Two questions

Cyre2067

The Living Force
1.) I've been reading the wave I, and Laura does a wonderful job illustrating the origins of the cass experiment in the first few chapters. I came across a section in which she was bedridden, reading alot and meditating. She then sort of open-endedly asked questions and answers popped in her head... I've done the exact same thing on more then one occasion, mostly innocent posing questions to myself - is this channeling? If so, is it dangerous? My gut says no, but i would like other's opinions on the matter.

2.) Regarding attachments, I've felt on more then one occasion i was "torn" between a decision to do one thing and a decision to do another. Often one of the options feels like its coming from somewhere other then myself (and it doesn't feel like my intuition or gut, that's got a specific signature i can identify) - is this indication of an attachment? I've been training myself to ignore these "foreign" impulses but there existence is what troubles me. With enough will can i eradicate them completely?

Thanks

Oh and Laura - I'm loving the Wave, i read the online verson before the print version and i find the details in the book truely enlightening. I'm still planning a trip to europe, it's shaping up to be sometime in august probably, and still hope to bump into you in France, i'll keep ya posted as my plans progess. My name's Brent btw, don't think i mentioned it before... cyre's my favorite pseudonym. Peace.

Hi Brent,

Regarding your first question, i suggest you keep reading the Wave and you'll find the answer. Laura writes quite a lot on the subject of channeling, and the dangers one is faced with, when ignorant or misunderstanding of hyperdimentional realities. And here i come to your second question: it seems that you begun becoming aware of your predator's mind (a concept used by Castaneda which, if you read the Wave online, you must be familiar with by now). Coming to terms with the concept, "getting it", becoming aware of the predators mind, engaging in constant self-observation thus learning to distinguish it from your real mind, recognizing its voice and defying it, is a long and arduous process, demanding one's full focus, energy, and immense discipline as i understand (for i have a hard time REALLY getting it myself at this point in time, so i feel i write this as much for me as for you). And unless one is able to discern the true from the lie in ones' own mind, is not armed with the preparation and protection necessary for effectively facing the behind the scenes dangers of channeling. "As above, so below" kind of thing. Or so i came to understand this far.

Below is a passage from Castaneda's the Active Side of Infinity, where Don Juan introduces CC to the reality of humanity's imprisonment by the predator in a graspable (to me at least) way:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
... We have a predator that came from the depths of the cosmos and took over the rule of our lives. Human beings are its prisoners. The predator is our lord and master. It has rendered us docile, helpless. If we want to protest, it suppresses our protest. If we want to act independently, it demands that we don't do so [act independently ...] You have arrived, by your effort alone, to what the shamans of ancient Mexico called the topic of topics. I have been beating around the bush all this time, insinuating to you that something is holding us prisoner. Indeed we are held prisoner! This was an energetic fact for the sorcerers of ancient Mexico.

'Why has this predator taken over in the fashion that you're describing, don Juan?' I asked. 'There must be a logical explanation.'

'There is an explanation,' don Juan replied, 'which is the simplest explanation in the world. They took over because we are food for them, and they squeeze us mercilessly because we are their sustenance. Just as we rear chickens in chicken coops, the predators rear us in human coops. Therefore, their food is always available to them.'

I felt that my head was shaking violently from side to side. I could not express my profound sense of unease and discontentment, but my body moved to bring it to the surface. I shook from head to toe without any volition on my part.

'No, no, no, no,' I heard myself saying. 'This is absurd, don Juan. What you're saying is something monstrous. It simply can't be true, for sorcerers or for average men, or for anyone.'

'Why not?' don Juan asked calmly. 'Why not? Because it infuriates you?'

"'Yes, it infuriates me,' I retorted. 'Those claims are monstrous!'[...]

'I want to appeal to your analytical mind, ' don Juan said. 'Think for a moment, and tell me how you would explain the contradiction between the intelligence of man the engineer and the stupidity of his systems of beliefs, or the stupidity of his contradictory behavior. Sorcerers believe that the predators have given us our systems of beliefs, our ideas of good and evil, our social mores. They are the ones who set up our hopes and expectations and dreams of success or failure. They have given us covetousness, greed and cowardice. It is the predators who make us complacent, routinary, and egomaniacal.'

