Why? The Purpose of the Universe by Philip Goff

I think there's a fair amount of all-or-nothing thinking here. The government distorts economic calculation and results in different people being downwardly or upwardly adjusted in their wealth. There's something quite twisted about using the fact that a downwardly adjusted person receives some minor remuneration to argue that's a just state of affairs. Even human traffickers feed and put a roof over the heads of their human livestock; that takes time and energy. So an enslaved person receives the labor and energy of others and, by Goff's logic, has no moral protest when their own labors and energies are used elsewhere against their consent. Goff is charitable enough to say there may be a pragmatic, economic reason for protest though.

I liked @Ryan's criticisms about how there's a schizoidal, systematizing streak to the writing which for example somehow transforms my giving him eggs in exchange for some of his bacon as a "tainted" act. From whose mouths are we, greedy Kulaks, stealing food?

Jesus said "those who go lead into captivity go into captivity"; according to Goff it seems those who get led into captivity also lead others into captivity. :rolleyes: I can think of a few family systems structured after this principle, and none you would want to be raised in.

Back
Top Bottom