White Oleander - A portrait of a narcissist

Mrs.Tigersoap

The Living Force
A few days ago, we watched White Oleander by Peter Kosminsky with Michelle Pfeiffer, Alison Lohman, Robin Wright Penn and Renée Zellweger. We really liked it because it provided a fair portrait of a narcissist, in my opinion. I say 'in my opinion' because, apparently, neither Wiki nor IMDB seem to agree with me that Michelle Pfeiffer, Ingrid Magnussen in the movie, is a narcissist:

Astrid Magnussen is a 15 year old girl, living in California. Her mother, Ingrid, is a beautiful, free-spirited poet. (IMDB)

Ingrid Magnussen is a free-spirited mother to fifteen-year old Astrid. (Wikipedia)

Well, we know Hollywood loves a good sociopath/narcissist when it sees one, so no surprise there.

BEWARE - SPOILERS!

Ingrid Magnussen is an artist. She lives for herself and her art. She has a daughter, Astrid, with whom she lives. Astrid is completely dependent on her mother, who really has a hold on her. Ingrid falls in love with Barry who ends up breaking her heart. She murders him with white oleander and is sent to prison.
Astrid begins a journey from foster home to foster home, all the while keeping in touch with her mother in prison. Little by little she understands the hold her mother has on her, even from behind bars. But her mother won't let go of her that easily. When her mother needs Astrid to testify, the power shifts and it is a chance for Astrid to learn more about her past. This will enable her to reclaim her freedom.

For those interested in narcissism, Ingrid Magnussen is a nice example of how a narcissist works, and also how others react to her aura. Even in prison, she continues to intrigue the people around her (I would not say she intrigues the audience, though, because, having a clearer view of her doings, one cannot help but being appalled by her lack of love for anyone but herself) and can manipulate whomever she wants (even people outside the prison). At some point, you even wonder if she is no sociopath.

I must say that I tend to disagree with the conclusion of the main character, the daughter, Astrid, at the end of the movie, when she says that since her mother finally did not ask for her to lie on her behalf in front of the court, she 'finally let her go'. I was wondering if it's was not another feats of strength from the mother who like to make a point during the whole movie about how self-sufficient and strong she is.

Anyway, this is a good movie, with nice photography and great actors. So, if you're interested in the subject, don't hesitate!

Back
Top Bottom