Vaccinations For Travel - Weighing Up The Odds

Beorn

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
My daughter is going to Indonesia over the next few months. She is almost 1 yrs old. I have been looking at what/if any vaccines she will need. The recomendations are for Hepatitis A vaccine and Typhoid fever vaccine. Has anyone else looked into vaccines for travel? It seems to be a case of choosing 'the best of two evils.'

I've been weighing up the risks and I thought I would post them here.

Hepatitis A
Over 90% show no symptoms
Does not cause chronic infection and rarely causes death - 0.5% mortality rate, with most(70%) of those being over 49 yrs old.
Lifelong immunity

Symptoms
Influenza like symptoms
Fatigue, fever, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, loss of apetite, weight loss, jaundice. itching

Vaccine
95% immunity
Length of immunity is unknown. Some say 10+ years

Symptoms
9-14% experience headaches
Up to 10% have fever, fatigue, malaise, nausea, loss of apetite.
Other reported symptoms - stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting, joint pain, anaphylaxis,
jaundice, convulsions, multiple sclerosis, Guillain-Barre syndrome, and neuropathy.

Since 1996 there have been 2652 adverse reactions reported to US government
476 of those being serious events and
18 deaths.

*Stats from http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/Hepatitis-A.aspx

I'm still looking into Typhoid fever. It seems a little worse. If treated early on it has fatality rate of about 1%, but according to wiki the vaccine is only effective in 50-80% of cases.

Ok the Typhoid vaccine is only administered to those who are 6 yrs or older so for young children it's not an issue.

It looks like Hep A is approaching 100% infection in developing countries with 30% of adults in the US having been infected (_http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/Hepatitis-A.aspx). I wonder how many people already have had hep A without knowing it and then continue getting immunised as well!

It seems 10% of people who get hep A experience certain symptoms and about 10% who have the vaccine experience similiar symptoms but have no lifetime immunity and possible longer term problems. At this stage I'm looking at giving her powdered vit C and maybe taking some colloidal silver along as well.

There are no safe vaccines. They don't protect against anything. There is no "life-long immunity" inferred by vaccines. More like lifelong immune reactions leading to disease.

From http://www.wnho.net/vaccine_ingredients.htm

Havrix
Hepatitis A
SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals
1-800-633-8900 ext. 5231
produced using formalin, aluminum hydroxide, phenoxyethanol (antifreeze), polysorbate 20, residual MRC5 proteins (from medium)
medium: human diploid cells (originating from human aborted fetal tissue)
Formalin=formaldehyde. MRC5 proteins are "derived from the lung tissue of a 14 week old male fetus in 1966", saved and used for vaccine culture. (See: http://www.viromed.com/services/product/mrc5.htm)

Sound like anything you want to put into your daughter?

JP said:
At this stage I'm looking at giving her powdered vit C and maybe taking some colloidal silver along as well.

That would be a good idea.

If you're interested in further reading on vaccines here's a bunch of articles.

_http://educate-yourself.org/vcd/

*edit by mod* deactivated link

I'm going to have to back up what chachachick just said. After years of researching vaccines, I have come to the incontrovertible conclusion that no vaccine is safe, and what's more, no vaccine is effective (and if you believe their claims of "95% immunity" or what have you, you may as well believe in the Tooth Fairy ;)).

Thanks for the links chachachick.

OMG that's horrible! Antifreeze as well! :scared:

She hasn't had any vaccines yet, and she's never been sick apart from a runny nose for a few days. The other kids get vaccinated and come back really passive. It's awful. Everytime someone tells me I'm crazy I go and look at the stats again and it just doesn't make any sense giving her vaccinations.

Oops, you beat me to it (see my reply above). But you are right in your observation that they tend to make people passive. I know several people who have recently had babies and just about all of them came down with some sickness or another within a day of having their shots. This is far from being coincidental, as it is well known that the immune system is severely crippled after having vaccines, and it takes many weeks, months or even years for the immune system to get back to where it ought to be, if ever. :O

Yes, I hate to think what's going to happen when millions of kids are given the swine flu vaccine in a couple of weeks.

JP, This is definitely a big decision on your part, not wanting to make the 'wrong' decision. And not easy considering the possible results.

FWIW, when my daughter was born, I too intensely searched for as much information as possible on vaccinations, from many sources and in the end decided on one shot(out of maybe 20), mostly for legal reasons. As was mentioned, she did indeed get sick nearly immediately following which strengthened my resolve to not do another. She's 2.5yrs now and health-wise in fine shape.

I would have to agree completely with chachachick and 3D Resident, vaccines are poisons. There are many, many natural options to help build your daughter's immune system before traveling. In the event she catches a bug in the new locale, her body will be able to fight it and build up a natural defense.

Back
Top Bottom