The Invasion

Just caught the new remake of Body Snatchers and figured I'd give my two cents. Overall the movie was good, it takes place in DC which is a familiar local for me, so a lot of the cinematography was recognizable. The acting was believable and pretty good compared to what makes it to the big screen these days. There was also a lot of hint dropping; what do i mean by this? well basically the Iraq War was mentioned multiple times, Katrina was also referenced, and there are various scenes where the news or the radio is on in the background and discussing current events. So very apropos given the subject matter.

The plot was interesting: Shuttle crash results in contaminated materials being thrown across multiple states, anyone who touches it gets 'infected' with some alien bacteria/fungi that becomes active when you sleep(esp liked that part, great reference). After sleeping you wake-up and are under the control of some alien entity which remains formless, unidentified. The weird thing is that the alien can only distinguish humans by overt displays of emotion. You can 'trick them' by remaining calm, robotic and not letting your emotional state displayed outwardly.

This is where the good acting comes in, a lot of the non-humans did a good job at appearing eerily emotionless, calm, yet inhuman. While Nicole Kidman did a great job of faking the non-human state. She also does a lot of mothering, which was very believable and in one dinner scene she eloquently shoots down the "All of us could be animals in the right situation" theory. Thou i must admit, that bit is the one piece of propoganda i picked up on in the film, the twist that accompanies a lot of truth.

The one part I didn't like was the ending(SPOILER WARNING), a dramatic chase scene followed by a rooftop-helocopter escape with alien zombies at their heels, and a little science and everyone's fine. There wasn't even a dramatic hint of a possible sequel. So while the movie itself is good the end just leaves one feeling a bit empty, unsatisified. Maybe that's the point - the problem itself still exists IRL and it hasn't been solved, therefore it's not over... i was a little anxious going to bed thou.

I ve seen it yesterday , while it is gripping from time to time, and can provoke some strong emotions every now and then, plus Nicole Kidman is not just such an eye candy but also smart and slick woman of science- nevertheless the total result is like souffle that just burst

It doesn't come even close to the 70-ies original with Donald Sutherland, those shrieks were the spookiest part of the movie and I think the plot is totally crippled without them.
even the 90-ies version was way better then this one.

Also I don't think the parallels some mentioned here can really be drawn, because infected are not exactly psychopaths, at least I didn't see it that way.
they actually claim to be peaceful, connected with one another and at one with nature (like those big peaceful trees you saw - says Nicole Kidman's friend when he is trying to convince her to give in) they claim they will rid world of all troubles and contradictions and finally people will live in peace.

Have any of you seen the very first film made in the 50's?

It's worth watching.

Just watched this one the other night. If I hadn`t been groggy from a light flu I wouldn`t have bothered finishing it.
I became quickly aware that The Invasion is not only part of a phletora of doomsday movies, which are real trendy right now but also the umptieth remake of Don Siegel`s original movie (1956), based on Jack Finney`s novel from 1955.
If you`re not aware of the original or it`s subsequent remakes by Philip Kaufmann (1978) and Abel Ferrara (1993), which are all a lot better then this one, you might get a mild thrill from watching this sorry excuse of a movie.
If you`re aware of any of the older versions this movie`ll be utterly predictable!
In any case you`d do a lot better watching any of the former movies or the superior british variation 28 Weeks After (2007).

After his success with the awful "Hitler in the bunker" flick Downfall, German director Oliver Hirschbiegel got an invitation to shoot this mess in Hollywood.
There are obvious signs of studio interference, but it seems unlikely that it would have been much better without it.
It`s a very cheap looking inept film, whose budget seems to be wholy used up on Mrs. Kidman`s and Mr. (007) Craig`s salary. It also has a ludicrously weak happy ending.

It also suggests to the viewer to totally trust in your government scientists to save your life from the alien virus by giving you a vaccination!!
To up the ante the movie ends with the more then cynical quote of a character in the movie (russian diplomat). Paraphrased out of memory here:
"A world without cruelty, wars and atrocities would not be human anymore."
Yep, the PTB have spoken!

nemo said:
If you`re not aware of the original or it`s subsequent remakes by Philip Kaufmann (1978) and Abel Ferrara (1993), which are all a lot better then this one, you might get a mild thrill from watching this sorry excuse of a movie.
If you`re aware of any of the older versions this movie`ll be utterly predictable!In any case you`d do a lot better watching any of the former movies or the superior british variation 28 Weeks After (2007).
Totally agree, my favourite is 70-ies version wih Donald Shutherland
Removing dennouncing shrieks from the plot reallly takes away alot of creepines

nemo said:
After his success with the awful "Hitler in the bunker" flick Downfall, German director Oliver Hirschbiegel got an invitation to shoot this mess in Hollywood. !
Totally disagree but its useless to argue about personal tastes and subjective impressions.
I thought Downfall was brilliant account of Hitler's last days and I would recommend everyone to watch it.

nemo said:
After his success with the awful "Hitler in the bunker" flick Downfall, German director Oliver Hirschbiegel got an invitation to shoot this mess in Hollywood. !
Deckard said:
Totally disagree but its useless to argue about personal tastes and subjective impressions.
I thought Downfall was brilliant account of Hitler's last days and I would recommend everyone to watch it.
I concur with you, Deckard. "Downfall" is a brilliant, mesmerizing film. And I adore Bruno Ganz, who is always riveting to watch, even in poorly made films. But in "Downfall", the acting and the filmmaking are both of the highest quality.

Deckard said:
Totally agree, my favourite is 70-ies version wih Donald Shutherland
Mine as well!!
Deckard said:
nemo wrote:

I think I need to balance my admittetly polemic statement a bit. It mirrors my ongoing disappointment with German movies, especially when they deal with the Third Reich (exceptions are a few films by the late R. W. Fassbinder).
I feel to make more meaningful films about this subject, movies have to detach themselves from "educational" fact picking and become artistically more daring.

Downfall was preceded by the excellent documentary Hitler`s Secretary, in which she`s interviewed about her time in Hitler`s bunker. I visualized a movie adaption of her narration and was very disappointed by the result Downfall. Obviously lacking the budget for a "panorama view" of the subject I felt the filmmakers should have concentrated on the bunker setting. I felt not only that they didn`t use the sets effectively (what great sound effects the Coen Bros. would have used to create a claustrophobic atmosphere), from a dramatic pov the movie was quite boring, simply a sequence of episodes. Bruno Ganz is excellent indeed, but there is nothing really new to his interpretation.

What practically made me hate the movie: We know that Goebbels helped kill a few million people, but the only emotional scene where we are supposed to feel empathy is the one where the Goebbels "euthanize" their children. This moment is underlayed with weepy sentimental music to boot. Made me almost gag. Maybe it`s just me (and a writer friend of mine), but this scene is beyond tasteless!
That`s my personal and therefore highly subjective view of Downfall, regarding his flimsy (imho) artistic qualtities.

What I liked a lot more: Mein Führer (My Fuehrer), the First German Hitler Comedy, which is a genuinly funny movie with a very inspired cast, led by the (very unfortunately) late Ulrich Mühe (The Life Of Others). Only Jazz musician, comic and non-actor Helge Schneider in a rubber mask as Hitler is only adequate.

Deckard said:
I thought Downfall was brilliant account of Hitler's last days and I would recommend everyone to watch it..
Having said that, I still do agree with you to recommend Downfall to those who are interested in seeing a very well researched visualisation of Hitler`s last days. As far as I could tell all the known facts based on various historical sources ARE in the film. So as an educating Docu-Drama it`s well worth your time, especially if you don`t have the time to worm your way through wordy Hitler biographies!

Funny thing. After I read Cyre's post the other day, I found the same film on the table the next day. My son has brought it from his firend and we watched it today. How the aliens are trying to persuade you : You won't feel anything, everything happens while you sleep (in your REM sleep state) no more violence, no more wars, no more killing etc. etc. It seemed similar to what some channelled info from "alleged aliens" were saying. We will lift you into safety, take you into our space ships, we'll clean all the pollution, etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom