The Great Winter of 1709 and its deadly consequences - Would we do better?

Ellipse

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
This merciless winter claimed the lives of many Europeans and disrupted two major wars. The extreme cold of that year encouraged the spread of the virus throughout Europe.

The great winter.jpg

It took only one night in 1709 for the climate to change. On 5 January, temperatures plummeted, not surprisingly in the early hours of winter in Europe, but 1709 was no ordinary cold snap. The next day the sun rose over a continent frozen from Italy to Scandinavia and from England to Russia, the day after that, and then every day for almost three months.

The extreme cold caused food shortages that killed hundreds of thousands of people in France alone. It froze lagoons in the Mediterranean and changed the course of a war. From a shivering England, the philosopher William Derham wrote: "Never in living memory have we known a winter so severe.

THE FRENCH EXCEPTION

The country most affected by the terrible cold snap was undoubtedly France. The year 1709 had already started badly. The French peasants had to cope with poor harvests, heavy taxes and the enlistment for the War of the Spanish Succession. The cold spells endured at the end of 1708 were nothing compared to the plummeting temperatures of the night of 5-6 January. For the next two weeks, snow fell on France and the thermometers showed temperatures of around -20°C.

With no weather forecasts, the authorities had no time to prepare for what is now known as the Great Winter. Thousands of people died of hypothermia before measures were taken to help citizens. Other victims of these extreme conditions were animals killed by frost in their pens, stables or hen houses.

Throughout France, rivers, canals and ports were frozen and roads blocked by snow. In the port of Marseille and at various points on the Rhône and Garonne rivers, the ice supported the weight of carts, making it about 28 cm thick (11 Inch). In towns without supplies, there are accounts of people being forced to burn their furniture to keep warm. In Paris, supplies were suspended for three months.

Even the wealthiest people who thought they were safe from starvation with their stocks of food and drink soon realised that the cold made them unusable. Bread, meat and some alcoholic drinks simply froze. The only liquids left were spirits such as vodka, whisky and rum. The icy trap of the climate closed in on the poor and the rich alike. The vast mansions of the elite with their large windows, designed to impress but without any practical consideration, let in a chill air.

In Versailles, Elisabeth-Charlotte of Bavaria, Duchess of Orleans and sister-in-law of King Louis XIV, wrote to the Duchess Sophie of Hanover: "It is so terribly cold that it cannot be expressed. I am sitting in front of a blazing fire, there is a screen in front of my door, which is closed, so that I can sit here with a fur around my neck and my feet in a bearskin, but I am still shivering and can hardly hold my pen. I have never known such a winter, the wine is freezing in the bottles."

cereals.jpg
The government of Louis XIV had to face a catastrophic food crisis caused by the extreme cold. A special commission was set up to distribute grain as a matter of urgency. It was chaired by Henri-François d'Aguesseau, pictured in the engraving above. Great evils require great remedies: anyone caught stocking up on grain risked being sentenced to forced labour in the galleys or even execution.

A WHITE COAT

In the rest of Europe, too, the strange consequences of the cold appeared. Many witnesses told how the sudden drop in temperature weakened what was perceived as robust. Tree trunks broke with a clatter, as if an invisible woodcutter was working to cut them down. Church bells cracked instead of ringing.

In London, where it was later called the Great Frost, the Thames was frozen over. The canals and harbour of Amsterdam suffered a similar fate. The Baltic Sea froze for four long months and travellers were said to have crossed it on foot or horseback from Denmark to Sweden or Norway. Almost all the rivers in northern and central Europe froze, even the hot springs in Aachen. Heavily laden carts made their way across the frozen lakes of Switzerland and wolves prowled the villages in search of food, sometimes preying on the frozen villagers.

Versailles
The poor died in their slums and the rich shivered in their castles, as in Versailles, where the Duchess of Orleans 'struggled to hold her pen'.

In the Adriatic, many ships were trapped in the ice and their crews died of cold and hunger. In Venice, people used ice skates instead of the traditional gondolas to walk around the city. Rome and Florence were cut off by heavy snowfalls. In Spain, the Ebro River was covered in ice and even the gentle Valencia saw its olive trees annihilated by the cold.

These extreme weather conditions also had an impact on politics. The conflict between France and Great Britain in the War of the Spanish Succession was suspended until the warm weather returned. More importantly, the freezing temperatures would have contributed to Russia becoming a regional power. Indeed, while historians consider Peter the Great's Russian victory over Sweden at the Battle of Poltava in June 1709 to be a decisive step in this transition, it would have been won over a depleted Swedish army weakened by the deaths of many soldiers due to the appalling weather conditions.

SPRING FEVER

However, appalling as they were, these icy conditions were only the first in a series of plagues to hit Europe that year. Temperatures remained unseasonably low until April, but once the snow and ice melted, they were replaced by floods.

The year 1709 also saw a proliferation of diseases. After the emergence of a virus in Rome, the cold and hunger of the Great Winter facilitated its spread and led to a Europe-wide epidemic in 1709 and 1710. To make matters worse, the plague also struck that year, coming from the Ottoman Empire via Hungary.

But of all the evils that plagued Europe, hunger was in many ways the most relentless. The consequences of food shortages lasted until the end of 1710. Fruit trees, cereals, vines, vegetables, flocks and herds were all lost and the following summer's crops could not even be planted. In the face of this situation, the price of cereals reached record highs in 1709, up to six times the usual price.

In France, Louis XIV organised bread distributions and forced the aristocracy to follow his example. He also tried to keep track of all grain stocks to prevent hoarding by sending inspectors to ensure compliance with the law. Despite his goodwill, such measures were derisory in the face of the atrocious misery that was taking hold. This was followed by episodes of violence in which peasants reduced to fern soup formed gangs to loot bakeries or rob grain convoys.

The "Great Winter" and its macabre wake had tragic consequences for hundreds of thousands of people. In France, the population declined sharply in 1709 and 1710: 600,000 more people died and 200,000 fewer were born than the annual average at the time. This was all it took to finish off an already faltering economy.

A LIVELY DEBATE

Even today, this period holds the record for the coldest European winter in the last 500 years and still occupies the minds of climatologists. Various theories have emerged to try to explain it.

In the years before the cold snap, several volcanoes erupted around Europe, including Teide on the Canary Islands, Santorini in the Mediterranean and Vesuvius near Naples. Huge volumes of dust and ash filled the atmosphere and blocked the sun's path.

The year 1709 also fell within the period known to climatologists as the Maunder Minimum (1645 - 1715), when solar energy emissions weakened considerably. Whether the winter disaster in Europe in 1709 was indeed the result of these factors is still open to debate.

Source (French): National Geographic

Well, I remember reading that this winter, then one we're on in the Northern hemisphere, was so mild that it spared Europe some painful lessons, but there's also the fact that the way Europe has been behaving lately, it has been described as going back to the dark ages, deindustrialized and with no energy.

So, imagine that winter, the 1709 one, without access to cheap gas, and no industry and little food... could be just as devastating, specially because the average European living today is not used to life without comfort and conveniences.

There was an event in the 1800s which lead to crop failure and famine....Except cold came in the summer months...Not the coldest temps on record, it was the timing. A senario like this could easily happen again....I read about this some time back in, "The Farmer's Almanac.":

The Year Without a Summer Was a Bizarre Weather Disaster in 1816​

A Volcanic Eruption Led to Crop Failures on Two Continents​

SNIP:
The Year Without a Summer, a peculiar 19th-century disaster, played out during 1816 when the weather in Europe and North America took a bizarre turn that resulted in widespread crop failures and even famine.

The weather in 1816 was unprecedented. Spring arrived as usual. But then the seasons seemed to turn backward, as cold temperatures returned. In some places, the sky appeared permanently overcast. The lack of sunlight became so severe that farmers lost their crops and food shortages were reported in Ireland, France, England, and the United States.

In Virginia, Thomas Jefferson retired from the presidency and farming at Monticello, sustained crop failures that sent him further into debt. In Europe, the gloomy weather helped inspire the writing of a classic horror tale, Frankenstein.

It would be more than a century before anyone understood the reason for the peculiar weather disaster: the eruption of an enormous volcano on a remote island in the Indian Ocean a year earlier had thrown enormous amounts of volcanic ash into the upper atmosphere.

The dust from Mount Tambora, which had erupted in early April 1815, had shrouded the globe. And with sunlight blocked, 1816 did not have a normal summer.

CONTINUE READING:

This subject is fascinating, Ellipse.

There is a book that talks about an historical moment written by a historian and which puts in parallel the climate and the world situation, revolutions and wars.

Global Crisis: War, Climate Change and Catastrophe in the Seventeenth Century by Geoffrey Parker​

How to account for decades of worldwide war, revolution, and human suffering in the seventeenth century? A master historian uncovers the disturbing answer.

Revolutions, droughts, famines, invasions, wars, regicides – the calamities of the mid-seventeenth century were not only unprecedented, they were agonisingly widespread. A global crisis extended from England to Japan, and from the Russian Empire to sub-Saharan Africa. North and South America, too, suffered turbulence. The distinguished historian Geoffrey Parker examines first-hand accounts of men and women throughout the world describing what they saw and suffered during a sequence of political, economic and social crises that stretched from 1618 to the 1680s. Parker also deploys scientific evidence concerning climate conditions of the period, and his use of ‘natural’ as well as ‘human’ archives transforms our understanding of the World Crisis. Changes in the prevailing weather patterns during the 1640s and 1650s – longer and harsher winters, and cooler and wetter summers – disrupted growing seasons, causing dearth, malnutrition, and disease, along with more deaths and fewer births. Some contemporaries estimated that one-third of the world died, and much of the surviving historical evidence supports their pessimism.

Parker’s demonstration of the link between climate change and worldwide catastrophe 350 years ago stands as an extraordinary historical achievement. And the contemporary implications of his study are equally important: are we at all prepared today for the catastrophes that climate change could bring tomorrow?

Here the beginning of the book, to give an idea how this situation was horrible and everywhere.

‘It was so harsh a winter that no-one could remember another like it … only after Easter could the peasants go to their fields and begin to farm’

(Hans Heberle, Zeytregister [Diary], Ulm, Germany, 1627)

‘The times here are so miserable that never in the memory of man has the like famine and mortality happened’

(East India Company officials, letter, Surat, India, 1631)

‘Those who live in times to come will not believe that we who are alive now have suffered such toil, pain and misery’

(Fra Francesco Voersio of Cherasco, Diario del contagio [Plague Diary], Italy, 1631)

‘There have been so many deaths that the like of it has never been heard in human history’

(Hans Conrad Lang, Tagebuch [Diary], South Ge
rmany, 1634)

‘Jiangnan has never experienced this kind of disaster’

(Lu Shiyi, Zhixue lu [Diary], South China, 1641)

‘Among all the past occurrences of disaster and rebellion, there had never been anything worse than this’

(County Gazetteer, Yizhou, North China, 1641)

‘The whole monarchy trembled and shook, since Portugal, Catalonia, the East Indies, the Azores and Brazil had rebelled’

(Viceroy don Juan de Palafox y Mendoza, Mexico, 1641)

‘[These] days are days of shaking and this shaking is universal: the Palatinate, Bohemia, Germany, Catalonia, Portugal, Ireland, England’

(Jeremiah Whitaker, Ejrenopojos [The peacemaker], England, 1643)

‘This seems to be one of the epochs in which every nation is turned upside down, leading some great minds to suspect that we are approaching the end of the world’

(Nicandro [The victor], pamphlet, Madrid, Spain, 1643)

‘'Tis tru we have had many such black days in England in former ages, but those parallel'd to the present are to the shadow of a mountain compar'd to the eclipse of the moon’

(James Howell, Collected letters, England, 1647)

‘There was great hunger throughout the Christian world’

(Inscription, Old Sambor Cathedral, Ukraine, 1648)

‘The pryces of victuall and cornes of all sortes wer heigher than ever heirtofore aneyone living could remember … The lyke had never beine seine in this kingdome’

(Sir James Balfour, ‘Some shorte memorialls and passages of this yeire’, Scotland, 1649)

‘If one ever had to believe in the Last Judgment, I think it is happening right now’

(Judge Renaud de Sévigné, letter, Paris, France, 1652)

‘The elements, servants of an irate God, combine to snuff out the rest of humankind: mountains spew out fire; the earth shakes; plague contaminates the air’

(Jean-Nicolas de Parival, Abrégé de l'histoire de ce siècle de fer [Short history of this Iron Century], Brussels, South Netherlands, 1653)

‘A third of the world has died’

(Abbess Angélique Arnauld, letter, Port-Royale-des-Champs, France, 1654)

‘I no sooner perceived myself in the world but I found myself in a storm, which hath lasted almost hitherto’

(John Locke, ‘First Tract on Government’, London, 1660)

‘Because of the dearth sent to us by God, we wanted to sell our property to our relatives, but they refused, and left us to die from hunger’

(Gavril Niţă, Moldavian peasant, 1660)

‘Transylvania never knew such misery as this last year’.

(Mihail Teleki, Chancellor of Transylvania, Journal, 1661)

‘So many prophets and prophetesses arose in all the cities of Anatolia that everyone believed wholeheartedly that the End of Days had come … These were indeed miraculous occurrences and wonders, the like of which had never happened since the day the world was created’

(Leib ben Oyzer, Beschraybung fun Shabsai Zvi [Description of Shabbatai Zvi], on events in the Ottoman empire in 1665–6)

‘The world was aflame from the time I was 15 [1638] to the time I was 18’

(Enomoto Yazaemon, Oboegaki [Memoranda], Saitama, Japan, 1670)

‘Since [1641] I am not afraid of seeing dead people, because I saw so many of them at that time’

(Yao Tinglin, Linian ji [Record of successive years], Shanghai, China, c. 1670)

‘Many people held their lives to be of no value, for the area was so wasted and barren, the common people so poor and had suffered so much, that essentially they knew none of the joys of being alive … Every day one would hear that someone had hanged himself from a beam and killed himself. Others, at intervals, cut their throats or threw themselves into the river’

(Huang Liuhong, Fuhui quanshu [Complete book concerning happiness and benevolence], about events in Shandong, China, c. 1670)
519ygbIFU0L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You mean you are pure consciousness and will not be affected if it happen again? 🙂
Well, what I tried to say was that we are quite vulnerable to even the most minute turbulence in this world. It doesn't take much to
knock us off our equilibrium point:
  • No food? Ouch.
  • No shelter? Ouch.
  • A shelter, but no food? Ouch.
  • A shelter, food, but not medication? Ouch.
  • A shelter, food, medication, but no contacts? Ouch.
  • A shelter, food, medication, contacts, and a 150-meter tsunami wave? You get the idea.
In that sense, there are limits to what we can resist. As far as I understand, being incarnated in 3D at the time of the transition is not a strict requirement to advance to 4D. Even if we die in the process of helping other people, it's not "the end of the world."
Q: Is there anything that COULD make a difference? Or is it necessary to make a difference?

A: In the biggest picture, no.

Q: So, it's not necessary to make a difference?

A: The soul, she counteth. The body, she doth not!
Q: Well, you are NOT improving my mood! I don't want to tell people things like that, that they have to see themselves as only souls and that the physical body is just a garment to be worn out and tossed aside. They can't handle it when they are faced with imminent possible suffering. They will get hysterical!

A: Maybe they will. And maybe they need to. Maybe they need to learn something. Nothing lasts forever, and thank goodness for that!
Therefore, hanging dearly to our little physical vehicles and obsessing over whether a super-volcano, an earthquake, a virus, or a tree branch is going "kill" us is futile.

If our (physical) body doesn't survive, our consciousness will.

Therefore, hanging dearly to our little physical vehicles and obsessing over whether a super-volcano, an earthquake, a virus, or a tree branch is going "kill" us is futile.

If our (physical) body doesn't survive, our consciousness will.
The reductio ad absurdumish boil down of this is: we’re all going to die anyway so what’s the point to worrying about or figuring out anything? And I have to admit I am as guilty of that as anybody. It could even be called a cop out. Whatever. F it. It’s all a big joke anyway. This outlook is needed for balancing the obsessive 3D drive to survive but it can also be a rationalization to avoid doing the work on oneself. Again, I'm not making accusations, i’m as guilty as the next.

Fantastic. The official narratives have all the wars of this period being about power politics but what if those seemingly unenlightened turf wars were really about food and food production? There are places they admit as much but tend to downplay the significance while emphasizing politics.

“Defeats, famine, and mounting debt greatly weakened France. Between 1693 and 1710, over two million people died in two famines, made worse as foraging armies seized food supplies from the villages.[97] In desperation, Louis ordered a disastrous invasion of the English island of Guernsey in the autumn of 1704 with the aim of raiding their successful harvest.”

So if there is a concerted effort to downplay these cosmic and catastrophic fluctuations so as to keep us like deer in the headlights of yet another predictable butt-kicking, then this portrayal of history as primarily an orgy of petty feuds and power politics could be viewed as so much more misdirection.

The reductio ad absurdumish boil down of this is: we’re all going to die anyway so what’s the point to worrying about or figuring out anything? And I have to admit I am as guilty of that as anybody. It could even be called a cop out. Whatever. F it. It’s all a big joke anyway. This outlook is needed for balancing the obsessive 3D drive to survive but it can also be a rationalization to avoid doing the work on oneself. Again, I'm not making accusations, i’m as guilty as the next.
Well, I see it a bit of both ways... on the one hand, I kind of am with the crowd of, the body is temporary and it'll pass and what lives on, is my eternal soul.. so it doesn't matter really how it's going to expire. Which is technically true.

On the other hand, this body of mine, and its presence in this world, my interactions with certain individuals, the pleasant and unpleasant ones, the mundane, the friendship.. all of it, are made possible because I inhabit this body, it's the interface which I use to interact with reality, learn what I planned on learning, so.. it's not really that much of a useless piece of meat.. it's tied to my soul, an expression of it almost.

And so, without making survival the ultimate goal, I also don't want to "dishonor" my physical existence willy nilly. The way I see it, without denying the fear of death and pain, is death will most certainly come, and I will accept it, but until that day arrives, I intend to live on in the best way possible, which does include some prepping.

does that make sense? living includes surviving, but surviving doesn't always include actually living.

This merciless winter claimed the lives of many Europeans and disrupted two major wars. The extreme cold of that year encouraged the spread of the virus throughout Europe.

The great winter.jpg

The anomalies of that year were caught here with regard to wind direction.:

The most immediate cause of cold winters in Europe is usually an icy wind from Siberia. "What you would expect would be long runs of easterly winds with a well-developed anticyclone over Scandinavia sucking in cold air from Siberia," says Wheeler. Instead, his data show a predominance of southerly and westerly winds - which would normally bring warm air to Europe. "There were only occasional northerlies and easterlies and those were never for more than a few days," says Wheeler. Another odd finding was that January was unusually stormy. Winter storms tend to bring milder, if wilder, weather to Europe. "This combination of cold, storms and westerlies suggests some other mechanism was responsible for that winter."

Back
Top Bottom