Tupac Shakur

Jennifer said:
John Potash's book "The FBI War on Tupac Shakur and Black Leaders" goes into his death and his family history, his mother and other family members were prominent black panthers so he was pretty much targeted from the get go, until they finally got him. It's a pretty sad story imo, I'd highly recommend the book

Sounds like an excellent book Jennifer thanks for the recommendation.

There are a few good articles on Sott about Tupac's mother and how she is on the FBI's most wanted list :scared: She obviously had an impact on her son in many ways!

Who is Assata Shakur, and why is she on the FBI list of top terrorists?

After three decades in exile as an author and editor in Cuba, Assata Shakur's longtime FBI predator stigmatized her as the first woman on its Most Wanted Terrorists list in May 2013. They upped the bounty on her head to $2 million! Shakur never was and is not now a terrorist. But the FBI appears desperate to intensify its police-state activities and discredit political dissidents, especially Black revolutionaries.

Former Black Panther Assata Shakur added to FBI's most wanted terrorist list

An interview with John Potash about his book: COINTELPRO: The FBI war on Tupac Shakur & black leaders

I think, during his time, 2Pac had a pretty accurate reading of what's going wrong in the world. He wasn't the only one but he was definitely vocal about it in a way that was hard for anyone to ignore once exposed to his music and socio-political commentary.

He knew where to look to describe the problem around him as he saw it:

[quote author=Changes]
Take the
Evil out the people they'll be acting right...[/quote]

And he must have known cognitive dissonance theory, because his lyrics expose the concept of external justification:

[quote author=Changes]
You gotta operate the easy way
"I made
a G today" But you made it in a sleazy way
sellin' crack to the kid. " I
gotta get paid
,"...[/quote]

...and internal justification:

[quote author=Changes]
Well hey, well that's the way it is
[/quote]

So, I think once exposed to his message, people felt a pressure to either do something about the problem as identified, or bury themselves deeper in cognitive dissonance in order to hide from the truth.

I loved listening to Tupac growing up what a genius, changes, ghetto gospel, dear mama,keep your head up, and others got me through tough times his lyrics made me look at the world through different eyes. Ive been listening to him again recently, very sad what happened to him.

Jennifer said:
ramaj said:
I really wonder how he was killed something is fishy about his death in my opinion.

John Potash's book "The FBI War on Tupac Shakur and Black Leaders" goes into his death and his family history, his mother and other family members were prominent black panthers so he was pretty much targeted from the get go, until they finally got him. It's a pretty sad story imo, I'd highly recommend the book

Thanks for this I will check this book out

here's a video on youtube. John Potash "The FBI War on Tupac Shakur and Black Leaders"

https://youtu.be/suBf5zmc6yI

Here's abit more about the book from this thread

findit said:
I highly recommend "The FBI War on Tupac Shakur and Black Leaders" by John Potash. This book is a treasure trove of details explaining intelligence agencies Cointelpro program against activist Black community leaders and celebrities starting with the Black Panthers to the deaths of Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls and continuing to the present date.
The style of writing reminds me of Mae Brussells in the scope of details, names, connections and a step-by-step guide on how to divide and conquer a movement or a person through scandal, lawsuits, imprisonment, propaganda, and murder. After reading this book it becomes a whole lot easier to see the same thing being done on a global stage.
And this from Mr. Potash at the end:

As of February 2008, the FBI and Homeland Security had over 23,000 representatives of private corporations working with them as part of a group called InfraGard. According to InfraGard's website, these members come from 350 of the nation's Fortune 500 companies. Director Robert Mueller told an InfraGard convention, whose members came from 86 chapters nationwide, that they were to alert the FBI of any "suspicious activity or an unusual event." In turn, Mueller said, "they could sic the FBI on 'digruntled employees who will use the knowledge gained on the job against their employers.'"

More importantly, an InfraGard member blew the whistle on a very ominous role spelled out for his group. The whistleblower told The Progressive magazine editor Matthew Rothschild that agents of the FBI and Homeland Security addressed his chapter recently. The whistleblower said the agents told his chapter that "when--not if--martial law is declared, it was our responsibility to protect our portion of the infrastructure, and if we had to use deadly force to protect it, we couldn't be prosecuted."

While the FBI and a national leader of InfraGard denied this claim, Rothschild interviewed another member, Christine Moerke, who confirmed it. A third chapter member, a CEO of a Wisconsin business, wouldn't deny that the agents made these statements, but lauded the InfraGard's "public-private partnership." The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) claims that the FBI folded "22,000 corporate bigwigs...into its domestic surveillance machinery," and that they are beyond the reach of the Freedom of Information Act under the "trade secrets" exemption.

Tupac has also got a collection of poems that were published in a book called "The Rose That Grew From Concrete" I've been reading the poems recently and found them to be quite emotional and reflective, what I took from John Potash's book was that Tupac created this personna to be able to communicate with those around him at the time, but people failed to see that he was so much more than that, I think the poems show a different side to him.
[quote author= Tupac Shakur]

In the Event of My Demise
Dedicated to those curious

In the event if my demise
when my heart can beat no more
I hope that I die for a principle
or a belief that I had lived 4
I will die before my time
Because I feel the shadow's depth
so much I wanted 2 accomplish
Before I reached my death
I have come to grips with the possibility
and wiped the last tear from my eyes
I loved all who were positive
in the event of my demise!

[/quote]

"Fallen star"
4 Huey P. Newton

They could never understand
what u set out 2 do
instead they chose 2
ridicule u
when u got weak
They loved the sight
of your dimming
and flickering starlight
How could they understand what was so intricate
2 be loved by so many, so intimate
they wanted 2 c your lifeless corpse
This way u could not alter the course
of ignorance that they have set
2 make my people forget
what they have done for much 2 long
2 just forget and carry on
I had loved u forever because of who u R
And now I mourn our fallen star

Another video I found on youtube of Tupac when he was just 17, it's quite long but towards the end(around 20mins in) he starts to discuss his political views, living in poverty the activist work he did and about restarting the black panther movement.

https://youtu.be/u19HmKx69GE

I was never a fan of when rap went gangsta. It was engineered by rich white men in Los Angeles, pretty much.

However, Tupac did have a lot of insights!

I saw a comedy show 2 months ago and a comedian made a good point.

Harper Lee, who wrote to Kill a Mockingbird, wrote one other book recently after a LONG hiatus. She got praise and respect.

But Tupac did 100x of what she did and half the time he was in jail! LOL!

Today I came across this series that was recently uploaded to Netflix (although it was launched a year ago I think), I was never fan of this guys nor rap, but thought it's interesting as to how things developed, and I think still today things are in the air as to what actually happened.

Just started watching it and thought some of you might enjoy it:

Chris Rock said Martin Luther King assassinated, Malcom X assassinated. He referred to Tupac and Notorious BIG, those guys got shot.

Back
Top Bottom