'But how can they do this, don Juan?' I asked, somehow angered further by what he was saying. 'Do they whisper all that in our ears while we are asleep?'

'No, they don't do it that way. That's idiotic!' don Juan said, smiling. 'They are infinitely more efficient and organized than that. In order to keep us obedient and meek and weak, the predators engaged themselves in a stupendous maneuver - stupendous, of course, from the point of view of a fighting strategist. A horrendous maneuver from the point of view of those who suffer it. They gave us their mind! Do you hear me? The predators give us their mind, which becomes our mind. The predators' mind is baroque, contradictory, morose, filled with the fear of being discovered any minute now.

Don Juan continues: 'I know that even though you have never suffered hunger... you have food anxiety, which is none other than the anxiety of the predator who fears that any moment now its maneuver is going to be uncovered and food is going to be denied. Through the mind, which, after all, is their mind, the predators inject into the lives of human beings whatever is convenient for them. And they ensure, in this manner, a degree of security to act as a buffer against their fear.'

"Don Juan had said that by means of discipline it is possible for anyone to bring the energy body closer to the physical body. Normally, the distance between the two is enormous. Once the energy body is within a certain range, which varies for each of us individually, anyone, through discipline, can forge it into the exact replica of their physical body - that is to say, a three-dimensional, solid being. Hence the sorcerers' idea of the other or the double.
By the same token, through the same process of discipline, anyone can forge their three-dimensional, solid, physical body to be a perfect replica of their energy body - that is to say, an ethereal charge of energy invisible to the human eye, as all energy is. [...]

Don Juan explained that sorcerers see infant human beings as strange, luminous balls of energy, covered from the top to the bottom with a glowing coat, something like a plastic cover that is adjusted tightly over their cocoon of energy. He said that that glowing coat of awareness was what the predators consumed, and that when a human being reached adulthood, all that was left of that glowing coat of awareness was a narrow fringe that went from the ground to the top of the toes. That fringe permitted mankind to continue living, but only barely.

...To his knowledge, man was the only species that had the glowing coat of awareness outside that luminous cocoon. Therefore, man becomes easy prey for an awareness of a different order, such as the heavy awareness of the predator.

Is the "heavy awareness of the predator" the "imaginary beliefs of mankind" that are thrust upon us by our "reduced knowledge" state?
He said that this narrow fringe of awareness was the epicenter of self-reflection, here man is irremediably caught. By playing on our self-reflection, which is the only point of awareness left to us, the predators create flares of awareness that they proceed to consume in a ruthless, predatory fashion. They give us inane problems that force those flares of awareness to rise, and in this manner they keep us alive in order for them to be fed with the energetic flare of our pseudoconcerns.

All we can do is discipline ourselves to the point where they will not touch us. How can you ask your fellow men to go through those rigors of discipline?
They'll laugh and make fun of you, and the more aggressive ones will beat the shit out of you. And not so much because they don't believe it. Down in the depths of every human being, there's an ancestral, visceral knowledge about the predators' existence.

What I'm saying is that what we have against us is not a simple predator. It is very smart, and organized. It follows a methodical system to render us useless. Man, the magical being that he is destined to be, is no longer magical. He's an average piece of meat. There are no more dreams for man but the dreams of an animal who is being raised to become a piece of meat: trite, conventional, imbecilic.

The only alternative left for mankind is discipline. Discipline is the only deterrent. But by discipline I don't mean harsh routines. I don't mean waking up every morning at five-thirty and throwing cold water on yourself until you're blue. Sorcerers understand discipline as the capacity to face with serenity odds that are not included in our expectations. For them, discipline is an art: the art of facing infinity without flinching, not because they are strong and tough but because they are filled with awe.

Sorcerers say that discipline makes the glowing coat of awareness unpalatable to the flyer. The result is that the predators become bewildered. An inedible glowing coat of awareness is not part of their cognition, I suppose. After being bewildered, they don't have any recourse other than refraining from continuing their nefarious task.

If the predators don't eat our glowing coat of awareness for a while, it'll keep on growing. Simplifying this matter to the extreme, I can say that sorcerers, by means of their discipline, push the predators away long enough to allow their glowing coat of awareness to grow beyond the level of the toes. Once it goes beyond the level of the toes, it grows back to its natural size.
The sorcerers of ancient Mexico used to say that the glowing coat of awareness is like a tree. If it is not pruned, it grows to its natural size and volume. As awareness reaches levels higher than the toes, tremendous maneuvers of perception become a matter of course.

The grand trick of those sorcerers of ancient times was to burden the flyers mind with discipline. They found out that if they taxed the flyers' mind with inner silence, the foreign installation would flee, giving to any one of the practitioners involved in this maneuver the total certainty of the mind's foreign origin. The foreign installation comes back, I assure you, but not as strong, and a process begins in which the fleeing of the flyers' mind becomes routine, until one day if flees permanently. A sad day indeed! That's the day when you have to rely on your own devices, which are nearly zero.
There's no one to tell you what to do. There's no mind of foreign origin to dictate the
imbecilities you're accustomed to. This is the toughest day in a sorcerer's life, for the real mind that belongs to us, the sum total of our experience, after a lifetime of domination has been rendered shy, insecure, and shifty.
Personally, I would say that the real battle of sorcerers begins at that moment. The rest is merely preparation.

Irini.

Cyre2067 said:
I've done the exact same thing on more then one occasion, mostly innocent posing questions to myself - is this channeling? If so, is it dangerous? My gut says no, but i would like other's opinions on the matter.
For what it's worth, I couldn't channel in the new age sense of having something speak through me if my life depended on it, and I had really tried for a time. Asking questions, posing problems, and commencing a creative act such as writing, painting and/or composing, IMO, is a natural part of human nature. I read an article somewhere that this in fact is considered to be channeling, and that all inspiration is channeling. I simply consider it a leap of insight, that can manifest in an internally verbalized manner, or as an abstract knowedness, or even as a prompting to direct action.

As I see it, if this has a tone that is continuous with who you are, and is not in friction with the rest of you or makes you feel uneasy, it's inspiration. And like anything, just because it's "inspiration" doesn't mean it should be taken at face value. I mean, is it really wise to just act upon anything that pops into our heads, even if it seems like "us"? If the tone hits us as alien, then it should be treated as such. You wouldn't want to be following the dictates of every dirty old man talking in your head, would you?

Personally, I would call the self-compatible version of internal communion/communication a creative opinion that needs to be digested, pondered and evaluated just like anything else encountered. At some point, however, inspirations may accumulate and form a more coherent pattern, as if they seem to be taking us somewhere. We might then choose to follow those impulses cautiously, step by step, if moving beyond where we are is what we always wanted.

Cyre2067 said:
Often one of the options feels like its coming from somewhere other then myself (and it doesn't feel like my intuition or gut, that's got a specific signature i can identify) - is this indication of an attachment? I've been training myself to ignore these "foreign" impulses but there existence is what troubles me. With enough will can i eradicate them completely?
Again, for what it's worth, these "foreign" impulses usually have a point of attachment within. Using will to push them away may only just be pushing them deeper where they can act below levels of conscious awareness. Let me put it another way: attachments can be the source of the foreign impulse or they may act as a relay station of a more general source, which they then channel directly to your awareness through their point of rooting.

It's like a cell-phone tower constantly radiates over a wide area, but you don't absorb the radiation unless you have a cell-phone to concentrate the emanations to your head. So it pays to focus on the attachment and find where in your subconscious or inner being it is attached, and what weakness in you is it manipulating.

Usually, it is a part of yourself that is kept from growing beyond an immature or hypotrophied state due to trauma, karma, mechanistic habituation, or whatever is at the root of internal weakness. And the attachment takes the place of where that growth would have otherwise taken place. It's "survival" then depends on keeping your natural energy immature, and what it proposes usually has that end in mind (simiar to Castaneda's 'flyer', Irini mentioned). It's like a dirty old man piggy backing a child and forcing it to carry it places, eating its food and sapping its energy.

So it pays to discover what is being piggy-backed and to give it the strenghth, understanding and support of your core conscious self so its growth can push the other off. I find the best approach is usually affirming the true parts of ourselves rather than negating the untrue. Claim back the part the attachment is riding, and get feeling back into it, learn from it and its issues, and eventually the parasite will fall off like an old scab, even though it may try to establish itself over and again before it does.

Wow thanks guys. I must admit, I've read that bit by Casteneda before and it didn't "click" as it does now. I do feel now that it isn't an attachment, but it is the predator's mind. Mostly, when the options are being put forth in my head, its something like instant gratification "get drunk, play video games" versus something that has more profound long term utility, "pick up one of my many books to read, meditate, or excercise". Lately i've been working on eradicating my addiction to a particularly tasty green substance, and been having more success recently then i've had in the last year or so.

I was wondering about Casteneda's profession:

The only alternative left for mankind is discipline.... Sorcerers understand discipline as the capacity to face with serenity odds that are not included in our expectations. For them, discipline is an art: the art of facing infinity without flinching, not because they are strong and tough but because they are filled with awe.

Sorcerers say that discipline makes the glowing coat of awareness unpalatable to the flyer....

If the predators don't eat our glowing coat of awareness for a while, it'll keep on growing. Simplifying this matter to the extreme, I can say that sorcerers, by means of their discipline, push the predators away long enough to allow their glowing coat of awareness to grow beyond the level of the toes. Once it goes beyond the level of the toes, it grows back to its natural size.

The sorcerers of ancient Mexico used to say that the glowing coat of awareness is like a tree. If it is not pruned, it grows to its natural size and volume. As awareness reaches levels higher than the toes, tremendous maneuvers of perception become a matter of course.
How does one go about doing that exactly?

My weaknesses include good looking guys that act straight, really good w33d and world of warcraft (video game). I have high standards for both the prior, would discipline entail cutting my exposure to all down to a minimum if not wiping them out completely? I could understand refraining from excess, at that point it becomes a hobby or enjoyed activity as opposed to a habit.

Also the bit on making your energy body an exact duplicate of your physical and visa versa - any specifics on how to do that? I've been doing ALOT of energy work lately, it just seems to happen coincidentally, im sure that aids it indirectly, but anything specific anyone could reccomend?

You Guys Rock :-)

Hi Brent,

You ask: How does one go about doing that exactly?

The answer is in the passage you include in your post.
Now, what do you think this means and how it can be applied in our day to day life?

You write: My weaknesses include good looking guys that act straight, really good w33d and world of warcraft (video game). I have high standards for both the prior, would discipline entail cutting my exposure to all down to a minimum if not wiping them out completely? I could understand refraining from excess, at that point it becomes a hobby or enjoyed activity as opposed to a habit.

I am laughing reading your post and me trying to reply to you, as you are posing questions that i am currently facing. I'll give it a shot though! For the time being, just observe yourself, your behavior and thinking, without judjment. Do not change anything. As Gurdjieff says, learn your machine and it's parts, untill you can be in a position to assert which parts need fixing, replacement, etc. If you tell yourself "i must quit getting drunk" for example, the part that wants to continue getting drunk will become yet stronger, for "what you resist persists". Unless you know the source of each "weakness" and understand it in yourself, it will be hard to get rid of it. You failure in doing so, will probably produce stress and guilt which, not all times but moslty, are counter productive. After you are able to see all your thoughts for what they are, you can act on becoming who you wish to become. OSIT!
EsoQuest's last paragraph is also an answer to this and it reminds me of the Two wolves' story a friend send me once:

A Grandfather from the Cherokee Nation was talking with his grandson.
"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.
"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves."
"One wolf is evil and ugly: He is anger, envy, war, greed, self-pity, sorrow, regret, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, selfishness and arrogance."
"The other wolf is beautiful and good: He is friendly, joyful, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, justice, fairness, empathy, generosity, true, compassion, gratitude, and deep VISION."
"This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other human as well."
The grandson paused in deep reflection because of what his grandfather had just said. Then he finally cried out; "Oyee! Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
The elder Cherokee replied, "The wolf that you feed."
When it comes to discerning our OWN thoughts, from those of the predator, it's much trickier. Because we think the predator's thoughts our own.

As far as energy work is concerned, i am not at all the person to answer. Only be vigilant on the things you yourself don't know much about.

And just to clarify, i don't yet rock, i am still learning to roll ;)

Irini.

Cyre2067 said:
Don Juan said:
Sorcerers understand discipline as the capacity to face with serenity odds that are not included in our expectations. For them, discipline is an art: the art of facing infinity without flinching, not because they are strong and tough but because they are filled with awe.
Well, I have my own ideas, but I think being tuned into Castandeda's view suffices at this point in relation to your question. I read something on another site, something to the effect of place all your beliefs in a pile and walk away, which is a radical thing to do but you can consider it as a release from preconceptions in all encounters with yourself and others.

You see, the predator tries to put you in a mindset of pre-fabricated reality, reality straight off the assembly line, fully formed in its own littel box and all wound up to go. This 'reality-in-a-box' mentality needs to go. It begins with a change in perspective leading to a change in approach. The predator mind-set is also one of military simulator target scanning. Basically, all reality becomes a simulation like a video game where you keep tracking targets, objects, people, events and try to put them in parameters that reflect you and not the reality in mention.

The predator feeds on your emotions through your mindset, so it has to make sure that mindset is finely tuned to its nature. Changing the mindset results in changing your approach to life, and the entity is desynchronized from your energy body. That is because you are learning to make choices it would not. It's like you make a left turn, when it turns right and vice-versa so your ways keep separating until it just loses focus in you.

So do not give up your critical faculties, but give up your preconceptions and embrace beginner's mind, but not amateur's mind or naive's mind. Get used to the feelings that attitude generates.

Discipline is an art. How does one exactly go about art? Go up to a painter, sculptor or musician and ask them: how exactly can one go about being an artist? Years ago my driving instructor told me: "Boy, you know how to operate a vehicle, but you sure as hell don't know how to drive".

Definitions and descriptions can give you hints about operation, but that is a far cry from practicing an art. Face infinity without flinching...as an art. This means there is a lot more involved here than just standing with a stiff upper lip in front of infinity. The key is awe, not strength or toughness, but awe.

Awe is the recognition of the mystery in reality. Infinity is not some experience at the top of the mountain where bushes burn and prophets rave. Infinity is embedded in every moment, and natural awe is its revealer. Don Juan calls it discipline because we are conditioned against it.

In reality it's our natural state. It is not innocence or immaturity, but carries the paradox of experience that does not corrupt new experience before that new experience becomes a part of you. You cannot force awe. It comes with changing your mindset, and it reveals itself little by little. So you realize that relating to reality as an ongoing mystery is an artform and your awe is the connection between you and that mystery.

As you can see, I cannot give an exact answer, but maybe this roundabout one will help if you think on it a bit.

Cyre2067 said:
I have high standards for both the prior, would discipline entail cutting my exposure to all down to a minimum if not wiping them out completely? I could understand refraining from excess, at that point it becomes a hobby or enjoyed activity as opposed to a habit.
Discipline in the sense of dealing with the predator has nothing to do with cutting habits or cutting them down per se. Discipline is changing our approach to those habits, changing your mindset in relation to them, experiencing them as they are and not as the predator wants you to experience them. This includes the "urge" itself as well as the action to which to urge leads. As such habits are super opportunities to learn true discipline. When your perspective changes then the choices you do make will always be the choices the predator would not make.

Unless a habit is undeniably destructive to self and/or others, it has learning potential, and even if it is destructive and should be stopped, it has learning potential, but the stopping takes precedence there because you cannot learn by destroying yourself.

To really stop a habit that limits, you have to experience the whys and hows of that habit's true face, and that is something the predator does not want you to experience. And you need to deeply experience the dynamics of your urge, where it originates in you, how it develops, what it promises, and how it tries to control. In this way you can observe the predator, and you can separate yourself from it (or rather you can feel your nature as separate from it). And the you that is not the predator is the you that can feel the mystery, embedded in the emergence of one moment from the next.

Cyre2067 said:
Also the bit on making your energy body an exact duplicate of your physical and visa versa - any specifics on how to do that? I've been doing ALOT of energy work lately, it just seems to happen coincidentally, im sure that aids it indirectly, but anything specific anyone could reccomend?
IMO opinion you are putting the cart before the horse here a bit. To make your energy body coherent with your physical body implies activating genetic potential that is suppressed by the predator. And this is a spontaneous result of divorcing yourself from the predator. Remove the suppressor and the suppressed begins releasing itself. Remember, science teaches and art applies. You can learn a thousand and one energy maneuvers, and you might still just be an energy body operator. Those are a dime a dozen.

