volunteer contribution

webglider

Dagobah Resident
After giving much thought to how I could best contribute to the work of the Fellowship at this time, I've decided that I would like to return to being Sott editor once again if that is all right. I'm not quite sure of the opportunities open at this time, so if there is some other work that is needed, and if I think I am capable of doing it, I would do that instead.

quote from Turgon:

If your willing, I could use some help transcribing SOTTtalkradio. http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,31051.msg410223.html#new

Yes, I can start tomorrow morning. Should I start at the beginning, or at a particular section?

Mod note: fixed quote

Hi Turgon,

As there are more than one show to be transcribed in the link you sent, I'm not sure which one you want me to work on.

I'm hazarding a guess that it's the most recent -Show #12 Settled Science - although I could be wrong.

If I am, please redirect me by providing the title of the one upon which you'd like me to work.

Until then, I'll work on Show #12 as parallel seems to working on the "Are Psychopaths Cool" show transcript.

I'm jumping a little ahead here, but when the transcript is completed, where do I send it?

webglider said:
... when the transcript is completed, where do I send it?

One of two choices:

1) Type in the title you are working on, then copy/paste the text in 'Quick Reply'
2) Click 'Preview' button then at the bottom of the page, Attach/upload your text document.

Hey Webglider, I'm on the library computer so cant use cut and paste function, but I think starting on Episode # 2 - Gun Control would be better to work on seeing as Parallel is doing episode # 3 and I'm doing # 1. Although I am anal retentive when it comes to things like that so if you've already started on # 12 then ignore this post.

Hi Turgon and webglider,

Thanks so much for transcribing the Sotttalkradio. :clap:

You can post your transcription in the appropriate thread.

Moreover, could you send me your doc files once done please so I could upload them in our translation database.

Turgon said:
I think starting on Episode # 2 - Gun Control would be better to work on seeing as Parallel is doing episode # 3 and I'm doing # 1. Although I am anal retentive when it comes to things like that so if you've already started on # 12 then ignore this post.

Hi Turgon,

If you think it is best for me to work on episode 2, that's fine with me. Can you send me the link?

However, I find that I work really slowly. Maybe the pace will pick up as I go along.
This is all I have after several hours.

Quote from Laura: We're in the condition we're in, the state of ignorance we're in, and the state of war, in the state of depletion of the resources of our planet because of the greed of psychopaths who thought they could create their own reality. Well look at the reality they created.!

You are listening to SOTT Talk Radio: The World for People Who Think.

Niall: Hello and welcome to all our listeners.

Your hosts are myself, Niall Bradley, my co-host Joe Quinn and Jason Martins (check spelling) is with us.

We're very lucky to be joined tonight by Pierre (last name)?

Pierre, (Hello).

Niall: And Arkadiusz Jadczyk who we know as Ark.

Niall? Joe? (go back and check) The topic of tonight's show...

host? ? Well, we're back in the sciences again and this time we're going to be looking at the hard sciences in general, and we think that with Ark and Pierre here they have stories to tell us of their experiences in the scientific and technological fields.

host??; Of course Laura has written.......

Maybe the pace will pick up as I go along.

Mod's note: Edited to fix the quotation boxes

webglider said:
However, I find that I work really slowly. Maybe the pace will pick up as I go along.
Hi webglider, maybe you could explore why your pace is so slow, what kind of resistance are you meeting?

quote from parallel:

Hi webglider, maybe you could explore why your pace is so slow, what kind of resistance are you meeting?
It's not resistance - it's that I don't transcribe quickly enough. The problem is that I spend a lot of time going back to make sure that I am true to the words that were spoken. This part takes me awhile to find where I left off and I end up going back to the beginning and listening to everything, even the parts I am sure of, over again.

It's easier transcribing from a video because there's way to go back to a particular point.

I actually enjoy transcribtion because I learn a lot when I write, (or type) things down.

Usually, when I get stuck, it's because of some technical thing I can't handle. Then I get frustrated, feel stupid, and then still keep plunging ahead until I burn out.

@ Webglider:

Take your time, don't rush it. If you are stressed, take a break!
There is no deadline you have to meet just so long as you don't
take over a year to finish! Kidding aside, have joy and have mirth!

Just remind yourself that you are doing good works for those who
can benefit as well as yourself!

Kudos to you (and Turgon)!

webglider said:
It's not resistance - it's that I don't transcribe quickly enough. The problem is that I spend a lot of time going back to make sure that I am true to the words that were spoken. This part takes me awhile to find where I left off and I end up going back to the beginning and listening to everything, even the parts I am sure of, over again.
I meant resistance in a general sense; everything from technical computer stuff, memory lapses, programs and other malfunctions between lower centers. I pick up alot of programs when transcribing, especially when the material is as long as these shows, which is great learning. But yeah memory of lines can be tricky when focus is drifting. I try to memorize a line, then pause, usually between 5 to 12 words at a time.

webglider said:
Usually, when I get stuck, it's because of some technical thing I can't handle. Then I get frustrated, feel stupid, and then still keep plunging ahead until I burn out.
If you have any technical questions, feel free to ask.

webglider said:
It's easier transcribing from a video because there's way to go back to a particular point.
If you used an audio program, like the free one: Audacity, it would be much easier to zoom in on a small portion and choose particular points.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

quote from parallel:

If you used an audio program, like the free one: Audacity, it would be much easier to zoom in on a small portion and choose particular points.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Thanks for the Audacity recommendation. My computer skills are very basic, so I hired a friend to teach me how to use it.

He'll be coming around on Friday, so if I can be of any use finding and posting news articles I can do that in the meantime.
I used to be a Sott editior. Even though there are probably some changes, I think the learning curve would not be as steep and I will actually be able to contribute something.

Turgon said:
Hey Webglider, I'm on the library computer so cant use cut and paste function, but I think starting on Episode # 2 - Gun Control would be better to work on seeing as Parallel is doing episode # 3 and I'm doing # 1. Although I am anal retentive when it comes to things like that so if you've already started on # 12 then ignore this post.
Hey transcribers: I'll do #8

I'll do episode #4, Women Who Love Psychopaths - With Sandra L. Brown.

Ooops #4 is Cosmic Catastrophe, Drones and Social Hysteria. I'll do that one :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom