The Wave (2020)

Pearce

Jedi Master
Haven't seen the movie, but I just stumbled across this, and although it doesn't deal with the same topics we discuss here, it does have a psychedelic and cosmic overtone to it, and I wonder if even just the name alone is like mass consciousness signaling to itself 😳 it definitely jumped out at me in the list of suggested videos haha

Frank, an opportunistic insurance lawyer, thinks he’s in for the time of his life when he goes out on the town to celebrate an upcoming promotion with his co-worker, Jeff – but their night takes a turn for the bizarre when Frank is dosed with a hallucinogen that completely alters his perception of the world.

Justin Long stars as Frank, a man in need of his wallet. He lost it somewhere between saving his law firm millions by negating a life insurance payout and swapping drug-laced spit with a random girl while celebrating his huge professional win – if timelines can be trusted. Whatever dealer Aeolus (Tommy Flanagan) allows Frank to ingest sends the married business lackey on a trip between realities where clocks mean nothing and everything. Friend and co-worker Jeff (Donald Faison) tries to understand, but Frank’s frequent ability to disappear at random calculates no reason. Still, can it provide the answers Frank needs? Like, seriously, where is his damn wallet?

Frank’s is a story of freedom and incredulousness. A man whose entire life is built upon cashing corporate paychecks as defendants suffer, yet guilty of the same financial perils that trade mortgages for 4K televisions. Who are we – viewers being collectively represented by Frank – allowing ourselves to be? Compliant little cogs satiated by numbing expectations, or adventurers who aren’t “freshly scrubbed” like the piss-soaked bathroom floors within Jeff’s favorite dive the El Madrid?

Back
Top Bottom