The Key to Good Health

M

Michael Langston

Natural Eating

by Michael Langston

When was the last time you thought seriously about your diet? If you're like most busy people in our harried society, you probably don't have time to give it much thought. We tend to read the morning paper as we crunch on our cereal, chat with our friends while nibbling french fries for lunch, and watch TV in the evening while gobbling our pizza. It seems that our food is the last thing we think about in the midst of all of life's other distractions.

But are we overlooking a fundamental truth about the nature of our diet that could enhance our life beyond our wildest expectations? Sometimes the hardest thing to see is the thing that's most obvious, and so it is with the truth about our diet.

Cultural conditioning, more than any other factor, is the force that determines the foods that we eat. We eat as we do primarily because we've grown up eating that way, and when we see others in our society eating a certain way, we tend to eat as they do. We eat cereal for breakfast because we were given it as children and we saw it advertised while watching our Saturday morning cartoons. We eat french fries for lunch because that's what we saw all our teenage friends eating. We eat pizza for dinner because it's easy to have it delivered and we grew up eating and liking it. We have no better reasons than these for eating as we do. In making all these important nutritional choices, we simply follow the lead of our popular culture.

But in the process of thoughtlessly swallowing what the food industry provides us and failing to make our own true decisions, is it possible that we're being dangerously led astray by forces that are acting against our best interest?

Consider for a moment the purpose of food and consider as well what we're commonly eating. The purpose of food is not merely to provide pleasure, although eating can certainly be a pleasurable experience and there is nothing wrong with that pleasure if it's enjoyed in the right context (in the context of good nutrition). Although too easily forgotten in our hedonistic culture, food's principal purpose is to provide nourishment and sustenance.

But are the foods that we're commonly eating performing this function? Is that breakfast cereal, french fries, and pizza doing its job of nourishing the body, or is it only supplying us with a transient dose of nutritionless pleasure?

To answer this question and to assess the quality of the food we are eating, we need to think about the fundamental nature of food itself. What exactly is food, anyway? We must look to the natural world for the answer.

Food is the tissue of living organisms that animals (and some plants) ingest in order to acquire raw materials or energy for survival. This ingested tissue can be of either plant or animal origin, depending on whether the ingesting organism is a herbivore or a carnivore. The fact that this ingested tissue was once itself alive implies that all the substances needed for life are present in precisely the right amounts. This ensures that the organism ingesting this tissue will be properly nourished.

This is an extremely critical point and bears repeating. Plant and animal tissue (as food), because it was once alive, contains all the substances necessary to sustain and nourish other life. It is inherently nutritious and life-giving. This is what is meant when we say that a food is natural. It is derived from nature in an unaltered state.

There's another aspect of the ideal of "naturalness" as it relates to our food that's equally important. One must also consider the type of food most appropriate for any given species. Grass, for example, though natural in one sense, is not a natural food for a lion, just as meat is not natural for cattle. In order to determine what's natural for humans, we must look back in time to our hunter-gatherer past.

The term "hunter-gatherer" tells us a lot about what our ancient ancestors ate over millions of years, and thus tells us which foods are natural for humans. Ancient hunter-gatherers were omnivores, in the sense that they ate foods from both the animal and vegetable kingdoms. They both hunted wild animals and gathered wild plants.

But they were not omnivores in the sense that they ate absolutely everything. Hunter-gatherers ate meats, fruits, and vegetables, but they had no grains, beans, or dairy products, which were introduced into our diet after the invention of agriculture. And, even more significantly, they ate none of our modern-day processed foods.

Do the foods that we commonly eat today meet these criteria of being natural and appropriate for the human species? Some of them do (such as meat and vegetables), but, sadly, most of them do not. Lets look at perhaps the most egregious example of a "processed" food (which is really not a food at all) and examine how it differs from a food that is natural.

Recall that a "natural" food, because it was once living tissue, is a complex mixture of all the various substances that are required for life: amino acids, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, etc. Then imagine, if you will, its total antithesis, a pure chemical compound providing none of these essential nutrients, only empty calories to fatten us like cattle. Unfortunately, this nutritional nightmare (called refined sugar) is all too real in our "civilized" culture and makes up a substantial portion of the average person's diet: over one hundred pounds per person per year.

Other processed foods are similar to sugar in that they are devoid of nutrition and extremely prevalent in the modern diet. Refined white flour, polished white rice, packaged breakfast cereals, refined vegetable oils, margarine, and other hydrogenated, man-altered fats are major examples. Refined white flour, though unable to sustain even rats in the laboratory, has become the dominant staple in the human diet. Why, you may wonder?

It makes absolutely no sense that we would feed ourselves food that is unfit even for animal consumption, but, shockingly, that's just how crazy that our world has become. If rats can't live on refined white flour, as has been demonstrated repeatedly in laboratory experiments, how can humans be expected to thrive on it as a staple? If it's so nutritionally bankrupt that it has to be fortified with synthetic vitamins to prevent gross vitamin deficiency diseases, how is it that it is fit to be eaten in the first place? Even though it makes no sense nutritionally for the human race to be eating it, it makes great sense economically for the food industry to be selling it. And that is the reason for this continuing insanity!

The shocking truth that most people fail to consider is that these unnatural disease-causing foods, introduced for purely profit-seeking motives by an industry that is acting against our best interest, have largely displaced natural health-promoting foods in our diet. No one seems to care or to even take notice that foods such as sugary breakfast cereals, french fries, and pizza, which are in reality nutritional perversions, have stealthily replaced the meats, fruits, and vegetables that we desperately need to maintain our health. And what is even more appalling than this senseless indifference to the fundamentals of nutrition is that the awful consequences of this nutritional madness go largely unrecognized.

We tend to look at degenerative disease as an unavoidable fact of life or as an inevitable consequence of just growing older. We see so much heart disease, cancer, and other debilitating diseases around us that this pathetic infirmity is all that we know. We tend to regard such disease states as normal and inextricably linked to the human condition. What we think we can do nothing about, we prefer not to think about, like the proverbial ostrich with its head in the sand.

But think about this, if you will, for a moment. Heart attacks, which presently kill millions, were a medical oddity before the turn of the twentieth century. Degenerative diseases such as diabetes and cancer, which are now escalating at an exponential rate, were much less prevalent then as well. In primitive and traditional cultures, tooth decay and other such "diseases of civilization" were rare or nonexistent until "civilized" foods were introduced in their diet, and then such conditions began to run rampant.

It seems that good health is our natural birthright if we'll only make an effort to obey nature's laws. And one of the most important of nature's laws is that we should eat nature's food. We needn't eliminate foods of animal origin, as the vegans would have us do. What we must do instead, in order to be healthy, is to eliminate processed foods of HUMAN origin, through a program of natural eating as recommended in this article.

Yes, we can do something about the modern-day plagues that confront us, so aptly described as "diseases of civilization." Degenerative disease is not inextricably linked to the human condition. It is instead inexorably connected to a degenerate diet, imposed on unthinking people by cultural conditioning and by the self-serving practices of a corrupt food industry. What we desperately need is treatment for this insanity, and a sensible program of natural eating is just what the doctor SHOULD HAVE ordered.

Very true, Michaeal. I was reading a series of articles a while ago, which I don't have access to at the moment to post, that explained that the 'food triangle' - you know the little graph on a wall poster in schools, and on the back of many food boxes - is heavily influenced by the grain lobby, or the grain industry. Basically, dollars determine what is in the food triangle, not nutritional needs. Yet another example, among thousands, of our fearless leaders putting money over people. Don't even get me started on Rumsfeld and Aspartame. ;)

Not only do i think you're right on, I also think that this issue touches many others.

Now I might be going off on a limb here, but Imho the state of our health probably has a lot to do with our cognitive processes, state of mind, etc. I have had this idea for a while that the matrix might be attacking our consciousness by (between many other things) attacking our physical health.

