What's the weather where you are?

Ventusky.com has a camera function for online locations in some parts of the world. It offers the opportunity to observe what the weather looks like. Some stations are very boring, perhaps showing a road and a few bushes, or a field, or houses surrounding a parking lot, similar to a security or surveillance camera. Typically they show a shot taken a few minutes ago.

Often you can scroll a 24-hour cycle. Some night cameras are poor other cameras can capture the stars, like the one at Cerro Pacho, at The Southern Gemini Telescope, see the screenshot below:
Skærmbillede 2024-04-07 220058.png

Unusually warm and nice weather for this period of the year in Macedonia and in southern Balkans generally. The temperature goes up to 25C.
The forecast for next week is that there will be another cold wave from the north which can bring a lot of rain, cold weather, and even snow in some places. If the temperature goes bellow zero, well that can cause a lot of damage to agriculture.

Similar what @Konstantin said before: Here in the Eastern Part of Austria we have very warm weather, too. A little bit south from where I live they said temperatures were about 30° - which is summer temperature. Where I live we have at the moment 27°. My father would have said: "We have an early year now". I was completely surprised when I realized last week that Lilacs (Flieder) is already blooming. Normally this happens around Mothersday which is on the second Monday in May. Now it was at the beginning of April, which certainly is very early! Cannot remember something early like that. Lilacs are a sign for Mothers Day because in case you have forgotten to buy some flowers you always take some lilacs, that's why one always knows the date . . . We are also supposed to have a drop down in temperature but not so bad, until 15°. That would do no harm to plants - but we will see what this year will become . .

Catania, Sicily / Southern Italy
9 April 2024

Not as hot as in central Europe, but very pleasant 24°C with super blue skies and a nice breeze from the sea. I believe that Sicily often gets a bit lower temperatures in spring (compared to northern Italy) due to the water temperatures keeping them down a notch, at a very comfortable level

When we left Stockholm early morning of 6 April - it was again … snowing (5 days in a row). In the mean time today the city is expecting 17°C.

In parts of southern Sweden, the temperature reached up to 20°C for the first time in this season. Nevertheless, the outlooks for middle Sweden are… uhm… not so nice. Gradually falling temperatures which over time might stay quite a bit below average (6°C max, 1°C min). Brrrr

Being suddenly in Sicily while experiencing this fantastic weather with all the SUNSHINE… ooh my - it feels almost surreal to me.

IMG_2473.jpeg
IMG_2474.jpeg
View from our balcony, downtown Catania near the harbor. And lots of birds chirping from the roof tops.

Big hugs to you all 💞

Ralf

Stockholm, Sweden
19 April 2024

Back from Sicily - weheee 🎉🥳 (**) But boy, it is COLD here. As I write now in the afternoon my thermometer shows a mere 2.9°C [37.2°F]. Yesterday, it was snowing at a temperature around 2.0°C [35.6°F] Sunshine... ?! lets not talk about that; but it is abysmal.

Apparently during my stay in Sicily, there was a week of very mild to warm week here in Stockholm, with temperatures up to +18°C - which was way above average. It looks like this:

April2024.png

Sunshine in Stockholm...
So, let's talk about Sunshine. What's up with that ? That's a good question... for unknown reasons 2024 has this far been way below normal average, more in line with one of the poorest years such as 1983 and 1984 (this far until 18 April).

Below, i compare with the previous year of 2023, and as you can see 2024 isn't really much to write home about...

sunshine2023vs2024.png

The graph below
also shows clearly, that Jan-April 2024 is diverting from the previous years, e.g. the lack of sunshine hours are evidently visible. While the daily average of April 2019 and April 2022 had a whopping 9 hours per day, we are right now at 3 hours only (equivalent to an average February - or said like this: not much sunshine at all).

The outlook in the next week looks grim; steadily overcast weather, and a max temperature of just +1 to +4°C.

sunshine-Stockholm2019-2024.png

Coming home from Sicily
(**)
Not so much "party feeling" really. When my husband and i returned hours after midnight the 18th of April, after a nights sleep - we both got big thick/puffy red eyes. (I've never had such a reaction before). Apparently after the passage of a cold front over Catania, while the air was still pretty warm, but the winds were very fierce...(While we were out and about on the day of our very late departure - we must have caught lots of pollen that went deeper into our eyes ? So, now we look like little reddish puffy pigs in our faces - and nobody would think we just returned from an awesome, wonderful vacation :lol:

On top I got fever today, (38.3°C at the moment) with my lungs on fire - so I called in sick at my subway work. Which i don't really like that, because i have already been sick in the end of March :whistle:

But you know something ? It'll pass. The vacation in Catania kicked out all those remaining Corona/lockdown ghosts i still had stuck in my head from March-April 2020. The city has returned to its loud, bubbly, vital, somewhat chaotic state, filled with life, voices, cars, laughter and... LOTS of human interaction. Oh, did the boy in me love that !!!!

It was simply fantastic to experience all that again, after 4 years of absence. We are already planning to go back in Oct 2024 for a week, as the whole family will meet, the one daughter from California, the other from France, and us from Sweden, and celebrating the mother's / our friend's pension party. 🎉🥳

I made a goofy (AI) joke image
from our arrival at Arlanda Airport at 01.43 with a temperature of -1°C there, wondering how we would get home, as the flight busses as well the Arlanda Express trains all had ended their service already. (We also met dear friend to Sal all the way back from their youth, on the very same airplane home). :wow:

2024-04-18-01-43-57-STELLA-COMICS,-Sal,-Gabriella.jpg

Back from Sicily - weheee 🎉🥳 (**) But boy, it is COLD here. As I write now in the afternoon my thermometer shows a mere 2.9°C [37.2°F]. Yesterday, it was snowing at a temperature around 2.0°C [35.6°F] Sunshine... ?! lets not talk about that; but it is abysmal.
Hope you enjoyed your visit to Sicily. Interesting that Sweden is so cold for end of April. I fully expected the UK to be very cold this winter but all we have had is rain, rain, rain....more rain than you could shake a stick at. It started raining in the autumn and it continued all winter and most of the spring. We have been, literally, treading water. England is usually quite a wet country but I have never seen anything on this scale.

In SC Alaska, it is 45°F (7.22°C).
It has been cool and overcast for the most part. There is still snow cover on the flat ground, but on the south facing hillsides, the snow is gone.
The warmest temp so far, was about 55°F, on a sunny day; bugs were starting to come out, but when the temps dipped close to freezing, they disappeared again.

I'm reminded of the spring of '93 when the last half of April was like summer, where the temps reached 78°F (25.5°C) and the trees turned green with leaves. Looks like that won't happen again this year.

Back
Top Bottom