Who was Maui

Who or what was the Austronesian demi-god Maui? What do the legends attempt to convey?

Ki KaWaiAwaAwa, since this is your first post on the forum, please introduce yourself in the Newbies section. This is what all new members are asked to do so we know who you are, how you have found us and which aspects of Laura's work you are familiar with. You can read other members' introduction for ideas if you're not sure what to say :-)

As for your question, you wrote a one-liner that doesn't help us understand anything abut the topic. Can you explain who exactly Maui is in the Austronesian beliefs, what attracted your interest to this deity and what information you have already found yourself about the topic? As you may know, this is a research forum and we always aim to investigate each topic ourselves first.

You are correct. I did not introduce myself. I will in a moment, working on the concrete foundation of a retaining wall right now.

I have been following the Cassiopaea Experiment pretty much since it began (or when it was available online in the 90's).

But that is not a proper introduction.

Hold on . . .

You are correct. I did not introduce myself. I will in a moment, working on the concrete foundation of a retaining wall right now.

I have been following the Cassiopaea Experiment pretty much since it began (or when it was available online in the 90's).

But that is not a proper introduction.

Hold on . . .
I mean a literal concrete foundation btw.

I can easily expand on the Maui question. Just let me know.
Hi KaWaiAwaAwa, consider it asked :)
Can you explain who exactly Maui is in the Austronesian beliefs, what attracted your interest to this deity and what information you have already found yourself about the topic? As you may know, this is a research forum and we always aim to investigate each topic ourselves first.

One place where such topics are discussed in an (admittedly broad) fashion is the book History of World Mythology by E.J. Michael Witzel. If you are familiar enough with the myths of Maui it will probably be easy for you to find his place in what the book calls the Laurasian mythical genealogy. This (and other) books on human prehistory are discussed in this thread.

Hi KaWaiAwaAwa, consider it asked :)

One place where such topics are discussed in an (admittedly broad) fashion is the book History of World Mythology by E.J. Michael Witzel. If you are familiar enough with the myths of Maui it will probably be easy for you to find his place in what the book calls the Laurasian mythical genealogy. This (and other) books on human prehistory are discussed in this thread.
Thanks. I'll take a look. That's one source I haven't looked at.

As a hawaiian, I have always been aware of the mythological prowess of Maui. I usually just didn't care.

However, in recent times, I have become the science advisor for a non-profit who looks into these things, and so I was wondering about alot of it.

I will post more later, but in short, Maui appears to reference a force or natural power which gives rise to his escapades (which eclipse those of Hercules and other Greek Heros).

It is so prevalent in the Pacific including Indonesian and Australian areas that it is curious that there is no mention of this entity outside of these areas.

However, in recent times, I have become the science advisor for a non-profit who looks into these things, and so I was wondering about alot of it.

I will post more later, but in short, Maui appears to reference a force or natural power which gives rise to his escapades (which eclipse those of Hercules and other Greek Heroes).

Hi KaWaiAwaAwa,

Probably like many non-islanders, with kids anyway, I'm embarrassed to say that the first thing that came to mind on reading your question was the image below :-)

1609137002763.png

However from a more 'scientific' standpoint and your mention of heroes, personally found much food for thought in this book (recommended somewhere here on the forum);

Also articles such as this;

And despite having spent time on Oahu, unfortunately most nights were in Honolulu such that I don't remember many stars being visible... therefore being Australian my primary exposure to Polynesian mythology is limited to the Māori - although similiar celestial provenance does seem feasible?

The Milky Way was known as the “Long Fish” (Ika-roa) or the “Long Shark” (Mangoroa), or “The Fish of Maui(Te Ika a Maui).

Interesting also, to me anyway, linguistic similarities relative to such dominant asterisms such as the Pleiades, Matariki strikingly reminiscent of the Hindu Matrikas for example, also that Maui's wife/consort is named as Rohe / Hina, uncannily similiar to Rohini - coincidentally the 'wife' of a Hindu 'god' or alternatively;

Rohiṇī (रोहिणी, ‘ruddy’) is the name of the conspicuously reddish star, α Tauri or Aldebaran, and denotes the group of the Hyades, α θ γ δ ε Tauri. Its identification seems absolutely assured by the legend of Prajāpati in the Aitareya-brāhmaṇa. He is there represented as pursuing his daughter with incestuous intention... Prajāpati is clearly Orion.

And so on, where perhaps as 'Heroes' go, 'Hercules';

1609142115670.png

'Ulysses';

1609142180645.png

Or 'Siva', with his 'gift' of fire;

1609142925741.png

And relationship to the sacred Banyan;

“Grant, oh grant me thy hidden fire,
O Banyan Tree.
Perform an incantation,
Utter a prayer
To the Banyan Tree.
Kindle a fire in the dust
Of the Banyan Tree.”

-Translation of ancient Polynesian chant.

Could provide a direction;

Mahuika had lost much of her power, but still she was not giving up. She took her very last toenail and threw it at Māui in anger. The toenail of fire missed Māui and flew into the trees, planting itself in the Mahoe tree, the Tōtara, the Patete, the Pukatea, and the Kaikōmako trees. These trees cherished and held onto the fire of Mahuika, considering it a great gift.

A 'toe' of fire plausibly red?

…among the dynastic Egyptians Orion was known as Sah, the "toe-star," and later Sahu, the "toe stars." It was an appellation reflecting the fact that one of its stars, Rigel (Beta Orionis), sticks out in front of the other stars, as if it is leading Orion across the southern sky…

Whereby, personally, Maui's great 'Hook' would then become a dominant marker such that the 'Cook' Island tradition would also be a 'fit' to my pattern seeking mind;

The Hervey Islands say that after Maui fished up the islands his hook was thrown into the heavens and became the curved tail of the constellation of stars which we know as "The Scorpion."

The celestial orientation linking 'Maui', once more, to 'Sah';

1609145266792.png

Or 'Horus';

1609145431638.png

Perhaps also giving context to the detail of Maui smearing 'blood' upon his hook (Antares), 'raising' the sky, the whole Earth being his fishing 'line', etc?

Anyway, that'd be my guess as a layman Pākehā?

Looking forward keenly to your contribution 👍

Hi KaWaiAwaAwa,

Probably like many non-islanders, with kids anyway, I'm embarrassed to say that the first thing that came to mind on reading your question was the image below :-)

View attachment 41125

However from a more 'scientific' standpoint and your mention of heroes, personally found much food for thought in this book (recommended somewhere here on the forum);

And despite having spent time on Oahu, unfortunately most nights were in Honolulu such that I don't remember many stars being visible... therefore being Australian my primary exposure to Polynesian mythology is limited to the Māori - although similiar celestial provenance does seem feasible?

Interesting also, to me anyway, linguistic similarities relative to such dominant asterisms such as the Pleiades, Matariki strikingly reminiscent of the Hindu Matrikas for example, also that Maui's wife/consort is named as Rohe / Hina, uncannily similiar to Rohini - coincidentally the 'wife' of a Hindu 'god' or alternatively;

View attachment 41128

'Ulysses';

View attachment 41129

View attachment 41131

Whereby, personally, Maui's great 'Hook' would then become a dominant marker such that the 'Cook' Island tradition would also be a 'fit' to my pattern seeking mind;

View attachment 41132

Or 'Horus';

View attachment 41133

Perhaps also giving context to the detail of Maui smearing 'blood' upon his hook (Antares), 'raising' the sky, the whole Earth being his fishing 'line', etc?

Well that's not a Layman's take!

Thank you.

I will get to this soon, but you have put up a good deal of information that I would have covered.

Thank you again.

Hi KaWaiAwaAwa,

View attachment 41125

View attachment 41128

'Ulysses';

View attachment 41129

View attachment 41131

View attachment 41132

Or 'Horus';

View attachment 41133

OK, very well done.

Much of this I will talk about when I get to it. But thank you for the posting.

Aloha no.

So, FYI,

With regard to the Disney movie. One of my daughters was a consultant from Hawaii. Not about the way Maui looked or anything about Maui, but about how Hawaiians navigated the open seas.

1609210789974.png

So one of the more well known legends is the capture of the sun. This is a Herb Kane painting. (Look him up if you haven't seen his work.)

Across Polynesia, the details vary, but the story is essentially the same.

Maui's mother (Hina - who is a symbol of the moon and all things female) has not time to dry the kapa. Kapa is the barkcloth that clothing was made out of. There is a good deal of symbolism there also as the female is the one who clothed humans literally.

Hina is also a reference to the moon.

Maui listens to his mother's complaint and devises a plan to slow the sun's movement (or make it take more time to cross the sky).

Lots of people have seen this as a reference to the winter solstice when days are short. Some of the specifics are tied to local geography in an amazing way (depending on where you live).

Some of the legends have Maui using his famous hook (manaiakalani) to snare the sun. Interestingly, the constellation (scorpio) rises on the solstice with the sun sitting on its barbed point.

In the end, Maui is able to force the sun to agree to move across the sky slower (which it does after the solstice).

This is one of many stories where Maui (known as a trickster) performs a feat that helps mankind in general (apparently).

In this one, it is a force or power that stands between the interests of his "mother" who is also the moon and the sun (which is his father in some cultures.

Back
Top Bottom