The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

Recently a scientist, Freeman Dyson, who challenged the current climate politics passed away. Here is an article about him including what some prominent US papers "qualified their descriptions to reinforce the ruling dogma.

[HERETICAL THOUGHTS ABOUT SCIENCE AND SOCIETY]...That job security, and his own long history in science and physics, allowed him to carve his own path on climate issues. In 2007, he published an essay at Edge.org that is perhaps even more relevant today than when it was published.

In this article there is a link to Freeman's essay (see above). I had a read, and again it notes it was 2007, which was kind of interesting considering the subjects and it is now 13 years later; not that I might agree with everything said, yet the fact that Dyson challenges while making some interesting observations and points, was refreshing - here is a very small snip in an otherwise longer essay:

Freeman Dyson said:
We are lucky that we can be heretics today without any danger of being burned at the stake. But unfortunately I am an old heretic. Old heretics do not cut much ice. When you hear an old heretic talking, you can always say, “Too bad he has lost his marbles”, and pass on. What the world needs is young heretics. I am hoping that one or two of the people who read this piece may fill that role.
[...]
Another environmental danger that is even more poorly understood is the possible coming of a new ice-age. A new ice-age would mean the burial of half of North America and half of Europe under massive ice-sheets. We know that there is a natural cycle that has been operating for the last eight hundred thousand years. The length of the cycle is a hundred thousand years. In each hundred-thousand year period, there is an ice-age that lasts about ninety thousand years and a warm interglacial period that lasts about ten thousand years. We are at present in a warm period that began twelve thousand years ago, so the onset of the next ice-age is overdue. If human activities were not disturbing the climate, a new ice-age might already have begun. We do not know how to answer the most important question: do our human activities in general, and our burning of fossil fuels in particular, make the onset of the next ice-age more likely or less likely?

Thanks Laura for your reply. I understand it wasn't meant to be scientific, but I just felt some replies were interpreting it differently and adding real data which wasn't actually going anywhere.

The boiling frog analogy is spot on, I should have referenced that. I became interested in this thread more so after reading 'Comets and the Horns of Moses'......the woolly mammoth story I still quote to friends.

And I'm not giving up either....I think it'd be very easy to at the moment. I have had some doubts in the past but I still think things are going to get interesting sooner than later.

Sooner indeed came before later. In considering the initial response and my re-quote about the boiling frog, as well as the idea of giving up: Perhaps that's why there was such a lead up to present times. The long-con needs time to work, and by weakening people's spirits over years it'd be easier to introduce changes without significant resistance. And despite current times, moving towards summer in the northern hemisphere, it wouldn't be surprising to see a continuation of weather outside the averages and what that might bring.

Sooner indeed came before later. In considering the initial response and my re-quote about the boiling frog, as well as the idea of giving up: Perhaps that's why there was such a lead up to present times. The long-con needs time to work, and by weakening people's spirits over years it'd be easier to introduce changes without significant resistance. And despite current times, moving towards summer in the northern hemisphere, it wouldn't be surprising to see a continuation of weather outside the averages and what that might bring.

Yeah. I just re-read what I had written:

As for people getting tired of things, I can certainly attest to that myself. What I can also see is that this tiredness relates to the apparent "slowness" of movement of things; but, on the other hand, when I think back to say, 1997, I can see how truly dramatic the changes have been. That's one reason I started the "Hyperdimensional Politics" thread: we have to deal with scale and something like the "boiling frog" scenario. Of course, we also know about phase transitions and that when things build up incrementally over time, there can be sudden tipping points where everything goes really bad seemingly all of a sudden.

But yeah, more than anything, I think that emotional exhaustion from being on the roller coaster is taking its toll and, as the Bible said, "those who endure to the end will be saved..." It's not time to give up yet!!!

Despite what the Cs had said at the end of the Dec 28 session, I had NO IDEA how fast things would happen and how dreadfully we would sink in so short a time.

Lord have mercy! Talk about a phase transition.

These are just a few related articles on SOTT over the last couple of weeks.

What with the intensification of the Grand Solar Minimum and other factors (see below) it looks like the 'ice age arriveth'!

'Chills' anyone. 🥶

The Cs session 22 Feb 1997:

A: Climate is being influenced by three factors, and soon a fourth.

Q: (L) All right, I'll take the bait; give me the three factors, and also the fourth!.

A: 1) Wave approach.

2) Chlorofluorocarbon increase in atmosphere, thus affecting ozone layer.

3) Change in the planet's axis rotation orientation.

4) Artificial tampering by 3rd and 4th density STS forces in a number of different ways. ...

Q: (L) All right, were those given in the order in which they are occurring? The fourth being the one that's coming later?

A: Maybe, but remember this: a change in the speed of the rotation may not be reported while it is imperceptible except by instrumentation. Equator is slightly "wider" than the polar zones. But, this discrepancy is decreasing slowly currently. One change to occur in 21st Century is sudden glacial rebound, over Eurasia first, then North America. Ice ages develop much, much, much faster than thought.

These are just a few related articles on SOTT over the last couple of weeks.

Last time I wrote about Greenland was in the Fall. Below are some data, or should we say models based on data that indicate how the situation has been this past winter. Actually the melting season has not really begun yet, but it is only a few weeks away. On the whole the situation appears within the normal range:
The following maps show the situation as reported by polarportal.dk
Daily:
1587452511222.png
In the above graph, the spike at the end shows the recent snowfall. The above map of Greenland only shows what happened on April 20th.

Accumulated:
1587452402690.png
The red areas on the map ought to be where the snow or ice is lower than it used to be, but how and why that happens in winter, I still don't understand. In the graph one reads that the accumulation of snow this winter, has been an estimated 50 Gt below the average from 1981-2010. 50 Gt is 50 cubic kilometers of water.

Snow lines:
1587452750460.png
Bare ice area? Possibly the part of Greenland where there is no ice. As one can read, it varies from year to year. In Greenland the melting season is short. In a little over four month, a new winter season will begin, between now and then we will have read the usual headlines, or will this year be different?

polarportal.dk also has maps of the sea ice. These are apparently from another page, so for a change I went there http://osisaf.met.no/p/ice_extent_graphs.php where one also finds diagrammes showing the Antarctic sea ice, but first the Arctic:
1587454389588.png
For Antarctica:
1587454469247.png
In case someone would like to see satellite photos of what the clouds and the snow cover in Greenland look like from above, go to Satellitbilleder fra Grønland | Danmarks Meteorologiske Institut where one can choose an area of Greenland and select between different satellites. The next image is from April 20, 2020. It shows the southern tip of Greenland in full sunshine. We see it from above, but if one was on the ground and had a good view, it would be stunningly beautiful, and one would need sunglasses to protect the eyes from sunrays reflected from the snow.
1587456915694.png

Last edited:
In just the last couple of months i've been seeing so many social media posts from the Britain & Ireland showing sun dogs, strange clouds and really vivid sunsets , and i'm pretty sure it's not just because people have more time and what not because of the lockdown. Having lived in England for nearly 2 decades i'm pretty sure those kinda things were rare; i saw a moondog, once.

Anyway, as an example, and what prompted me to bring it up again (i've mentioned it elsewhere on the forum) was this stunning example of a sun dog from the 22nd April in Cork, Ireland

wiki said:
Sun dog - Wikipedia
Sun dogs are commonly caused by the refraction and scattering of light from plate-shaped hexagonal ice crystals either suspended in high and cold cirrus or cirrostratus clouds, or drifting in freezing moist air at low levels as diamond dust.[2]

Added: It's already up on SOTT: Giant rings around the sun over Cork, Ireland explained

Snowfall reported on social media in Morocco in mid-May. (14th)

Meanwhile in Asia a snow storm warning has been issued for Mongolia:

ULAN BATOR, May 14 (Xinhua) - Mongolia's National Agency for Meteorology and Environmental Monitoring on Thursday issued a dust and snow storm warning.

Heavy dust and snow storms are expected to hit several provinces of the eastern, southern and central parts of the country, such as Khentii, Dornogovi, Dundgovi, Sukhbaatar and Tuv on Friday, and wind speed will reach 26-34 meters per second in these areas, the weather monitoring agency said.

The agency advised citizens, especially nomadic herders, to take extra precautions against possible disasters.

Mongolia's climate is strongly continental, with long, frigid winters, and short, warm summers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And even though it's not snow perhaps we'll see more of this type of severe hailstorm event manifesting in the coming spring and summer seasons?

