Wonder about poetry...

Poetry can be a way to manifest an emotion, like love, where words constructed within embody that emotion, thus transmitting it to the reader.
Hi Redrock12, thank you for your reply ! I don't exactly agree with you, I think emotion is not the core of the poetic transmission, but more like a subsequent force that helps a whole vision - which is the true core of it - to be transmitted to the reader, if he's prone to receive it.

Hi Redrock12, thank you for your reply ! I don't exactly agree with you, I think emotion is not the core of the poetic transmission, but more like a subsequent force that helps a whole vision - which is the true core of it - to be transmitted to the reader, if he's prone to receive it.
But emotion can inspire. Imo, I don't consider myself a poet by any means, yet I was inspired by a number of postings to me from someone who was helping me through a fairly traumatic relationship issue. Unbeknowst to her, I think, she expressed her own loneliness and lack of a loving relationship, and my heart went out to her. It was a very deep and intense sense of caring, which inspired the poem. It was not carefully thought out but rather just seemed to be a matter of putting pen to paper, again generated out of a deep emotional sense of caring.

I wrote a bunch of poems 10-12 years ago. Now, reading them a decade later, I see that some of them are no longer complete and could be continued further, to reflect the current state of mind.

Here is one:

The Holy Grail and Covid-19
June 2009 – January 2021

The quest for the Holy Grail is over
I reveal to the entire human race
It is not something you put on a table
Not a cup, a chalice and not a vase

Divine providence that we call evolution
Was able to come with a final solution
It created a vessel, we all can agree
Has served its purpose to a perfect degree

It is a beautiful human body
That contains the Divine Spirit within
We call it the soul, the magical element
A God-like creature in animal skin

I am so excited that body of mine
Is not better monkey, but of God’s design
I’m not just a piece of some cheap meat
I am a Homo sapiens, God Damn it!

Hold on, my Child, you have been played
I’m sorry to rain, on your parade
You have been dreaming all along
I’m sorry to say, you got it wrong

Perfect and beautiful your body is?
It’s native destroyer - autoimmune disease
Not yours anymore. Go ask medicine.
It knows better, when you need a vaccine

The holy and sacred? With you I rejoice!
The body’s sex is now by choice.
Pederastic perverts you have become
Monkeys are better, they are not so dumb

It’s all a game and you are it
To prove it to you, I invented Covid
You are just a piece of some cheap meat
Homo Vitiosus, God Damn it!

But emotion can inspire. Imo, I don't consider myself a poet by any means, yet I was inspired by a number of postings to me from someone who was helping me through a fairly traumatic relationship issue. Unbeknowst to her, I think, she expressed her own loneliness and lack of a loving relationship, and my heart went out to her. It was a very deep and intense sense of caring, which inspired the poem. It was not carefully thought out but rather just seemed to be a matter of putting pen to paper, again generated out of a deep emotional sense of caring.
I understand what you mean. It's like, for me there are situations I can't help but write about, because they're truly significant. I think the one you depict here would be one of them. But still, I wouldn't place emotion at the center, maybe because it's not how I'm wired, but for me emotion doesn't exist in itself, it is always the result of a situation, and isolating it makes me uncomfortable because I see it as the seed of sentimentalism and all its bad fruits : miserabilism, euphorism (depends on what you're prone to), all in all some kind of lack of realism. But deep down, I agree with you.

Hi Camille, I don't write poetry, but I hade/have a similar concern regarding dance.
I loved to dance, in order to put my trapped energies in motion and to have access to my repressed emotions, to stop my inner dialogue and connect to another part of myself, to connect to another person in a way other than through words. For me it was a really effective way for that. It led me to explore territories that I couldn't explore otherwise, take a step back from certain situations and broaden my perspective, to open up to people (I was very shy and closed); but at a certain point it wasn't enough for me anymore. I wanted to create dances. But how could I do it? I didn't just want to create nice empty forms, to tell stories, to mime or at best express personal emotions. That's when I came across Gurdjieff's writings on art. Like you, I felt he was right, but somehow it blocked my impetus... I found it 'cold'. Where was personal creativity?
I had tried to solve, at least conceptually, the dilemma by telling myself that the true artist captures essential, abstract truths, the names of gods, and makes them manifest, in a creative way, through symbols, poems, music, dances...
Recently, after reading what Laura and the C's said about dance, I got back to the subject (I have also begun to read what Jeanne de Salzmann says about dance) and I will share my findings with you.
But you can also try to just write and let it flow, as Hello H2O said, and see where it takes you :rolleyes:
Hi @Persephone ! Right now, I have more dissolved the problem than solved it. Something (an encounter with someone who also writes) happened that just increased my faith in myself in matter of writing, I guess. It occurs to me that it is very difficult to make a reasonable link between the concern upon which I created this thread, and the state of mind I'm in today. It's not like a point from which I reached another point on a linear basis, but more like a bigger circle, concentric to the one I was before, with no material trace of a passage from one to the other except the fact (which is not really a trace) that they have the same center. I don't know if I am clear. All this to ask you how your own questioning about dance evolved, if it did and if you feel like sharing.

"I did not know about "the sacred act of deep remembering and collective memory-making" or "the Art of Memory", if they are from specific traditions, could you tell me which ones ? I'd like to learn about it."

Hi Camille. I have only just come across this thread as I am currently researching Sir Francis Bacon (his name was quoted on the thread in the search function) who was a major figure in 17th Century Britain, who perhaps had a greater impact on the modern world than most people realise. I am presently working on a new thread to demonstrate this fact.

I am atatching an extract from Wikipedia that may help to answer the question you raised above. As you will see, it is an ancient art form. The Druids and later the bards were great practitioners of the art. However, Giordano Bruno was certainly a well known medieval practitioner of the art. Indeed, it may have even contributed to his being burnt at the stake, as I remember reading that he was betrayed to Rome by the Venetians, as he had refused to give his secret memory method away to them. You will also see that Sir Francis Bacon was a practitioner too.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom