Tribute to Planet Earth šŸŒŽ ā™„ļø

Many are not because otherwise they were not allowed to compete in the photo contests. Next time I will share the names and the contest here so others can look it up. So if you have any doubts about that then the judges missed something. These people take literally hundreds or even thousands of photos of the exact same location. Often day after day. Even coming back in different seasons and weather conditions to capture a different feel. Then you also get very unique photos.

Oh wait, some manipulation is allowed, but not much:

12. The content of a picture must not be altered by adding, rearranging, reversing, distorting or removing people and/or objects from within the frame. There are two exceptions:
  • Cropping that removes extraneous details is permitted;
  • Removing sensor dust or scratches on scans of negatives is permitted. (See the guidance on what counts as manipulation for details on what is, or is not, acceptable.)
13. Adjustments of color or conversion to grayscale that do not alter content are permitted, with two exceptions:
  • Changes in color may not result in significant changes in hue, to such an extent that the processed colors diverge from the original colors.
  • Changes in density, contrast, color and/or saturation levels that significantly alter content by obscuring or eliminating information in the picture are not permitted. The jury determines which changes are significant, following the video guidance on what counts as manipulation.

Many are not because otherwise they were not allowed to compete in the photo contests. Next time I will share the names and the contest here so others can look it up. So if you have any doubts about that then the judges missed something. These people take literally hundreds or even thousands of photos of the exact same location. Often day after day. Even coming back in different seasons and weather conditions to capture a different feel. Then you also get very unique photos.

It is one of the wonderful thingsā€¦

to return to the same spots to do photography. I personally love it, and do it, because it letā€™s me mentally sink in deeper, connect deeper to the motives, landscape, the shapes and forms i see (because i often fail to do so the first time, likely because i get too carried away)

Kind of like watching a movie first time vs second time. It is when i watch the second time, the details emerge as you connect deeper.

I deeply admire how some landscape photographers work. I admire their patience and eye. No doubt !

Photo contests

i am sure that when you participate in photo contests, that there rules and margins - so some techniques are allowed (contrast, correction, color balance etc) - because you simply canā€™t avoid it with digital material. I mean when you have digital RAW files - you have to decide the kind of color balance for example. It is not been done for you, and the RAW file has no defined/fixed color balance. (Just to mention one factor)

So digital material always has to have some margins for doing corrections in photo that participate in photo contests. And those can be used in effective ways which enhances the expression in a photo.

ah. I missed your second post Bjorn. Yes exactly. Some manipulation is allowed but not much. That is the standard rule for contests

Last edited:
Photo contests

i am sure that when you participate in photo contests, that there rules and margins - so some techniques are allowed (contrast, correction, color balance etc) - because you simply canā€™t avoid it with digital material. I mean when you have digital RAW files - you have to decide the kind of color balance for example. It is not been done for you, and the RAW file has no defined/fixed color balance. (Just to mention one factor)

So digital material always has to have some margins for doing corrections in photo that participate in photo contests. And those can be used in effective ways which enhances the expression in a photo.

From what I understand is that the coloration must stay more or less the same. So they don't differ that much from the original? But you clearly know more about it than I do

For example, I believe I posted 2 photo's of this contest here before:

IN PICS| From 'Chaos Over Kansas' To 'Magical Night'; Check Award Winning Landscape Images

After receiving over 3,800 entries this year, winners of 2020 International Landscape Photographer Of the Year were announced. Here are 10 mesmerizing images.

I didn't share this one from Isabella Tabacchi, but I really like it.

The life and the Volcano, Vilyuchik stratovolcano with yellow rhododendrons in the foreground, Kamchatka. 3rd Place.

IN PICS From 'Chaos over Kansas' to 'Magical Night'; check award winning landscape images.png

It is one of the wonderful thingsā€¦

This page is one of my favorite. They are pictures of forests but taken in a very mystical and fairy-tale way look. The page is called Divine Forests. They are, however, photos submitted by random people. So to what extent they have been edited, I do not know.

I think you'll also like this page. šŸ˜

Although then you have to have Instagram to see it all.

This page is one of my favorite. They are pictures of forests but taken in a very mystical and fairy-tale way look. The page is called Divine Forests. They are, however, photos submitted by random people. So to what extent they have been edited, I do not know.

I think you'll also like this page. šŸ˜

Although then you have to have Instagram to see it all.

I have no social media of any kind

so I canā€™t access it (other than the first 20 or so - but already those are amazing).
But i believe you Bjorn - and the images you and others have shown in this threat - are simply beyond beautiful.

It is like visiting an oasis, showing so many wonders in this world through the eyes of cameras/lenses/photographers and tastefully interpret. I have no problem with that - on the contrary ! Not to mention it is inspiring from many angles.

šŸ’•

Supercell Thunderstorm Cloud

"Meanwhile...in west Texas, storm chaser Laura Rowe captured the picture of a lifetime last night (May 17, 2021), with this fantastic shot of a mature supercell thunderstorm, illuminated at varying heights from the setting sun"

It is of course over processed, and the fine details in the clouds have been way exaggerated... But you know what ? I love the dramatic tone in what is after all a dramatic cloud phenomena; such as thunderstorms and supercells.

Meanwhile...in-west-Texas,-storm-chaser-Laura-Rowe-captured-the-picture-of-a-lifetime-last-nig...jpg

I think indeed that many photos here are photoshopped (to various degrees)

I agree with XPan. Probably the majority is photoshopped but it isn't always a bad thing.

From my experience, many people associate Photoshop only with heavy manipulations. Few people know that it can be used to make a photo more realistic too. Camera sensors have limitations and cannot reproduce an image as accurately as the human eye perceives it. For example, you can try to capture sunset, but when you compare the picture taken with what you see, it will probably be different from the original scene.

Personally, I often use Photoshop to enhance photos to make them look closer to what I saw and how I perceived the scene while taking a photo.

To give an example, here are two versions of the same photo. The first one is raw image without any processing. The second one, I enhanced in Photoshop in such a way to make the colors and contrast closer to what I have witnessed that night.

stars01_raw.png

stars01.png

Horror pictures, for a change.

The scary and uncomfortable things are also part of life. It can help us realize the good and beautiful things we might normally leave unappreciated. And horror stories can be kind of exciting. In search of the unknown and all that. Anything that can make us curious. So...

The dark Hedges, Northern Ireland.

EzK6A69VoAgPX7x.jpg

Deserted in the woods

E0njIhZVcAEhwb8.jpg

Abandoned Clown Train in Umoja Childrenā€™s Park, Tanzania, Africa

EzKE91PVUAUBsah.jpg

Back
Top Bottom