops so far. I haven't even gotten snotty looks off other customers because I am not wearing a mask :-) . Tesco, who were full-on authoritarian at the start of the Lockdown haven't given me any grief either. It's quite a relief!

Thank you but despite my fears I have not had any issue with not wearing a mask in shops so far. I haven't even gotten snotty looks off other customers because I am not wearing a mask :-) . Tesco, who were full-on authoritarian at the start of the Lockdown haven't given me any grief either. It's quite a relief!

Hi Matthew, as I already posted elsewhere as of the 8th of August wearing a mask will become a law. It will therefore be enforceable and can lead to a fine. You mentioned having physical symptoms when wearing a mask, this is a good basis for an exemption. That's how I got my exemption letter from my GP. Something to consider I guess.

Hi Matthew, as I already posted elsewhere as of the 8th of August wearing a mask will become a law. It will therefore be enforceable and can lead to a fine. You mentioned having physical symptoms when wearing a mask, this is a good basis for an exemption. That's how I got my exemption letter from my GP. Something to consider I guess.

Yes, because I have asthma I am exempt. Thank God! I did actually write an e-mail to my GP asking for an exemption letter but just got a charmless letter back from an admin person saying that they didn't do that :rolleyes:. So far so good. If anyone challenges me in a shop I shall just say that I am exempt on medical grounds.

Yes, because I have asthma I am exempt. Thank God! I did actually write an e-mail to my GP asking for an exemption letter but just got a charmless letter back from an admin person saying that they didn't do that :rolleyes:. So far so good. If anyone challenges me in a shop I shall just say that I am exempt on medical grounds.

It's strange that they don't do that. My GP wrote me a letter and the basis for my expedition is much less solid than yours. I guess you can use that email as evidence that you tried to get a letter but your GP just doesn't do them. And encourage whoever tried to enforce the law to contact your GP.

It's strange that they don't do that. My GP wrote me a letter and the basis for my expedition is much less solid than yours. I guess you can use that email as evidence that you tried to get a letter but your GP just doesn't do them. And encourage whoever tried to enforce the law to contact your GP.

I will if it comes to that but no issues for me so far where shops are concerned. I don't shop much anyway, mostly just my local supermarket who have been fine so far. However, one never knows when one might encounter a petty tyrant. If and when I do I shall just have to try and keep my cool and remember what the C's advise about strategic enclosure. After being very anxious about it all before the mandatory masks came in it has been blessedly drama free so far. Long may it continue!

Back
Top Bottom