When death comes...

R

Realmhiker

I received a phone call this morning frmo my voice teacher. It was to tell me that last night a plane crash too place. The crew were all students from my university, my school of music. All six died. Three I knew personally and one was one of my best friends. His name was Robert and he was an exceptional baritone, composer, genious or borderline genious. My first instinct was s misbelieve, then sadness, then violent sorrow: meaning, I had to go throw up. I feel numb right now, and only finding consolation in the memories I have of my friend, for he was one of the few happy people I ever knew. I have NOT one bad memory of him, or nothing bad to say about him. He was a gentleman, and as opera goes, not one inch of diva attitude. He was a very very generous, giving, and fun to be around person. You never heard him say anything bad about anyone. This knowledge of him, it's what makes it somewhat easier for me to accept his departure. I know we shuold not be attached to this earth, or earthly existance, but it is hard when the people dying so suddenly are young, full of promise, and are in a way, a light to this otherwise dark world. They are the hope of the world. I guess it was his time. It has given a new sense of direction of my time here. I guess, the lesson is, make each moment worthy of it being lived. Sounds cheesy, but that is how it feels. Carpe diem...

Realmhiker,
I'm so sorry. Please take care of yourself while you take the time to grieve the loss of your friends; I wish there was something to say that would make things different, but there is no such thing.

Dear Realmhiker,

It is not easy to face death in someone you care for. This is when words are insufficient in translating your feelings.
I cannot know exactly how you may feel right now but I can only tell of my feelings when I lost a loved one. I realized that life had an end, that everything was transitory. A lot of things became trifle matters and my perception of life changed profoundly.
Life and death are just too close to each other, but we tend to forget it. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you all for your sympathy. Yes, it is hard to describe something like this. I have heard many times of entire athlete teams dying in a bus crash, or planes, or even bombings etc... but one never realizes the full impact of a fast and violent death. Again, my point above was the promise of hope and light these people who died carried with themselves. Their talent made many people feel elevated when there was nothing else to make this possible. I might be exagerating the role of music in the world, but I do belive good music transports you, and elevates you. My friend Robert was a singer, conductor, composer, and had such sense of humor. He was also a radio broadcaster... what couldn't he do. I am sure I will eventually come out of the numbness. I want to right now, celebrate life, the one we have, good or bad, we are able to think, to do what we care for, to dream, create, and time is such an illusion. Life here is such a blink. I just hope when they died they didn't suffer. I hope it was quick, sudden and no time for agonizing. That is all I hope.

Back
Top Bottom