I think you may have your hands full in learning the art of anti-predatorial mind. You have enough technical knowledge of energy body maneuvers that it will naturally evolve into the corresponding art-form it is meant to be as you claim yourself.

Hi Brent,

A couple of things in this regard. One thing I remember Don Juan saying was that you need to strengthen your will by not making promises or resolutions you can't keep. The example Castaneda came up with was his father who kept telling young Carlos that they were going to wake up at 5 am and do something virtuous but when 5 am rolled around his father would go back to sleep. Don Juan said that weakened the will. So you don't have to stop getting drunk and playing video games, but it will set you back if you resolve not to for a period of time, then break that resolution. So rather than doing exercises to strengthen your will, you would avoid doing things that weaken it (and then it will strengthen naturally). A stronger will would then be a prerequisite for increasing discipline.

But Castaneda will only offer so much help (unless you are apprenticing to a shaman or something). Reading Gurdjieff and Mouravieff will give you a lot more practical steps to take, which will keep you from getting too far ahead of yourself. In the example from Castaneda above, Gurdjieff would say that Carlos's father had many 'I's one of which made the resolution to get up early while another 'I' made the call to stay asleep. Fusing the magnetic center is the goal, then, so that you will have one real 'I' but you get there by observing all your 'I's then trying to weaken the 'I' of the personality (and the Predator, which seems to overlap quite a bit with the 'I' of the personality, I think) and allow the weak and passive real 'I' (similar to the glowing coat of awareness, maybe) to be identified and strengthened. Or so I think.

But if you really want to work on those things read Gnosis by Mouravieff and In Search of the Miraculous by Ouspensky (you may already have, but I keep having to re-read them often because of denseness, forgetfulness and general sleep).

Cyre2067 said:
Wow thanks guys. I must admit, I've read that bit by Casteneda before and it didn't "click" as it does now. I do feel now that it isn't an attachment, but it is the predator's mind. Mostly, when the options are being put forth in my head, its something like instant gratification "get drunk, play video games" versus something that has more profound long term utility, "pick up one of my many books to read, meditate, or excercise". Lately i've been working on eradicating my addiction to a particularly tasty green substance, and been having more success recently then i've had in the last year or so.

I was wondering about Casteneda's profession:

The only alternative left for mankind is discipline.... Sorcerers understand discipline as the capacity to face with serenity odds that are not included in our expectations. For them, discipline is an art: the art of facing infinity without flinching, not because they are strong and tough but because they are filled with awe.

Sorcerers say that discipline makes the glowing coat of awareness unpalatable to the flyer....

My weaknesses include good looking guys that act straight, really good w33d and world of warcraft (video game). I have high standards for both the prior, would discipline entail cutting my exposure to all down to a minimum if not wiping them out completely? I could understand refraining from excess, at that point it becomes a hobby or enjoyed activity as opposed to a habit.

You Guys Rock :-)

Actually since i last posted ive had much more easy in identifying that part of my mind. I mean, before it was only like a weak intuitive feeling that this decision or that decision wasn't of me and now its like anytime i get a feeling that comes from that part of my brain it's obvious to me. I've also been doing the self-observation bit, extremely useful, and each time i get that prodding from the pred i just remind myself that overcoming it's influence is extremely important and thus far i've been able to do just that.

Some examples: Was going to goto yoga on monday, however shortly prior i was tired and almost didn't go. So i took a quick powernap and when i woke up i was still feeling like not going, but then i realized i was feeling like that outta laziness or desire to do something instantly gratifying and so i wrote it off as pred influence and went!

When at work i get this "ugh" kinda feeling, but i realize that also comes from the pred. While here i can read SOTT and work on other stuff on the side. I'm also saving $ which allows me to do other growth ops like a trip to europe or nyc/dc on the weekends. Once i realize it the ugh feeling goes away!

Analyzing that part of my mind makes things much more easier to go through with. If i say im going to do this or that earlier in the day and later i get the feeling to bail on it, i realize where its coming from and ignore it. When you actually think that part of yourself is yourself it makes it much more difficult. In this case knowledge really is power, amazing!

Back
Top Bottom