Tony Bushby "Bible Fraud"

Maybe this should be under Political Ponerology? (Switch if you want.)

Are you familiar with the Australian author, Tony Bushby? One of his books is The Bible Fraud.
Recently found this article, The Forged Origins of the New Testament, on these sites:
_http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/NewTestament.html
_http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel.cfm?channelid=98&contentid=4440&page=1

If the referenced detailed history is true, it's startling but not surprising. (Hard to be surprised these days.)
Uproarious church councils, endless tracking-down of burnable texts, fascinating centuries-long bs/MK effort....
I found the expected evangelical criticisms and dismissals by Googling, but don't have the patience to wade through it all.

Other articles of interest by same author:
The Criminal History of the Papacy - Part 1
_http://loveforlife.com.au/node/1030
The Criminal History of the Papacy - Part 2
_http://altnews.com.au/drop/node/7650
The Criminal History of the Papacy - Part 3
_http://loveforlife.com.au/node/1032

And this tidbit: Pope John Paul II - Zyklon B Salesman
_http://www.remnantofgod.org/JohnPaul2cyn.htm

ps - And, while on the subject, guess I should mention another article on more recent roman church history -
The Vatican's Holocaust by Avro Manhattan - the Serbian Orthodox genocide during WWII. Find here:
_http://www.reformation.org/holocaus.html
[OOPS - guess that one was a previous post - http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=823

That oughtta be enough to make anyone toss, if not make one's head explode...

Yes, but before we explode our heads it's good to sniff around a bit :)

www.remnantofgod.org said:
John Paul II 1978- 2005 "In the early 1940`s, the I.G. Farben Chemical Company employed a Polish salesman who sold cyanide to the Nazis for use in Auschwitz. The same salesman also worked as a chemist in the manufacture of the poison gas. This same cyanide gas along with Zyklon B and malathion was used to exterminate millions of Jews and other groups. Their bodies were then burned to ashes in the ovens. After the war the salesman, fearing for his life, joined the Catholic Church and was ordained a priest in 1946. One of his closest friends was Dr. Wolf Szmuness, the mastermind behind the Nov./78 to Oct./79 and March/80 to Oct./81 experimental hepatitis B vaccine trials conducted by the Center for Disease Control in New York, San Francisco and four other American cities that loosed the plague of AIDS upon the American people. The salesman was ordained Poland`s youngest bishop in 1958. After a 30-day reign his predecessor was assassinated and our ex-cyanide gas salesman assumed the papacy as POPE JOHN PAUL II." -William Cooper, BEHOLD A PALE HORSE, (Light Technology Publishing, 1991), pp.89-90.
Sometimes using search function will suffice: William Cooper

I also found this:

Gavin C. Schmitt said:
The claim Karol Wojtyla (John Paul II) worked for Farben in his youth is one of the more widespread rumors on the Internet about this pope. Yet despite the repetition of this “fact" over and over again, I have yet to read anywhere that cites a source backing up this assertion. No papal resume, no Farben employment records, no witness statements from co-workers. Quite simply, no shred of evidence to validate these claims.

John Paul was an orphan by 1941 having lost his parents and a brother. He was 21 years old. Contrary to being a Nazi supporter, official histories tell of John Paul’s “intensive" connections to the Jewish community in Krakow, Poland. Furthermore, being a Roman Catholic was not a favorable decision in the eyes of the Nazi regime who had imprisoned numerous priests. During the war, he worked in a quarry (1940-1944) and at the Solvay chemical factory. While at this time I am unclear what this chemical factory was, there is no reason to believe the factory was connected to Farben seeing as John Paul was Polish and the company (Farben) was German.

John Paul’s primary preoccupation during the German occupation of Poland? Preparing himself mentally, spiritually and physically to become a priest. Shortly after the war in November 1946 he was ordained a Roman Catholic priest (having been at the seminary in Krakow since 1942, studying under Cardinal Adam Stefan Sapieha).
Nazis Using Cyanide Gas in Extermination Camps

Saying that the Nazis used “cyanide gas" in the death camps is technically incorrect or at the very least somewhat vague. What they actually used was a chemical called Zyklon-B. A minor difference, but for a source to be reliable they should at least know their facts.

Cyanide gas (more technically called hydrogen cyanide) is actually relatively common. The gas is present in vehicle exhaust and also in the smoke from cigarettes and other tobacco products. The gas can come from burning plastics or even in house fires - many “smoke inhalation" deaths are due to cyanide poisoning. The gas is colorless and smells faintly like bitter almonds. Prussic acid gives off hydrogen cyanide and people who commit suicide by ingesting “cyanide pills" will have the almond smell around them. The lethal dose of cyanide is 50mg.

