Would a freezer in my bedroom be okay?

Matthew

Jedi Master
Hello lovely people. Given that masks in shops are now going to be mandatory I am looking into buying a freezer and using online food shopping. I don't have much room in my kitchen so am wondering if having a freezer in my bedroom would be okay. I am wondering if I should be concerned about EM frequencies or something. Any advice would be appreciated.

With love,
Matthew

As well as EMF, I might also consider noise and ventilation. I had thought about putting one in a wardrobe in the office but ended up reading about them overheating because they couldn't maintain a proper temperature in an enclosed space. There are plenty forums talking about that side of things.
On the EMF side, I found this site:
According to the Long Island Power Authority who did a study of EMF radiation from home appliances, the average modern refrigerator exposes the body to about 1.5 mG at 1 foot or less distance, and less than 1 mG at 3 foot or greater distance. When this amount will change dramatically, is with WiFi enabled smart refrigerators like this [snip marketing for amazon] This is essentially like having a large tablet on your refrigerator, and this will produce far more EMF radiation than the refrigerator itself.
Dangers Of Sleeping Near Refrigerator
The vast majority of simple refrigerator units will only emit a small amount of radiation, and it is fairly localized, meaning the farther you are away the less radiation you will be exposed to. Unless the unit is on the opposite side of a wall that you are sleeping against, I would not worry about this very much. There are far better ways to reduce radiation in the bedroom.

However, if you do sleep opposite a refrigerator unit and would like to reduce or eliminate the amount of EMF radiation you are exposed to while you sleep, the best thing you can do is get some EMF radiation shielding paint. Take a look at my full review of Yshield paint for step by step instructions on how to do this.
I hope this helps a little. I ended up not buying a freezer in the end because I figured if the power went out I'd end up with a lot of useless food on my hands so I invested in a canner instead.

Hi Matthew,
the noise of a freezer in the bedroom I'd consider as too annoying plus, as lainey already said, the EMF radiation would be too high as well.
I thought about another freezer for the same reason you do but also came up with the argument that if the power grid fails it just doesn't make sense.
In the end I decided to buy some more shelves, put them up in an empty room (a luxury, I know) and fill them with supplies. It's not working for meat though unless you start drying or smoking.

I would say, if you are not disturbed by the fan and cooling sounds I think it would be fine. But as lainey wrote, in case of a power outage your food will turn bad. Imo buying canned food is the way to go, since doing it yourself - can be fun - but takes a lot of time and can also taste horrible in the end. We canned several glasses, but eating it - even in an emergency - doesn't seem worthwhile. And you cannot be totally sure if it is properly made. Again, these are just my two cents.

By the way, you absolutely don't want to go shopping in a store?

Thank you all for your input. I think I shall see if I can fit one into my kitchen and forgo the bedroom idea. If the power fails then the food will last for awhile if the door is kept shut and I shall get one that won't take too much food anyway. Also, I had better declutter my shed and stock up on tinned meat, veg and bottled water.

By the way, you absolutely don't want to go shopping in a store?

That's not the issue, it's the mandatory facemasks that the UK government is imposing on us in a few days. I am hoping that I can avoid it using respiratory issues as a medical exemption but there has been no communication that will be an option yet. It is an option on public transport where masks are mandatory but I have not tested that yet. I really don't want to have to wear a mask. I have only done it twice since the lockdown began and it gave me a headache each time within a couple of minutes. Also, I really don't want to submit to their oppression unless I have no choice. Fun times.

I don't know if you're the canning type but just in case of a long power outage it's a good idea to be able to can your food so it won't go bad as Gawan said. If you live in the US, Walmart has Keystone brand canned chicken and beef as well as other canned meats (like Spam :-P and corned beef) if you're not into canning your own meat.

FWIW, I agree that masks suck but it may be worth wearing one (under the nose) just for a quick grocery run. It can make one feel like a sell-out, but on the other hand the Creator knows you don't buy into this madness. Call me paranoid, but I'm not too keen on having someone knowing what I buy, how much I buy, and picking out my food for me. Also, if my crystal ball can be trusted, grocery stores may move to strict rationing in the future and you won't have a choice of what you can buy. In other words, do your own shopping while you still can and buy in bulk. They just made masks mandatory for shops where I live. I haven't been wearing masks for shopping at all but I made two quick store runs yesterday, one masked and one not. No one said a thing when I was at the store unmasked.

I understand not wanting to wear a mask, I sure don't enjoy it but sometimes you have to play along. Sticking it to the man feels great, but you gotta eat, so it's wise to choose your battles.

If you are wearing one, hold onto the thought that we know that it's dumb for some distance solidarity. If you have a paper mask you can make a bunch of holes along one of the ridges or hang a thin scarf off your nose so the air circulates underneath.

On a side note, canned food in the UK kinda sucks and most of it has gluten and other gross stuff in it, but I'm sure Waitrose did canned duck legs in the past that were fairly decent, and sometimes bigger Marks and Sparks stores do canned pork. The name escapes me but it was flakes of pork in pork fat which is delicious.

I understand not wanting to wear a mask, I sure don't enjoy it but sometimes you have to play along. Sticking it to the man feels great, but you gotta eat, so it's wise to choose your battles.

If you are wearing one, hold onto the thought that we know that it's dumb for some distance solidarity. If you have a paper mask you can make a bunch of holes along one of the ridges or hang a thin scarf off your nose so the air circulates underneath.

On a side note, canned food in the UK kinda sucks and most of it has gluten and other gross stuff in it, but I'm sure Waitrose did canned duck legs in the past that were fairly decent, and sometimes bigger Marks and Sparks stores do canned pork. The name escapes me but it was flakes of pork in pork fat which is delicious.

I was just thinking this myself; the mask phenomenon is all about virtue/obedience signalling and nobody is talking about or checking for mask integrity.

Presumably, all you'd need is the visual cue for people to notice and then move on. So long as it isn't obvious, you could probably wear a cloth mask made from a low thread count, or something with a design on it to disguise the fact that it's punched full of air holes so you don't asphyxiate yourself while pretending to be a sheep.

Living in the countryside I'm used to go for the groceries only once a week. With the rona BS my weekly deja-vu first became a nightmare after they made masks mandatory in stores.
Now, after some months, I've developed a routine and a different mental approach.
I do some breathing and praying before starting my shopping tour. I wear the mask for the shortest possible time and mostly leave my nose free to breathe. Most people wear their masks with a very laissez faire attitude. But what is really doing the trick for me is seeing it as a rendezvous with petty tyrants so I kinda get into my warrior boots to face them. This approach works for me and I don't feel like an idiot with a muzzle.

That's not my motivation. I just don't want to wear something that I know is pointless that makes me feel bad physically.

<snip>

That's not the issue, it's the mandatory facemasks that the UK government is imposing on us in a few days. I am hoping that I can avoid it using respiratory issues as a medical exemption but there has been no communication that will be an option yet. It is an option on public transport where masks are mandatory but I have not tested that yet. I really don't want to have to wear a mask. I have only done it twice since the lockdown began and it gave me a headache each time within a couple of minutes. Also, I really don't want to submit to their oppression unless I have no choice. Fun times.
I live in Germany, and I can only give you the advice that if you want a medical exemption from a MD, then hurry up! Do it yesterday better than tomorrow, if you understand what I mean. Here in Germany it is already too late. The "Ärztekammer" (Medical Association of Germany) already is threatening withdrawing the aprobation of MDs who give this medical exemption letter (or whatever it is called), so you can imagine it is futile to look for a MD who is doing it. And I do somehow understand them. They, too, have families to feed and care for. And I guess most of them like or love their jobs.

I have one in my shed. Great for buying in bulk. My attempts at self canning have gone ok but not as trustworthy as a company that does this for a living, imo, and I've had some issues both in flavor and safety. That being said, do store any cans in as cool and dry a place as possible or that can be a serious issue for longevity. As for power outages, you could get a small generator to get you through the power outage period, if kept outside. If the grid goes down long term, well there will be much more to worry about, and as you say, it will stay cold for a bit if not opening too much during a power outage. I moved a large chest freezer that was full and everything stayed totally frozen unplugged for about a day. But i mean, honestly without refrigeration and electricity, would we have water? We would have very big problems at that point if in any city. These are not easy times and I'm not sure preparing for everything is entirely relevant. For me, the freezer was a means to get more food, at a better price, and have some food security in case of price changes or shortages. If I lose power, I have more problems than I think I could reasonably prepare for, though I do keep a store of canned goods and water just in case, and I've been thinking about this for well over a decade. But I'm not rich. I dont have a bunker. I have limited storage and limited income. I think a freezer is a reasonable purchase to protect against some adverse situations, even if you have to put it in a bedroom. Just make sure it has room near the vent (a few (4-6?) inches to prevent overheating), isn't too noisy, and try to keep it as many feet from your sleeping body as possible. It's honestly tough for many to do any real comprehensive prep so do what you gotta do and do what you think makes sense for your situation. Best of luck 🙂

Edit:typo

Last edited:
I had one small chest refrigerator and used to store bulk purchased meat. All meat gone bad including refrigerator( started smelling how many times I cleaned) during 1 week power outage due to Hurricane Sandy in 2012. But, the canned food from that time still good and i use it once in a while.

I do go out for shopping with a mask, Mostly I cover nose and mouth while entering the shop, nearer to people and leaving (if it is mandatory). Otherwise, I simply cover mouth. Whether we call it obedience or external consideration, atleast it solves the problem. I am not happy with it, but it is what it is in the current world.

I was fortunate a couple of years ago buying a lot of tinned Duck that I still have. I have actually seen the same on the shelf of a convenience store near where I live too. Today I was very pleased I bought some tins of Steak and Ale pie from Poundland. I thought they were surprisingly tasty so will buy some more next time I go there. You do need a heavy duty can opener for them though. Until I bought a new one, I had no idea how to hopen them :)s-l500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom