The suppression of Thomas L. Brodie by the Catholic Church

I contacted a biblical scholar who I will not name about Brodie and here is an excerpt of his response:

I think Brodie pretty much knew that his views would be unacceptable to the Dominicans--and he was willing to pay the price--which is, basically, his silence in exchange for their taking care of him in his last years. It sounds like blackmail, but Brodie has (IMO) pretty much said what he had to say. He's made his case over the years clearly and fully. I suspect he's OK with a quiet retirement in the lap of the Catholic order which he's known most of his life.

I can't imagine the Dominicans not giving this man the comforts he deserves.

It would be different if Brodie were impelled to make more breakthroughs and the Dominicans were standing in his way. Then I think your dismay would be reasonable. I don't think that's the case, though. From what I've heard, he's at peace--though he has indeed unleashed a storm. Brodie will go down in history for his courage and pioneering work.

It would be very hazardous for Brodie to renounce the Dominican fold at this late stage. I recall that Father Milik (of Dead Sea Scrolls fame) did something similar in the 1970s--he left the priesthood and got married--basically blackballed and never again to work on the DSS. Milik paid a high price and lived a very modest existence for many years in Paris.

Frank Zindler sat down with him last year at the SBL meeting. So, Brodie still travels. He's a very nice, gentle man.

And that, I think, is pretty much the last word. I don't thing Father Brodie is interested in being contacted by anyone. He's in his 70s and enjoying his retirement.

It was my search for information about Brodie that brought me to this website -- specifically, to the beginning of this thread. I've tried reaching out to Brodie through every means I can think of. No luck. I don't think he wants to be contacted. His economic well-being might be at stake, given that he was silenced by his order and given that I could be seen to represent a threat to put his controversial (heretical?) thoughts back in the public eye. Also, he very well might have moved on and made a new life for himself. I have no desire to disturb him. I will, however, make another attempt to reach him through his publisher.

I am not familiar with the subject matter of this website generally.

alcannistraro said:
It was my search for information about Brodie that brought me to this website -- specifically, to the beginning of this thread. I've tried reaching out to Brodie through every means I can think of. No luck. I don't think he wants to be contacted. His economic well-being might be at stake, given that he was silenced by his order and given that I could be seen to represent a threat to put his controversial (heretical?) thoughts back in the public eye. Also, he very well might have moved on and made a new life for himself. I have no desire to disturb him. I will, however, make another attempt to reach him through his publisher.

I am not familiar with the subject matter of this website generally.

I chose to leave Brodie alone. He's not suffering in anyway, and he doesn't need to be hassled. Have you read his work?

I, too, have no desire or intent to hassle the man.

Yes, I read his last book -- the one that got him silenced -- Beyond the Quest for the Historical Jesus: Memoir of a Discovery. Much of it is memoir, but most of it is biblical literary analysis that is way over my head. In addition to the substance of Brodie's "discovery," it's the memoir angle that interests me. That and any emergent theological innovations and speculations that he might be willing to share or discuss with me.

Lou Brodie was my spiritual advisor and teacher in the late 70's. He taught me a lot about how to think and get under the words that were written in another time. For him it was all about the word(s) and their meaning. I too have tried to contact him unsuccessfully. He was a kind and humble man, with a great sense of humor, who labored his entire life elucidating the books he loved and tried to understand. I suspect we have heard the last from him, after 50 years or so, he said what he had to say. 'nuff said.

Back
Top Bottom