wordpress or blogspot?

Bernhard

Jedi Master
I'm wanting to start my own blog site but can't decide which service to go for. I know blogspot and wordpress are the most popular and I see that members on here use one of the two.

Ay insight and experiences about blog hosting would be helpful and is appreciated. Thank you!

wordpress is a bit more complicated than blogspot, but does some more stuff... if you have your own site (server, URL) i would suggest going with the MODx content management system. makes blogging really fun to set up, but you need some prior knowledge of PHP and such to get it running properly...

for the first time user who's just looking to get something going, i would suggest blogspot.

If you use Blogspot, I'm pretty sure you need a gMail account, as Google bought Blogspot a while back. So if you wanted to avoid evil Google, go with Wordpress.

Pinkerton said:
If you use Blogspot, I'm pretty sure you need a gMail account, as Google bought Blogspot a while back. So if you wanted to avoid evil Google, go with Wordpress.

I use Blogspot for my business blog and do not have gmail. It is not required. I tried using the WordPress software for this blog (hosted by OpenSourceHost). I got hacked and did not know enough to deal with that issue, and so returned to BlogSpot. For the non-techies (like me), Blogspot is easy to use and to maintain.

I use WordPress for my personal blog, hosted at WordPress.com. It is not that difficult to use and does have some nicer templates to choose from, but if hosted with WordPress.com, there are restrictions on use of javascript (for things like ads and some other widgets).

Yeah, maybe the reason you need a gMail account is to comment on blogspot posts. Sorry for the incorrect info.

Pinkerton said:
Yeah, maybe the reason you need a gMail account is to comment on blogspot posts. Sorry for the incorrect info.

I have commented on lots of Blogspot posts (other than mine) with no problems.

I think you can get a gmail account if you want (and have a cell phone, unless they changed this requirement), but I don't think you must have one. Some people do set their blog preferences to limit commenters to blogspot members only, but that is on a case by case basis.

hi guys
I use blogspot and comment without gmail. it doesn't matter which email you use just as long as you have an email for signing in with.

Back
Top Bottom