up the garden path

rrraven

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
:D :D :D :D :cool:
yes we have a garden forum
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

it is spring here in Oz and I have just finished building and planting my new garden.
Because of the abundant wildlife here it has to be fully caged/netted and I still had a piece of netting to make a 4meter high tunnel 12 m long and 8m wide held up by hoops of 2inch poly pipe stuck over star pickets and bamboo poles

the garden beds are raised by marking out the pattern of the paths with lime and lifter(chook poo pellets)and then dug out and shoveled onto the beds to the depth it has been rotary hoed

90 cm black weed mat is then put on the paths and pinned in place with more bamboo or privet making paths 30 cm wide,roughly, and holding back the soil 30 cm high on each side

there was already two 3 year old orange trees in the back yard ,no fruit of them so far...possums,that are now in the center of the garden and setting fruit nicely

so far I have planted potatoes tomatoes beans peas zucchini eggplant Tuscan kale winter kale beetroot silver beet carrots onions corn water melon rock melon lettuce strawberries raspberries parsley chilly coriander basil echinacea passion fruit

the paths are in the shape of a pentagon and can be walked in one continuous line...and the POTS fit neatly into the sections... :cool2:
so walk my garden path breathing and praying

COSMIC MIND BLESS YOU ALL

I have tomatoes, garlic, onions, alfalfa, herbs of all persuasions, strawberries and a couple of fruit trees. I've also got several varieties of chilli which I mostly give away.

I dug out a small patch earlier in the year and gave it a good dose of chicken manure and mulched it with sugar cane mulch. There are natural spring around where I live so it doesn't need that much watering.

Tomatoes are flowing already! :thup:

It's wonderful having food in the garden.

Since starting the detox I became more aware of the need to plant more organic food, I have been picking fresh salad leaves, rocket and baby spinach for the past week.

Some time ago I bought some seeds named 'tomato tree', which I planted about 4 weeks ago and now have 45cm stalks, very straight and growing at a gallop, the fruit can be the size of an apple, so I'm looking forward to tasting them later.

I had a reasonable crop of snowpeas (mange tout) but they've died off, is this their cycle or has the severe heat killed them?

I am planting quite a few things in the garden this year. I live in the eastern US and we had a lot of warmer than average temperature days in the last few weeks. The result of this is that the last frost date, which is when most things can be placed in the garden (certain cold-weather crops like peas and lettuce can go earlier) had been moved up about a month. I decided to take advantage of this and start seeds early.

I have a large patio outside my apartment in the city and garden as a hobby. I try for it to be useful so generally I grow only edible plants and flowers. I can't say it's really large enough to supply my needs but it's a good experiment at least. Since it looks like many of my travel plans are falling through for the summer I decided to go gung-ho.

I have started in various size pots beans, beets, broccoli raab, cucumber, kale, lettuces, onions, peas, potatoes, squash, tomatoes, and even some watermelon!
I have a some strawberries growing in a hanging multi-compartment container, a raspberry plant and am searching for a fig tree, which is one of the easier fruits to grow in a container, and also is super expensive to buy packs of at the market.
I also am growing the following herbs: basils, catnip, chamomile, chervil, chives, cilantro, dill, fennel, lavender, lemon balm, mints, oregano, parsley, pennyroyal, rosemary, sages, and thyme. I am looking for a bay plant this year and also an epazote plant (great for cooking with beans, it helps digestion). Last year I
I also have one rosebush that looks like it's come back strong this year, and have planted nasturtium, poppies, marigolds, wallflowers, and sweet peas. The last two types of flowers are not edible but they are highly fragrant (that is if they bloom!)

Gardening is very exciting for me. For the annual vegetables it is exciting to start seeds and see the whole process of germination. Every year I buy a few packs of seeds so with the older ones I never know exactly how many will start, I'm always nervous to see what will work or not. With the perennials (most of the herbs) it is neat to see what's coming back or if anything has died out. My lemon balm was the first to come back this year and was tinged with a beautiful shade of purple to boot. It's also fun to find resources- in my city I found out there are a couple of places to get as much compost as one wants for free, and very recently I found out that the lot across from my building with what looked like a seed-starting operation in the back was rented by a landscaper, who is letting me have leftover pots for free. I'm hoping to give her some of the leftover seed-starts as a trade.

That is an impressive list, let us know how you go with it. Nasturtiums are great in salad, I also found out you can throw dandelions in too.

The couple over the road had their six month plant sale over the weekend. I picked up quite a few flowers such as Salvia and old fashioned daisies. I'm going to have to prune the roses soon and do a lot of weeding.

My girlfriend and I are growing a large garden with friends and we are growing a significant list of things this year. So far we have started indoor: 5 types of tomatoes started including three heirloom types, a multitude of types of chilis and sweet peppers, 2 types of parsley, celery, peanuts, celeriac, sweet potatoes, leeks, basils, lupins, marigold, sunflower, 2 types of eggplant, cauliflower, and romanesco, brussels sprouts. We've recently been planting 3 types peas, parsnips, kohl rabi, everbearing strawberries, beets, 2 kinds of lettuce, mesclun mix, radishes, white and yellow potatoes, 4 types of onion, garlic, carrots, black raspberry, turnip, summer savory, broccoli and kale. From last year we have some Egyptian onions, italian parsley, lemon balm, mullein, 2 types of oregano, comfrey, onion chives, feverfew, angelica, and ladies mantle. Soon to be planting chard, fava beans, a buncha of snap beans, pole beans, kidney beans, watermelons, canteloupe, honeydews, squashes, pumpkins, zucchini, corn, dill, zinnias, flax, hopefully some horseradish, cucumbers, cabbages, new zealand spinach, amaranth, and okra. should be a pretty good yield, we have some nice compost and manure to add in and using companion planting groups to increase the use of space, production, soil benefits, and hopefully some pest control and beneficial insect attraction.

It's going to be a bunch of work but it should be really worth it. This year spring is very warm here in southern ontario, might be able to plant some things out earlier than they're "supposed to" :)

Got my first two strawberries today here on the East Coast US...this HAS to be a record, it's not even May yet. I would post a picture but I ate them before I could get a chance :halo:

Kale, lettuce, onions are doing well along with herbs. It's very near time to do some repotting of seedlings into their final containers, I think this will have to wait until the weekend though. Beans and peas are several inches tall- hopefully they will really take off soon. I planted the peas in mid-March (it's been much warmer than average this year) and the beans around the 1st April.

Some of my flowers (wallflowers and sweet peas) have not really come in, I think the intense rains we got both at various times in March and April may have affected this and washed them away. My marigolds are a little underwhelming also but we shall see. I am quite excited to see chamomile sprouting- I am growing it by seed in my onion beds. Just sprinkled the seeds on the surface, and away we go!

Back
Top Bottom