Think about it: with our food supply the sorry mess it is, most people chronically sleep-deprived and stressed to exhaustion, and so many taking drugs when they would be better off taking vitamins or making changes in their habits/ diets, pollution everywhere and who knows what else, we live in what might be one of the most unhealthy circumstances imaginable. Might this have something do to with people being passive and asleep? Maybe our precarious health state prevents us from making and keeping enough energy to wake up or else "graduate"...

I also believe that this state of things is useful to 4d STS as all that preventable suffering and pain must be pretty yummy to them...

When I was first diagonsed with heart disease, I started researching all about food. The Doctor Within had excellent articles about food, medicine, sugar, etc. Numerous other websites wrote all about food and how harmful it has become. Well eventually, after sometime, the best advice is still from the C's:-

Q: (L) Is vegetarianism then the way we should eat?
A: That is concentrating on the physical. The body is not important.
Q: (L) Does this mean that to worry about the body in any way is wrong?
A: Close. Don't concentrate on life in the body. Concentrate on the spirit.
Q: (L) Does this mean Laura should ignore her heart condition?
A: Don't worry about it. Treat the spirit.

Last Christmas I was talking with a cousin of mine who many people believe as being "spiritual", although I myself am skeptical of this because he does tend to be taken in by the new age propaganda a little too naively. (But I do believe his heart is in the right place.) Anyway, he was telling me about how he asked his spiritual "healer" (I'm not exactly sure what she does) about vegetarianism and diet etc. The reply he got was:

You know, the world would be a far better place if only people would concentrate more of what came out of their mouths, rather than what they put into them.
At the time, I was quite taken aback by this because it indicated that my cousin accepted something which most new age dogma ignores, and it also fits in well with what the Cassiopaeans said:

Q: Does this mean that to worry about the body in any way is wrong?
A: Close. Don't concentrate on life in the body. Concentrate on the spirit.
Given that much of the world's troubles are caused by the things people say (and I'm not talking about psychopaths here because we can't change them obviously, although what they say causes the most problems), and given that "concentrating on the spirit" would naturally lead to better communication and vice versa (that is, better communication would also contribute to the spirit), both of the above quotes seem to agree in part.

However, all that said, I still believe it is important to avoid eating those "foods" which are filled with all things artificial and toxic, and to avoid giving money to those ruthless companies who will add anything to make something taste good, at the expense of consumer health.

I should also mention here that my cousin also had something else to say, which was most interesting in light of what I had already read on www.cassiopaea.org. The spiritual healer he spoke to more or less said that the vast majority of ill-health from smoking comes from people being told that smoking is bad for them -- in other words, mental conditioning. Once again, this is very much in keeping with the C's:

Q: (L) What is causing the lung cancer they are attributing to smoking?
A: Mental conditioning and subliminal programming to expect it.
Q: (L) So, it only happens if you are convinced that it can and must happen?
A: Correct.
All of this has made me think that there are some "new age" people out there who aren't so bad! (But admittedly they are few and far between.)

But if smoking is only bad for us because we have been programmed to think it's bad, are processed foods only bad for us if we think they are?

stonepony said:
But if smoking is only bad for us because we have been programmed to think it's bad, are processed foods only bad for us if we think they are?
Trans fats are bad. Fluoridated water is bad. HFCS might or might not be proven bad, but I know it's bad for me. Bovine growth hormone can't be terribly good for you. The antibiotics they pump into cattle can't be too good for you either.

As far as french fries go - they consist of mostly soybean oil. Which contains pesticide residues, and is extracted from the beans by washing them in petrol, and then evaporating the petrol from the solution. They don't get all the petrol out of the oil, you know. That's why you're seeing more "organic expeller-pressed soybean oil" in ingredient listings of fried foods. Because some people don't like eating gasoline or pesticides, not even a little bit.

Then there's modified food starch, which nobody knows is good or bad for you, but it ain't natural either. And to modify the food starch, they use some pretty yucky chemicals.

I think it's part knowing about food, and then examining WHY you're eating whatever it is you're eating. I think if you listen to that part of you that hesitates before going into a fast food joint, or hesitates before calling out for pizza, that's the part of you, you should listen to. It's all about making that part of you stronger and louder and less about the food.

stonepony said:
I don't think it's a matter of "good" and "bad". There are many things in this world which are detrimental to our health. Personally, I think smoking cigarettes is one of them. But I also have a degree of faith in my own genetics, immune system, and ability of the body to repair itself. So I smoke, but I don't smoke 2 packets of cigs a day, because I think that would be unhealthy for me. In the same way, I eat pizza, but I don't eat it every day, because it would upset my digestive system.

Programming implies doing things only because of what some "authority" tells us. When we start looking at smoking as a personal choice with personal effects and consequences, rather than a "smoke because it's good or bad because of what (X) told us", then we can have a better idea of the objective nature of it. That's the way I see it, anyway.

I believe that smoking is definitely bad for some people. I'm not sure what the percentages are, because I'm not aware of any studies which have been conducted on the topic, but it seems to me that roughly half of the population who smokes gets some sort of obviously smoking-related illness. On the other hand, there are those who smoke all their lives and live into their 80s and even 90s (I had a relative who smoked all her life and was of the latter). I also frequently hear of people who smoke and don't seem to suffer any ill health effects, including a lack of fitness, that other smokers do report. So I think it very much fits in with what the C's said: that smoking is a "profile"-based thing where some can smoke and get away with it, and some can't:

A: Those who fit this profile find it nearly impossible to "quit" completely.
Q: So, there are people who are actually benefitted by smoking?
A: Genetics will offer proof of this.
However, there is some confusion and possibly contradiction in this same dialogue that Laura had with the C's about health (which can be found on the www.cassiopaea.org site). At one point the discussion was as follows:

Q: (L) Is smoking detrimental to any of our bodies?
A: Not if mild. Not if mind is in right mode.

[...]
Q: (L) What is causing the lung cancer they are attributing to smoking?
A: Mental conditioning and subliminal programming to expect it.
Q: (L) So, it only happens if you are convinced that it can and must happen?
A: Correct.
Q: (L) Is there any particular brand of cigarettes to smoke?
A: No.
which implies that all smoking, whether it be the commercial or home-made varieties, is harmless in moderation. But then this is contradicted by

Q: (A) Where can one find non-corrupted [i.e. non-commercial] tobacco products?
A: Tobacco shop.
Q: So, I guess I have to roll my own!
A: Machine can be purchased which does this.
So at one point the C's are saying all smoking is harmless in moderation, but then not long afterwards, they are saying that it is the commerical, corrupted products which are bad for one's health.

So then, what is it that's causing smoking-related illness? Is it the commercial tobacco products, or is it purely mind-programming? I'm guessing the answer is a combination of both. I guess even the commercial products are harmless if done in moderation. But the mind-programming element adds more disease to the equation which is automatically attributed to smoking, even if the actual physical effects of smoking are nowhere near as bad as the "experts" make out.

I am still confused, however. I expected a bit more clarity from the C's on such an issue.

I suppose that some things in life are "objectively bad" (we know that certain foods are toxic if eaten in small amounts) and other things are "objectively good" (we know that things like vegetables can be eaten in much larger quantities without ill effects). However, I guess the question which determines how bad something is, is How much can something be consumed, in a relatively short space of time (say, a week), without negative effects? The larger the answer to this question, the more "objectively good" the food will be. Because in truth, nothing can be eaten indefinitely in a short space of time without negative health effects. If you ate a bucket-full of carrots every day, then after one week, I can bet something negative would come of that. So the key is moderation.

So to conclude, I guess the confusion that comes from the health discussion with the C's relates to moderation. If we were told for decades on end that "the consumption of carrots is bad for you", then there would probably be very real negative health effects attributed, through studies, to carrots alone. But this would not necessarily mean that carrots are objectively bad for you. And although smoking in moderation, whatever the brand, may be relatively harmless, the smoking of commerical tobacco in larger quantities probably is objectively bad for everyone. So the smoking of non-commerical tobacco (that doesn't contain the toxic carcinogens) in large quantities is probably objectively good for those who fit a particular genetic profile.

Back
Top Bottom