What's Your Name's Meaning??? Etymology and history of Names

Cornelia f German, Romanian, Italian, Dutch, English, Ancient Roman
Feminine form of Cornelius. In the 2nd century BC it was borne by Cornelia Scipionis Africana (the daughter of the military hero Scipio Africanus), the mother of the two reformers known as the Gracchi. After her death she was regarded as an example of the ideal Roman woman. The name was revived in the 18th century.

derives from the Latin element cornu meaning "horn". a roman brass instrument

and there is Caesar first wife
Cornelia Cinna minor_94 BC-69 or 68 BC

Cornelia Cinnilla (c. 97 BC – 69 BC[1]), daughter of Lucius Cornelius Cinna (one of the great leaders of the Marian party), and a sister to suffect consul Lucius Cornelius Cinna, was married to Gaius Julius Caesar, who would become one of Rome's dictators. Cinna's political party was called the Populares, and his union with Cornelia identified Caesar with this faction.[2]
Caesar and Cornelia married in 84 BC.[3]
When Lucius Cornelius Sulla commanded Caesar to divorce Cornelia, the young husband refused to do so and chose rather to be deprived of her fortune and to be proscribed himself. Cornelia bore him his daughter Julia Caesaris, in c. 76 BC.[4]
Cornelia was the matron of Caesar's household in their home at the Subura in Rome for sixteen years. She died in 69 BC, during Caesar's quaestorship, and left him a daughter. Caesar delivered an oration in praise of her from the Rostra.[5]

Talas from Taliesin

In Welsh mythology, Taliesin is the son of Cerridwen, and god of the bards. The tale of his birth is an interesting one - Cerridwen brews up a potion in her magical cauldron to give to her son Afagddu (Morfran), and puts the young servant Gwion in charge of guarding the cauldron. Three drops of the brew fall upon his finger, blessing him with the knowledge held within. Cerridwen pursues Gwion through a cycle of seasons until, in the form of a hen, she swallows Gwion, disguised as an ear of corn.

Nine months later, she gives birth to Taliesin, the greatest of all the Welsh poets. Cerridwen contemplates killing the infant but changes her mind; instead she throws him into the sea, where he is rescued by a Celtic prince, Elffin (alternately Elphin).

One of the things that makes Taliesin different from many other figures in Celtic myth is that evidence shows that he really did exist, or at least that a bard named Taliesin existed around the sixth century. His writings still survive, and he is known as Taliesin, Chief of Bards, in many Welsh writings.

Wilhelm is a male name of German origin. It means determined protector. It has a feminine variant which is Guillermina. This name spread in the year 1066 after the Norman conquest, remaining in force since the Middle Ages, Modern and the present.

The name Guillermo has its Germanic origin its name means

Whom his will protects.
Protected by God.
Man guarded by his will.

My name is Joan, in the Irish language is Siobhán.. which to my mind, is more acceptable, it sits with me as a personal feeling. My ancestry is Irish, the Irish translation, of my name, feels right for me. The English translation alas, is the anglicized name that has been given to me, it has always seemed strange to me, and not really my name.

It would be interesting to go back in time and ask our parents, why they have given us the names we live with.

This may be one of the most intriguing subjects I’ve stumbled upon yet. This has actually answered MANY of the questions I have been pondering for the last 12+ years of my life!!!

Now, as I’m rereading book 8 of The Wave series, I came across ‘Chapter 67: Food For The Moon And The Burning House’. On pages 132 and 133, there are actually portions from various sessions with the C’s that discuss the meaning of my last name that I had never known before.

My name is Chase Kelley. I am predominantly of Irish descent. And my name is more fitting than I could have ever imagined.

Etymologically speaking, the name Chase is pretty self explanatory. It simply means “to hunt/pursue.”

It’s my last name that throttled me.

Originally, I just thought that my last name meant “War/Warrior”. Which to me is still pretty accurate in accordance to the life I was given, but reading from the following session from April 4, 1998, there was more to my last name than I originally thought:

Q: Okay. Tracking the Triple Goddess back to the oldest references, we get to KaliMa. There are all kinds of derivations of this name, but the thing that strikes me is the relationship to the goddess Kell, or Kella, as well as to the word kell, Celts, and how this might be transformed into the word 'Cassiopaea.' Can you comment on this?

A: Do not the Celts like "kelly" green?!?

Q: Yes. So. What does 'green' have to do with it?

A: Keep searching... learning is accomplished thusly, and learning is fun!