Zyklon-B was a pesticide that gave off cyanide gas, but was not cyanide gas itself (so to say the Nazis bought “cyanide" is incorrect). This product was actually in pellet form, and was kept in airtight containers where it was stable. Once exposed to air, the pellets would react and give off the cyanide gas. Originally the Nazis used this gas in concentration camps to kill lice, but already by 1941 it had become prominent at Auschwitz. Ironically, the inventor of Zyklon-B was Fritz Haber - a German Jew.

Even if we give Alamo the benefit of the doubt and substitute “Zyklon-B" for “cyanide gas" , the fact remains this product was most likely not sold to the Nazis by John Paul II. IG Farben and the German government already had a very close working relationship well before the war. For a thorough history of IG Farben during the Hitler regime, I recommend Joseph Borkin’s “The Crime and Punishment of IG Farben" .

source - hxxp://framingbusiness.net/2005/john-paul-ii-and-the-holocaust/

One of the more persuasive aspects of Bushby's article is his use of orthodox Catholic sources to provide a refutation of the authenticity of the bible.

As you might imagine, Bushby's writings do draw fire from orthodox Christians. But not nearly as much fire as you might expect since he is essentially providing chapter and verse for the witting falsification of one of the central pillars of so-called western civilization - Christianity. Yet in spite of the absence of any proof that the key figure in Christianity ever existed (there are good reasons to discount the veracity of Josephus) millions of supposedly intelligent and educated people worldwide see no problem in believing in Christianity and the views of church hierarchy. Yet if you asked them to believe in flying pigs they would insist on seeing proof!

Does this apparently immense capacity in humans for self-delusion (some might call that self-delusion faith) betray an easily manipulated character flaw in our makeup? Maybe that we are too quick to sacrifice our critical faculties in order to 'believe' in a nicely camouflaged falsehood?

I bought the book in 2001 and read it.

As I usually do when reading a book by an "unvetted" author, I began checking the notes and sources etc.

On page 29 of Bushby's book he writes:

The talmud writers mentioned Jesus' name twenty times and quite specifically documented that he was born an illegitimate son of a Roman soldier called Panthera, nicknamed the 'Panther'. Panthera's existence was confirmed by the discovery of a mysterious tombstone at Bingerbruck in Germany. The engraving etched in the headstone read:

Tiberius Julius abdes Panthera, an archer, native of Sidon, Phoenicia, who in 9 AD was transferred to service in Rhineland (Germany). 1
So, I go to the endnotes and find the reference to be: "Jesus the Magician," by Professor Morton Smith, 1978...

So, let's check the quote.

I happened to have Morton Smith's book on hand and pulled it off the shelf. I found the reference, only it was a bit different from the way Bushby presented it. Here's exactly what Morton writes:

"To suppose the name Pantera appeared as a caricature of a title not yet in use is less plausible than to suppose it handed down by polemic tradition. It was not a very common name, but we do know of a Sidonian archer, Tiberius Julius Abdes Pantera, who was serving in Palestine about the time of Jesus' birth and later saw duty on the Rhine. It is possible, though not likely, that his tombstone from Bingerbruck is our only genuine relic of the Holy Family."
Noticing that Bushby had created a quoted tombstone and made a reference to a book that he got it from, that wasn't quite as he presented it, worried me a bit.

I'm sure that he thought that the information from Smith's book could very well be presented as a "direct quote" from the tombstone. But, the fact is, we do not know exactly what the tombstone said and how Smith or other scholars came by their information. For all we know, there was a name on a tombstone, and a list of soldiers in other records and the two were matched together.

So, I went looking for the evidence of the tombstone.

What I found was that the "evidence of the tombstone" comes from rather questionable, (in my mind) sources. It is from a book by a couple of blokes named McDowell & Wilson and here is the quote:

"... Scholars have debated at length how Jesus came to have this name (i.e., ben Pandira) attached to his. Strauss thought it was from the Greek word pentheros, meaning 'son-in-law.' Klausner and Bruce accept the position that panthera is a corruption of the Greek parthenos meaning 'virgin.' Klausner says, 'The Jews constantly heard that the Christians (the majority of whom spoke Greek from the earliest times) called Jesus by the name "Son of the Virgin"... and so, in mockery, they called him Ben ha-Pantera, i.e., "son of the leopard."'[...]

"The theory most sensational but least accepted by serious scholars was dramatized by the discovery of a first century tombstone at Bingerbruck, Germany. The inscription read, 'Tiberius Julius Abdes Pantera, an archer, native of Sidon, Phoenicia, who in 9 c.e. was transferred to service in Germany.'...

"This discovery fueled the fire of the theory that Jesus was the illegitimate son of Mary and the soldier, Panthera. Even Origen writes that his opponent, Celsus, in circa A.D. 178, said that he heard from a Jew that 'Miriam' had become pregnant by 'Pantheras,' a Roman soldier; was divorced by her husband, and bore Jesus in secret.

"If 'Pantheras' were a unique name, the theory of Mary's pregnancy by the Roman soldier might be more attractive to scholars. But Adolf Deissman, the early twentieth-century German New Testament scholar, verified, by first century inscriptions, 'with absolute certainty that Panthera was not an invention of Jewish scoffers, but a widespread name among the ancients.'... Rabbi and Professor Morris Goldstein comments that it was as common as the names Wolf or Fox today. He comments further:

"It is noteworthy that Origin himself is credited with the tradition that Panther was the appellation of James (Jacob), the father of Jospeh, the father of Jesus [...] So, too, Andrew of Crete, John of Damascus, Epiphanius the Monk, and the author of Andronicus of Constantinople's Dialogue Against the Jews, name Panther as an ancestor of Jesus [...]
"Jesus being called by his grandfather's name would also have agreed with a statement in the Talmud permitting this practice. Whereas Christian tradition identified Jesus by his home town, Jewish tradition, having a greater concern for genealogical identification, seems to have preferred this method of identifying Jesus. Goldstein presents more evidence to argue the case convincingly." (The New Evidence, McDowell & Wilson, pp. 66-67)
Now, just who are McDowell and Wilson and what is their book all about???

The New Evidence

Fully Updated to Answer the Questions Challenging Christians Today

Features:

Updating research done in partnership with a special McDowell apologetics team, led and edited by top-rated evangelical apologist Dr. Norman Geisler and apologetics writer and author Bill Wilson.

Thorough indexes make it easier to find the argument or fact you need.

Fully updated to keep Evidence That Demands a Verdict the number one reference for evangelical apologetics for the next decade and beyond.

Josh McDowell, graduate of Wheaton College and Magna Cum Laude graduate of Talbot Theological Seminary, is an internationally recognized speaker and author. Through his books, films, and television appearances, Josh McDowell has become known as one of the premier defenders of the faith for today.
We notice, thus, that Bushby has utilized evidence that came originally from a book by a couple of invested Christian apologists... and we aren't even certain of their "proof" because we know how desperate Christian apologists can be.

What is more disturbing, however, is that he has attributed this quoted "tombstone" to Morton Smith.

Continuing to search for the elusive tombstone, we don't find very much except a lot of people quoting Bushby...

But, with persistence, I found that there is a book entitled: Corpus inscriptionum Latinarum , by Theodor Mommsen. It is a complete survey of all the epigraphs and inscriptions unearthed anywhere in the Roman Empire and an ongoing project since 150 years and for as long as we continue to discover more inscriptions.

Through it we know, for instance, that Pilate was not, as the gospels claim, a procurator, but a legate, and hence not accountable to the legate of Syria, which explains a good deal of the reckless atrocities during Pilate's tenure. From this collection we also gain statistical insights in the average distribution of epigraphs and, corresponding to it, the degree of literacy in different parts of the empire at different times.

As reviewer, Michael Sympson says: "We lesser mortals are not likely to see this on our bookshelves at home, but for the archaeologist and historian it is an indispensable tool."

Sympson has, apparently, had a look at a library copy and tells us that, from in this book, we encounter:(numbers note the inscriptions)

XIII, 7514, and Dessau, Inscriptiones selectae, 2571

The inscription on the tombstone found in Germany reads:

'Tiberius Julius Abdes Pantera of Sidon, aged 62, a soldier of 40 years' service, of the 1st cohort of archers, lies here.'

The stone is in Bad Kreuznach Museum.
Again, here is what Bushby wrote about the tombstone:

Tiberius Julius abdes Panthera, an archer, native of Sidon, Phoenicia, who in 9 AD was transferred to service in Rhineland (Germany). 1
Again, here is what Morton Smith wrote:

"To suppose the name Pantera appeared as a caricature of a title not yet in use is less plausible than to suppose it handed down by polemic tradition. It was not a very common name, but we do know of a Sidonian archer, Tiberius Julius Abdes Pantera, who was serving in Palestine about the time of Jesus' birth and later saw duty on the Rhine. It is possible, though not likely, that his tombstone from Bingerbruck is our only genuine relic of the Holy Family."
And here is what McDowell and Wilson wrote:

"The theory most sensational but least accepted by serious scholars was dramatized by the discovery of a first century tombstone at Bingerbruck, Germany. The inscription read, 'Tiberius Julius Abdes Pantera, an archer, native of Sidon, Phoenicia, who in 9 c.e. was transferred to service in Germany.'...
We notice that Smith makes no mention of the date: 9 AD as Bushby and the Christian apologists do... most curious. We also note that the original, the translation, does not have a date either. So we have two people who added a date to fulfill their own agendas.

And so, we find that Bushby is not quite reliable: he is grinding an axe.

It is very sloppy work and I can't help but hold the rest of his conclusions suspect, wondering how many other "proofs" he similarly twisted or used out of context. But, having found a crucial one in the first 29 pages of his book, I don't think I'm going to spend my life digging back on every single reference he has made. I've got better things to do and I can see right away that his agenda is to prove his theory no matter how he has to do it. And it is about as weird as the whole Jesus myth anyway.

Laura said:
. . .
And so, we find that Bushby is not quite reliable: he is grinding an axe.

It is very sloppy work and I can't help but hold the rest of his conclusions suspect, wondering how many other "proofs" he similarly twisted or used out of context. But, having found a crucial one in the first 29 pages of his book, I don't think I'm going to spend my life digging back on every single reference he has made. I've got better things to do and I can see right away that his agenda is to prove his theory no matter how he has to do it. And it is about as weird as the whole Jesus myth anyway.
Laura thanks for that scholarly work. I had not heard about the mysterious tombstone in Germany. And you're right about the Talmud references. It is true to state that there are also references to Jesus in the Koran. You have rightly pointed out the importance of assessing the point of view of an author in making any worthwhile conclusion about the focus and value of their work on any given subject.

Whilst the observations you have made are in reference to Bushby's book, (Bible Fraud) of a few years back and the initial reference to Bushby in this thread relates to his recent Nexus article - two entirely different pieces separated by several years - your injunction regarding his agenda is still valid. However, no author living or dead, can be innocent of investing their work with their own bias or point of view. To an extent all who hold an opinion can be alleged to be, ' . . . grinding an axe', as you put it. It might also be seen as a 'partisan' approach to ignore or discount elements of a thesis because of problems with other elements of the same thesis.

One can make the very same determination about the author (authors) of Josephus' Jewish War. The fact that an 'original' version emanating from the western Roman empire and an 'original' version with significant differences to the Roman one emerged from Constantinople leaves us with huge problems of provenance to resolve before we can accept that there is a single indisputable reference to Jesus that approaches the level of a primary source.

I wonder if you have a view on James Tabor's 2006 book, The Jesus Dynasty?

Wolner said:
However, no author living or dead, can be innocent of investing their work with their own bias or point of view. To an extent all who hold an opinion can be alleged to be, ' . . . grinding an axe', as you put it.
It can be seen quite clearly though that there is a great difference between authors in terms of effort made to be objective. Some authors really don't care and are more interested in making a name for themselves, facts be damned. Others simply make mistakes because they didn't see faults underlying a particular assumption. Others have a political or religious agenda to push. And a rare percentage make their sole focus to develop an objective a work as possible.

The fact that Bushby misrepresented the exact inscription on the tombstone suggests to me either incompetent fact-checking, or an eagerness to publish some kind of work that would make a name for himself, facts be damned.

Ryan said:
. . .
The fact that Bushby misrepresented the exact inscription on the tombstone suggests to me either incompetent fact-checking, or an eagerness to publish some kind of work that would make a name for himself, facts be damned.
Either of these (or indeed both) might be the case with Bushby. I understand the difficulty or at least the impatience that might be felt over an author and the thesis proposed when sloppiness with an aspect of the work emerges but would still maintain the view that it should not alone be enough to invalidate the entirety of the work.

Laura said:
. . . In general, the problem with everything written about "Jesus" is that it is all based on the erroneous assumption that anything at all in the gospel accounts is historical. None of it is. Period.
Yes, that point in general is now almost beyond dispute it appears.

Back
Top Bottom