Trump era: Fascist dawn, or road to liberation?

angelburst29

The Living Force
President Donald Trump threatened on Tuesday to veto this year’s National Defense Authorization Act, objecting to plans to strip Confederate names from military bases, limit spending on Afghanistan and other provisions he sees as curbing his authority.

Trump threatens defense bill veto over Confederate names, Afghan policy

July 21, 2020 - The sweeping $740 billion NDAA sets policy for the Department of Defense. It has passed for 59 straight years, one of the few major pieces of legislation seen as “must-pass” because it governs everything from pay raises for the troops to how many aircraft should be purchased or how best to compete with rivals like Russia and China.

The Republican-led Senate and Democratic-led House of Representatives are debating amendments to the NDAA this week. The two chambers will each pass a version of the bill and then come up with a compromise version, which - if it passes - would be sent to Trump to sign or veto later this year.

A spokesman for the Pentagon said he expected Congress and the White House would work out their differences. “They understand the importance of the NDAA, and we’re confident... the NDAA will be signed and implemented on time so that we can have a budget for our forces,” he said.

Trump had already vowed to veto the NDAA over a provision requiring the military to rename bases named for Confederate military leaders, who fought against U.S. forces during the Civil War.

The names of those bases, and statues honoring men who owned slaves or fought on the pro-slavery side, have been targeted in anti-racism protests across the United States - and the world - since George Floyd was killed by police in Minneapolis in May.

The Senate on Tuesday defeated an NDAA amendment that would have blocked the Pentagon from transferring to local police military-grade equipment that has been used against demonstrators.

Pompeo arrives in Downing Street for meeting with PM Johnson

* Pompeo and Johnson discussed China's actions in Hong Kong and Xinjiang

* Pompeo says hopes for quick free trade deal with UK

* Pompeo congratulates Britain on decision to drop Huawei

* U.S. wants to build coalition to counter China's 'disgraceful' menace, Pompeo says (Video)

U.S. holds naval exercises with allies in Asia amid China tension

July 21, 2020 - The United States is conducting two military exercises in Asian waters this week involving allies Japan, Australia and India,
the U.S. navy said on Tuesday.

The exercises come as military rivalry between the United States and China is intensifying and days after the United States said China’s claims of sovereignty in the disputed South China Sea were illegal.

The United States has long opposed China’s expansive territorial claims on the South China Sea, sending warships regularly through the strategic waterway to demonstrate freedom of navigation.

China opposes such exercises and said the U.S. rejection of its claims in the South China Sea raised tension and undermined stability in the region.

The USS Nimitz and the USS Ronald Reagan were deployed to the South China Sea twice this month but this week, the Nimitz was in the Indian Ocean for exercises with the Indian navy, the U.S. navy said, in the latest sign of growing cooperation between the forces.

Rear Admiral Jim Kirk, commander of the Nimitz Carrier Strike Group, said in a statement that Monday’s drills with the Indian navy helped improve the interoperability of their forces.

“While operating together, the U.S. and Indian naval forces conducted high-end exercises designed to maximize training and interoperability, including air defense,” the U.S. navy said.

India’s relations with China have also been strained after a deadly clash on their disputed border in the Himalayas last month, prompting calls in India for closer security ties with the United States and its allies including Japan.

The drills were carried out near India’s Andaman and Nicobar islands, off the north end of the Malacca Straits, one of the world’s busiest shipping routes for trade and fuel, an Indian source said. India has a military base on the islands.

The U.S. navy said the Nimitz Carrier Strike Group was in the Indian Ocean in support of a free and open Indo-Pacific region.

Separately, the U.S. strike group led by the Ronald Reagan was carrying out drills with naval forces from Japan and Australia in the Philippine Sea, U.S. and Australian officials said on Tuesday.

The exercises are due to end on July 23, Australia’s defence department said. Later this year, the United States will hold naval exercises with India and Japan in the Bay of Bengal and Australia might join.

Coronavirus complicates South Korea, U.S. military exercises

July 20, 2020 - South Korea and the United States are trying to agree on the scale, scope and timing of annual military exercises with the novel coronavirus threatening to disrupt the travel of U.S. troops, South Korean officials said on Tuesday.

South Korean Defence Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo and U.S. Defence Secretary Mark Esper had a telephone call on Tuesday but could not decide on details of the exercises, which usually begin in early August, officials said.

U.S. President Donald Trump has questioned the value of the drills and in 2018 even suggested to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that he would end them.

There are about 28,000 U.S. troops in South Korea.

Jeong and Esper did not discuss any withdrawal of U.S. soldiers, the South Korean official said, dismissing as “groundless” a recent Wall Street Journal report that the Pentagon had offered the White House options to reduce the U.S. military presence in South Korea.

Jones

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
July 21, 2020 - The United States is conducting two military exercises in Asian waters this week involving allies Japan, Australia and India, the U.S. navy said on Tuesday.

I wondered what was behind Scott Morrisons holiday in Hawaii during the bushfires and when I was looking for potential connections to that trip in the coronavirus timeline, it occurred to me that once he was in US territory he could have been moved anywhere in the US for meetings on military transport. We have the idea being spread here that China is a threat, news that China has apparently hacked Aus govt computers and yet our navy is heading to Hawaii for military exercises after those in Asian waters. There's something that doesn't add up about that. If China was really a threat, you'd think our best defence would be to keep our navy ships here.

An Australian Joint Task Group, led by HMAS Canberra, has joined up with the USS Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group and a Japanese destroyer for a "trilateral exercise" ahead of larger-scale war games in Hawaii.

The other thing about that is that China has a $500 million 99 year lease on the Port of Darwin in the Northern Territory that started in 2015 and that Scott Morrison claimed to have not known about in 2017 when he was federal treasurer.

I don't know how he didn't know, it was all over the news in 2015 and there was outcry amongst the public then.

susy7

Jedi Master
As you post video clips, I think many here would appreciate if you provide a short description of what they are about. There’s so much information flying around, and a few lines telling the main take aways would save some precious time. Thanks in advance!
Everything is in the title. I don't always have time to start explaining what I'm posting, I share what seems important, I take 3 hours to listen to read and listen to shows and I am sometimes on several topics to work on to see whether or not it's relevant

Jones

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Everything is in the title. I don't always have time to start explaining what I'm posting, I share what seems important, I take 3 hours to listen to read and listen to shows and I am sometimes on several topics to work on to see whether or not it's relevant

Plenty of members are in the same position of taking time to read and listen. Some have less time, but the information in the video or link may still be important for them. If we take a bit of time to write up a brief overview with major points outlined, others who may have less time than us can then decide if they want to take the time to watch the video or if the overview gives enough information. It would be a shame for potentially good information to be missed for the lack of a written overview.

Also in writing up an overview, we can clarify our own thoughts and understanding for ourselves. Sometimes this raises other questions that researching the answers to might turn up something helpful.

Chu

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member

Susy7, please re-read fabric's and Jones' posts above, ok? Just one or two lines are enough. Many people simply won't click on your links unless you say something about it, because they too, have very little time on their hands. Thank you.

Luks

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Susy7, please re-read fabric's and Jones' posts above, ok? Just one or two lines are enough. Many people simply won't click on your links unless you say something about it, because they too, have very little time on their hands. Thank you.
Yes, I think this is a good convention to comment on why we linking to specific content and what we gain after we read linked content, in a few words.

Writing one sentence for "why." And one sentence on "what" we will have from this.

Top Bottom