The Norwegian weather service sticks to its Global Warming guns "come hell or high water", - well not really - in those regions they might say "come hell or high snow":
Therefore, the string of records are fully in line with climate change
The city is Tromsø, the month is April, and the year is 2020. After having shoveled snow away from the driveway for the third time in one day, a question slowly but surely begins to creep in: What happened to those climate changes, really?
It appears the Norwegian weather service has called in the crisis psychologists, to ease the impact of the effects of the cold and snowy weather?
The psychologist's advice to the Northmen: - Don't worry about the weather In the capital, the taps today were opened in sun and heat, but in Northern Norway the weather is so bad that some people become ill at ease, says a psychologist.

Edit:
Disappointing spring in the north - here January 2 still stands as the hottest day of the year
If you think spring in the north has been a weather tragedy, then you're right. In several cities in Northern Norway, January 2 is still the hottest day of the year.

Last edited:
Well, this article is getting passed around today.

Looks like the "Ice Age" part of the plot is starting to get some play, and they called it "Sunshine Recession":rolleyes::

The sun has entered a ‘lockdown’ period, which could cause freezing weather, famine
By Chris Pollard, The Sun
May 14, 2020 | 2:58pm | Updated

Our sun has gone into lockdown, which could cause freezing weather, earthquakes and famine, scientists say.
The sun is currently in a period of “solar minimum,” meaning activity on its surface has fallen dramatically.

Experts believe we are about to enter the deepest period of sunshine “recession” ever recorded as sunspots have virtually disappeared.
Astronomer Dr. Tony Phillips said: “Solar Minimum is underway and it’s a deep one.”

“Sunspot counts suggest it is one of the deepest of the past century. The sun’s magnetic field has become weak, allowing extra cosmic rays into the solar system.”
“Excess cosmic rays pose a health hazard to astronauts and polar air travelers, affect the electro-chemistry of Earth’s upper atmosphere and may help trigger lightning.”

NASA scientists fear it could be a repeat of the Dalton Minimum, which happened between 1790 and 1830 — leading to periods of brutal cold, crop loss, famine and powerful volcanic eruptions.

Temperatures plummeted by up to 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) over 20 years, devastating the world’s food production.
On April 10, 1815, the second-largest volcanic eruption in 2,000 years happened at Mount Tambora in Indonesia, killing at least 71,000 people.
It also led to the so-called Year Without a Summer in 1816 — also nicknamed “eighteen hundred and froze to death” — when there was snow in July.
So far this year, the sun has been “blank” with no sunspots 76 percent of the time, a rate surpassed only once before in the Space Age — last year, when it was 77 percent blank.

NASA and its allied sock puppets in the media must be a bit riled up now given how the "solar minimum" information as it relates to an impending ice age (and what we're seeing unfold before our eyes) - is reaching ever greater numbers of people. See the "don't worry!" article below for how they lamely try to debunk the connections being made between the two.

It will be interesting to see what mental contortions these 'global warming' proponents make when things really get going.

What the solar minimum really means for life on Earth

You might have read some rather breathless reports about how the sun’s activity has been dimming toward a “solar minimum,” and how this could even cause problems like droughts or famine on Earth.

But there’s no need to panic: The sun is just fine and it’s not about to kick off a new ice age. Here’s what you need to know about a solar minimum:

The sun’s cycle

The sun varies in how brightly it shines over time, in a roughly predictable 11-year pattern called a solar cycle. As well as increasing in brightness at certain points during this cycle, the sun also shows a higher number of sunspots (dark patches on the surface of the sun) and solar flares.

Included in this cycle are regular periods of low sunspot activity called solar minimums.

During these periods, the sun does not become less active but rather becomes active in different ways, such as increased development of long-lived coronal holes. That makes these periods of interest to astronomers, and scientists are still figuring out exactly how the sun’s activity is related to phenomena like space weather.

It’s true that we are currently in a solar minimum, and that the minimum is forecasted to last longer than usual, just as it did in the previous solar cycle. But sunspot activity has not ceased entirely — in fact, two new sunspots were recently identified by NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory.

Entering a solar minimum doesn’t mean that the sun is about to stop shining, and it’s unlikely to have any impact whatsoever on life here on Earth.

A somewhat exasperated blog post by NASA’s Global Climate Change team says, “There is no impending ‘ice age’ or ‘mini ice age’ to be caused by an expected reduction in the sun’s energy output in the next several decades.”
It explains that the sun goes through a natural cycle of activity, sometimes outputting more energy with many sunspots and sometimes less with fewer.

On occasions, the sun’s activity does dip to lower levels, in an event called a Grand Solar Minimum. The last Grand Solar Minimum was in the late 1600s, and coincided with a time of cooler global temperatures called the Little Ice Age.

But this drop in temperatures was related mostly to a rise in volcanic activity. A totally different set of factors affect the planet today.

So even if we were in a new Grand Solar Minimum, there’s no need to panic.

“Even if a Grand Solar Minimum were to last a century, global temperatures would continue to warm,” NASA says. “Because more factors than just variations in the sun’s output change global temperatures on Earth, the most dominant of those today being the warming coming from human-induced greenhouse gas emissions.”

NASA emphasizes that global warming caused by greenhouse gas emissions from the burning of fossil fuels is six times greater than any cooling which could be expected due to a Grand Solar Minimum.

So you should be worried about the Earth, not because the sun is going to kick off a new ice age, but rather because of the devastating impact of climate change.

NASA and its allied sock puppets in the media must be a bit riled up now given how the "solar minimum" information as it relates to an impending ice age (and what we're seeing unfold before our eyes) - is reaching ever greater numbers of people. See the "don't worry!" article below for how they lamely try to debunk the connections being made between the two.

It will be interesting to see what mental contortions these 'global warming' proponents make when things really get going.

Yes, they are mental contortionists. They say that people should not panic of the earth cooling, but wouldn't that be something to truly celebrate if one believes that the planet is going to burn into an apocalyptic oblivion in the very near future? Instead they want us to panic on the things which they determine to be the right things. So no need to panic about a coming ice age, but keep panicking about global warming and the end of the world.
So even if we were in a new Grand Solar Minimum, there’s no need to panic.

“Even if a Grand Solar Minimum were to last a century, global temperatures would continue to warm,” NASA says. “Because more factors than just variations in the sun’s output change global temperatures on Earth, the most dominant of those today being the warming coming from human-induced greenhouse gas emissions.”

"...global temperatures would continue to warm...". Famous last words from NASA. Trump turned the funding off for the WHO, perhaps he could do the same to NASA.

Yes, they are mental contortionists. They say that people should not panic of the earth cooling, but wouldn't that be something to truly celebrate if one believes that the planet is going to burn into an apocalyptic oblivion in the very near future? Instead they want us to panic on the things which they determine to be the right things. So no need to panic about a coming ice age, but keep panicking about global warming and the end of the world.

"...global temperatures would continue to warm...". Famous last words from NASA. Trump turned the funding off for the WHO, perhaps he could do the same to NASA.

That last bit was utterly, staggeringly, "Dunning-Kruger-ish".

I can't believe such morons are in charge of things.

Well, this article is getting passed around today.

Looks like the "Ice Age" part of the plot is starting to get some play, and they called it "Sunshine Recession":rolleyes::

The sun has entered a ‘lockdown’ period, which could cause freezing weather, famine
By Chris Pollard, The Sun
May 14, 2020 | 2:58pm | Updated

Our sun has gone into lockdown, which could cause freezing weather, earthquakes and famine, scientists say.
The sun is currently in a period of “solar minimum,” meaning activity on its surface has fallen dramatically.

Experts believe we are about to enter the deepest period of sunshine “recession” ever recorded as sunspots have virtually disappeared.
Astronomer Dr. Tony Phillips said: “Solar Minimum is underway and it’s a deep one.”

“Sunspot counts suggest it is one of the deepest of the past century. The sun’s magnetic field has become weak, allowing extra cosmic rays into the solar system.”
“Excess cosmic rays pose a health hazard to astronauts and polar air travelers, affect the electro-chemistry of Earth’s upper atmosphere and may help trigger lightning.”

NASA scientists fear it could be a repeat of the Dalton Minimum, which happened between 1790 and 1830 — leading to periods of brutal cold, crop loss, famine and powerful volcanic eruptions.

Temperatures plummeted by up to 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) over 20 years, devastating the world’s food production.
On April 10, 1815, the second-largest volcanic eruption in 2,000 years happened at Mount Tambora in Indonesia, killing at least 71,000 people.
It also led to the so-called Year Without a Summer in 1816 — also nicknamed “eighteen hundred and froze to death” — when there was snow in July.
So far this year, the sun has been “blank” with no sunspots 76 percent of the time, a rate surpassed only once before in the Space Age — last year, when it was 77 percent blank.
The sun on lockdown-as above so below?

Back
Top Bottom