"The Prayer of the Soul" Translations

Mikey

The Living Force
Hey Pashalis, wouldn't you be interestend in joining the German translation team? There is a lot of work to do! :)
 

Gawan

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Data said:
Hey Pashalis, wouldn't you be interestend in joining the German translation team? There is a lot of work to do! :)

I agree. :)

And Pashalis, you can if you like also use other names for the prayer, instead of "divine cosmic mind" ... bad example ... "mother nature", just in case... :)
 

HiThere

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Norwegian:

Prayer Of The Soul Sjelens bønn

Oh Divine Cosmic Mind Å Guddommelige Kosmiske Sinn
Holy Awareness in All Creation Hellige Bevissthet i Alt Som Er Skapt
Carried in the heart Båret i hjertet
Ruler of the mind Styrer av Sinnet
Savior of the Soul Sjelens Frelser
Live in me today Lev i meg i dag
Be my Daily Bread Vær min Daglige Næring
As I give bread to others Som jeg gir næring til andre
Help me grow in knowledge Hjelp meg å vokse i viten
Of All Creation Om Alt Som Er Skapt
Clear my eyes Åpne Mine øyne
That I may See Så jeg Kan Se
Clear my ears Åpne mine ører
That I may hear Så jeg Kan Høre
Cleanse my heart Gjør mitt Hjerte rent
That I may know and love Så jeg kan Kjenne og Elske
The Holiness of True Existence Helligheten av Sann Eksistens
Divine Cosmic Mind Guddommelige Kosmiske Sinn
 

Pashalis

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Data said:
Hey Pashalis, wouldn't you be interestend in joining the German translation team? There is a lot of work to do! :)

yes I would be interested to join. do you think I am good enough?
I would prefer to translate english into german.
somebody would have to check what I translate, because I am still learning.
 

Mikey

The Living Force
Pashalis said:
yes I would be interested to join. do you think I am good enough?
I would prefer to translate english into german.
somebody would have to check what I translate, because I am still learning.

It is definitely "learning by doing". I'll send you an invitation.
 

Gandalf

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Pashalis said:
Data said:
Hey Pashalis, wouldn't you be interestend in joining the German translation team? There is a lot of work to do! :)

yes I would be interested to join. do you think I am good enough?
I would prefer to translate english into german.
somebody would have to check what I translate, because I am still learning.

The way it works is that we translate from english to another language. So you would be able to translate from english to German.

Don't worry, the way it works is that someone does the initial translation and after that we have a couple of proofreadings done by other members.
 

aragorn

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Inspired by the supermoon today (where I live it's actually too cloudy to see it ) I came up with a Finnish translation of the POTS. It goes like this:


"Sielun Rukous

Oi Jumalainen Kosminen Mieli
Koko Luomakunnan Pyhä Tietoisuus
Sydämessä kannettu
Mielen hallitsija
Sielun pelastaja
Asu minussa tänään
Ole jokapäiväinen leipäni
Niin kuin minä annan leipää muille
Auta kasvattamaan tietämystäni
Koko Luomakunnasta
Selvennä silmäni
Voidakseni Nähdä
Selvennä korvani
Voidakseni kuulla
Puhdista sydämeni
Jotta voin koskettaa ja rakastaa
Oikean Olemassaolon Pyhyyttä
Jumalainen Kosminen Mieli"

Happy supermoon everyone! :)

EDIT: Changed the word 'ymmärtää' to 'koskettaa'. I'd like to use the word 'tuntea', but then the word 'Pyhyyttä' would have to be 'Pyhyyden', and since the word 'rakastaa' requires 'Pyhyyttä' there's no way around it except with changing the word to this one. The word 'koskettaa' means to touch or to feel. I'll have to think about this and see if I come up with another solution.
 

aragorn

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Psalehesost said:
thorbiorn: For my Swedish translation, I had the following thoughts on the translation of "Of" in "Of All Creation": Of can be translated into "om", but "om" has a more limited meaning the same as "about", and "of" can also mean "av"/"af". I considered which to use ("Om" or "Av"), and choose the latter because I thought it gives a more "expansive" and inclusive meaning; the knowledge is not just about creation, it is part of it, and comes from it. I tried "Om Hela Skapelsen" in my mind, but to me it felt too "limited". Is this also relevant for Danish?

(there were more things I was thinking of comparing and writing my thoughts about, but before tackling those, I'd better get some feedback from another swede as to how those things "feel" in Swedish, because my prior experience with things like prayers and such in Swedish is pretty much non-existent. so that will be posted later)

Hi Psalehesost, since my second language is Swedish I had a look at the Swedish translation too. I have made a couple of suggestions of how to change it. Your text, where I've changed it, appear in brackets.


