The Mysterious Cities of Gold - 80's animates series

Green_Manalishi

Jedi Master
Hello everyone.

Recently i remembered this animated tv show from the 80's. I think it was the first time i was "exposed" to the idea of an ancient civilization in our pre-history. I remember as a kid, just being transfixed by the opening theme, especially with the airplane and boat that were like technological remnants of Atlantis.

Don't get me wrong, with this post i'm not stating that i was this or that, but the thing is, when i saw that show as a kid, i was just so overwhelmed with it, so drawn to it for no apparent reason, it was like a remembrance. That to this day i get goosebumps when i hear the music and see the opening theme.

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy-0UQi6e6A-

With this, i just wanted to know if someone else remembers having a strong reaction to the series and maybe bring back some memories.

And if you have kids, it's a really cool show to see with them.

Minutes 0:45 - 1:14 made my brain 'click'. I remember now to have seen and heard this part before. But I had TOTALLY forgotten.

Hello.
As a former French kid with a TV in the 80's, I do remember quite well this French-Japanese animated series !

Then, I appreciated the story (and probably identified to Esteban) but I particularly loved the commentary (told by a famous voice-over) and real images after the animation.
Here are the Wikipedia article about it and the French opening theme :

PS : there was at least one other (French) animated series about past civilizations in the 80's : Les mondes engloutis (The engulfed worlds) or Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea in English.

Here is the French opening theme :
and the English opening theme :

PS : from my PoV, most of the 80's-90's (animated or not) TV series, either Japanese, American, British or French (etc.), are part of a "soft-MK" general/basic programming for a whole generation of children (who become adults in the 2000s).
For instance, innocent/good people (often children or teenagers) fighting evil spirits/alien invaders/etc theme.

I have a vague idea of Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea. But the one that stuck was The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

Bastian said:
PS : from my PoV, most of the 80's-90's (animated or not) TV series, either Japanese, American, British or French (etc.), are part of a "soft-MK" general/basic programming for a whole generation of children (who become adults in the 2000s).
For instance, innocent/good people (often children or teenagers) fighting evil spirits/alien invaders/etc theme.

Well, we can't argue that popular cultural as definitely been, since the it's beginning, a ""soft-MK" general/basic programming". Especially in TV.

But once in a while there can appear something, that could still be understood as a soft MK, but with the end action being positive. I am tempted to think that this two shows are an example of that. It brought awareness of the possibility of previous high civilizations in our distant past to a younger audience.

At least for me, i can say that, that show planted in me a desire for understanding and a deep fascination with the concept of "Atlantis".

Well, we can't argue that popular cultural as definitely been, since it's beginning, a ""soft-MK" general/basic programming". Especially in TV.

But once in a while there can appear something, that could still be understood as a soft MK, but with the end action being positive.
Yes, of course. Positive side-effects on some people. Others will think (as adults) that it's some good "stories for children"...
I'm amazed of the number of super-heroes movies, and their commercial impact, for instance.
But so few people are really looking to develop their "super-powers".

I am tempted to think that this two shows are an example of that. It brought awareness of the possibility of previous high civilizations in our distant past to a younger audience.

At least for me, i can say that, that show planted in me a desire for understanding and a deep fascination with the concept of "Atlantis".
Well, such a show may trigger some past-live memories, who knows ?
Or stir up interest/curiosity, if your soul is leaning towards looking for Truth...

Back
Top Bottom