THE SURREAL, FANTASTIC REALIST, PSYCHEDELIC & VISIONARY ARTISTS

Y

Youngfox

Just tooling about on th'net today and I came across this large collection of links to artist's online galleries. There are definitely some light and dark visions with a Fortean/High Strangeness influence. Some of the artists are quite popular and probably familiar while others are new to me (and possibly to you).

The artist's perspectives range from the mystically beautiful to the horrendously awful.
If you enjoy this sort of stuff it is quite a little treasure trove.

THE SURREAL, FANTASTIC REALIST, PSYCHEDELIC & VISIONARY ARTISTS OF THE 21ST CENTURY LINKS GALLERY

Yes I came acros it a few days ago via Cifford Pickover's Reality Carnival.

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/pc/realitycarnival.html

He always has interesting links such as the one you posted.

I like this painting..... it isn't in the main 1000 gallery but is on William Otto's website.

http://www.williamsotto.com/Gallery/fa7.htm

Re: THE SURREAL, FANTASTIC REALIST, PSYCHEDELIC & VISIONARY ARTISTS

I found interesting gallery about dreams (mostly) - "A separate reality":
https://alexandreev.deviantart.com/gallery/

pilots_by_alexandreev-d7kuhte.jpg

Oh this post reminds me, recently I was doing research into Surrealism, especially female artists of that period and I came across a really interesting artist named Hilma af Klint.
My interest was piqued when I read a quote of hers “God is not a being but a power, not a creature but an eternity, not something with form but a life that can assume an endless number of forms.” -Hilma af Klint

What I found particularly intriguing was that her art came about from channeling some so-called “higher masters” and that she kept her work mostly secret. She was a member of the Theosophical Society, she and four friends formed a group known as “The Five" and regularly attended “spiritual”meetings that culminated in her art work.

(They opened each meeting with a prayer, followed by a meditation, a Christian sermon, and a review and analysis of a text from the New Testament. All of this would then be followed by a séance.[4] They recorded in a book a completely new system of mystical thoughts in the form of messages from higher spirits, called The High Masters ("Höga Mästare"). One, Gregor, spoke thus: "All the knowledge that is not of the senses, not of the intellect, not of the heart but is the property that exclusively belongs to the deepest aspect of your being...the knowledge of your spirit") - Wikipedia

(During their séances, they practise automatic writing and drawing. According to Hilma af Klint, these paintings are created mediumistically. Her work was a kept secret and shown only to a chosen few.

Over the years, she cultivated her role as an artist, healer, and spiritual seeker, investigating what she considered to be the invisible sphere of existence. The evolutionary idea of so-called “dual-truth” was, according to af Klint, a longing for unity that followed from the recognition of the duality of the world and of the human condition. This longing was reflected in the evolution of the soul towards the deepest state of its “being-in-relation,” in which it would achieve mutuality and oneness.

Her work accentuates the truth she believed, that all religions were different ways towards reaching unity. Her drawings and watercolors were intended to lead the viewer onto other levels of awareness and glimpses into the fourth-dimension, a place where the understanding of space would increase and illusory perceptions then disappear.

She claimed her work were ‘messages for humanity for the future’ and decided to write a clause in her will that states world wasn’t ready for her ideas and that her works should remain contained until 20 years after her death) - Excerpts from the following article Abstract Alchemy: Hilma af Klint

Just tooling about on th'net today and I came across this large collection of links to artist's online galleries. There are definitely some light and dark visions with a Fortean/High Strangeness influence. Some of the artists are quite popular and probably familiar while others are new to me (and possibly to you).

The artist's perspectives range from the mystically beautiful to the horrendously awful.
If you enjoy this sort of stuff it is quite a little treasure trove.

THE SURREAL, FANTASTIC REALIST, PSYCHEDELIC & VISIONARY ARTISTS OF THE 21ST CENTURY LINKS GALLERY
Thought I'd give this link a bump since I just discovered it and enjoyed it. The description here is good....bizarre, Fortean, thought provoking and well done. Some of the work reminds me of a few artists I knew in the past. They where exceptionally skilled and driven to create and so where quite prolific. One woman painted scenes of her inner landscapes that where quite dark and disturbing...nothing I'd want hanging in my home but well done. The other artist was rather wonderful I thought. Her pieces where full of wimsy and original, imaginative scenes which where thought provoking and uplifting. Surrealism is my favorite visual art.

Thought of another artist I used to know. He was working on a huge canvas that spanned half the wall of his apartment, 7ft x 9ft. maybe. He divided the whole canvas into equal sized, small squares about 6 inches wide. Inside the squares he was painting small portraits of himself, the exact same face over and over again. The piece was less then a third done when I saw it and it made me feel very bored...so tedious and repetitive. It was titled, "Portrait of a Narcissist", :lol: only kidding, I don't know the title.

Oh this post reminds me, recently I was doing research into Surrealism, especially female artists of that period and I came across a really interesting artist named Hilma af Klint.
My interest was piqued when I read a quote of hers “God is not a being but a power, not a creature but an eternity, not something with form but a life that can assume an endless number of forms.” -Hilma af Klint

What I found particularly intriguing was that her art came about from channeling some so-called “higher masters” and that she kept her work mostly secret. She was a member of the Theosophical Society, she and four friends formed a group known as “The Five" and regularly attended “spiritual”meetings that culminated in her art work.

(They opened each meeting with a prayer, followed by a meditation, a Christian sermon, and a review and analysis of a text from the New Testament. All of this would then be followed by a séance.[4] They recorded in a book a completely new system of mystical thoughts in the form of messages from higher spirits, called The High Masters ("Höga Mästare"). One, Gregor, spoke thus: "All the knowledge that is not of the senses, not of the intellect, not of the heart but is the property that exclusively belongs to the deepest aspect of your being...the knowledge of your spirit") - Wikipedia

(During their séances, they practise automatic writing and drawing. According to Hilma af Klint, these paintings are created mediumistically. Her work was a kept secret and shown only to a chosen few.

Over the years, she cultivated her role as an artist, healer, and spiritual seeker, investigating what she considered to be the invisible sphere of existence. The evolutionary idea of so-called “dual-truth” was, according to af Klint, a longing for unity that followed from the recognition of the duality of the world and of the human condition. This longing was reflected in the evolution of the soul towards the deepest state of its “being-in-relation,” in which it would achieve mutuality and oneness.

Her work accentuates the truth she believed, that all religions were different ways towards reaching unity. Her drawings and watercolors were intended to lead the viewer onto other levels of awareness and glimpses into the fourth-dimension, a place where the understanding of space would increase and illusory perceptions then disappear.

She claimed her work were ‘messages for humanity for the future’ and decided to write a clause in her will that states world wasn’t ready for her ideas and that her works should remain contained until 20 years after her death) - Excerpts from the following article Abstract Alchemy: Hilma af Klint
I have discovered two movies about Hilma af Klint @Candice
Beyond the visible - Hilma af Klint (directed by Halina Dyrschka, 2019)
and Hilma (directed by Lasse Hallström, 2022)
such beautiful works, the paintings and writings, not necessarily the movies!
there seems to be a feminist bias in Beyond the visible, but I haven't watched Hilma yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom