Visits during the night

ELTE2307

Padawan Learner
For more than 15 years I've been experiencing some strange things when I go to spleep. When I beging to sleep (half aware - half sleeping) I sometimes open my eyes and see some creatures in front of me. Those are people (man or women) looking at me or doing some things (that I don't know what it is)

Does someone else experience the same ?
Is it the "fruit of my imagination"

Have you considered sleep paralysis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Sleep paralysis is a condition that may occur in normal subjects or be associated with narcolepsy, cataplexy, and hypnagogic hallucinations. The pathophysiology of this condition is closely related to the normal hypotonia that occur during REM sleep.[1] When considered to be a disease, isolated sleep paralysis is classified as MeSH D020188.[2] Some evidence suggests that it can also, in some cases, be a symptom of migraine.[3][4]
Contents

Symptoms and characteristics

Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is known as REM atonia. Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain awakes from a REM state, but the body paralysis persists. This leaves the person fully conscious, but unable to move. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes "after which the individual may experience panic symptoms and the realization that the distorted perceptions were false".[5] When there is an absence of narcolepsy, sleep paralysis is referred to as isolated sleep paralysis (ISP).[6] "ISP appears to be far more common and recurrent among blacks than among whites or Nigerian blacks",[7] and is often referred to within black communities as "the Devil on your back"[8][9]

In addition, the paralysis state may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger.[10] Sleep paralysis is particularly frightening to the individual due to the vividness of such hallucinations.[11] The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful, or dream-like, objects may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for alien abductions and ghostly encounters.[12] A study by Susan Blackmore and Marcus Cox of the University of the West of England supports the suggestion that reports of alien abductions are related to sleep paralysis rather than to temporal lobe lability.[13]

[edit] Possible causes

Sleep paralysis occurs during REM sleep, thus preventing the body from manifesting movements made in the subject's dreams. Very little is known about the physiology of sleep paralysis.[citation needed] However, some have suggested that it may be linked to post-synaptic inhibition of motor neurons in the pons region of the brain.[citation needed] In particular, low levels of melatonin may stop the depolarization current in the nerves, preventing the stimulation of the muscles and any consequent enactment of the dream activity by the body (e.g. preventing a sleeper from flailing his legs when dreaming about running).[citation needed]

Several studies have concluded that many or most people will experience sleep paralysis at least once or twice in their lives.[citation needed] A study conducted by Sedaghat F. et al. has investigated the prevalence of sleep paralysis among Iranian medical students. 24.1% of students reported experiencing sleep paralysis at least once in their lifetime. The same result was reported among Japanese, Nigerian, Kuwaiti, Sudanese and American students.[14]

Many people who commonly enter sleep paralysis also suffer from narcolepsy. In non-Nigerian blacks, panic disorder occurs with sleep paralysis more frequently than in Caucasians.[15] Some reports read that various factors increase the likelihood of both paralysis and hallucinations. These include:[16]

* Sleeping in a face upwards or supine position
* Irregular sleeping schedules; naps, sleeping in, sleep deprivation
* Increased stress
* Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes
* A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode.

When it occurs, I'm not paralysed. I just open my eyes and I see them staring at me. I sometimes see animals (snakes) but it's rare. I have to say that it happens when I'm in between two states (half conscious - half asleep)

ELTE2307 said:
When it occurs, I'm not paralysed. I just open my eyes and I see them staring at me. I sometimes see animals (snakes) but it's rare. I have to say that it happens when I'm in between two states (half conscious - half asleep)

Certain kinds of medication can contribute to both hypnopompic or hypnagogic states during sleep. These range from the newer heart medications to anti depressants.
Anti-seizure medication used to prevent migraines can also cause these hallucinations.

To be sure you're not in sleep paralysis, try moving next time you open your eyes and see something staring back at you, wiggle the toes, move your arms, or even try to touch what is hovering there.

