The illusion of free will - Sam Harris

That simply means that the amount of free will you have is determined by the amount of information you have and then your ability to apply it which turns it into knowledge. So we can ditch the term free will and replace it with information/knowledge. So Harris' idea that we have no free will (it's not really his of course, and has been pondered for millennia) is the same as saying we do not have unlimited information/knowledge, which isn't exactly a ground-breaking statement, but rather self-evident. Of course, it doesn't mean we have NO information/knowledge, just that it's limited, and we can gain more through effort. So saying we have no free will is actually totally wrong, we have limited free will, which isn't a fundamentally bad thing, because the whole point of growing is growth in knowledge. If you already had unlimited knowledge, you might not be motivated to do much.

I don’t have unlimited knowledge and I already don’t want to do much. Just a few things to attempt again with the knowledge I have hopefully results in different result.

With pre planned fate and lessons set out our memory is erased so that we actually do much. If all passed lives knowledge was with us then we would be less inclined to enter into dynamics.

Thank god I found “The Work” this allows me to take care within the lessons recognize when a lesson is happening and enact free will or the knowledge I have gained thus far to think and apply and observe. If there was NO knowledge or free will then I would just be a wind up doll with my strings being pulled and buttons pressed resulting in automated actions. Applying the knowledge I have has lead me to a deeper understanding and care for someone and a deeper/cautious level of care in general for life as I learned more about my nature by applying my free will.

If Sam was engaged in The Work and networked about other likened topics his sentiments about free will would be different.

I guess maybe he is talking about the majority of the population not having free will in this case he is correct I believe but I don’t think of things as well 51%+ of the population do things this way so this is the way it is. This type of thinking takes away a persons, will, power, agency and life. I don’t care what most do I want to do what sets me up for success toward my goals.

Sam just doesn’t do it for me. There’s no Grace. But the best to him on his path.

“Imagine if everything was completely different, then things would be different. Imagine if covid had a 100% death rate and the vaccine was perfectly safe. RFK looks pretty stupid now”

What an idiotic statement from Harris. 'Yeah, you could choose about the vax, but if the disease had been super-lethal and the vaccine super-safe, then you'd have a different opinion!' Duh. EXCEPT THATS NOT WHAT HAPPENED SAM!! THAT'S THE POINT!! HELLO!!

As some people say, if my grandma had wheels, she'd be a bicycle. And if Benito Juárez (Mexican 19th century president) hadn't died, he'd be alive.

What an idiotic statement from Harris. 'Yeah, you could choose about the vax, but if the disease had been super-lethal and the vaccine super-safe, then you'd have a different opinion!' Duh. EXCEPT THATS NOT WHAT HAPPENED SAM!! THAT'S THE POINT!! HELLO!!

As some people say, if my grandma had wheels, she'd be a bicycle. And if Benito Juárez (Mexican 19th century president) hadn't died, he'd be alive.

It's not only idiotic because of the silly "counterfactual" scenario, it's also idiotic because locking everybody down, controlling every detail of people's lives "cause safety", causing elderly people misery and suffering, and treating everybody like stupid little children is against everything that is good and proper UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. Even during the plague nobody did this sort of thing. It's evil no matter what, period, you goddamn freak! "Intellectual" my a**.

Back
Top Bottom