What's the weather where you are?

Stockholm, Sweden
25 July 2022

This morning

while still at work at the subway turning around the train on a high bridge - I made two images at sunrise - because the light was magical during a very brief time (10 min), as the sun stood between horizon and the lower cloud base.

2022-07-25-04-35-42.jpg

2022-07-25-04-36-37.jpg

Those temperature corrections

After the unusual hot peak in temperatures - which SMHI unfortunately corrected upwards a third time for Stockholm City - so the officials numbers changed from 33.5°C to 34.0° to 34.8°C (94.96°F) for 22 July 2022. I personally feel a bit weary about these, in my opinion too large jumps in corrections, because compared to the "by-the-hour" temperature charts they publish, these corrections seem a bit "outside the range of what would be reasonable when you draw lines between dots". I leave the "why"-question open unanswered for the time being, because I honestly do not know what's up with that.

Transition

On the following two days, the weather transitioned from extreme hot to normal in the city - without any rain at all (quite remarkable) . As of lately however, some raindrops have emerged together with a lot more clouds (but no thunderstorms). The inland on the other hand, got both rain and thunderstorms, in a few places up to 76 mm. The illustration below gives a better picture (example 22 July 2022)

rrdk220722-1.jpg

Mild nights

being above average, but during the day it is often cloudy and a bit "chilly". From the daily average temperature deviation chart you can see, that despite the brief heat, the overall temperatures for the past 12 days, have not been excessive at all - on the contrary, with a tendency towards slightly below normal temperatures.

_-2022-07-25-at-21.12.23.jpg

Yeah, speaking of "fall"
28 July 2022

I noticed that the temperatures went down to sensitive levels in parts of Middle Sweden just now (albeit a mountainous region, in which the station is located 540 meter above sea level, in a place called "Dravagen", registering a temperature of -0.5°C (31.1°F) in Sweden around 03:00

Also the airport of Stockholm Arlanda, got chilly at times, down to 7.5°C briefly before midnight. I checked it, because i went there in order to meet my husband, who had just arrived from (a hot) Sicily. It didn't really feel that "cold", i confess, despite the low temperature (well, I had a thick leather jacket on, therefore it didn't feel that cold)

I have to add: that frost temperatures during July are not totally uncommon at exposed locations in Sweden.

The past days have been chilly in Stockholm

Despite a MAX temperature around 18-19°C, but during most of the daytime hours, around 15°C (59°F) only. So, that felt cold as I went out with the dog, with just a shirt on.

_-2022-07-28-at-04.31.40.jpg

Well, after about two weeks of the 'heat wave' i.e. pretty normal summer temperatures, i.e. HOT, it got cool in SW France two days ago. Down to 14 C at night and not too hot in the day either. Really just beautiful weather. But also, more fall-like than summer-like.

Spanish singer Joaquin Sabina in a song says:

"Who stole the month of April from me.
I kept it in the drawer
Where I keep my heart".

The current weather in my locality resembles November more than July which has made me think that we have been robbed of summer. The Toluca Valley, in central Mexico, days have been cloudy with heavy rain at night. Most of the day is mild, but the afternoon and evening are cool, when commonly in this summer season it was very hot.

Mexico City (60km from where I live) has registered heavy rains and hail. They report that some streets have turned into streams.

Noctilucent Clouds over Stockholm
29 July 2022

Not as super bright like the ones observed on 19 July 2022, but nevertheless an interesting display to follow its constantly changing shapes and waves. Along the night, they appeared brighter later on (perhaps because the sky got a notch darker?), while in the beginning they were more "gentle feathery" in appearance.

I put the images in a timeline accordingly, starting at 00:08 until they faded around 03:04.

The night feels chilly

around 9-10°C at my balcony, while in nearby Stockholm-Tullinge in the south, only 6.4°C (42.8°F) [@ 03:00] are reported right now - while the region north of the city, down to 5°C. The City core it is mild-ish, with 12.5°C. (The normal MIN Ø this time of the year, lies around 14.5°C in average). In some spots in Southern Norrland, down to 0°C (32°F). During the day, I remember that the Cu clouds look unusual flat (they were not Sc/Stratocumulus clouds), resembling a chilly day in the end of September.

Warmer sea water than air temperatures

Another interesting phenomena is, that the water temperatures in the Baltic sea are quite a bit higher compared to the air temperatures in and around the Stockholm region: The Baltic sea measures around 16 to 19°C in this moment.

2022-07-29-00-08-05.jpg

2022-07-29-00-39-49.jpg

2022-07-29-01-27-31.jpg

2022-07-29-02-20-15pano.jpg

2022-07-29-03-04-02.jpg
Nerd info: All images were taken by free hand, with Canon EOS R6 as well Olympus OM-1, with exposure times between 0.8" seconds and ¼ seconds, at lower ISO around 100 to 400. The lenses used, were Olympus (effective focal length of) 150 mm ƒ 1.8 as well the Canon RF 50 mm f 1.2 L, Canon EF 135 mm ƒ 2 L and Canon RF 85 mm ƒ 2 IS.
One photo was stitched together from 2 photos.

I forgot to add an illustration

making it a bit easier visible where the cold spots are located in Sweden, in this moment. They do not represent minimum temperatures, just a snapshot of temperatures at 03:57 (29 July 2022)

+ edited / added - a half hour later at 04.28.
Looks almost like end of August, beginning of September...

