I found this on RT today:
RT asks
Thank you for voting!
What’s behind the Ferguson riots?

44% - The militarization of the US police
17% - Obama’s failure to tackle racism & poverty
12% - Crime is out of control across America
27% - Media hype made a tragic incident worse

Couldn't find a better answer so I voted for the The militarization of the US police. I wanted to see "psychopaths in power" or something like that.

Could be good for seeing how the majority of Sott readers think about certain matters of the world.

Also might increase satisfaction in participation. Maybe would help people finally wake up, when people see, how many others vote on a question about an important international issue?

Vote section placed somewhere near Breaking News or a usually well visited place on the page.

The question would be, what to do with these polls then, since polls are about hypotheses and falsifying or validating these ones. Also sott would have a very homogenous group of people, at least from what I see. Creating polls and asking questions already can be a science of it's own where you could lead already many members in a direction simply by phrasing the question. At least these would be my two cents on it :).

Also consider the psychological effect of how polls tend to effect the way we think. Giving a finite range of answers might subconsciously induce readers into thinking those are the only possible explanations and reduce overall discernment in individuals, which is the exact opposite of what SotT aims to do, especially since the topics discussed are often complex, multifaceted and in general just tricky to navigate.

Good points. Polls could be a quick assessment, to see what is the general opinion of Sott visitors on selected subject matters. Pros and cons appears to be same: Its quick and easy to push a button either on a hunch or taking more time thinking the vote through. Constriction of freedom of expression could be avoided by giving options like: not sure, undecided, yes, no, I don't think voting on this subject was a good idea, etc.

I've seen polls on social media where you can either choose from the given answers or add your own which then adds it to the list to choose from then you get your percentages down the side. Could be interesting.

lainey said:
I've seen polls on social media where you can either choose from the given answers or add your own which then adds it to the list to choose from then you get your percentages down the side. Could be interesting.

Could turn into troll attractors too.

m said:
lainey said:

Yep, unfortunately. No remedy for this. Would be much expended energy for coding to prevent trolling/new registrations, just to try to see a result made questionable because of droves of haters.

lilies said:
m said:
lainey said:

Yep, unfortunately. No remedy for this. Would be much expended energy for coding to prevent trolling/new registrations, just to try to see a result made questionable because of droves of haters.
Oh dear, I didn't realise. I very naively assumed people would use it wisely.

Back
Top Bottom