The Truth about Depression BBC Full Documentary 2013

This video from youtube is a recent documentary combining firsthand accounts on the nature of depression from a few people backed by cognitive studies of the effects on the brain. It even goes into some detail about the treatments with only one way really seeming to work though the conclusion is never stated explicitly. For what it is the descriptions of depression are great to relate to, but it seems to be a bias towards sedation and medical treatment over lifestyle changes and therapy.
http://youtu.be/F5YubjEqbZ8
A nice follow up to the above is a TEDtalk called "Depression Is a Disease of Civilization" and he takes it a step further than the documentary speaking about humanity's history and how we're not designed for this civilized life.
http://youtu.be/drv3BP0Fdi8

ajseph 21 said:
This video from youtube is a recent documentary combining firsthand accounts on the nature of depression from a few people backed by cognitive studies of the effects on the brain. It even goes into some detail about the treatments with only one way really seeming to work though the conclusion is never stated explicitly. For what it is the descriptions of depression are great to relate to, but it seems to be a bias towards sedation and medical treatment over lifestyle changes and therapy.
http://youtu.be/F5YubjEqbZ8
A nice follow up to the above is a TEDtalk called "Depression Is a Disease of Civilization" and he takes it a step further than the documentary speaking about humanity's history and how we're not designed for this civilized life.
http://youtu.be/drv3BP0Fdi8

I haven't had the opportunity to look (I'm in my morning forum scan/rush right now), but if they mentioned the role of environmental toxins (including many household products), not to mention ponerization, that would be encouraging. Living in a world of contradictions produced by lies is depressing, especially if you are unaware of what is going on. ("Knowledge is the best medicine?" Hmmm.)

I know, it's unlikely.

It really didn't mention ponerization or environmental issues, but the woman who was cured did say she wanted to use her experience to help others. She also faced her depression head on in therapy so knowledge was proven to be the best overall! On the other hand, the pharmaceutical approach (anti-depressants) produced a lifetime dependency for the owner of the engineering business. He seemed to have it the worst because of that dependency.

ajseph 21 said:
It really didn't mention ponerization or environmental issues, but the woman who was cured did say she wanted to use her experience to help others. She also faced her depression head on in therapy so knowledge was proven to be the best overall! On the other hand, the pharmaceutical approach (anti-depressants) produced a lifetime dependency for the owner of the engineering business. He seemed to have it the worst because of that dependency.

If you have experienced depression and recovered (I have), you can certainly use that experience to help others. What is even better, however, is if you can actually understand what happened, and that is not so easy. From what I know now, I would say that much of my depression stemmed from unrecognized dietary issues combined with epigenetic influences. You can grow up in a depressing family and be surrounded by depressing people and not be depressed, if your machine is working reasonably well. Keeping your head together when it is under assault from within, biochemically, can be much harder.

Therapy can be very helpful, especially when undertaken in conjunction with cleaning up diet and environment. Nobody is depressed due to an insufficiency of therapy, however, any more than from an insufficiency of pharmaceuticals.

Understanding the ways your mind (and the rest of you) is under assault nutritionally, chemically, and psychologically -- all at once -- is really quite important. You probably won't hear very much of the essential messages, though, from corporate-sponsored media. "Sponsorship" is one of the primary means used to limit access to information.

Back
Top Bottom