"Själens bön"

Å Gudomliga Kosmiska Sinne (Medvetande), [1]
Heliga Medvetenhet i All Skapelse
Buren i hjärtat
Härskare av sinnet (medvetandet) [1]
Frälsare av Själen
Lev i mig idag
Var mitt Dagliga Bröd
Så som jag ger bröd åt andra
Hjälp mig växa i kunskap
Om Hela Skapelsen
Rensa mina ögon
Så att jag må Se
Rensa mina öron
Så att jag må höra
Rena mitt hjärta
Så att jag må känna och älska
Heligheten av det Sanna Livet [2]
Gudomliga Kosmiska Sinne

(Sann Existens Helighet
Gudomliga Kosmiska Medvetande)

1) 'Kosmiska Sinnet' seems to be more commonly used as a translation of 'Cosmic Mind', see: _http://paranormal.se/topic/svenska.html

2) It is my understanding, that the third last and second last phrase are connected together, 'know and love' points to 'Holiness of True Existence'
 

Jefferson

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Aragorn said:
Inspired by the supermoon today (where I live it's actually too cloudy to see it ) I came up with a Finnish translation of the POTS. It goes like this:


"Sielun Rukous

Oi Jumalainen Kosminen Mieli
Koko Luomakunnan Pyhä Tietoisuus
Sydämessä kannettu
Mielen hallitsija
Sielun pelastaja
Asu minussa tänään
Ole jokapäiväinen leipäni
Niin kuin minä annan leipää muille
Auta kasvattamaan tietämystäni
Koko Luomakunnasta
Selvennä silmäni
Voidakseni Nähdä
Selvennä korvani
Voidakseni kuulla
Puhdista sydämeni
Jotta voin koskettaa ja rakastaa
Oikean Olemassaolon Pyhyyttä
Jumalainen Kosminen Mieli"

Happy supermoon everyone! :)

EDIT: Changed the word 'ymmärtää' to 'koskettaa'. I'd like to use the word 'tuntea', but then the word 'Pyhyyttä' would have to be 'Pyhyyden', and since the word 'rakastaa' requires 'Pyhyyttä' there's no way around it except with changing the word to this one. The word 'koskettaa' means to touch or to feel. I'll have to think about this and see if I come up with another solution.


Aragorn,
In my opinion this is a clear and well done translation. My mother tongue is English but I've been told that my Finnish is close to a native (although I don't feel that way, myself, although I think in Finnish when I speak it).

Interesting use of "koskettaa" - my question how close is that to tietää, ymmärtää, to really know? If one can touch something, can you really know something? "Koskettaa" in my mind evokes the connotation of emotion, as in "touching", for example "it touches me <emotionally>" but also the fact the root word is "touch" it has that concrete, practical sense to it - so I can see why you would consider that word.

The word "pelastaja", which is a direct translation of "saviour", is the only word in the whole POTS that sticks out for me, at least as first, as my religious programming would get stirred by this word. As for all of my life, "pelastaja" = "saviour" =Jesus via atoning blood shed to the ground. It stands out even more for me in Finnish as I have heard loads of conservative-lutheran sermons in Finnish while I have lived here, until I gave up that conservative christian belief system completely some time at the end of 2009, even though I probably didn't believe with my heart in that kind of Christianity since probably 2006.

I have always meant to go the thread (among many intentions coming up short) about the POTS and ask for my clarity around that word "Saviour" . I have always thought of it as more as "developer" of the soul but that sounds too impersonal and business-corporate like. :)

These are just some initial thoughts, and I will try and and get back to this some time (read: huge procrastination program set in place :) )
 

aragorn

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Jefferson said:
Aragorn said:
Inspired by the supermoon today (where I live it's actually too cloudy to see it ) I came up with a Finnish translation of the POTS. It goes like this:


"Sielun Rukous

Oi Jumalainen Kosminen Mieli
Koko Luomakunnan Pyhä Tietoisuus
Sydämessä kannettu
Mielen hallitsija
Sielun pelastaja
Asu minussa tänään
Ole jokapäiväinen leipäni
Niin kuin minä annan leipää muille
Auta kasvattamaan tietämystäni
Koko Luomakunnasta
Selvennä silmäni
Voidakseni Nähdä
Selvennä korvani
Voidakseni kuulla
Puhdista sydämeni
Jotta voin koskettaa ja rakastaa
Oikean Olemassaolon Pyhyyttä
Jumalainen Kosminen Mieli"

Happy supermoon everyone! :)

EDIT: Changed the word 'ymmärtää' to 'koskettaa'. I'd like to use the word 'tuntea', but then the word 'Pyhyyttä' would have to be 'Pyhyyden', and since the word 'rakastaa' requires 'Pyhyyttä' there's no way around it except with changing the word to this one. The word 'koskettaa' means to touch or to feel. I'll have to think about this and see if I come up with another solution.


Aragorn,
In my opinion this is a clear and well done translation. My mother tongue is English but I've been told that my Finnish is close to a native (although I don't feel that way, myself, although I think in Finnish when I speak it).

Interesting use of "koskettaa" - my question how close is that to tietää, ymmärtää, to really know? If one can touch something, can you really know something? "Koskettaa" in my mind evokes the connotation of emotion, as in "touching", for example "it touches me <emotionally>" but also the fact the root word is "touch" it has that concrete, practical sense to it - so I can see why you would consider that word.

The word "pelastaja", which is a direct translation of "saviour", is the only word in the whole POTS that sticks out for me, at least as first, as my religious programming would get stirred by this word. As for all of my life, "pelastaja" = "saviour" =Jesus via atoning blood shed to the ground. It stands out even more for me in Finnish as I have heard loads of conservative-lutheran sermons in Finnish while I have lived here, until I gave up that conservative christian belief system completely some time at the end of 2009, even though I probably didn't believe with my heart in that kind of Christianity since probably 2006.

I have always meant to go the thread (among many intentions coming up short) about the POTS and ask for my clarity around that word "Saviour" . I have always thought of it as more as "developer" of the soul but that sounds too impersonal and business-corporate like. :)

These are just some initial thoughts, and I will try and and get back to this some time (read: huge procrastination program set in place :) )

Thanks Jefferson for your constuctive comments. The word 'pelastaja' was a good find, I agree, it doesn't 'taste' right. I've thought about this, and a better word could be 'vapahtaja', what do you think? As for the ending with the word 'koskettaa' - it's a very tricky sentence to translate. I've thought about it quite a lot today, but can't come up with a perfect solution. One option would be to use the word 'aistia' - this seems to be the best option right now.


With these changes it would look like this:

"Oi Jumalainen Kosminen Mieli
Koko Luomakunnan Pyhä Tietoisuus
Sydämessä kannettu
Mielen hallitsija
Sielun vapahtaja
Asu minussa tänään
Ole jokapäiväinen leipäni
Niin kuin minä annan leipää muille
Auta kasvattamaan tietämystäni
Koko Luomakunnasta
Selvennä silmäni
Voidakseni Nähdä
Selvennä korvani
Voidakseni kuulla
Puhdista sydämeni
Jotta voin aistia ja rakastaa
Oikean Olemassaolon Pyhyyttä
Jumalainen Kosminen Mieli"
 

HiThere

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Just wondering: The phrasing "Be My Daily Bread" refers to a form of sustenance associated with inflammation and diverse health issues. It destroys the rythm of the prayer to insert "buckwheat bread". Any thoughts on this?
 

Luks

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Just think about buckwheat bread if so is better for you. Although in the Preyer "Bread" not need necessarily be interpreted as bread. What if somebody don't eat bread at all ;) I think POTS is perfect. Just focus on meditation and mean of the Preyer.
 

Mountain Crown

The Living Force
hithere said:
Just wondering: The phrasing "Be My Daily Bread" refers to a form of sustenance associated with inflammation and diverse health issues. It destroys the rythm of the prayer to insert "buckwheat bread". Any thoughts on this?

Laura said that she patterned the POTS after The Lord's Prayer which has the line: "Give us this day our daily bread."

Bread has been one of the most common staples of physical food, and is used metaphorically for spiritual sustenance, shown by Jesus' juxtaposition of the term in his reply to the devil in the temptation in the wilderness: "man does not live by bread alone, but by the word of God."

"Be my daily bread" follows the line "Live in me today" which in turn flows from the acknowledgment that the Divine Cosmic Mind is "carried in the heart," is the "ruler of the mind," and the "savior of the soul."

Since the prayer aims to "know and love the holiness of true existence," to be sustained by knowing the DCM daily is a perfect request.
 

Gawan

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
hithere said:
Just wondering: The phrasing "Be My Daily Bread" refers to a form of sustenance associated with inflammation and diverse health issues. It destroys the rythm of the prayer to insert "buckwheat bread". Any thoughts on this?

Lol. :)

I thought about something similar a longer time ago, but imo it is really meant symbolically.
 
Top Bottom