These are all suggestions, though. I've had the same things happen for a number of years. A sleep study was indeterminate in my case, but if it is depriving you of rest and its possible, a sleep study might help. :)

Sleep paralysis can be an intermediate explanation for strange, sometimes frightening nighttime experiences. But no one has yet been able to adequately explain them or prove that they are indeed mere hallucinations. It seems to me that the diagnosis of "sleep paralysis" is often used as the "coverall" for that which does not fit in with mainstream science, or so it seems. I know people who have experienced what mainstream science would term "sleep paralysis" and yet the experiences have gone well beyond mere hallucinations.

Hi all, it would be interesting to know what the C's say about the 'in between' sleeping and waking state. There was an occasion recently when I had been reading the 'iron mountain report' (anyone else read that?). I had been reading it on and off for a few days, as it's quite something to take in, in its implications.

Anyway, after finishing the report, I was just thinking (only 'thinking' mind you), that if I sent it to a really good investigative journalist (is there such a thing?), who would know how to 'bring it out' maybe, that this would be cool. I was only semi serious in my mind, but the thought was there. I went to sleep. Later my dog woke me saying she really needed to go out. So I get up let her out and then go back to bed. I'm just drifting off (the 'in between place'), and I become aware that there's someone in my room. I open my eyes (not sure that I actually did this), and sitting across the room in a chair is a guy, who leans forward and stares at me. He says, 'you know, my friends in Chicago could just take you and do what they like, so keep your mouth shut'.

Well, first I felt a trickle of fear, then recognising this I deliberately lay back down and centered myself and in that moment I realised that I did not have to 'do' anything. This was wonderful, so I leaned up on one elbow and told the guy that I didn't have to 'do' anything; that it was already being done by many others and in fact it was already too late for them, so go back and tell his 'friends' that. I laughed out loud I think and in that moment, he disappeared.

So, I had a 'visit' in the in between place, even though I had only been 'thinking' about things, and only semi-seriously. So, my questions are, how did this happen? What does it mean? How did 'they' (?) even know that I was thinking this?

If the C's have anything to say about the 'in between' state, I would be very interested to know. Perhaps it is a state that is 'used' for this kind of manipulative 'viewing' or something? It was just so interesting. What came out of it for me was a lot of things, but primarily the lesson that the 'moment' of centering and sending fear away, was so immediate in connecting me to 'strength' and 'knowing'. Anyone else got some insights?

That sounds more to me like a hypnagogic experience. You were reading a book based on a conspiracy theory (I do agree with the premise of Iron Mountain btw), your mind is still spinning gears about all the implications of the book, and in your "between state" you happen to view something that you possibly had already imagined in your mind. It's not something I would get too worked up about, The Report From Iron Mountain is well-known in many circles so the idea that someone/thing would attempt to dissuade you from sharing its contents due to fear of exposure seems pretty far-flung.

Heimdallr said:
That sounds more to me like a hypnagogic experience. You were reading a book based on a conspiracy theory (I do agree with the premise of Iron Mountain btw), your mind is still spinning gears about all the implications of the book, and in your "between state" you happen to view something that you possibly had already imagined in your mind. It's not something I would get too worked up about, The Report From Iron Mountain is well-known in many circles so the idea that someone/thing would attempt to dissuade you from sharing its contents due to fear of exposure seems pretty far-flung.

Hey, thanks for that thought. I followed the link of 'hypnagogic experience' on Wiki, and followed several areas, like Semantic Memory, Autobiographical Memory, Consciousness, etc. Some of what is written just lost me (too many references for me - I like to see things thought through on the page, so I can walk alongside it), but anyway, I am not sure about what I experienced as a 'hypnagogic state'. It doesn't immediately fit or make sense, mainly because there are other factors not written in my first posting about this, although some elements of it may be attributed to 'altered states' (of consciousness) and alpha/beta states etc. Wiki was just too clumsy and clever in describing this to my satisfaction.