_-2022-07-29-at-04.22.55.jpg _-2022-07-29-at-04.31.02.jpg

Last edited:
Where I am (W Melbourne, FL) it is still around 30 degrees Celsius and at night it gets down to around 24 C.
What I have noticed these last few days is that at sunset, which usually had reddish orange hues, yesterday the sun looked rather pale, with a very faint yellow color, more towards white.

Several days ago at sunset, a little behind a mass of clouds there was another cloud that reflected a rainbow on the edges of the top, the photo only captures a little bit of this sunset.
296454602_600118358346284_753074382766375567_n.jpg

Have woken up to another 0 degrees C morning. Wind makes it feel like -4C. We had -1C a couple of weeks ago. Most days it doesn’t climb beyond 12-14C. Really miserable winter. Half of Australia is sick with Covid and Flu at the moment, being aggravated by the cold.

Stockholm, Sweden
1 Aug 2022

2022-08-01-04-26-47.jpg

Return to Summer

During the past two days, temperatures returned to wonderful summer levels, between 25°C and 27°C (77-80.6°F) at the most, while the chilly nights are gone. It is still cloudy at times, but the sun also makes itself known, especially during mornings.

Month of July

ended with -0.1°C in average for Stockholm, while colder than normal for larger parts of Middle and NW Sweden, despite the very brief but excessive heat up to 34.8°C in Stockholm... you can see in the below illustration, that there many days with colder than normal temperatures - as well rather unsteady weather most of the time (I need to add that these comparisons are connected to new, latter climate period of 1991-2020). If compared to the older 1961-90 climate period, Stockholm would have had a July average of 1.7°C "warmer than normal" (which seem a bit excessive in my opinion, related to the feeling this July 2022 has given, lacking that genuine long summer period).

Deviations_from_normal_average_temperatures_1-24July2022.png

Last edited:
Stockholm, Sweden
The Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute presents monthly reviews of the weather in Sweden and in the world. They also link to monthly reports from a few countries mentioned below. I only translated the name of a country if they could not be easily guessed.

Månadsöversikter Danmark
Månadsöversikter Finland
Månadsöversikter Frankrike France
Månadsöversikter Irland
Månadsöversikter (Tíðarfar) Island
Månadsöversikter Nederländerna The Netherlands
Månadsöversikter NorgeMånadsöversikter Portugal
Månadsöversikter Schweiz
Månadsöversikter Spanien
Månadsöversikter Storbritannien United Kingdom
Månadsöversikter Tyskland Germany
Månadsöversikter Österrike Austria
Månadsöversikter USA
Månadsöversikter Mexiko
Månadsöversikter Pakistan
Månadsöversikter Réunion
Månadsöversikter Australien
Månadsöversikter Nya Zeeland
Månadsöversikter globalt (NOAA)
The also mention a EU source:
Månadsöversikter globalt (Copernicus) Below are some images of Europe from the last few months:

Screenshot 2022-08-09 215902.jpg
Sea temperatures
Being close to the sea, the local weather is influenced by the sea, and the temperatures of the seas. From Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather one can select particular regions of the oceans and find the surface sear temperatures. Below is a screenshot for North Atlantic->North Atlantic Ocean (All):
Screenshot 2022-08-09 220459.jpg
The above page does not show much of the Baltic Sea. DMI covers more if on scrolls down on Havtemperatur, as this example shows:
Screenshot 2022-08-09 222012.jpg
Most temperatures are inviting for swimming, though people in Southern Norway, Scotland, Western England and Sweden live near water in the cold therapy range of 10-15 degrees.

We had another 0 degrees C morning today. It was frosty all over, thankfully not much wind. And, I jumped into a cold shower and my brain nearly froze by the end of it, lol. Its due to a polar blast that has come in, to be followed by heavy rain starting Friday.

The UK is gearing up for another fiery blast. Low 30's at the moment but going up to 36 C during the week potentially. Very upsetting for me as I like soft gentle damp weather interspersed with a hint of dryness and sunshine. The countryside is parched and the wildlife is suffering. We have a partial hosepipe ban but if this continues I would think the dreaded standpipes might be mentioned under the breath....:cry:

Voilà plusieurs jours que la température le matin est à 24° et la journée 30/31°
Donc il n'y a pas de grande différence entre le jour et la nuit, ce n'est pas reposant mais il ne faut pas se plaindre car pour certains malgré des nuits plus fraiches la température du jour monte très haut 35/39° et toujours pas de pluie à l'horizon...

For several days now, the temperature in the morning is 24° and during the day 30/31°.
So there is not much difference between day and night, it is not restful but we should not complain because for some despite cooler nights the temperature of the day rises very high 35/39 ° and still no rain on the horizon ...

The Netherlands is in the middle of an enduring heat wave with temps during the day mounting to 32° - 35° Celsius and around 20° C at night. Today also marked the hottest August 14th since measurements began in 1901, with 32.7° C in Gilze-Rijen (near Tilburg). The previous record was a meager 28.7° C in 1973 in De Bilt.

Today constitutes the fifth day of the heatwave which is expected to last at least up to and including Thursday the 18th.

Details here:
Officially warmest August 14 since measurements began
Netherlands sees first official heat wave in two years, municipalities unprepared
It's official: This weekend we'll have a heatwave - DutchNews.nl

In Dutch:
https://www.msn.com/nl-nl/nieuws/Binnenland/officieel-warmste-14-augustus-sinds-begin-van-de-metingen
Hittegolf houdt aan met warmste 14 augustus ooit, benauwdheid neemt toe

Back
Top Bottom