What's the weather where you are?

1610669258540.png

During the latest jet steam "Atmospheric River" wind storm, coming in from the Pacific ocean, it got REALLY windy here on Van Isle during the night.
This picture is from a house just down the highway for where I live.
"Both the house and the canoe were undamaged. The canoe has since been removed."
How Canadian, eh?

D4ABE0B7-DD5A-422D-82CD-3303890A6AE7.jpeg
South Stockholm
Högdalen Subway depot

Summer is far away when i look at the tables and stuff

We got plenty of snow now (and a tiny bit more sunshine). The temperatures went down to -10°C. Everything glitters when you walk by light poles. The white nuances in the landscape really lifts the mood, as everything appears brighter.

In the extreme north of Sweden the temperature reached down to -39.7°C / -39.5°F (in Nattavaara) yesterday morning.

While very cold, it is not unusual for this time of the year.

Must be a dream for battery powered cars, i am sure ?

:headbanger:

Not !!

Dresden, Germany, two days ago on wednesday (IIRC) we had what I think was thundersnow. The first noise seemed strange to me, to massive for an industrial noise but not quite like normal thunder and I didn't see any lightning. So I first thought it might have been a meteor explosion. After a minute or so there was a second one, so that was unlikely for a meteor explosion. And with a third one I could see lightning lighting up parts of the cloudy sky. Then very sudden within a minute or two came heavy snowing so that you couldn't see very far anymore. I have never experienced thundersnow before and I think it's very unusual for Germany. For example the german Wikipedia is very well developed and many if not most english pages have a german version, but not so for 'thundersnow'. But there is a paragraph here (Gewitter/Wintergewitter) if somebody is interested.

IMG_8722.jpgI live 20 kilometers south of Basel (Switzerland). We usually have very mild winters here with very little or no snow. In the 8 years that I have lived here it has only snowed 3 times. The snow usually thawed immediately. It has been snowing continuously since yesterday and I have never seen this amount of snow here. I actually had to go to the hardware store today and buy myself a snow shovel. I've never needed them before.

The snow shovel workout was tough but good! :thup: ❄️

IMG_8723.jpg

I absolutely love ...

...that you guys (gals & dudes) share your weather photos 💕 here. It is something like a secret passion of mine (for 35+ years). Watching weather photos (and making observations). It is a great pleasure for me, to watch and experience weather through the eyes and soul of other people.

Winter (snow) thunderstorms

are not very common in Europe, but they do happen from time to time, when very strong (and fast) cold fronts swoop though the lands, e.g. very cold air, very suddenly, march down over Middle Europe. When the temperature difference between ground and height exceed 40°K, conditions for thunderstorms increase considerably.

Here in Stockholm, Sweden - I only experienced snow thunderstorms once in 38 years.

One day before 1 March 1996

when I was awake for 24+ hours, working on my first real photo exhibition, making color prints in the darkroom, writing poems and framing everything. Quite a bit stressed to get things ready in time for the next day, but the sudden flow of energy and words came effortlessly, (kind of like a champagne bottle effect). The Exhibition "13 days behind the Moon" was about Life & Lifelessness in the contacts between people in Stockholm.

_-2021-01-15-at-18-48-37.jpg _-2021-01-15-at-18-51-42.jpg 1996-01-14-01-Ensam.jpg

So, while working on the floor with cutting mats... (daytime). The light was dull. Suddenly there was an onset of intense, very dense snow showers - and then lightning flashes flared up :scared: - three times - followed by the typical strong Ka-Boom sound soon after.

That was an intriguing experience, totally unexpected.

München, Germany - after Christmas 1982 (or 1983)

I also remember Snow showers in Munich, Germany after the Christmas holidays. Temperatures were hovering around 17°C (unusual warm, due to the Alps creating "Föhn" winds) - but then a rapid change occurred, with a large temperature drop and following snow showers - as well plenty of thunderstorms (at least 17 lightning flashes) as cold air swooped down over Germany.

For the last 2-3 years, there have been warm and little snowy winters in Belarus. The temperature is not lower than -5 at night and around 0 +5 during the day. Gray, black mud underfoot. One joy is that it is easy for homeless cats to survive such a winter.
Even this New Year we met with torrential rains. And then suddenly the country was covered with fluffy snow.
❄️🌨️
Now we are approaching frosts down to -28 degrees Celsius. This is an extraordinary event. But as I remember from childhood, frost at -10 -25 was the norm for at least 1 or 2 winter months.

I am happy with the new landscape, you can make snowmen, ski and sled. But I suppose that soon I will get very tired of putting on like cabbage, cleaning the parking lot, wading through the snowdrifts and wanting to be green again and warm around.
Hope this winter is not forever.☃️
IMG_20210115_212615.jpg

Dresden, Germany, two days ago on wednesday (IIRC) we had what I think was thundersnow. The first noise seemed strange to me, to massive for an industrial noise but not quite like normal thunder and I didn't see any lightning. So I first thought it might have been a meteor explosion. After a minute or so there was a second one, so that was unlikely for a meteor explosion. And with a third one I could see lightning lighting up parts of the cloudy sky. Then very sudden within a minute or two came heavy snowing so that you couldn't see very far anymore. I have never experienced thundersnow before and I think it's very unusual for Germany. For example the german Wikipedia is very well developed and many if not most english pages have a german version, but not so for 'thundersnow'. But there is a paragraph here (Gewitter/Wintergewitter) if somebody is interested.

Some videos of the thundersnow in Germany (Leipzig - 121 km away from Dresden according to Google) are up on Twitter, and the sound is much like you describe. As you say, it's probably rare for your area and, similarly, a month or so ago in Scotland people were calling the police over the sound of the thundersnow, thinking it was a 'collapsing building' or 'exploding bomb'.

The temp here in AK rose to 40°F several days ago, and accompanied with rain. The next day, it was sunny, and combined with the warming from the previous day, it made for spring-like weather!

Today, it is 38°F and cloudy. This is far above the normal temps for January.

So, I'm thinking we owe our warm weather to the gulf of AK. The warm southern ocean air is channelled by geography to south central AK, and as we see from the Gulf of Mexico weather patterns when we watch hurricane forecasts, it is similar.
So, when a depression makes landfall the rain will fall on east side of it, and the west side will not get much rain. And it is consistent. Southeast AK is rainforest, southwest is tundra, and south central is a mix.
And though the warm air is cooled too much to develop into hurricanes, it still brings warm air northward, making it comparable to more southern geographies temperature-wise.
So, the reason for the warm winter is due to ocean heating, which pushes warm air northward and this displaces the cold air southward making places get snow where it is not ordinary.

This night was also windy weather here in NRW, Germany. Wind was so strong with rain that I thought that wind will blow out my windows.

Today is quiet, with usual overcast and the rain that falls every single day, gray weather as usual for this time of the year. I think I saw the sun 1-2 times in last month. :(
Last week we had 1 night and not full 1 day of snow before it melted and started to rain - again.
Temperature today as usual 5-6 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom