Trump era: Fascist dawn, or road to liberation?

July 21, 2020 - The United States is conducting two military exercises in Asian waters this week involving allies Japan, Australia and India, the U.S. navy said on Tuesday.

I wondered what was behind Scott Morrisons holiday in Hawaii during the bushfires and when I was looking for potential connections to that trip in the coronavirus timeline, it occurred to me that once he was in US territory he could have been moved anywhere in the US for meetings on military transport. We have the idea being spread here that China is a threat, news that China has apparently hacked Aus govt computers and yet our navy is heading to Hawaii for military exercises after those in Asian waters. There's something that doesn't add up about that. If China was really a threat, you'd think our best defence would be to keep our navy ships here.

An Australian Joint Task Group, led by HMAS Canberra, has joined up with the USS Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group and a Japanese destroyer for a "trilateral exercise" ahead of larger-scale war games in Hawaii.

The other thing about that is that China has a $500 million 99 year lease on the Port of Darwin in the Northern Territory that started in 2015 and that Scott Morrison claimed to have not known about in 2017 when he was federal treasurer.

I don't know how he didn't know, it was all over the news in 2015 and there was outcry amongst the public then.

As you post video clips, I think many here would appreciate if you provide a short description of what they are about. There’s so much information flying around, and a few lines telling the main take aways would save some precious time. Thanks in advance!
Everything is in the title. I don't always have time to start explaining what I'm posting, I share what seems important, I take 3 hours to listen to read and listen to shows and I am sometimes on several topics to work on to see whether or not it's relevant

Everything is in the title. I don't always have time to start explaining what I'm posting, I share what seems important, I take 3 hours to listen to read and listen to shows and I am sometimes on several topics to work on to see whether or not it's relevant

Plenty of members are in the same position of taking time to read and listen. Some have less time, but the information in the video or link may still be important for them. If we take a bit of time to write up a brief overview with major points outlined, others who may have less time than us can then decide if they want to take the time to watch the video or if the overview gives enough information. It would be a shame for potentially good information to be missed for the lack of a written overview.

Also in writing up an overview, we can clarify our own thoughts and understanding for ourselves. Sometimes this raises other questions that researching the answers to might turn up something helpful.

Susy7, please re-read fabric's and Jones' posts above, ok? Just one or two lines are enough. Many people simply won't click on your links unless you say something about it, because they too, have very little time on their hands. Thank you.

Susy7, please re-read fabric's and Jones' posts above, ok? Just one or two lines are enough. Many people simply won't click on your links unless you say something about it, because they too, have very little time on their hands. Thank you.
Yes, I think this is a good convention to comment on why we linking to specific content and what we gain after we read linked content, in a few words.

Writing one sentence for "why." And one sentence on "what" we will have from this.

I don't know exactly what the International implications/repercussions might be involved in willfully breaking into a Chinese Consulate on U.S. soil but on a "moral level" - it's sheer stupidity on the part of the U.S. State Department? It was bad enough when Obama ordered Russian Consulates closed and evicted some of the Staff from American soil during the height of the Christmas-New Years Holidays and now this happens on Trump's watch?

US officers force open rear door of Chinese consulate in Houston following closure order
Chinese consulate in Houston has rear door prised open following closure: Getty Images

Chinese consulate in Houston has rear door prised open following closure: Getty Images

July 25, 2020 -Law enforcement officials were seen forcing open a door at the Chinese consulate in Houston shortly after the US-imposed deadline for its closure took effect.

The group, who were accompanied by a State Department official, pried open a rear door and went inside without responding to questions from reporters.

Chinese officials were ordered to leave by 4pm on Friday amid escalating tensions between Beijing and the Trump administration, which said the consulate had been "a hub of spying and intellectual property theft".

The officers did not reveal to reporters where they were from, but one member of the group appeared to be Cliff Seagroves, the State Department's top official for foreign missions.

A State Department spokesperson declined to answer questions about Mr Seagroves or the group's activity at the consulate.

After the men went inside, two uniformed members of the State Department's Bureau of Diplomatic Security arrived to guard the door. They did not respond to questions.

The Chinese embassy in Washington did not respond to a request for comment.

Consulate staff had exited the Houston building shortly after 4pm and left in vehicles before the door was forced open, according to a witness.

Following Washington's announcement of the Chinese consulate's closure, Beijing in a tit-for-tat response ordered the shutting down of the US consulate in the city of Chengdu.

On Saturday, a consulate emblem inside the Chengdu compound was taken down and staff could be seen moving about. Three removal vans later entered the compound.

Police gathered outside and closed off the street to traffic. The US consulate was given 72 hours to close, or until 10am on Monday, the editor of China's Global Times tabloid said on Twitter.

Relations between Washington and Beijing have deteriorated this year to what experts say is their lowest level in decades over issues ranging from trade and technology to the novel coronavirus, China's territorial claims in the South China Sea and its clampdown on Hong Kong.

China accuses US of improperly entering Houston consulate
BEIJING July 25, 2020 — China’s foreign ministry complained Saturday that American law enforcement officials improperly entered its consulate in Houston, which was ordered to close in an escalating diplomatic feud.

The ministry gave no details, but U.S. federal agents checked the consulate's doors and a locksmith was seen working on a lock Friday after Chinese diplomats left ahead of a 4 p.m. deadline to close.

The Trump administration ordered the Houston consulate closed this week, saying Chinese agents tried to steal medical and other research in Texas. Beijing responded by ordering Washington to close its consulate in the southwest Chinese city of Chengdu.

“As for the U.S. side’s forcible entry into the premises of the Chinese Consulate General in Houston, China expresses strong dissatisfaction and resolute opposition,” said a foreign ministry statement. “China will make a proper and necessary response to this.”

The statement said that the Houston consulate was Chinese property, and that under diplomatic treaties American officials had no right to enter.

Beijing Slams Forced U.S. Entry to China’s Houston Consulate

U.S.-China diplomatic tensions continued to simmer on Saturday as Beijing slammed the “forced entry” to its Houston consulate by U.S. personnel hours earlier and vowed to respond “as necessary.”

Federal agents and local law enforcement authorities broke into the consulate building late Friday, according to the Houston Chronicle and CNN, after issuing an order on July 21 that it must close within 72 hours.

The newspaper reported that among the personnel on site were some wearing shirts carrying the words “U.S. Department of State.” Agents tried three different entrances at the compound before prying open a back door, the Chronicle reported.

Beijing said that U.S. had broken diplomatic conventions by entering “China’s national property.”

“According to the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations and the Sino-U.S. Consular Treaty, the United States must not infringe on the premises of the Chinese Consulate in Houston in any way,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said in an a Q&A posted on the ministry’s website late on Saturday.

From observations over the last few years, I'm of the opinion that one of the biggest problems with the U.S. Government - from the local level to Washington, D.C. is "oversight and accountability" in holding Public Office. Embezzlement of funds is high on that list. Several months ago, the Mayor of my city was charged with embezzlement of Public funds and other charges. He stepped down from Office but there has been no arrest - just paperwork through the Courts. How does that happen? If you are caught stealing "anything" from a store, even if it's a dollar or less - you are immediately arrested and held for a Court appearance that can take weeks before it's scheduled. Yet, if you are "in Politics" and hold even an entry level position - you are free to go about your normal daily activities - even if the individual stole "hundred's of thousand's of dollars" for personal gain? No, I don't get it! Although it is obvious that there are double standards in place for those who hold Political and Government positions.

Here's another case in point that filtered down to the local news outlets:
Tennessee state senator charged with stealing federal funds

MEMPHIS, Tenn. July 29, 2020 — A Tennessee state senator has been charged with stealing more than $600,000 in federal funds received by a health care company she directed and using the money to pay for her wedding and other personal expenses, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.

A criminal complaint unsealed Wednesday charges state Sen. Katrina Robinson with theft and embezzlement involving government programs and wire fraud, U.S. Attorney D. Michael Dunavant said in a news release.

Robinson, a Democrat elected to the General Assembly in 2018 from a Memphis district, is also the director of The Healthcare Institute, which provides training for jobs in the health care field, prosecutors said.

From 2015 through 2019, Robinson stole more than $600,000 and used it to pay for her wedding and honeymoon, a 2016 Jeep Renegade for her daughter, travel and entertainment for her family, and an event for her state Senate campaign, prosecutors said.

She also used the money to pay for legal fees for her divorce, home improvements and a snow cone business operated by her children, prosecutors said.

If convicted, Robinson faces a possible sentence of up to 20 years in federal prison. Robinson would be up for re-election in 2022.

Robinson, who is Black, said she will continue serving her district in the Senate “with the same integrity, the same passion that I've demonstrated since you've elected me to this office.” “It is believed that if I were not in the position that I'm in, that if I did not champion the voices, the views and the faces that I represent, that I would not be in this moment right now,” Robinson said.

Robinson also spent thousands on credit card payments, hair and beauty supplies, and improvements to her body aesthetics business and her house, including a wrought iron front door valued at more than $5,000, the FBI said.

She also spent more than $4,700 on makeup, video services and a party for her wedding, and $5,000 on a trip to Jamaica, the FBI said.

Over a four-year period, Robinson paid herself $169,134 more than she was allowed to under salary amounts permitted by the federal grant, the affidavit said.

The criminal complaint details the charges against Robinson and the facts that support the allegations. A federal grand jury will also decide whether to formally indict her.

Back
Top Bottom