What's the weather where you are?

Did Indianian summer take a vacation?

On this side of the pond (51lat/116 long) summer kind of took a vacation - cool and darn wet every month. Indian summer, nope. Forecast for Saturday morning is -6 Celsius. Last year wildfires abound, this year sees snow in the mountains that never melted - again.

Over the past two or so days, two minutes of sun followed two minutes of rain has been the norm in the daytime, followed by evenings and nights of rain.

Quite windy yesterday evening. Littlw wind this evening.

All this rain tonight reminded me of the C's comment on 'sheets of rain'.

The Netherlands registered a cold record this weekend with the coldest 6th of October ever measured in De Bilt, with only 9.6° Celsius breaking the previous record of 10.1 degrees dating from 1936. It is the first cold record of this year against 13 heat records and two official heat waves. The previous coldest day record was broken on September 23rd, 2018 with 10.9 degrees in De Bilt.

article_5506_21aaeaf1-6be_image_medium.png

The cold record broken on Sunday was thanks to a combination of rain, an easterly wind, and thick cloud cover. The air cooled down due to prolonged rainfall, a strong easterly wind blew icy air into the Netherlands, and a thick blanket of clouds shielded the sunlight and prevented it from warming up the environment.

More details here:
Coldest Oct 6 ever measured in Netherlands; chilly week ahead
Autumn makes its mark with coldest October 6 since records began - DutchNews.nl

Sources in Dutch:
Koudste 6 oktober ooit gemeten - kouderecord in De Bilt 2019
Kouderecord 6 oktober
nd.nl/nieuws/nederland/zondag-was-de-koudste-6-oktober-ooit.3610582.lynkx

Very warm weather in Macedonia for this part of the year. Also, until now very dry, without any rains.
Morning temperatures are around 12C and during the day the go as high as 25.
As I can see the forecasts, from the middle of the next week there will be some rain and temperatures drop.
Very unusual weather.

Beautiful autumn weather West of Ukraine, Hungary! I began the morning athletic exercise in thick mists and chilly air. The wet grass was cool, but not so cold that it stunned my bare feet. It was amazing: the sun gradually came out and I had to take off my knitted hat and doff the heavy, knitted sweaters, because the mist disappeared giving place to fantastic sunshine! By noon the sunshine was so strong, it dried my training clothes.

October 24, 2019, partly cloudy, calm.
Lots of water run off (from the recent storm systems), with the rivers and streams flowing well.
Ready to rock n roll with STOs!

Reporting yet another heat record in the Netherlands, the 14th this year.

Source (Dutch only):
Weer een record: warmste 24 oktober ooit gemeten in De Bilt

DeepL Translator said:
Another record: warmest 24 October ever measured at De Bilt

October 24, 2019 18:00 hrs. Restated 18:13 hrs.

Did you also enjoy the mild weather today? Today is the warmest 24 October ever measured in De Bilt. In the course of the afternoon, the temperature rose to 19.6 degrees Celsius. It is the fourteenth time this year a heat record is broken.

This is reported by Buienradar [in Dutch]. The previous heat record of 19.4 degrees on this day (since the beginning of the measurements in 1901) dates from 1995.

Maastricht

The weather record in De Bilt is an official record. If an even higher temperature is measured elsewhere outside the KNMI's official observation, this is referred to as a national record.

That was not broken this year: the national heat record on 24 October, measured across all KNMI weather stations, dates back to 1971. This was established in Maastricht and remains at 21.8 degrees.

Many heat records

Today's heat record is this year's fourteenth heat record. On the other hand, there is only one cold record. That was on 6 October. On average, eight date heat records and one date cold record are registered each year in De Bilt.

Philippe Schambergen of Buienradar says: "Without climate change, we would have had approximately the same number of heat and cold records every year, but in recent years we have more and more heat records than cold records."

This is clearly shown in the graph below with the number of day records per year since 1901:

f871af0a-9658-4ba0-b3c1-a4fef0c5b54f.PNG

According to Schambergen, many more heat records will probably be set in the coming years.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Other sources in Dutch:
Warmste 24 oktober ooit gemeten in De Bilt
Warmste 24 oktober ooit gemeten in De Bilt

Friday Nov.1, 2019
In the Laurentians, an hour north of Montreal, we have light snow, gusty winds and the province is seeing many - as much as 100k - households without power this morning.

The weather underground states: (https://www.wunderground.com/)
"Windy with on and off snow showers during the morning. High 3C. Winds W at 30 to 50 km/h. Chance of snow 50%. Winds could occasionally gust over 65 km/h."

This is a swift turnaround from what we were experiencing in previous days.
Oops gotta go fetch the patio furniture which is strewn across the back garden!

Since my previous post ; Today at 10:42 AM

The number of households without power in Québec shot up to 1Million (at 2 pm) out of a total of 4.3 Million households in the enire province.

For a mere wind storm? Seems kind of odd. Especially since we had one of the most severe storms - 2 solar cycles ago, in 1998/ January 1998 North American ice storm - Wikipedia - and according to Hydro-Quebec the entire infrastructure was rebuilt to protect us from this? Or did they once again cut their corners rounded?

It is now 16h59 and power just shot back up!

Widespread destruction in my area of northern New York state following yesterday's storm up the east coast. Some areas report up to 6 inches of rain in a short period of time along with wind gusts up to 60 miles per hr. Roads have washed out and trees are down. We just regained power but cannot pass through our road because of flooding and erosion. I can only imagine what it would be like with "sheets of rain" for days as this was the result of one day only.

I'm in southern, lower Michigan. Yesterday, All Hallows' eve, we had rain, snow and brisk winds. 30F this morning. I broke out the wool coat!

There were a couple power outages in the area, but we managed to escape the ferocious winds that hit further east. An EF2 tornado was confirmed just west of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with straight line winds! There seems to be a real uptick In wind speeds. It makes any storm, rain or snow, so much worse.

Batten down the hatches, this winter is gonna be a dousy!

There were several periods of rain and shower intermittently throughout the day in central London.

Reactions: Ca.
Back
Top Bottom