Thought Control, Mental Discipline and Concentration

Andrey

Jedi
Hello.

I would like some good resources and tips for facilitating increase of mental concentration, focus, thought control, etc. A friend recommended to me a few authors from the new thought movement (william walker atkinson and l.w. de laurence), but unfortunately these authors never really get to the point and decorate a whole lot of nonsensical mystical platitudes around elementary exercises which I could have found doing a simple search on basic meditation. I read a couple of buddhist texts on concentration and meditation and while some of the exercises look promising, I am left wondering if there are any better resources out there. Perhaps scientifically tested methods that are proven to work or something less "mystical" than the books I've been looking through.

I'm searching for these types of books on amazon, but just wanted to stop by and ask ya'll for some suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks!

hello Andrey
i like your question straight to the point. Im looking for the same something practical that i can practice to increase my awareness but not much luck. The best i can say is to start writing in a diary and see what comes up i always thought that was a waste of time but i dunno now that i tried it it is opening my eyes to things i never new before about myself. It is very uncomfortable but so is life so why not write it down this stuff is actually happining and all we have is our perception of it. This is all so the words dont fade away as easily as when there not recorded.

I would like some good resources and tips for facilitating increase of mental concentration, focus, thought control, etc.

Hi Audrey,

You can find a thread on such a resource recommended by the forum here. It is called Éiriú Eolas, and was developed by Laura with the assistance of the Cs. It not only helps with concentration, focus and the rest, but also has definite benefits for one's physical health.

The entire program is available online here: Éiriú Eolas - Growth of Knowledge A CD set is also available.

I hope you'll try it out!

I found this article that talks about books about concentration and focus. It is a vast subject. You can do yoga also, it helps to concentrate, and also some breath exercices.

And here some articles by Sott.net

Coloring, doing puzzles also help for concentration. Meditation also.

I hope this can help you. Good luck!

I found this article that talks about books about concentration and focus. It is a vast subject. You can do yoga also, it helps to concentrate, and also some breath exercices.

And here some articles by Sott.net

Coloring, doing puzzles also help for concentration. Meditation also.

I hope this can help you. Good luck!
Yes. Very helpful. Thank you much.

Didnt realize the EE program helps with concentration and focus. Thanks for the tips.
In case it can help: when I have negative thoughts loops, or I am feeling angry / afraid etc.. for no good reason, I do the Ba-ha portion of EE and it helps clear the mind. You just have to be discreet if you're in public😁.

There's also a book called "The Presence Process" from Michael Brown. It's worth checking it out.

I think the best way to improve those functions and strengthen the abilities of the frontal cortex in particular is to use them frequently and with sustained effort. In that respect it could include any number of activities, even reading with focused concentration will help build neural connections. Discipline comes with practicing discipline.

During meditation of many kinds you are likely to be focusing on some form of 'seed'. Most definitely this applies to EE. While it is a very relaxing exercise it is not comparable to simply drifting into daydreams or disassociating, it requires a certain amount of effort. Lots of studies show that the brains of regular meditators are different.

It is always important to define the terms. What do these words really mean? The ability to be aware of performing the activity at hand in the present moment?

This is not rocket science and no amount of conceptualization from a book is going to help. All that is going to do is add one more voice inside your head with another set of concepts to be considering!

If you are fixing your car, you need to be be turning the wrench with all of your being. I consider it a gift and escape from all the gyrations of my mind to have a simple and defined physical task to perform whatever it might be.

Furthermore you have to allow the River to flow. (I mean mental conversations like “why do I have to do this/I hate doing this/ I’m not sure I am doing this right/why can’t I focus?” etc etc etc). It’s just mental chatter. You don’t defeat it by fighting it. You overcome it by seeing it for what it is and developing an inner relationship with yourself about all the mental chatter. Heck sometimes that incessant blah blah in your head says some good stuff meant just for you. But it needs to be allowed an accepted because…it’s there when it’s there and it has almost always been there as far as I can tell.

Back to defining the question: maybe I am misunderstanding your real underlying question. Thought control. Hm. I would ask myself why is there a need to control the thoughts? Is the problem this: “I don’t like what I think sometimes and become obsessed with certain thoughts that I feel like I don’t want to have”?

Is that really it?

LOL so you can use this very question you have to delve into the issue for your own answer! Another opportunity to know thyself.

A mental approach to a mental problem may not be the best approach.

First thing to do is to understand the machine. Only then can you try to take it apart, clean the parts, and put it back together.

Books like "Thinking Fast and Slow", "Strangers to Ourselves", "Blink", "Inside the Criminal Mind" (Samenow is VERY good), etc.

Of course, in "The Wave" series, I spend several chapters talking about how we are programmed, how it works on the chemical level, and what efforts are required to overcome this programming. I've been told by a number of people that just reading "The Wave" series has helped them get a grip on their thinking.

I'm sure some other members can follow my line of thinking here and add other suggestions in that trajectory.

It also helps to be in good physical condition. If you have inflammation in the brain, you can work until you collapse and won't make much progress. So, diet is one factor. There are other health factors and this would be where EE might come in. Many of us have been experiencing enhanced thinking by using HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy) chambers. That really only might be necessary if there are health issues to deal with, though certainly added oxygenation to the brain can't help but be a good thing.

In short, optimizing from every angle is the best approach.

You received very good recommendations, but I think it's important to highlight the perspective of developing being if you're to focus. I have found that rereading the Wave, especially after crucial experiences, helps to re-focus big time. Your aim gets sharper and clearer, as you understand better.

My 2¢ : I think your brain adapts to how you use it. If you want to increase your focus and concentration I would recommend practice, practice and more practice.

What better way to do this than meditation ? You will gain much from this, seeded or non-seeded - it's up to you.

I would also recommend the keto diet, or as close to it as you can get, because I find sugar interferes a lot with my ability to focus, and when on a keto cycle I find my ability to focus on one thing can last a good 4 to 5 hours or so.

Keto may not be for everyone though I guess. Just cutting out any extra sugar will help.

Hi Andrey,
it's important to highlight the perspective of developing being if you're to focus
The quote above along with Laura's post are the key. I just wanted to add something that has helped me a lot in this journey, and that is: sticking strictly to some routines, according to your daily activities, which allow you to apply Laura's suggestions, for instance, take at least one hour to read, and 20/30 minutes to do EE, as well as any physical activity if possible; doing it before, after or in between your daily duties. In my case, I'm an early riser so, I prefer to do it all before my workday starts.

My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom