The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

Okay, so I'm wondering about something from ice age material in the sessions. Rebound has been mentioned a few times in the sessions.
[...]

So yeah, basically I'm not sure how else to interpret the idea that the world's climate was not much colder away from the ice sheets. I'm guessing that there are very different ways to start an ice age.
[..]

A few articles come to mind which may be of interest, if you haven't seen them already:

They're focused on Europe, and are regarding the speed of onset, and what conditions may have proceeded - i found them interesting because they seemed congruent with some of the commentary in the sessions:

(2021)

Little Ice Age triggered by unusually warm period, unprecedented cold struck within 20 years

', they noticed something surprising: a sudden change from very warm conditions in the late 1300s to unprecedented cold conditions in the early 1400s, only 20 years later [...]

Ice Age summers in Europe 20,000+ years ago: (2022)

Ice Age summers in Central Europe were at times significantly WARMER than previously thought, new research reveals

"Analysis of the data obtained from the ECGs shows that from 45,000 to 22,000 years before present it was much drier in Central Europe than it is today, with up to 70 percent less humidity," said Dr. Charlotte Prud'homme from the University of Lausanne, the study's lead author. "This allows us for the first time to quantify previous findings about this period." The novelty in these investigations on ECGs is that summer temperatures at the time were significantly higher than previously thought. "Although summers during the cold maximum of the last glacial were about four to eleven degrees Celsius colder than today, they were only one to four degrees below the values of short milder climatic phases that occurred during the last glacial," explained Fischer. "Given these summer temperatures, we cannot exclude that Ice Age human populations may have made a seasonal living in Central Europe during the cold maximum, at a time for which it is generally assumed that humans could not survive here," added Dr. Olaf Jöris of Römisch-Germanisches-Zentralmuseum, who was also involved in the study.

Rainfall patterns, flooding, and Ice Ages: (2020)

Highest flooding in Europe for 500 years, historical records show correlation with abnormal cold

The data analysis identified nine periods of floods that were more abundant and the associated regions. Among the most notable periods are 1560-1580 (western and central Europe), 1760-1800 (most part of Europe), 1840-1870 (western and southern Europe), and 1990-2016 (western and central Europe). According to the analysis, the current phase is the third most severe regarding floods"In our previous studies, especially those focused on alpine basins with glacial presence, we knew there was a high number of flood periods in the past that coincided with cold climate abnormalities"These results seem to contradict the observation which states that in some areas, such as northern-eastern Europe, the recent warm weather is aligned with severe floods.
The seasonality of floods within the year has changed as well. Previously, the 41% of floods in central Europe took place in summer, compared to the nowadays' 55%.

Extreme cold weather in Europe, it is not only the extreme north such as Norway and Finnland that is suffering from an extended winter: cold and snow have returned to much of Europe, catastrophic frosts in the growing regions of the continent, particularly in the central areas, summer-winter weather from one day to the next

Clima.png

Europe Breaks Historic Low Temperature Records As Rare Spring Snow Falls On Major Cities 🥶

"April 2024 will go down as one of the most incredible flips on record ... Summer to winter for some," so say the experts.
Following a spell of anomalous spring warmth, exceptional cold is now striking the likes of Italy where dozens of low temperature records have fallen (for the time of year).

Italians have been enduring some of the coldest daily highs in books dating back 100+ years, to 1873. And even at low elevations, Tmaxes have struggled to 7C (44.6F).

"Absolutely historic," writes @extremetemps on X.

In France, the southern city of Nice, with 4.4C (39.9F), has set it lowest late-April temperature since 1951.
Technically that's true, but that 1951 reading was actually set at night. Monday's 4.4C occurred during the day which, according to researchers, "probably hasn't happened [in the French Riviera] since the Little Ice Age."

Similarly in Denmark's capital Copenhagen, a very cold day was endured there.
"When the final numbers are in it may turn out to have been the second-coldest day in 250 years this late in the spring," writes local weather researcher Sebastian Pelt (certainly the coldest since 1941). Elsewhere, Jægersborg's 2.7C (36.9F) made for Denmark's lowest daily max this late since 1988.

Tryvannshøgda, Norway posted -4.4C (24.1F) overnight Monday, the lowest temperature so late in spring since 1973.

As well as one of the coldest late-April's on record, this will go down as one of Europe's snowiest, and all. Nations have gone from summer-like warmth to heavy late-season snow in a matter of days.

1713876873169.png
In den Weinbergen und Obstkulturen der Alpen werden Feuer gegen den Frost gezündet. © imago/Agencia EFE
Fires are lit against the frost in the vineyards and orchards of the Alps.

A week ago in Italy, temperatures of around 30 degrees caused apple, pear and cherry blossoms to burst into bloom, and vines also sprouted. In the coming days, sub-zero temperatures are expected at night, also in the valleys between Vinschgau and Trento. In Trento two degrees below zero are expected, in Kaltern Lake four degrees below zero and in Vinschgau even ten degrees below zero.

Last edited:
So what does this mean? I'm not sure. Glacial rebound implies an ice age of some type and degree, which implies a temperature drop to some degree. Doesn't it? So I'm wondering about an assumption of mine, namely that the incoming ice age will come with a drop in temperature. I was picturing something like a nuclear winter, but with comets or a volcanic event. So that's a more catastrophic ice age scenario.

Could it be that ice ages or periods of quick glacial rebound can also come in a more mild form, with relatively stable before-and-after temperatures, occurring due to certain tipping point being reached? Like the glaciers just start growing like mad over just the course of a few months, due in part to atmospheric changes and massive precipitation in Northern climes, triggered by something like the AMOC shutdown, for instance, but without a serious volcanic or cometary event, AND without a much more serious drop in global temperature?

So yeah, basically I'm not sure how else to interpret the idea that the world's climate was not much colder away from the ice sheets. I'm guessing that there are very different ways to start an ice age.

I don't think it has to happen via comets or eruptions, although certain ice ages do appear to have been precipitated by such events. But the way the next one is described in the sessions does imply some serious chaos. Can you imagine if vast swathes of Southern Canada and Northern USA, Europe, Russia and China were no longer suitable for growing crops, or even habitation for many? At the very least, a new ice age as described in the sessions implies mass starvation and mass migration. In addition, the large increase in precipitation that causes the build up of the ice sheets is likely to take a serious toll on crop growing, and that's before an ice age sets in.

We had quite a number of very hot days in Germany a couple of weeks ago (reaching as high as 28°C), now basically followed by winter weather with several days of hard frost at night and snow during the day. Consequence? Fairly dramatic crop failure has to be expected this year!

I do think that just a couple of relatively cold spring/summer/fall weather patterns could probably be enough (when it happens in larger areas of the Northern Hemisphere) to trigger some kind of ice age, probably accelerating much faster than anyone would expect through a domino effect, or rather, a snowball effect. We might be experiencing the first signs of something like this developing.

Back
Top Bottom