Things that go in your mouth.

Ivecky

The Force is Strong With This One
Hi All,
Since I joined the forum I've been making my way through "The Wave" and "Secret History" (which I'm finding very interesting) and have devoted a lot of my time to complete them so this doesn't leave me much time to post the thousand and one questions floating around in my head. And while waiting to complete reading the materials before I start asking questions and putting things together I've taken a little break to let the info soak in and thought it would be a good chance to post a review of some things that have helped make my day to day living a little easier.

The first one is a Toothpaste I have been using for 6 or so months. The brand is "Phyto shield®" and the product is made in New Zeland. The Toothpaste is chemical free and doesn't contain Parabens, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Added flouride, Sugar and Artifical sweeteners. Here is an excerpt from a web site that sells the product:

http://www.naturalhealthorganics.com.au/Phyto-Shield-Toothpaste-100g-pr-3666.html

Phyto Shield Toothpaste 100g

Herbal, lemon Myrtle and Propolis.

For your maximum oral care protection Phyto Shield have combined the best herbal and other natural ingredients in this range of toothpastes. Featuring "Totarol" which is an effective antibacterial substance sourced from the dead wood of the NZ Totara tree plus natural sweeteners like Xylitol and Thaumatin (sourced from an African plant).

Available in three smooth flavours:

Herbal - a general minty toothpaste for the whole family

Lemon Myrtle - recommended when stain removing or a more fruity flavour is desired

Propolis - particularly recommended for extra gum care or receding gums

100% NO Chemical Toothpaste.

* NO Sodium Lauryl Sulphate
* NO Chemical Preservatives
* NO Artificial Sweeteners, Colours or Flavours
* NO Added Fluoride
* NO Harsh Bleach
* NOT tested on animals

Ingredients:

Herbal: Calcium carbonate, water, sorbitol, glycerol, xylitol, lauryl polyglucose, silicon dioxide, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, herbal oil blend, eucalyptus oil, menthol crystals, peppermint oil, aniseed oil, zinc oxide, Thaumatin, Totarol, Ethanol (from Totarol tincture),

Lemon Myrtle: Calcium carbonate, water, sorbitol, glycerol, lauryl polyglucose, silicon dioxide, orange oil, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, lemon oil, calcium magnesium carbonate, ammonium glycyrrhizinate, menthol, peppermint oil, aniseed oil, neem seed oil, thyme oil, myrrh oil, lemon myrtle oil, Totarol, Ethanol (from Totarol tincture),

Propolis: Calcium carbonate, water, sorbitol, glycerol, xylitol, lauryl polyglucose, silicon dioxide, titanium dioxide, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, propolis tincture, eucalyptus oil, menthol crystals, peppermint oil, aniseed oil, Thaumatin, Totarol, Ethanol (from Totarol tincture)

After dealing with sensitive teeth from enamel abrasion I switched to the Propolis Toothpaste to see if it would help and I wasn't really surprised when my teeth started to get less sensitive after a few days use. It usually didn't take much to give me a jolt from the nerves in my mouth but after I started using the Toothpaste it takes a whole lot of orange juice, wine & other irritants to set anything off. Interestingly enough once I ran out of the Phyto Shield and had to switch back to my normal sensitive (name brand) Toothpaste and I was surprised when the nerves in my teeth jolted upon contact with the very Toothpaste that was supposed to make them less sensitive. I've never touched a name brand toothpaste ever again.

And the second product that has made my day a little easier is Xlear inc "Spry" chewing gum. http://www.xlear.com/spry.aspx. I'll add another excerpt with a description and ingredients:

Soothing, cool mint flavored sugar-free chewing gum sweetened with 100% xylitol. Great-tasting, long-lasting flavor makes Spry Chewing Gum the gum of choice for fresher breath and healthier teeth and gums! Studies have shown that when combined with normal dental hygiene, regular use of xylitol gums may reduce the risk of dental caries! Tips for use:

* Use daily after meals and between normal brushings.
* For best results use with the Spry Coolmint Toothpaste and Spry Coolmint Oral Rinse.
* Give your children Spry gum instead of sugar-sweetened chewing gum. No need to tell them it is good for their teeth.

Ingredients:
Xylitol, gum base, natural flavor (spearmint oil), vegetable glycerin, gum Arabic, soy lecithin, beeswax

After hearing about Aspartame from a friend and looking on my regular (name brand) gum and how much I consumed on a daily basis I threw it out and decided to try Spry. While the gum part of Spry is quite standard in Flavour, texture and effect I noticed something that surprised me when I realised it which was that I was no longer having bad neck muscle pains and the associated headaches. Now the Headaches and neck pain weren't massive but they where enough to make my day less comfortable and now that they aren't as bad I'm not seeming to stress about the pain which caused more tension in my neck.

It just goes to show that while the chemicals and poisons we consume are not directly killing us they go do a pretty good job at breaking down our own defences from effects like pain and stress.

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Ivecky.

The soy lecithin in the gum makes me cringe slightly, because as far as I'm aware soy isn't good for humans generally. A search of the health section of this site should reveal plenty of research on that topic.

Your testimony regarding the toothpaste is quite interesting. I may try it.

Quite often and I should say most of the time, we find glycerin in the tooth paste.

After doing a little research, here's what i found about glycerin:

Glycerin is a syrupy, sweet, colorless or yellowish liquid obtained from fats and oils and used as a solvent, antifreeze, plasticizer, and sweetener in the manufacture of dynamite, cosmetics, liquid soaps, inks, and lubricants. Glycerin prevents toothpaste from drying out and helps maintain product consistency.

_http://www.curetoothdecay.com/Tooth_Decay/glycerin_tooth_paste.htm

Glycerin In Your Tooth Paste
Glycerin is a colorless and smell-less liquid that can be obtained from lard, tallow and usually from other more caustic sources.

Glycerin has a sweet flavor or taste.

Glycerin is syrup like, oily, and remains a fluid. Glycerine is also a main by product from producing biodiesel. The name comes from the Greek word glykys meaning sweet. Glycerin is a sweetening and preserving agent used in toothpaste.

Glycerine attracts moisture. It is a natural byproduct of old fashioned soap making. Glycerine is also used to make dynamite. Family with the term nitroglycerin?

Real glycerine is made from removing it from animal fat (lard or tallow) using lye. However modern processing methods may use cancer causing chemicals as apart of glycerin production in slaughterhouses designed for soap making. It of course depends where the glycerin comes from. We don't know what glycerine is used in toothpastes, if it is from lard, corn or from biodiesel processing? It depends on the manufacturer. Glycerin is also used as solvent, antifreeze, and lubricant.

More About Glycerin in Toothpaste
My opinion is that excessive sweetness of glycerin makes it harmful to the body. It seems to be like a type of highly processed syrup.

Late chemist Gerard Judd pioneered the concept that glycerin in toothpaste would stick to teeth. Glycerin is just one of those products that seems like it is okay in soap, on your skin, if it is from a natural source. But why would you want a moisturizing substance in your mouth?

_http://100777.com/health/teethcare

4. Teeth reenamalize when clean. TO MAKE TEETH CL EAN ONE BRUSHES WITH ANY BAR SOAP. ( There are good toothpastes at the health food stores. Check the ingredients before buying. Don't get anything with glycerine in it.) Soap washes off in just 2 rinses. What about toothpastes? Glycerine in all tooth pastes is so sticky that it takes 27 washes to get it off. Teeth brushed with any toothpaste are coated with a film and CANNOT PROPERLY REENAMELIZE.

_http://www.zimbio.com/Dentistry/articles/wseam4jZOl-/Glycerin+Free+Toothpaste

Toothpaste products contain glycerin and fluoride. The fluoride issue has already been discussed here. Even so called “natural” toothpastes, gels and rinses contain glycerin. Glycerin coats the teeth and is the reason re-enamalization of the teeth can not take place. Teeth are designed to regenerate themselves but that cannot happen if the proper elements are not available.

We have also been led to believe that bacteria causes tooth decay. Dr Judd assures us this is not true. It is acidity that causes tooth decay; tooth decay happens as the result of eating processed foods!

Dr. Judd recommends bar soap for our teeth for the simple reason that bar soap is the only effective cleaner for teeth. It removes oils and matter from the teeth very quickly and leaves them perfectly clean. Toothpastes with large amounts of glycerin require over 20 washes to remove the glycerin so our teeth have a coating of glycerin at all times. With soap only two rinses remove the grime and suds!

and from _http://www.naturalnews.com/028636_toothpaste_cleanser.html

NaturalNews) Virtually all commercial toothpastes contain one or both of two problematic ingredients: fluoride and glycerin. Fluoride, a mining by-product, is one of the bigger scams perpetrated on an unwitting public. Instead of being beneficial it actually damages teeth. Glycerin coats the enamel and prevents natural re-mineralization of teeth. The solution in avoiding those two items may be making your own tooth paste or tooth cleanser at home.

Here are some recipes you can make at home which contain neither fluoride or glycerin:

Old Fashioned Tooth Powder

Ingredients:

2 tbsp dried lemon or orange rind
1/4 cup baking soda
2 tsp salt

Directions:

Grind the rinds in a food processor until they become a fine powder. Add baking soda and salt then process for a few more seconds until you have a fine powder. Store in an airtight container. Dip moistened toothbrush into the mixture and brush as usual.

Mix ingredients to make a paste, dip toothbrush into the mix and then brush as usual.

And Dr Mark Sircus in his book "Sodium Bicarbonate" recommends to clean our theeth with this wonderful product.

Hmm.... I'm surprised about the glycerol. I guess I need to work on researching every little thing a bit more :/

Back
Top Bottom