Well, if Laura didn’t just keep on paving the way for me to understand further… This is from session January 2, 1999:

Q: So, we are back to something else. I once asked about the Third Man Theme and that perhaps you meant that the imagery was that of the Triple Goddess relating to the Isle of Man … and you said ‘if viewed through sheets of rain.’ So, in this book that I am reading, it talks about the fact that the Celts of Gaul worshipped the Rain as the manifestation of the Goddess, and the Celts of Scotland worshipped the Sun … the male God. Does this relate in any way to this remark you made about sheets of rain?

A: In an offhand way.

Q: Anything further you can tell me in terms of a clue about ‘sheets of rain?’

A: Not for now, when you get there, you will find the chalice.

Q: Where and WHAT chalice?

A: Wait and see!

And then one last time from the session on October 3, 1998:

Q: (L) What were the names of the children of Jesus?
A: You have the clues, and your quest has been admirable so far, why stop now?
Q: (L) So, I will find them! Okay.
A: Could be like the Holy Grail.
Q: (L) What could be like the Holy Grail?
A: Chalice.
Q: (L) What does the chalice represent?
A: What is its root?

And as Laura pointed out, the root for the word chalice is the Latin word, calix or calyx, which derives from the PIE root word kel.

calyx (n.)

"outer part of the perianth of a flower," 1680s, from Latin calyx, from Greek kalyx"seed pod, husk, outer covering" (of a fruit, flower bud, etc.), from stem of kalyptein "to cover, conceal," from PIE root *kel- (1) "to cover, conceal, save." The Latin plural is calyces. Some sources connect the word rather with Greek kylix "drinking cup" (see chalice).

So from my understanding, I was destined from birth via my very name to be “on the hunt” or “pursing” the Holy Grail!!!! Which explains why I’ve literally dedicated every aspect of my life to this. The Way of the Fool seems to be my birth rite. 😅 But seriously, this brings so much clarity to me of my character, why I am the way that I am, and why I do and think in the ways that I do. I’m still fairly young in my quest, but it’s self discoveries such as these that leave us in awe of the way things work here in the Cosmos. It’s exciting for me, honestly!

I encourage everyone to do a little research into the meanings of their names. You never know what you might discover about yourself! 😎

My names are very typical of malagasy names, that can be decomposed into common nouns/words. :-D

family name : rasoamanana
ra = "that which" or "this one", it also is the name for "blood"
soa = "richness, good fortune, good health"
manana = verb for "to own", "to possess", "to have"
ra soa manana : "blood that have good fortune, health" or "that which have good fortune, health", "this one has good fortune, health"

my 2 firsts names :
first one, herimiaina can be decomposed into :
hery = "strength", "will"
miaina = "breathing", "living", "nourrished", "fulfilled"

second one, haja is very common malagasy name and also a common noun that means "respect", "reverence"

:umm::umm::umm: It was missing to say "RAMBO". I don't usually take this seriously although some astrological charts have hit on something, but I'm joining in the fun.

MEANING OF LUIS:

His Desire is 7

Male name of Germanic origin "hluot" and "weg/wig", meaning:
- "glory" and "glorious combat".
- The glorious warrior, glorious combat or preclear warrior.
- "He who is an illustrious warrior" or "He who is famous in war."
- Great warrior who never surrenders.
- Defender of the people.

It is a widespread name in France, which was borne by eighteen of its kings, among them Louis IX also known as Saint Louis, for which the French like to call themselves Sons of Saint Louis.

Lucky Number: 3

MEANING OF MIGUEL

Male name of Hebrew origin. From Hebrew God is just. Name of an archangel. Male name of Hebrew origin, formed by "mi" (who), "Ka" (As) and the divine element "El" (God), its meaning is "He who is Who and like God"; in ancient Hebrew it really means: "Who is like Him" referring to God.

Lucky Number: 8

Benjamin: from the Hebrew- "Son of my right hand", "Son of the right side".

Just want to update this meaning a little bit.

'Benjamin' is derived from the northern Semitic 'Binu Yamina' which means 'son/s of the south'.

Nuska/u is a Mesopotamian god which means 'lord of the sceptre' and has a second meaning of 'lord of the south'. Nuska (sceptre) and the older Gibil (torch) are the same god and are represented as the constellation Canis Minor. A sceptre is carried in the right hand (the 'orb' in the left). On a Persian cylinder seal, the rooster stood, replacing the fire, on top of a lampstand which represented Nuska.

In China, there is the 'Vermilion Bird of the South' which is one of the Four Auspicious Beasts in Chinese astronomy. Canis Minor is one of a group of constellations along the ecliptic which are housed within the symbol of the Vermilion Bird.

1668376721631.png

'Benjamin' appears to mean, or partially mean, Canis Minor (!). 'Son/s' might be referring to a cometary breakup. Not sure about that though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom