The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

On the SE of France, cold too for June 10, just 12°c this morning. And yesterday night 9pm to 12. There was lightnings very strange... no clouds ! and lightnings down to up !! And pink !! I can't film because my phone is out of memory sorry !!😢 I have ordered a new one... 😉 for next astronomical phenomenom. 😎

Same in southwest Germany. Around 8°C in the morning hours. The temperatures are similar for a week or so. On Friday they predict warmer temperatures about 28°C during the day but next week it will go down again. Wonder how the temperatures will be when summer is really supposed to start.

Here in Ireland we are renowned for our suspect summers and to be honest on the whole its been a remarkably barmy spring. But even so, every evening - and the same early morning - there is this chill - its really hard to describe - it's as if its 'hidden' inside the ambient temperature... and it's winter cold! We're at about 9 °C morning/evening but that bit of the temperature I'm describing feels in the bone memory to be more like -2°C. Never felt this before and I can't tell if its real or not. But as Laura says, less that 2 weeks to 'midsummer' so whatever it is, it has no business being here by the calendar!

Here in Ireland we are renowned for our suspect summers and to be honest on the whole its been a remarkably barmy spring. But even so, every evening - and the same early morning - there is this chill - its really hard to describe - it's as if its 'hidden' inside the ambient temperature... and it's winter cold! We're at about 9 °C morning/evening but that bit of the temperature I'm describing feels in the bone memory to be more like -2°C. Never felt this before and I can't tell if its real or not. But as Laura says, less that 2 weeks to 'midsummer' so whatever it is, it has no business being here by the calendar!

I'm in the Vancouver region of BC in Canada and I actually had a similar experience the other day. While it was reading at +12 at the time, which naturally is shorts and t shirt weather, I found that I was rather cold, as if either the temprature being broadcast was wrong, or that my internal temprature was too hot for the moment and I felt a hard chill. My lips also felt blue my son was also chattering that day when we were out and my wife and I commented about his chattering "but it's so warm, this is odd!".

Yesterday in St. Petersburg (Russia) was a strong hail. In the afternoon it was in the region of + 30C, but then the north wind blew and much colder, a severe thunderstorm began with rain / hail.
I live a little west of St. Petersburg and we were lucky (there was only heavy rain), but neighboring towns / villages (10-15 km from us) also suffered from hail!

The weather is strange, but let's not lose heart! I have beautiful watermelons growing (they didn’t suffer) and I love summer, not damn winter!
SAM_1254_forum.JPG

But even so, every evening - and the same early morning - there is this chill - its really hard to describe - it's as if its 'hidden' inside the ambient temperature... and it's winter cold!

Same here jumping over a continent in the Rockies - a relatively large snowpack is present for this time of year, which acts as a type of refrigerant for evening katabatic winds. Many still have fires in the hearth even now approaching the summer solstice.

Here in Germany, NRW is cloudy and rainy with 12 degrees in the night and up to 20 in the day.
This rainy weather never seems to end.....

On the other hand, yesterday was another story in Croatia; hail storms all across the western parts of the county, whirling wind at the seaside and mini-earthquake (already reported in Earthquaqes thread).

On Wednesday afternoon, a strong storm hit the western part of Zagreb, Sveta Nedelja and Samobor. Heavy hail was falling.

A huge whirling wind formed in Kvarner on Wednesday afternoon. Somewhat earlier, heavy hail was falling in parts of Istria. There were also storms on the continent, and in the evening it briefly affected Zagreb.

A magnitude 2.4 earthquake shook the Zagreb area at around 4 am on Wednesday. The epicenter of the earthquake was recorded not far from Markuševac.

Here in the south ouest of France near the Spanish border we had almost 2 weeks of rain/cloudy weather with chill temperatures not higher than 17/18 degrees in the day and 7/8 in the night (last year, at the same period we had about 10 degrees more). It's quite unusual here. Today it's sunny with 20 degrees but it seems that the sun is not actually warming that much and I have to wear a wool cardi (note that I'm not sensitive to the cold but these day I'm often cold in the morning and evening :rolleyes:). Also the light is not a "summer" light, more autumnal...

The forecast is predicting still rain for next week :-(

Polar Bears?

Seems they are still out there on solid ice, and when not they are excellent swimmers :-). Usually, the ice does not completely dissipate until August, so it is not surprising. Ice starts to form again by October, so it is about sixty days without ice, more or less. Here we have the latest updated ice data for the big four legged Northern ones (shh, don't tell Sir Richard Attenborough):

Posted on June 14, 2020 | No early breakup for W Hudson Bay sea ice again this year: polar bears still on the ice

No early breakup of Hudson Bay sea ice again this year: there is still extensive thick first year ice over most of Hudson Bay and all female polar bears fitted with tracking collars in Western Hudson Bay are still on the ice:
W Hudson Bay polar bears still out on the ice that’s packed together by winds. AE Derocher, 12 June 2020

Dercocher June 12 2020 tracking map Hudson Bay

Breakup of Hudson Bay sea ice as it relates to polar bear movement to land has been about the same since 1999 (about 2 weeks earlier than in the 1980s) and this year is shaping up to be no different: there is still no declining trend in date of sea ice breakup in Western Hudson Bay despite repeated predictions of imminent doom. An especially ‘early’ breakup year would have bears ashore before 15 June. Last year (2019) the first WH bear onshore was caught on film 5 July and problem bears were not recorded onshore in Churchill until the 2nd week of July.

Sea ice in Canada including Hudson Bay

Sea ice extent Canada 2020 June 12

Sea ice in Hudson Bay by ice thickness

Sea ice by stage of development (week of 8 June 2020):

Hudson Bay stage of development week of 2020 June 8

Last year at this time (week of 10 June 2019):

Hudson Bay weekly stage of development 2019 June 10

And in 2018 (week of 11 June 2018):

Hudson Bay weekly stage of development 2018 June 11

The Arctic picture

At 12 June 2020 (Day 164), sea ice over the entire Arctic looked like this:

masie_all_zoom_4km at 12 June 2020 Day 164

Same here jumping over a continent in the Rockies - a relatively large snowpack is present for this time of year, which acts as a type of refrigerant for evening katabatic winds.

Did not have a photo at the time of this above post, so stopped today and grabbed the following shot. The shot is of a north aspect. On the foreground there is a little snow showing in the timber at around 1700 meters. The shot is taken from 650 meters.

Interesting is that there has been a lot of rain thus far, and the snow did not significantly abate up high, although the rain contributed. If on track to summer, there will be heat to come and the snow will likely melt off eventually, yet it is super late being it is just shy of July now and hiking up there would not be so easy at the moment.

Multi-year snow? Yes, think it likely in certain places.

1592288717018.png

We (Petersburg) today again (4 or 5 days in a row) had a very severe thunderstorm and rain with hail. Temperature + 30C (this is not Miami, but the Baltic coast!)
The city damaged all surrounding towns / villages, but we (our small town) did not suffer again (only rain!)!
9c03316ffa9f220152cad1eae7b6a66d23d5a4921_803_759.jpeg

ae0cf0af630868499fc0991a2f0451322325d3155_828_1362.jpeg

e20b7f1d69447c393d868538f8f61f3e2390ea7ca_1124_622.jpg

And today, during a thunderstorm, a tragedy occurred in a suburb of St. Petersburg. Grandmother and grandson walked on the beach and lightning struck them. A boy (7 years old) died on the spot, his grandmother was taken to a hospital by helicopter (she is in serious condition)

A few days from the summer solstice and things are looking pretty interesting at higher elevations in the northern US - 19 inches of summer snow on June 18th.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it the middle of June or the middle of January? That's the question some residents in parts of Idaho and Montana may have been asking this week as their communities were transformed into a winter wonderland.

With the summer solstice just days away, Old Man Winter ruffled some feathers across the northern Rockies by delivering a large helping of snow, with totals surpassing a foot across the highest elevations from Tuesday into Wednesday.

The Blaine County Sheriff's Office in Idaho said on Facebook that it was issuing a "felony warrant for Mother Nature for Illegal Dumping." A storm total of about 10 inches of snow was measured north of Galena Summit while south of the summit, a total of 6 inches was measured. The sheriff's office also responded to several stuck vehicles in the area.

"If you see [Mother Nature], please show her a calendar. She thinks it's Junuary..." the sheriff's department wrote.

Winter storm warnings were issued for elevations above 5,500 feet in southwestern Montana, and forecasters warned that travel may be difficult on mountain roads. The warnings also extended into parts of north central Idaho. Department of transportation webcams from Idaho and Montana showed snow-covered roads throughout the day on Wednesday.

The National Weather Service (NWS) in Missoula, Montana, noted that it appeared snow amounts at several of their SNOTEL stations reported up to 19 inches of snow, which is more in one day than had been recorded in the last 30-40 years for those specific locations. The NWS called it a "historic heavy precipitation event" for Lemhi County, Idaho.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Wyoming-

Back
Top Bottom