The U.S. vs. John Lennon

Z...

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
A friend just recommended this movie.
As I am not too keen, was wondering if any of you has seen it and whether it is worth watching.

Here are some Amazon reviews:

[...]In retrospect, it seems absurd that the United States government felt so threatened by the presence of John Lennon that they tried to have him deported. But that's what happened, as chronicled in directors David Leaf and John Scheinfeld's The U.S. vs. John Lennon. The film starts slowly, with a familiar look at the former Beatle's troubled childhood, his outspokenness as one of the Fabs ("We're more popular now than Jesus Christ," etc.), and his eventual hookup with Yoko Ono, paralleled by the growth of political protest in '60s America, particularly against the Vietnam War. John and Yoko went on to stage their own peaceful demonstrations, like the Canadian "bed-ins," but these were largely harmless media stunts. It was when the Lennons moved to New York in the early '70s and took a more active role in the anti-war movement, making friends with radicals like Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, and Black Panther Party founder Bobby Seale, that the government got interested--and paranoid--and men like President Richard Nixon, FBI director J. Edgar Hoover, and right-wing Sen. Strom Thurmond began actively looking for ways to silence him (it was Thurmond who came up with the deportation idea). That's also when the film picks up. An array of talking heads weighs in, ranging from Ono and others sympathetic to Lennon's plight (Walter Cronkite, Sen. George McGovern, even Geraldo Rivera) to those on the other side, including Watergate conspirator G. Gordon Liddy. Though The U.S. vs. John Lennon is hardly impartial, it's safe to say that although Lennon was more an idealist than an activist, he was an influential celebrity whom Nixon viewed as a potential nuisance in an election year. And even once Nixon had won the '72 presidential race, the Immigration and Naturalization Service refused to drop its case. Why? "Anybody who sings about love, and harmony, and life, is dangerous to somebody who sings about death," says author Gore Vidal. "Lennon... was a born enemy of the U.S. He was everything they hated." For music fans, Lennon's solo recordings provide the soundtrack. The DVD also contains considerable additional documentary footage. --Sam Graham [...]

[...] Does the film mean to imply that Lennon's political activity was somehow correlated with his murder? Towards the end of the film, Yoko Ono says "I suppose they wanted to kill John." What does that mean? No explanation follows, but her pregnant phrase resonantes. This part of the film comes off fairly heavy-handed. Skeptics would dismiss it by saying "they're trying to make him a martyr." If the film was trying to suggest a conspiracy it should have developed that theme. Evidence would also help. Instead, it leaves Yoko's mysterious phrase. [...]

I saw it a couple of weeks ago, as I rented it from Netflix. I was moved by it and enjoyed it very much. They showed him and Yoko in all the bed scenes they did. He had a strange relationship with the media. It was the PTB in the end who he whipped in court over him leaving the country, so Nixon or Kissinger had him disposed of, in their terms. His song, "All We Are Saying, Is Give Peace A Chance", really stirred up some hearts which was too dangerous for the psychopaths in the end. Of all the junk available to watch, I highly recommend it.

I'd recommend it. Certainly I think if you watch it not expecting a lot like I did (mainly because it was all before i was around), then you'll be surprised and glad you did. He was definitely one of life’s good guys.

R.

Watched it today. As a Beatlemaniac, I know the story fully and still recommend it.

Lennon was VERY CLOSE when you consider that he said:
Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. If anybody can put on paper what our government and the American government, etc., and the Russians, Chinese -- what they are actually trying to do -- and how and what they think they're doing -- I'd be very pleased to know what they think they're doing. I think they're all insane.
Just replace "insane" with "psychopathic."

He also said, regarding the call of some anti-war people to resort to violence:
When it gets down to "having to use violence," then you're playing the system's game. The establishment irritate you, pull your beard, flick your face, to make you fight, because once they've got you violent, then they know how to handle you.
I thought it was positively vulgar, though, to see Geraldo Riveira portraying himself as a supporter of Lennon's activism and a critic of Nixon's skullduggery. If he really was that way in the 70s, what the heck happened to him?

AdPop said:
I thought it was positively vulgar, though, to see Geraldo Riveira portraying himself as a supporter of Lennon's activism and a critic of Nixon's skullduggery. If he really was that way in the 70s, what the heck happened to him?
Ponerized, or a useful idiot, or a puppet / cheerleader - some or all of that.

I look forward to seeing the movie. Of all the memories I have and don't have that I might should have, I still remember vividly the news that Lennon had been murdered. I cried and I also tried hard to hide the tears while at my job that day, and back then not much would make me cry.

"Image all the people, living life in peace. [...] sharing all the world ..."

Wow.

AdPop said:
Watched it today. As a Beatlemaniac, I know the story fully and still recommend it.

Lennon was VERY CLOSE when you consider that he said:
Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. If anybody can put on paper what our government and the American government, etc., and the Russians, Chinese -- what they are actually trying to do -- and how and what they think they're doing -- I'd be very pleased to know what they think they're doing. I think they're all insane.
Just replace "insane" with "psychopathic."

He also said, regarding the call of some anti-war people to resort to violence:
When it gets down to "having to use violence," then you're playing the system's game. The establishment irritate you, pull your beard, flick your face, to make you fight, because once they've got you violent, then they know how to handle you.
I just watched it and Adpop's take is pretty much mine as well. Yoko mentions at the end that 'they' killed him - (not Hinkley(sp?) )- which was rather nice to hear. G. Gordon Liddey plays the perfect supporting role of psychopath, because he is one.

Geraldo's presence in this film seemed to me to be the strategic disclaimer - the enormous 'don't take this seriously' flag - and, I think it works, on a very subtle level. Everyone in america has learned not to take anything Geraldo says seriously, so for him to be so prominently featured is rather significant, osit.

I grew up in a household that considered John to be subversive and dangerous - so I felt a longing when I watched this footage - for someone in this day and age with that much 'pop culture clout' who would do and say basically the same things - a longing mostly because what he was doing is more needed now than then, as far as I can tell. I remember my parents telling me that the Smother's Brothers tv show (which I thought was funny even as a little kid) was canceled because they were dangerous and not good for the country - so to see Tom Smothers there in bed with John and Yoko certainly explains a lot, now.

But - John took the General Law on - head on, clearly never understanding that one never wins such a battle. He seemed to be someone who had a lot of spark but a limited understanding of exactly how managed everything is. Don Quixote comes to mind, actually, but, still some part of me sure misses him - I found myself crying quite a bit during this movie, fwiw.

Apologies for the 'double' post, but, the amazon review, quoted at the start of this thread, is clearly a whitewash, by the way - Vidal also says, after the phrase quoted, that John was about life and Nixon, and, now, Bush, and those like him are about death.

Perhaps yet another lesson that main stream reviews serve only one purpose - that one purpose we all are far too familiar with. Yoko's mention of 'they' at the end wasn't heavy handed at all - it was a small, simple, quiet comment about the truth - easily dismissed by someone not familiar with the story, so the fact that the review focuses on it and discredits it says, actually, volumes more than what Yoko did at the time.

Back
Top Bottom