The other 'factors', relate to memory in that the following day, I was musing about the experience although only vaguely, and I started to remember a conversation that I had with my step mother many years ago (I was 17 at that time), about her work. She was giving me a rice paddy hat that she was given when in Sri Lanka as a secretary for the Foreign Office (must have been in the late 50's/early 60's, which might coincide with the 'timing' of the iron mountain report and its beginnings; could be). Anyway she was telling me how when she got involved with my father, that our whole family was put on a 'list' by the Foreign Office as a matter of course. ... Ah, as I write something is coming into view ... because of the Secrecy Act and national security and all that doodoo. She told me that it was nothing to worry about as long as I didn't step out of line (it's that bit about stepping out of line that stands out now). Okay, so there was that 'autobiographical memory' link made. My husband has also worked as a civilian contractor for NATO some years back and we spent 3 years in Norfolk. He has worked for GCHQ and various other work that has involved a level of 'clearance'. So, is all this connected in a meaningful sense, or is it just my mind having a little party for no particular reason (I feel there must be a reason, if nothing else than to 'understand' what the in between state has to teach us about the mind and possibly how we operate at different levels?).

I'm not clear about this and I'm sure that shows, but my 'sense' was and is, that there is somehow a link between those memories surfacing and this 'in between' (visit I will call it). You see, I'm not convinced that I had 'imagined' any outcomes etc. I had fallen asleep naturally having 'let it all be'. On being woken by my dog, I was aware of nothing in particular except keeping myself in a sleepy state so that I could get back to sleep easily after letting the dog out.

You are right about the iron mountain report being well known and the fact that it is already, 'out there'. So ... I will give this some further thought. It would be empowering for all of us I guess, to have a full understanding of that 'area' of experience (the in between place). Okay, so I'm going to stop thinking aloud on the page now. Thanks again.

Maundy said:
It would be empowering for all of us I guess, to have a full understanding of that 'area' of experience (the in between place).

fwiw, in addition to hypnagogic there is hypnopompic. There's a possibly relevant statement from the C's in the thread
What to do when you realise you're lucid dreaming. Also a reference to hypnopompic here and here.

ref:
The hypnagogic state is rational waking cognition trying to make sense of non-linear images and associations; the hypnopompic state is emotional and credulous dreaming cognition trying to make sense of real world stolidity. They have a different phenomenological character. Depressed frontal lobe function in the first few minutes after waking – known as "sleep inertia" – causes slowed reaction time and impaired short-term memory. Sleepers often wake confused, or speak without making sense, a phenomenon the psychologist Peter McKeller calls "hypnopompic speech."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypnopompic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnopompic

Moderator's Note: Link re-activated for the ease of the readers of the forum since those links are not disinfo sites

Oh No! Does this mean I am not making any sense, Bud??? ;D (just pulling your leg). Thanks for the links, I will explore further. Meanwhile, I am of the mind to meditate on the matter (when I get a moment that is), before sleep is a bad idea - I just go nite nite :zzz:

Catch you later....

Hi All,

I was looking a post like this to share my experience today at 330 am, so as I could see maybe my mind have suggestions of the work....

I finished the last Friday 'The active side of Infinity' by Carlos Castenada, and try to understand the predators that Don Juan told to Carlos... well I continue reading others books but yesterday I woke up about 2 30 am I went to the bathroom and back to the bed but there are a lot of time I can not sleep so I began to turn around, move my head and try to sleep I went another again to the bathroom see all my kids they were sleeping too and everything was totally normal.

In the bed I put my head and body down, I mean with my stomach touching the bed I finished sleep :zzz: in my dream I was in another place it was like an university I was with some young people but we were waiting for " some one to come " it was like a need to rush for my life when this thing came to us, after I realized that I was its lunch in that moment I opened my eyes and saw a little girl that was in front of me and suddenly something walk between my legs and I began to felt a BIG sensation in my back , electricity ,static ,I don't know but it was huge , I closed my eyes and did not move thinking what was going on with my mind and try to think about it I said OK I don't have fear but what the hell I'm feeling something huge in my back and I felt a move this thing move to my face I felt but I keep my eyes closed. Then I felt again the move like this thing up the body and I still think why I feel such think in my back electricity static something like that , then it disappear.

Sincerely I have felt things but never like this experience someone walking in my bed and the bed moved through the steps :huh:, it was behind me and felt such an incredible energy, I tried don't feel fear then when the sensation finished I turn around and take a look in all house but there was empty nothing there.

It could be possibly that I have read that book and my mind create something like that ??????? that can move the bed and have that sensation of energy ???? :huh:

I would like to ask if all those experience came from the mind, and never happen anything of this, have anyone felt something like that ????

Hi zim. I don't know exactly what you experienced, assuming you were in the completely awake state at the time. I do know that "The Active Side of Infinity" talks a lot about energy and the energy body and inorganic beings (among other things) before it gets to the Predator.

There are two things that came to mind though, fwiw. First, depending on how deeply the book affected you, you could have been a little sensitized to your own energy body's senses at the moment - the body's ways of perceiving energy. Secondly, since this was at bedtime and you weren't too far from sleep and dreaming, your "assemblage point" (assuming there is such a thing) might not have been 'locked' into it's usual position, so I suppose it could be possible that you were somehow just sensing energy that normally comes in contact with you anyway but that you aren't normally aware of it?

At any rate, despite how it might feel at the moment, it doesn't appear to be something to be too concerned about right now.

Perhaps you could record a description of the experience in it's entirety in a journal in case patterns of this kind of experience reoccurs?

Others may have a different view, but that's all that comes to mind for me at the moment. :)

Bud said:
Hi zim. I don't know exactly what you experienced, assuming you were in the completely awake state at the time. I do know that "The Active Side of Infinity" talks a lot about energy and the energy body and inorganic beings (among other things) before it gets to the Predator.

There are two things that came to mind though, fwiw. First, depending on how deeply the book affected you, you could have been a little sensitized to your own energy body's senses at the moment - the body's ways of perceiving energy. Secondly, since this was at bedtime and you weren't too far from sleep and dreaming, your "assemblage point" (assuming there is such a thing) might not have been 'locked' into it's usual position, so I suppose it could be possible that you were somehow just sensing energy that normally comes in contact with you anyway but that you aren't normally aware of it?

At any rate, despite how it might feel at the moment, it doesn't appear to be something to be too concerned about right now.

Perhaps you could record a description of the experience in it's entirety in a journal in case patterns of this kind of experience reoccurs?

Others may have a different view, but that's all that comes to mind for me at the moment. :)

Thanks Bud for your thoughts
I think all the books I read now affected me in someway since it is knowledge I gain , this book looks like good as a guide for some procedure in the self-learning .

I really don't understand what happened and if I will have the same experience later, I have felt some low energies around me several times before but not so huge that make me felt in all my body as electric shock or something like that , I thought that I maybe made a link in my mind to the point of Flying shadows coming at night but you are right the book doesn't say anything about the energy from that " things". :/

I don't know nothing about the hiperdimensional world, although since my childhood I hear and felt " things" I can not explain. :rolleyes: :huh: :(

Hi Zim

Just wanted to say that your not alone in what you experienced, several members of this forum have posted about similar experiences (including myself). I know how scary they can be.
What I have found is that the more I learn about diet and health, and about psychology from the recommended books....and the more I apply it all to myself, the less these things happen. Getting physically, mentally and emotionally healthy, as well as increasing your understanding of the world seems to be the best defence against such things.
I agree with what bud has said, and if you've been aware of things like this since childhood, its probable that this thing has always been there and that you are simply becoming aware of its presence more clearly. This is a good thing I think, because being aware of it is the first step in getting rid of it. Or so I think.

Back
Top Bottom